Hotwire Reviews | Glassdoor

1.0
Hotwire President Neha Parikh
Neha Parikh

Sort: PopularRatingDate

Pros
  • Great culture, excellent benefits, great work life balance (in 40 reviews)

• Great benefits - good location - flexible schedule (in 13 reviews)

Cons
  • Work-life balance are non-existent depending on the group (in 5 reviews)

• Often too conservative and not willing to take risks (this is changing), growth opportunities are limited, compensation is lower than competitors (in 5 reviews)

"Attrition and politics brought the company to shambles"

Current Employee - Anonymous Employee in San Francisco, CA

I have been working at Hotwire full-time (More than 3 years)

Pros

- Expedia brand name

- Travel perks, but nothing special unlike other big companies

Cons

I don't know where to start. Everything is wrong with the company right now.

- Highly negative and toxic environment
    - People with less credentials were promoted to leadership positions and handed off big portion of business. They are failing miserably and covering up to survive or blaming others within the org.
    - People don't want to work proactively
    - Management keeps making promises, but nothing is changing
    - Clean slate to people who do not perform or constantly break things
    - Engineers have no existence in the company, even though management claims to be a technology company
    - Product leadership thinks they are driving the company, remaining teams like marketing and engineering are treated as their puppets
    - If you are active and want to progress, this isn't the right place to work. Look somewhere else. Your career will take a hit in negative direction and you won't learn anything

Advice to Management

Change company culture and hold low-performing individuals in senior leadership accountable or show them the door to exist for good

"Stay away! Company is in horrible state"

Current Employee - Anonymous Employee in San Francisco, CA

I have been working at Hotwire full-time (More than 3 years)

Pros

Expedia perks and its brand name
    Location
    Remote work flexibility

Cons

- Politics, you can't get any work done if you don't play politics or become a kiss-ass to certain individuals within the organization

- Management

- Lack of motivation

- People leaving at lightning speed

- Low pay

- No growth opportunities

- Constant changes and unstable working conditions

Advice to Management

Please listen to individual teams within the organization, rather focusing on few teams. For once stick to a decision and take definitive action. Few individuals in upper management are toxic and counter intuitive to growth, please do something about them otherwise the productivity will keep going down

"no prospects"

Former Employee - Software Engineer in San Francisco, CA
    Former Employee - Software Engineer in San Francisco, CA

I worked at Hotwire full-time (More than 5 years)

Pros

Good business model which scaled for a long time

Cons

It used to be great company, people, culture. Over the last couple of years, things are starting to wear off and environment is becoming chaotic with layoffs and people leaving.

"Culture, leadership, and company needs a rehaul"

I worked at Hotwire full-time

Pros

-Benefits are the same at Expedia

Cons

- Leadership has no idea what they are doing with people getting promoted and leading teams without any experience
    - No marketing chops across the org, with basic marketing 101 not in place
    - VP of Product really leads the org, Henrik's just a figure head
    - Don't expect culture, communication, and transparency to be like Expedia, it's not. Total joke
    - Poor leadership across the entire organization
    - Super political environment with people backstabbing each other, going around you to management to undermine you, and overall creating a very difficult environment to succeed. Plan to work 60-70 hours just to get work done because you're so busy managing internal politics.

Advice to Management

Hire leadership who actually know what they're doing

"N/A"

Current Employee - Anonymous Employee in San Francisco, CA

I have been working at Hotwire (More than a year)

Pros

The location is about all that's positive.

Cons

Poor work life balance.

"Was good, then bad and getting worse"

Former Employee - Anonymous Employee in San Francisco, CA
    Former Employee - Anonymous Employee in San Francisco, CA

I worked at Hotwire full-time (More than a year)

Pros

The travel benefits, the opportunity of learning new technology because there was so much free time.

Cons

Hiring decision was unclear, some didn't even meet the basic criteria but still got the jobs and even survived the recent lay-off.

Advice to Management

Just keep doing re-org every 3 months and nothing will get done.

"Worst job I've ever had"

Pros

There's a keg in the break room. Also, I was so bored that I had plenty of time to catch up on NPR.

Cons

First, on a wider scale: The company says they value innovation, but when new design, copy, or photo ideas are offered, they are immediately shut down. People become very defensive and complain about having to do extra work to make changes, and would rather stick to doing the bare minimum to get by. I was told during my interview that this was a place where change is embraced, but boooyyyy was that a gross exaggeration. I was literally told at one point that it wasn't my job to come up with new ideas--it was my job to deliver what was asked of me.

Business wise, the company is not doing so well. Years of refusing to innovate has really left them in the lurch, and they are constantly having to play catch up with competitors just to stay afloat, forget about being a leader in the industry. Departments do not communicate well with each other, which has created problems with achieving a consistent brand/product. People also seem to be leaving left and right, not to mention there is a hiring freeze despite a very urgent need for more people and resources.

Secondly, on a team scale: I worked with some pretty unprofessional people here (and this is a vast understatement). Sometimes I would be given a project and a teammate would say "thank God it's you and not me, that team/project sucks." Or project assignments would change and if I were assigned to a project they used to have, they would throw a fit. Seriously? Calm down. This team did NOT believe in working together. A lot of times I would offer new ideas to an individual, who would tell me that it's a great idea, and then I would suggest it in a meeting and that same individual would tell me it's horrible and do everything they could do to throw me under the bus. I am always open to constructive criticism, but I would also explain the logic behind my ideas/work so that they could get a better understanding of my suggestion---to which they would reply "well I just don't like it, but I don't have a good reason why." So it quickly became obvious to me that this was a matter of pettiness and nothing more. But apparently I wasn't the only person on the receiving end of this behavior: I constantly heard people talk about others behind their backs. Even on my first day of work. There is soooo much backstabbing and politics and negativity, which definitely is not the kind of environment I enjoy working in. I was also left to my own devices when I first started as my team did not bother to support me or welcome me in any way.

Needless to say, this negative attitude doesn't apply to every team/department, but it definitely exists within the company and in more than one team.

Advice to Management

Keep a better eye on the people you hire--you don't want a culture of negativity, it just makes it harder to focus on what we're all trying to accomplish.

"Take other opportunities if you can!"

Pros

There is work life balance.

Cons

There is a widespread lack of trust in leadership. There are execs, managers, and directors who cannot be in the same room with each other. Engineering team manages to break things while trying to fix bugs. There are continuous unfixable issues that everyone begs the engineering team to fix and it drags forever due to the lack of leadership and a mediocre talent. Upper management only interested in their political standing in the organization and don’t care about the employee.

"It sucks"

Pros

Has a nice view of the city and chinatown.

Cons

Everything about it is a con. You name it. Management, HR, incompetent staff, even the ceo is out of ideas.

"Just plain awful"

I worked at Hotwire full-time (More than 5 years)

Pros

This place is almost void of pros at this point, you can thank the new CEO directly.

Cons

Everything has become a con, oh how we miss the good old days from a few years ago. There is no hope of those days returning until the CEO is replaced or Expedia intervenes.

Advice to Management

Replace the CEO with someone that won't violate HR protocol on a regular basis and has some sense of the travel industry. It's truly frightening how much blatant disregard for general morality the current leadership team demonstrates.