Hotwire Reviews | Glassdoor

5.0
Hotwire President Neha Parikh
Neha Parikh

Sort: PopularRatingDate

Pros
  • Great work life balance; Great engineering culture; Flexible roles (in 48 reviews)

• Hotwire is a subsidiary of Expedia and Expedia is a leader in the industry with great benefits (in 16 reviews)

Cons
  • Work-life balance are non-existent depending on the group (in 5 reviews)

• No career growth unless you are great at politics and sucking up (in 8 reviews)

"Fast pace, exciting business--huge opportunity for growth"

Current Employee - Anonymous Employee in San Francisco, CA

I have been working at Hotwire full-time (More than 5 years)

Pros

Hotwire has changed a lot in the past few years, and for those who enjoy having a hand in the evolution of a business, this is a really cool opportunity. As others have noted, this is a unique company because it maintains the scrappiness of a startup but has the backing and long-term focus of a mature organization. I like knowing that I truly make an impact every day and that I'm not just a cog in the machine. Some of the other pros include:
    -Lots of career growth opportunity. Many top leaders are homegrown from within Hotwire or Expedia, including our President
    -Incredibly smart, dedicated people. They challenge me to be my best every day.
    -The opportunity to learn. From different people, from different projects, and from the experience of making Hotwire better.
    -Unique product. While the travel industry is crowded, Hotwire is one of only 2 major companies offering an opaque product. As a result, we consistently have access to the lowest prices on hotels and cars anywhere--our challenge comes in figuring out how to present these deals to customers in a compelling way.
    -Exciting industry. Who doesn't love travel? I like working for a company whose product I can speak proudly about.
    -Culture of open communication and feedback. Nobody would think twice about an entry-level new hire sharing ideas with a VP or the President. Likewise, the leadership team makes every effort to solicit input at all levels of the organization
    -Great benefits and perks, including hefty vacation time, travel benefits, and a brand-new office in SF with good snacks and drinks, with tons of employee events

Cons

To get the full value out of your experience at Hotwire, you need to truly believe in what you're doing and be passionate about it. Employees who are showing up just to 'do a job' will not be satisfied with the lack of rigid structure and direction.

There's been tons of change in the last few years in terms of organizational structure, leadership, and priorities. For a lot of people, this is uncomfortable. For others, it spells opportunity.

While we do behave like a startup in many senses, we are a big established company. There is room for innovation, but we're not trying to re-invent the wheel. We know who we are and who our customer is, and our focus at this point is largely on execution. Employees looking to shoot for the moon with ideas that take us in a totally new direction might be better suited for an actual startup that is in its infancy.

Like every organization, we have challenges. They will not disappear overnight. I think our LT has done a good job of prioritizing what needs to be addressed first, but there's no doubt that certain areas of our business are a work in progress. To thrive, you need to take the long-term approach and realize that what matters most is moving toward an ideal state over time--not fixing every problem all at once.

Advice to Management

Keep focusing on what makes Hotwire special, and work hard to bring in people who share this vision. Our people will be the key to our success.

Dec 1, 2017 – HR Director, Hotwire

So glad to hear about your positive experiences and that you feel you truly make an impact at Hotwire every day. Thank you!

"Hotwire is going places!"

Current Employee - Anonymous Employee in San Francisco, CA

I have been working at Hotwire full-time (Less than a year)

Pros

We are going places! Employees are passionate and excited about the new business direction. Travel is one of the best businesses in the world and I couldn't be happier to be part of this team. I just joined - it's an exciting time to be at Hotwire.

Cons

No cons - very happy I joined.

Advice to Management

Keep up the good work.

Nov 8, 2017 – HR Director, Hotwire

So glad to hear you're enjoying your time at Hotwire!

"Things are changing"

Current Employee - Senior Manager in San Francisco, CA
    Current Employee - Senior Manager in San Francisco, CA

I have been working at Hotwire full-time (More than 3 years)

Pros

Unique company in the exciting travel sector, start-up like with a great location in San Francisco. Some of the recent reviews look like they were written by a few disgruntled people, but that does not represent Hotwire! I have been here 3 years and am starting to see real change in the last few months.

I don’t see politics in my group- everyone is focused on getting the job done. Honestly Hotwire is one of the best places I have ever worked, for me personally. I have learned a lot and my co-workers are great. Leadership is changing for the better from what I have seen.

Cons

There has been a lot of change and lack of focus which has made it hard for the business to do well and for employees to know what to focus on. Most people don’t know the company strategy but that is being worked on.

Advice to Management

Set a clear strategy and don’t change course every 4 months
    Weed out all of the negative people who are toxic to Hotwire!!! Please!!!
    Keep communicating with us

Nov 8, 2017 – HR Director, Hotwire

Thanks for your review and glad to see your largely positive experience. We are fully committed to being transparent and communicating. We welcome feedback.

"Excellent Benefits and Great work-life balance"

I have been working at Hotwire full-time

Pros

"Great culture, excellent benefits, great work-life balance.

Cons

Lack of motivation in the employees.

Advice to Management

Hotwire needs to execute at all levels and value knowledge and experience.

5. "Nice people. Good place to work"

I worked at Hotwire full-time

Pros

Worked with a great team.

Cons

They are struggling business wise and had lay offs.

6. "Great Company"

Pros

Enjoyed the working relationships and projects

Cons

The pros outweighed the cons

7. "Awesome place to work and build your career"

Current Employee - Software Engineer in San Francisco, CA
    Current Employee - Software Engineer in San Francisco, CA

Pros

Tons of benefits including travel deals, the snack bar is never empty, straightforward attitude, work and effort recognition, tech-savvy environment and geeky office culture which is awesome.

Cons

Does not have Lockheed SR-71 Blackbird parked at the basement.

8. "Evolving rapidly"

Pros

Small teams enable 1:1 time with direct managers who coach you to help get where you want to be

Cons

Competitive marketplace, fast paced environment creates a very Darwin like scenario where you either adapt or you don't do well here

Advice to Management

Be aware of the pressures on the team, don't necessarily let the foot off the gas but stay cognizant

"Sky's the limit"

Current Employee - Anonymous Employee in Chicago, IL
    Current Employee - Anonymous Employee in Chicago, IL

I have been working at Hotwire full-time (More than a year)

Pros

-Incredibly smart co-workers
    -Great career growth opportunity
    -Entrepreneurial energy with big-company stability
    -Business is continually evolving; no limit to what the future could hold
    -Amazingly fun industry!

Cons

-Competitive industry
    -Technological challenges at times, but getting better
    -Lots of change in recent years, has taken time to stabilize

Advice to Management

Keep pushing your people and product to be the best. Keep identifying and recognizing talented performers within the organization. Keep being transparent with future vision.

"Awesome gig"

Pros

Fun industry. Great colleagues. Great brand. Superb perks. Lots of learning. Interesting product challenges.

Cons

Competitive industry. Tough competitive set requires attention to detail Overall company is addressing the issues that are facing this segment of the industry.

Advice to Management

Keep raising the bar.