Hotwire Reviews | Glassdoor

Hotwire Reviews

Updated February 11, 2017

Full-time Part-time

Pros
  • Great culture, excellent benefits, great work life balance (in 41 reviews)

• Plus, the travel benefits are awesome (in 11 reviews)

Cons
  • Work-life balance are non-existent depending on the group (in 5 reviews)

• Unless you live in the area, you will be held back with career growth (in 6 reviews)

"Worst job I've ever had"

Pros

There's a keg in the break room. Also, I was so bored that I had plenty of time to catch up on NPR.

Cons

First, on a wider scale: The company says they value innovation, but when new design, copy, or photo ideas are offered, they are immediately shut down. People become very defensive and complain about having to do extra work to make changes, and would rather stick to doing the bare minimum to get by. I was told during my interview that this was a place where change is embraced, but boooyyyy was that a gross exaggeration. I was literally told at one point that it wasn't my job to come up with new ideas--it was my job to deliver what was asked of me.

Business wise, the company is not doing so well. Years of refusing to innovate has really left them in the lurch, and they are constantly having to play catch up with competitors just to stay afloat, forget about being a leader in the industry. Departments do not communicate well with each other, which has created problems with achieving a consistent brand/product. People also seem to be leaving left and right, not to mention there is a hiring freeze despite a very urgent need for more people and resources.

Secondly, on a team scale: I worked with some pretty unprofessional people here (and this is a vast understatement). Sometimes I would be given a project and a teammate would say "thank God it's you and not me, that team/project sucks." Or project assignments would change and if I were assigned to a project they used to have, they would throw a fit. Seriously? Calm down. This team did NOT believe in working together. A lot of times I would offer new ideas to an individual, who would tell me that it's a great idea, and then I would suggest it in a meeting and that same individual would tell me it's horrible and do everything they could do to throw me under the bus. I am always open to constructive criticism, but I would also explain the logic behind my ideas/work so that they could get a better understanding of my suggestion---to which they would reply "well I just don't like it, but I don't have a good reason why." So it quickly became obvious to me that this was a matter of pettiness and nothing more. But apparently I wasn't the only person on the receiving end of this behavior: I constantly heard people talk about others behind their backs. Even on my first day of work. There is soooo much backstabbing and politics and negativity, which definitely is not the kind of environment I enjoy working in. I was also left to my own devices when I first started as my team did not bother to support me or welcome me in any way.

Needless to say, this negative attitude doesn't apply to every team/department, but it definitely exists within the company and in more than one team.

Advice to Management

Keep a better eye on the people you hire--you don't want a culture of negativity, it just makes it harder to focus on what we're all trying to accomplish.

"Great company, great product"

Current Employee - Senior Product Manager in San Francisco, CA
    Current Employee - Senior Product Manager in San Francisco, CA

I have been working at Hotwire full-time (More than a year)

Pros

Great product and brand. It's fun to work in travel. The team is international and very fun. It is easy to balance work and personal life. Great opportunities to grow and try different things.
    Hotwire is part of Expedia Inc so you work for a medium size company with the benefits of a big multi-national.
    Things move fast, culture is to take risks and try new things.
    The leadership team is smart and trustworthy.

Cons

Talents don't stay too long. Some people have been here forever but don't have the passion and energy anymore to get their team excited.
    They have an annual manager feedback but even bad managers stay in place.

Advice to Management

Take manager feedback more seriously

"Great people, awesome company!"

Current Employee - Analyst in San Francisco, CA
    Current Employee - Analyst in San Francisco, CA

I have been working at Hotwire full-time (More than a year)

Pros

I love working here. People are supportive, higher management wants u to grow, and the company pay is above average. So many opportunities to grow.

Cons

Lack of social activities, other than this can't think of anything as of now. Overall, expecting the company to grow despite being in a extremely competitive industry.

Advice to Management

HR should be more involved in arranging social events for employees. This will allow employees to be more involved and aware of other teams.

Company really needs to consider hiring good graphic designers for the website. The site can improve UI/UX to great potential.

Hire young talent, they bring new ideas and food for thought that can help the company reach millennials better

5. "UX Designer"

Pros

Good Team, some travel perks

Cons

Not many cons. Company underwent major changes in the last years. Doing better now.

6. "Great Company"

Pros

Enjoyed the working relationships and projects

Cons

The pros outweighed the cons

7. "Pretty good--until I was laid off"

Former Employee - User Experience Writer in San Francisco, CA
    Former Employee - User Experience Writer in San Francisco, CA

I worked at Hotwire (More than a year)

Pros

Work/Life Balance
    Great location
    Cool people to work with

Cons

Travel perks aren't actually perks
    No free food/other perks
    Company is being absorbed by Expedia

8. "Awesome place to work and build your career"

Current Employee - Software Engineer in San Francisco, CA
    Current Employee - Software Engineer in San Francisco, CA

Pros

Tons of benefits including travel deals, the snack bar is never empty, straightforward attitude, work and effort recognition, tech-savvy environment and geeky office culture which is awesome.

Cons

Does not have Lockheed SR-71 Blackbird parked at the basement.

9. "Evolving rapidly"

Pros

Small teams enable 1:1 time with direct managers who coach you to help get where you want to be

Cons

Competitive marketplace, fast paced environment creates a very Darwin like scenario where you either adapt or you don't do well here

Advice to Management

Be aware of the pressures on the team, don't necessarily let the foot off the gas but stay cognizant

"Take other opportunities if you can!"

Pros

There is work life balance.

Cons

There is a widespread lack of trust in leadership. There are execs, managers, and directors who cannot be in the same room with each other. Engineering team manages to break things while trying to fix bugs. There are continuous unfixable issues that everyone begs the engineering team to fix and it drags forever due to the lack of leadership and a mediocre talent. Upper management only interested in their political standing in the organization and don’t care about the employee.

"san francisco"

Current Employee - Anonymous Employee in San Francisco, CA
    Current Employee - Anonymous Employee in San Francisco, CA

I have been working at Hotwire full-time (More than a year)

Pros

The biggest plus is that the company is located in San Francisco. Other pros are good travel benefits, the relatively small teams, and a can do culture, at least below the executive level.

Cons

Way to much churn at the leadership level. It creates an environment of uncertainty and it is also a big drag on morale, particularly as it has a deep ripple effect in the rest of the organizations. It is not uncommon to see a entire team cycle out of the company in the span of a year.

Advice to Management

Need to remember that there will always be a market for an opaque hotel offering. Also need to keep in mind that it is intrisicaly a countercyclical business, but makes a good counterbalance to the other retail brands that are strongly pro-cyclical.