Hotwire Reviews | Glassdoor

Hotwire Reviews

Updated February 11, 2017

Sort: PopularRatingDate

Pros
  • Great culture, excellent benefits, great work life balance (in 40 reviews)

• Great benefits - good location - flexible schedule (in 13 reviews)

Cons
  • Work-life balance are non-existent depending on the group (in 5 reviews)

• Hotwire is a relatively small company, so there can be me lateral opportunities available than promotions (in 5 reviews)

"I like coming to work"

Pros

Great work life balance, benefits, culture and immediate managers are awesome.

Cons

Disorganized -- groups often work independently of one other instead of together so it is really hard to get anywhere with new ideas

"Fun place to work"

Pros

Great people. Smart, friendly and down-to-earth. Hierarchy is almost invisible. We all have open cubes, yes, including the president. Everyone knows everyone by first name. It has a great mix of start-up and well-established company culture. Great work-life balance.

Cons

cant think of any cons.

3. "Found a HOME!"

Current Employee - Senior Analyst in San Francisco, CA
    Current Employee - Senior Analyst in San Francisco, CA

I have been working at Hotwire full-time (More than 3 years)

Pros

Great place to work. I have been at Hotwire for 4+ years now. I left for about 2 months when I realized that I had made a major mistake.
    Coming HOME to Hotwire was great. The PEOPLE make this place the BEST place to work. Having Expedia back you up is awesome! Culture is tight and people work together and you can build skills and learn as much as you want. There is no limit to the possibilities. Creating lasting relationships both personal and professional.

Cons

No enough candy bars! Just kidding.

Advice to Management

Keep your focus and get the job done!

4. "I'm glad I came here"

Current Employee - Anonymous Employee in San Francisco, CA
    Current Employee - Anonymous Employee in San Francisco, CA

I have been working at Hotwire full-time (Less than a year)

Pros

Before I joined, I was concerned that Hotwire was a slow, rigid and close-minded company from last century. Turns out that my original worries were not true-

It's at the critical turning point for Hotwire now and there is a lot of new opportunities within the company if you really want to have an impact and make a change. The company is willing to take the leap of faith and they urgently need the people who are driven and capable.

Hiring starts to pick up and many smart people joined the company lately which brings lots of fresh blood. The culture is very energetic and friendly

People know their business very well here and they are willing to offer help and all kinds of expertise

Cons

The management team should focus more on career development for young people, that's how you get to keep them in super competitive bay area market and cultivate the loyal force which lasts for years!

Advice to Management

Same as above. More career development and mentor program for young people will be great.

5. "Great people, challenging work, and much to learn"

Current Employee - Anonymous Employee in Bellevue, WA
    Current Employee - Anonymous Employee in Bellevue, WA

I have been working at Hotwire full-time (More than a year)

Pros

Hotwire is a small company with the backing of a large one - and it has the best of both worlds. I have the ability to make a real impact on our products, due to the small nature of the company. At the same time, I have the full resources of a large company at my disposal. Good training programs, a commitment to women in the workplace, and knowledge that, when I'm ready to take the next step in my career, my contributions at Hotwire open the door to global opportunities with Expedia. Plus, the travel benefits are awesome. I've been to 8 different countries alone this year, and am already looking forward to next year's trips to new, unexplored places.

Cons

Hotwire is starting its next chapter, and there is a lot of work - and change in how we do things - in order to reach our goals.

Advice to Management

Over communicate where we are going and how we will get there.

6. "Awesome workplace!"

Current Contractor - Anonymous Contractor in San Francisco, CA
    Current Contractor - Anonymous Contractor in San Francisco, CA

I have been working at Hotwire as a contractor (More than 3 years)

Pros

Great product to work on - travel!
    Small enough of a company (about 300 employees) - your voice IS heard.
    Start-up'ish environment & culture
    Lost of camaraderie, family-like feeling, very caring folks overall.

Cons

none....well, maybe more coconut water in the fridge! :)

7. "Good Company to work with"

Current Employee - Engineer in San Francisco, CA
    Current Employee - Engineer in San Francisco, CA

I have been working at Hotwire full-time (Less than a year)

Pros

Great co-workers
    Supportive Environment
    Room for creativity
    Great benefits
    Work Life Balance

Overall Happy to be a part of Hotwire.

Cons

Not much negative to say but Growth is one thing where we should work on.

Advice to Management

Please keep up the culture and values!, plus keep up the innovation engine.

"Fantastic company & extraordinary workforce"

Current Employee - Risk Management in San Francisco, CA
    Current Employee - Risk Management in San Francisco, CA

I have been working at Hotwire full-time (Less than a year)

Pros

This is hands down the best job I have ever had and the best company I have ever worked for in my career! Some of the perks may be typical for San Francisco but Hotwire has a unique advantage since it is a fairly small company with a big corporate backing (Expedia Inc). This provides a more intimate working environment where you are able to wear many different hats and get to know most of your coworkers while maintaining job security. The added bonus is that you receive excellent benefits, especially if you love to travel!

There is always something fun happening in the office, whether it's a group gathering to watch the Word Cup, a serious game of ping pong or a full blown Cinco de Mayo party. There are also several annual events such as the bowling tournament and summer picnic. These are all great opportunities to get to know your coworkers on a more personal level while having a blast!

The best part of Hotwire is the individuals that make up each of the teams. It's a very inviting atmosphere which fosters creativity and is not overly competitive. There is a willingness to share knowledge for the common good of the company and senior management is very approachable. The workforce is also very diverse with employees and executives from all over the world with a great deal of longevity which offers various perspectives.

Cons

Travel is a very competitive industry and you must be willing to work hard as well as be open to an ever changing environment. Hotwire is currently making significant investments in its infrastructure, which can be challenging at times to different teams. Overall the pros outweigh the cons!

Advice to Management

Continue to be clear about the company's direction and our plan to stay competitive.

"It is a Dream Job!"

Current Employee - Facilities in San Francisco, CA
    Current Employee - Facilities in San Francisco, CA

I have been working at Hotwire full-time (More than 3 years)

Pros

The peoples are great to work with! And the events that they have are fun and entertaining! The work environment is great and positive. The location is perfect. Henrik Kjellberg is a great CEO to work for and he has an open door policy! I love that everybody sit in a cube. Even the CEO!

Cons

For me there is no cons!

Advice to Management

Keep up the good Job!

"I loved the company especially the training."

Former Employee - Customer Service Representative in Portland, OR
    Former Employee - Customer Service Representative in Portland, OR

I worked at Hotwire full-time (Less than a year)

Pros

The call center environment was what I enjoyed

Cons

I worked very hard to complete tasks

Advice to Management

Nothing to add for mgmt.