Hotwire Reviews | Glassdoor

Hotwire Reviews

Updated November 18, 2017

Full-timePart-time

Sort: PopularRatingDate

Pros
  • Great work life balance; Great engineering culture; Flexible roles (in 44 reviews)

• Hotwire is a subsidiary of Expedia and Expedia is a leader in the industry with great benefits (in 13 reviews)

Cons
  • Work-life balance are non-existent depending on the group (in 5 reviews)

• No career growth unless you are great at politics and sucking up (in 8 reviews)

"Take other opportunities if you can!"

Pros

There is work life balance.

Cons

There is a widespread lack of trust in leadership. There are execs, managers, and directors who cannot be in the same room with each other. Engineering team manages to break things while trying to fix bugs. There are continuous unfixable issues that everyone begs the engineering team to fix and it drags forever due to the lack of leadership and a mediocre talent. Upper management only interested in their political standing in the organization and don’t care about the employee.

"Worst job I've ever had"

Pros

There's a keg in the break room. Also, I was so bored that I had plenty of time to catch up on NPR.

Cons

First, on a wider scale: The company says they value innovation, but when new design, copy, or photo ideas are offered, they are immediately shut down. People become very defensive and complain about having to do extra work to make changes, and would rather stick to doing the bare minimum to get by. I was told during my interview that this was a place where change is embraced, but boooyyyy was that a gross exaggeration. I was literally told at one point that it wasn't my job to come up with new ideas--it was my job to deliver what was asked of me.

Business wise, the company is not doing so well. Years of refusing to innovate has really left them in the lurch, and they are constantly having to play catch up with competitors just to stay afloat, forget about being a leader in the industry. Departments do not communicate well with each other, which has created problems with achieving a consistent brand/product. People also seem to be leaving left and right, not to mention there is a hiring freeze despite a very urgent need for more people and resources.

Secondly, on a team scale: I worked with some pretty unprofessional people here (and this is a vast understatement). Sometimes I would be given a project and a teammate would say "thank God it's you and not me, that team/project sucks." Or project assignments would change and if I were assigned to a project they used to have, they would throw a fit. Seriously? Calm down. This team did NOT believe in working together. A lot of times I would offer new ideas to an individual, who would tell me that it's a great idea, and then I would suggest it in a meeting and that same individual would tell me it's horrible and do everything they could do to throw me under the bus. I am always open to constructive criticism, but I would also explain the logic behind my ideas/work so that they could get a better understanding of my suggestion---to which they would reply "well I just don't like it, but I don't have a good reason why." So it quickly became obvious to me that this was a matter of pettiness and nothing more. But apparently I wasn't the only person on the receiving end of this behavior: I constantly heard people talk about others behind their backs. Even on my first day of work. There is soooo much backstabbing and politics and negativity, which definitely is not the kind of environment I enjoy working in. I was also left to my own devices when I first started as my team did not bother to support me or welcome me in any way.

Needless to say, this negative attitude doesn't apply to every team/department, but it definitely exists within the company and in more than one team.

Advice to Management

Keep a better eye on the people you hire--you don't want a culture of negativity, it just makes it harder to focus on what we're all trying to accomplish.

"Was good, then bad and getting worse"

Former Employee - Anonymous Employee in San Francisco, CA
    Former Employee - Anonymous Employee in San Francisco, CA

I worked at Hotwire full-time (More than a year)

Pros

The travel benefits, the opportunity of learning new technology because there was so much free time.

Cons

Hiring decision was unclear, some didn't even meet the basic criteria but still got the jobs and even survived the recent lay-off.

Advice to Management

Just keep doing re-org every 3 months and nothing will get done.

"N/A"

Current Employee - Anonymous Employee in San Francisco, CA

I have been working at Hotwire (More than a year)

Pros

The location is about all that's positive.

Cons

Poor work life balance.

"Culture, leadership, and company needs a rehaul"

I worked at Hotwire full-time

Pros

-Benefits are the same at Expedia

Cons

- Leadership has no idea what they are doing with people getting promoted and leading teams without any experience
    - No marketing chops across the org, with basic marketing 101 not in place
    - VP of Product really leads the org, Henrik's just a figure head
    - Don't expect culture, communication, and transparency to be like Expedia, it's not. Total joke
    - Poor leadership across the entire organization
    - Super political environment with people backstabbing each other, going around you to management to undermine you, and overall creating a very difficult environment to succeed. Plan to work 60-70 hours just to get work done because you're so busy managing internal politics.

Advice to Management

Hire leadership who actually know what they're doing

"no prospects"

Former Employee - Software Engineer in San Francisco, CA
    Former Employee - Software Engineer in San Francisco, CA

I worked at Hotwire full-time (More than 5 years)

Pros

Good business model which scaled for a long time

Cons

It used to be great company, people, culture. Over the last couple of years, things are starting to wear off and environment is becoming chaotic with layoffs and people leaving.

"Stay away! Company is in horrible state"

Current Employee - Anonymous Employee in San Francisco, CA

I have been working at Hotwire full-time (More than 3 years)

Pros

Expedia perks and its brand name
    Location
    Remote work flexibility

Cons

- Politics, you can't get any work done if you don't play politics or become a kiss-ass to certain individuals within the organization

- Management

- Lack of motivation

- People leaving at lightning speed

- Low pay

- No growth opportunities

- Constant changes and unstable working conditions

Advice to Management

Please listen to individual teams within the organization, rather focusing on few teams. For once stick to a decision and take definitive action. Few individuals in upper management are toxic and counter intuitive to growth, please do something about them otherwise the productivity will keep going down

"Attrition and politics brought the company to shambles"

Current Employee - Anonymous Employee in San Francisco, CA

I have been working at Hotwire full-time (More than 3 years)

Pros

- Expedia brand name

- Travel perks, but nothing special unlike other big companies

Cons

I don't know where to start. Everything is wrong with the company right now.

- Highly negative and toxic environment
    - People with less credentials were promoted to leadership positions and handed off big portion of business. They are failing miserably and covering up to survive or blaming others within the org.
    - People don't want to work proactively
    - Management keeps making promises, but nothing is changing
    - Clean slate to people who do not perform or constantly break things
    - Engineers have no existence in the company, even though management claims to be a technology company
    - Product leadership thinks they are driving the company, remaining teams like marketing and engineering are treated as their puppets
    - If you are active and want to progress, this isn't the right place to work. Look somewhere else. Your career will take a hit in negative direction and you won't learn anything

Advice to Management

Change company culture and hold low-performing individuals in senior leadership accountable or show them the door to exist for good

"Instablity, Politics and horrible culture. STAY AWAY!"

I worked at Hotwire full-time

Pros

Part of the Expedia brand & Good travel perks.
    Work life balance is great since there is not much work happening anyway.

Cons

1. Leadership team is a joke.

2. Restructuring and layoffs every 3 months. Absolute instability with no respect for the individual contributors.

3. No career growth unless you are great at politics and sucking up.

4. Managers have been promoted to Director level because they have been working at the company for very long time. They lack expertise and standards to drive any positive impact to the people and business.

5. Pay is horrible and don't expect any promotions.

Advice to Management

- Get rid of the management team members who are busy playing politics and ruining the company culture.
    - Read Glassdoor reviews to get a reality check.

"Friendly advice - Stay away from joining Hotwire !!"

I worked at Hotwire full-time (More than 5 years)

Pros

1. Being part of Expedia family, you can say you work at Expedia as Hotwire brand is not well known.

2. Office location is good.

Cons

1. For career growth and promotion, you need to be in good book of directors/managers.

2. Every year or two layoffs happens as business is going down.

3. People play blame game if something goes wrong.

4. Lake of motivation and all smart people are leaving or already left.

5. No value of engineers even though it's so called tech company.

6. No RSU and No competitive market salary.

Advice to Management

Advice to new CEO - Fire director/managerial level folks(except 1-2 folks) from product and engineering and hire fresh minds. They filter information and pass it to you. Individual contributor at low level are the one who are hard working, keep them and listen to them.