Houghton Mifflin Harcourt Reviews

Updated Jun 26, 2020

3.6
Houghton Mifflin Harcourt President, Chief Executive Officer and Director John “Jack” J. Lynch, Jr.
John “Jack” J. Lynch, Jr.
Pros
Cons
  • "Upper management seems to need stronger direction, not to mention people skills(in 55 reviews)

• "Unclear vision for where the company is going means regular pivots and turnover of senior management(in 39 reviews)

1. Featured Review

"It's a great place to work!!!"

Current Employee - Lead Information Security Analyst in Boston, MA

I have been working at Houghton Mifflin Harcourt full-time for less than a year

Pros

Senior Management is great as they value your opinions and contributions. Awesome co-workers, who are outgoing and committed to seeing the company succeed. I enjoy the "Bright Spots" videos that are hosted by our CEO. They are very informative and they give an insight on what is going on within the company.

Cons

It would be nice to be able to work from home, more than one day a week.

2. "Great company to work for"

Current Employee - Enterprise Architect in Boston, MA

I have been working at Houghton Mifflin Harcourt full-time for more than 3 years

Pros

Coworkers are fantastic and smart. There are plenty of opportunities around. IT management is very supportive There is a transformation at all levels in the company

Cons

Like many companies we have old processes and ways of doing things, sometimes is difficult to disrupt this. But I see this also as an opportunity to come with new ideas. Sometimes resources are limited but still you have a lot of support from the management to look for alternatives or to find the budget for it, it can be a new software or training.

Continue reading
  3. "Great Company to Work For"

Current Employee - Technical Support Specialist in Orlando, FL

I have been working at Houghton Mifflin Harcourt full-time

Pros

People and family oriented, flexible scheduling, good pay, good incentive program, top notch medical insurance available, managers and supervisors are primarily hired from within the company, and lenient dress code.

Cons

Company has restructured a few times and some departments are forced to work overtime and on weekends (only a few months out of the year).

Continue reading
  4. "Not a Bad Place to work but..."

Current Employee - Product Manager in New York, NY

I have been working at Houghton Mifflin Harcourt full-time

Pros

Working on good mission driven content.

Cons

Strategic vision and tactical development don't see eye to eye a lot of the time, making work hard.

5. "Goal-oriented team leaders who care about work/life balance."

Former Employee - Content Specialist in Geneva, IL

I worked at Houghton Mifflin Harcourt full-time for more than 3 years

Pros

-Decent bonus structure -Flexible work hours -Occasional work-from-home opportunities -Caring community who does a lot of great things for the communities they serve -Helpful, through HR Department

Cons

-Can be strict with working from home -Not the best employee-issued equipment; some of it is very old -Some offices are in need of updating, especially Geneva, IL -Compensation disparities -Lack of career path in several roles

June 18, 2020Manager, Talent Acquisition

Thanks so much for your pretty great review and your 3+ years of service to HMH. We appreciate your positive feedback as well as your honesty on areas where you see room for improvement. We are working hard to make HMH a best in class workplace and we wish you every future success!

"Feet on the Ground Move the Needle"

Current Employee - Director

I have been working at Houghton Mifflin Harcourt full-time for more than 10 years

Pros

HMH individual internal teams are the strength of the organization.

Cons

Not always walking the walk to match the talk

7. "Average"

Current Employee - Sales Coordinator in Boston, MA

I have been working at Houghton Mifflin Harcourt full-time

Pros

Good people to work with

Cons

The job is very stressful

"Complex and inefficient"

2.0
    Current Employee - Account Executive

I have been working at Houghton Mifflin Harcourt full-time for more than 5 years

Pros

Good people locally with heart for improving student outcomes.

Cons

Bloated management structure wrought with inefficiencies and elitist mentality about how to best help students.

June 13, 2020Manager, Talent Acquisition

Thank you for taking the time to review your experience at HMH. We appreciate your five years of service and your commitment to supporting teachers and students through your work. Here at HMH, teachers and students are at the center of what we do, and we value all input on how we can improve that experience. We have a clear strategic plan in place and value the teams that help with that success.

9. "People make the difference"

Current Employee - IT Director in Boston, MA

Pros

I have worked at HMH now for 16 years within the technology group. Over this time, I've been asked what has kept me here for so long? I’ve always responded with "it’s the people". It's the people I support within the business units and the teams I collaborate with that make work exciting every day. It’s the sense of camaraderie and common purpose that keeps me motivated. HMH has afforded me many opportunities over the years and has allowed me to change and adapt over time. It has been a great place to work at.

Cons

In technology Sr. Leadership has changed hands a couple of times over the last 4 years, however, this last change has stuck and is poised for the long haul.

10. COVID-19

"Alien over Citizens?"

2.0
    Current Employee - IT Manager

Pros

Lots of dedicated people trying to help teachers, kids, schools especially during the pandemic.

Cons

Recently due to COVID-19, Houghton Mifflin Harcourt enforced a company wide policy to limit everyone to work for 4 days a week and get paid 4 days salary (i.e. takes a 20% pay cut). However, we have found that the H1-B visa holders in the company are secretly allowed to work for 5 days and get paid for 5 days so that their immigration status is maintained. This compromised the integrity of H1-B visa program and sacrificed American citizen's jobs. Many of the American co-workers are struggling financially and we want to work for 5 days and we could use the 20% pay to help our kids and families during this difficult time! This is very upsetting that American citizens are treated differently and perhaps when the layoff comes, the citizens will be cut first. This is wrong.

May 8, 2020Manager, Talent Acquisition

Thank you for your service to HMH, especially during this difficult time for all of us, and thank you for taking the time to express your concerns. To help clarify, H1B and other work visas are government programs, governed by many rules and regulations, including around work hours and pay rates, that all employers who have employees working on visas must follow, including HMH. HMH took appropriate steps to ensure compliance with the applicable visa regulations, as it did all wage and hour regulations, with respect to our recent COVID-19 related reductions in work hours and/or pay. Our compliance with these visa regulations is not a secret. We value all of our employees, and we are grateful to all of you for helping HMH continue to support teachers and students during this uncertain time.

Found 870 reviews