KEY NOT FOUND: coverImgAlt

Houghton Mifflin Harcourt Reviews

Updated May 17, 2022

Found 1,172 of over 1,289 reviews

3.4
Houghton Mifflin Harcourt President, Chief Executive Officer and Director John “Jack” J. Lynch, Jr.
John “Jack” J. Lynch, Jr.

The latest conversations about Teachers

Join the conversation on

Teachers

1y

a

West Virginia Elementary School Teacher

Who is taking the COVID-19 Shot? Do you think all teachers should?

2,892

960 Comments

Join the conversation on

Top Review Highlights by Sentiment

Pros
Cons
Pros & Cons are excerpts from user reviews. They are not authored by Glassdoor.

Ratings by Demographics

This rating reflects the overall rating of Houghton Mifflin Harcourt and is not affected by filters.

Want more demographic options?
  1. 5.0
    Current Employee, more than 1 year
    Featured Review

Great Company

Oct 11, 2021 - Senior IP Analyst in Evanston, IL
    Business Outlook

Pros

There are several reasons to work for HMH; here are a few; HMH allows employees to work from home or in the office. The work that HMH is doing to help each student feel seen while using HMH textbooks. HMH is working very hard to be inclusive, not only for the student's benefits but also for their employees.

Cons

Most of your team may be in a different state; not seeing a physical person may be a downside for some people, especially super social people.

2. 5.0
    Current Employee, more than 1 year

A great place to work

Jun 15, 2021 - Managing Editor in Boston, MA
    Business Outlook

Pros

I had a very good experience working at HMH.

Cons

I did not experience any downsides during my employment.

3. 5.0
    Current Employee, more than 3 years

Great Environment for Learning

May 17, 2022 - Prepress Technician in Orlando, FL
    Business Outlook

Pros

Nice place to work, helpful colleagues, great environment

Cons

Limited room for personal growth

4. 4.0
    Current Employee, more than 3 years

Solid employer

May 5, 2022 - Manager
    Business Outlook

Pros

Great work life balance, competitive salary and benefits

Cons

Talent development is lacking overall.

5. 4.0
    Current Employee, more than 5 years

Overall would recommend

Apr 7, 2022 - Inside Sales Account Executive in Geneva, IL
    Business Outlook

Pros

Remote work is great, teammates are great, love what I do

Cons

Not a lot of opportunity to move up, raises are scarce, easy to feel not valued by company. They are definitely all about the money.

6. 2.0
    Current Employee, more than 8 years

Hopeful we were headed in the right direction, but we're not . . .

Apr 8, 2022 - Instructional Coach
    Business Outlook

Pros

Unlimited Vacation - although, it's a double-edged sword because, as we were told, "nothing is guaranteed" and they put a huge hold on dates for the entire summer season even though we all just worked an entire school year. Flexibility with your calendar/schedule - although, again, that seems to be changing as we do not seem to "own" our calendars anymore Remote and in-person opportunities - but they are leaning away from in-person

Cons

They spread everyone thin. Between laying off a significant number of people, not rehiring to fill vacated positions, and asking content and program experts to become "jacks of all trades" instead of content or program experts (which is what we preach and were hired to do), it's been exhausting to work here for the past couple years. Pay is below average, they took away our bonuses, and merit pay is not based on merit, as people experience lower salary increases at higher performance reviews. There is a poor work-life balance in our division (we work well beyond 7.5 hour work days, are told to do professional development on our own time, managers and directors reach out while you're on vacation) Input from entry-level and even mid-level managers does not seem to matter to senior leadership. We change our direction/focus frequently which leads to lots of frustration and feeling far behind and unable to catch up for those of us constantly in the field.

2 people found this review helpful
  7. 4.0
    Former Employee, more than 5 years

Great company to work for

Apr 16, 2022 - Sales Enablement Specialist
    Business Outlook

Pros

Solid history and plan for growth. I had fantastic managers.

Cons

None to share at this time.

8. 4.0
    Current Employee, more than 10 years

Depends on the department

Apr 11, 2022 - Anonymous Employee
    Business Outlook

Pros

Great corporate values, committed to diversity and inclusion

Cons

(Non-executive) leadership can demonstrate toxic positivity and top-down decision-making

9. 3.0
    Current Employee, more than 10 years

Too much instability

Mar 12, 2022 - Director in Boston, MA
    Business Outlook

Pros

Amazing coworkers. Good pay. Flexible work conditions

Cons

Too much change, oftentimes without systems and procedures in place ready to handle. Employees live in constant fear of layoffs which strike often and without any relationship to job performance or contribution to bottom line

3 people found this review helpful
  10. 2.0
    Former Employee, more than 3 years

Ok

May 3, 2022 - Human Resources in Boston, MA
    Business Outlook

Pros

The people I worked with and the work I was able to do.

Cons

Never stable financially, not progressive

1 person found this review helpful
Viewing 1 - 10 of 1,172 Reviews

Houghton Mifflin Harcourt Reviews FAQs

Houghton Mifflin Harcourt has an overall rating of 3.4 out of 5, based on over 1,289 reviews left anonymously by employees. 57% of employees would recommend working at Houghton Mifflin Harcourt to a friend and 44% have a positive outlook for the business. This rating has been stable over the past 12 months.

According to anonymously submitted Glassdoor reviews, Houghton Mifflin Harcourt employees rate their compensation and benefits as 3.2 out of 5. Find out more about salaries and benefits at Houghton Mifflin Harcourt. This rating has been stable over the past 12 months.

57% of Houghton Mifflin Harcourt employees would recommend working there to a friend based on Glassdoor reviews. Employees also rated Houghton Mifflin Harcourt 3.7 out of 5 for work life balance, 3.6 for culture and values and 3.0 for career opportunities.

According to reviews on Glassdoor, employees commonly mention the pros of working at Houghton Mifflin Harcourt to be work life balance, benefits, coworkers and the cons to be senior leadership, career development, management.

Popular Careers with Houghton Mifflin Harcourt Job Seekers