Houghton Mifflin Harcourt Reviews in Rolling Meadows, IL | Glassdoor

Houghton Mifflin Harcourt Rolling Meadows Reviews

Rolling Meadows, IL

1.7
Houghton Mifflin Harcourt President, Chief Executive Officer and Director John “Jack” J. Lynch, Jr.
John “Jack” J. Lynch, Jr.

Sort: PopularRatingDate

Pros
  • Benefits and work life balance are excellent (in 41 reviews)

• work from home on non-travel days (for my role as a Content Specialist) (in 37 reviews)

Cons
  • Lots of upper management has been there 10 to 20 (in 39 reviews)

• Past lack of focus and direction of Senior management left the company a bloated shell with a weak skeleton of infrastructure (in 37 reviews)

"Should treat everyone equal and offer better compensation for hard work."

Current Employee - Anonymous Employee in Rolling Meadows, IL
    Current Employee - Anonymous Employee in Rolling Meadows, IL

I have been working at Houghton Mifflin Harcourt full-time (More than a year)

Pros

Some work from home opportunities.

Cons

Pay is not competitive with the other companies in the industry.

Advice to Management

Higher pay and clearer promotion plan.

"The 2.5 day nightmare"

Former Contractor - Anonymous Contractor in Rolling Meadows, IL
    Former Contractor - Anonymous Contractor in Rolling Meadows, IL

I worked at Houghton Mifflin Harcourt as a contractor (Less than a year)

Pros

Convenient location, easy parking, and a generally comfortable work environment. A nice restaurant on site for breakfast/lunch for this company and others.

Cons

HMH wanted me as a contractor. "To take them to the next level" so said my recruitment company when they learned I was approved. I interviewed 3 times, a background check was run, and my excellent professional references were confirmed. Samples of my work were presented. I have a 20-year background in my field and I've worked in three different regulatory environments. I'm a published author of two books and numerous articles.

The first day was 5 hours only per my on site "supervisor" who determined my hours were 10-4 that day. I was quickly shown the basics as one would expect on the first day ("and where's the restroom again?"). My supervisor took me lunch and paid. Second day, still learning the new system and the manner in which projects are accomplished. Third day, supervisor working from home (twice a week, btw). Recruiting company calls me at lunch and tells me "I'm just not a good fit for the group." This coming from my "supervisor". What had I done (or what hadn't I done)? No details, just copious apologies from my company. A true precedent in my career. 2 1/2 days built on the whimsy of an unprofessional "supervisor" who blithely dismisses a thoroughly competent worker who truly would have taken the small group to the next level. In the final analysis, it was HMH that lost.

Advice to Management

Rid yourself of the instability of some that keeps good people away from your business.

3. "Helpful in the areas of learning content development in the educational industry."

Current Employee - Content Development Specialist in Rolling Meadows, IL
    Current Employee - Content Development Specialist in Rolling Meadows, IL

I have been working at Houghton Mifflin Harcourt full-time (Less than a year)

Pros

Flexible work schedule, friendly employees, resources and supplies available

Cons

Location is very far from my home

Houghton Mifflin Harcourt Response

Jul 15, 2014 – Social Media Manager

This is great feedback and we appreciate that you have taken the time to share this. We do hope that you have been extended some of the great opportunities in which HMH helps to maintain a healthy... More

"What once was, is now lost"

Current Employee - Sales Operations Manager in Rolling Meadows, IL
    Current Employee - Sales Operations Manager in Rolling Meadows, IL

I have been working at Houghton Mifflin Harcourt full-time (More than 10 years)

Pros

The friendly helpful people in the company that work as a company. The original Riverside mentality.

Cons

New management changed things and made it where we have separate departments for things we used to do in one and the communication is lost and no one has a clear handle of the new process therefore causing more problems and unnecessary stress. The pay is based on who you know and not what you know. I bring a lot of talent and expertise however am not paid fairly and have complained I get the usual BS and you get the same lie that "you make more than the average joe". Then I decided to present some findings that were left at the copy machine and found that my male Caucasian co worker with the same title and who took my old job makes 162% more than I make and my predecessor makes 183% more - why is that right. Because I am a female.

5. "Very rewarding"

Current Employee - Manager in Rolling Meadows, IL
    Current Employee - Manager in Rolling Meadows, IL

I have been working at Houghton Mifflin Harcourt full-time (More than 10 years)

Pros

This company is built on the principles of making life better for its employees and customers.

Cons

Impementing new business and rolling out new products.

"20 years behind, but faking it for now!"

Current Employee - Sales Representative in Rolling Meadows, IL
    Current Employee - Sales Representative in Rolling Meadows, IL

I have been working at Houghton Mifflin Harcourt full-time (More than 3 years)

Pros

Easy to hide and stay under the radar; once accepted you can spend decades doing very little.

Cons

It's a bunch of ex-principals, ex-psychologists, ex-teachers and ex-counselors pretending to be forward thinking technology innovators....filing for bankruptcy seems just about right!

Advice to Management

Pretend you care a bit more; everyone is in a mode or protecting their current position and willing to do very little positive.