House of Fraser Reviews in United Kingdom | Glassdoor

3.1
Nigel Oddy

Sort: PopularRatingDate

Pros
Cons
  • For staff discount you have to apply for credit card and only get it by using one (in 32 reviews)

• Can't take a water bottle on the shop floor even with tonsilitis (in 19 reviews)

1. "Varied and fun"

Former Employee - Supervisor in Gateshead, England (UK)
    Former Employee - Supervisor in Gateshead, England (UK)

I worked at House of Fraser full-time (More than a year)

Pros

Great staff, good brand, staff discount, nice atmosphere, good name for a CV, large open plan store, pay average for sector

Cons

Not really a career more a stepping stone while studying or looking for something else, unless a manager you can't really be an adult on these types of salaries

Advice to Management

Drop the Fraser cards

2. "Would Not Recommend"

Current Employee - Sales Advisor - Full Time in High Wycombe, England (UK)
    Current Employee - Sales Advisor - Full Time in High Wycombe, England (UK)

I have been working at House of Fraser full-time (More than 3 years)

Pros

The only pros about working at House of Fraser as of now are that they are changing the staff discount scheme so that you are not forced to open a store credit card to receive the 20% off *selected brands*

Cons

The managers are money hungry hypocrites. They will embarrass you in front of customers and tell you that you are not important to the team, I've work on more than one floor and it happens everywhere I go, to all employees. They will take from you what they can and punish at any given opportunity, yet you won't get a thank you for hard work and dedication.

Advice to Management

Lead by example, the attitude of managers is absolutely appalling and I seriously do not understand how the company is still operational.

3. "Foundation Coordinator"

Former Employee - Anonymous Employee in London, England (UK)
    Former Employee - Anonymous Employee in London, England (UK)

I worked at House of Fraser full-time (Less than a year)

Pros

Great people to work with, dress down atmosphere, good learning opportunities

Cons

Retail doesn't pay a lot

Advice to Management

Approachable management

"2 years in hell"

Former Employee - Sales Assistant in Royal Leamington Spa, England (UK)
    Former Employee - Sales Assistant in Royal Leamington Spa, England (UK)

I worked at House of Fraser part-time (More than a year)

Pros

AMAZING staff members, loved every single member of my team (Menswear)
    Chance to progress
    Feel of accomplishment
    Highly praised upon task completion

Cons

Some stores STILL have the crappy old tills, like ours did, constantly freezing all the time causing customer complaints etc

If your house of Fraser is in an old store, chance is the escalator or lift will break constantly causing customer complaints. And instead of fixing, they just put a sign up hoping it will fix itself.

Lack of communication

Only managers have phones so that they can call each other, possibly invest in radios for all members of staff?

Some of the songs that the store plays are ancient and can get VERY annoying

We have to cash up the tills every night and you are randomly picked if and when you are the one to cash up. Almost feels like Russian roulette.

Managers are VERY demanding of us registering points cards, giving out gift cards and ordering for customers off the website, they need to realise that if a customer wanted any of them, they would probably say.

Again, store managers push for order in stores but it’s literally just a website on a crappy monitor somewhere on the shop floor which is the exact same as what customers can use at home. They don’t even have a card reader for it so customers are very anxious to put their card details into the website.

Our store had NO air con, meaning summer felt like you were burning in hell, literally. Their excuse was that there was asbestos in the roofs and would cost £300,000 to fix it.

Staff discount is an absolute joke, if you want any discount, don’t bother. You have to take out a store credit card so you can get discount, and the discount is only 10%.

Brand event is open until 8 at night and by 6:15, the store is completely dead, the store manager sees this, and yet continues to keep the store open every brand event, until 8 with 0 customers.

Advice to Management

Fix all of the above.

5. "Sales Assisstant"

Current Employee - Sales Representative in London, England (UK)
    Current Employee - Sales Representative in London, England (UK)

I have been working at House of Fraser part-time (More than a year)

Pros

Flexible hours, good job for students as can work shifts around studies, over time available when needed. Staff are great to work with.

Cons

Can be repetitive/ boring during quiet periods.

Advice to Management

Continue to engage staff via incentives etc.

6. "High staff turnover for a reason"

Former Employee - Sales Associate in London, England (UK)
    Former Employee - Sales Associate in London, England (UK)

I worked at House of Fraser full-time (More than a year)

Pros

Always busy
    A lot of responsibility allows you to learn a lot

Cons

Expect you to do way too much for what you are paid - sales assistant salary but you are held personally accountable for the sales your given brand produces and are expected to do all you can to improve these (even down to VM)

Managers aren't always particularly nice to those below, and it trickles down

Overworked - encouraged to do overtime without pay, come in on days off, not take holiday leave (was never paid for missed holidays or TOIL)

7. "sales assisstant"

Former Employee - Underwriting Assistant in London, England (UK)
    Former Employee - Underwriting Assistant in London, England (UK)

I worked at House of Fraser part-time (Less than a year)

Pros

nice people to work with, good first job, get staff discount!

Cons

Hours are very unsociable, weekend work and evenings.

Advice to Management

Listen to staff

"A rather shocking experience"

Former Employee - Sales Advisor in London, England (UK)
    Former Employee - Sales Advisor in London, England (UK)

I worked at House of Fraser (More than a year)

Pros

- The actual staff sales advisors and concession workers are a really friendly community always happy to help one another. Made lots of good friends.

Cons

- Can't take a water bottle on the shop floor even with tonsilitis. The closest water cooler was 5 floors away, must be some sort of human right abuse.
    - Whilst working for a concession if you're the only person on your mat, floor managers would try to stop you leaving the shop floor for water, toilet or even to get replenish stock.
    - Very stressful work environment, customers often very rude due to poor support from floor managers. E.G if you need to authorise a refund it often takes 20/30 minutes for a manager to appear to do this, by which point the customers are cross.
    - When doing a hand over with a colleague a floor manager stormed over and said we could not stand together or speak to one another which prevents having a productive work environment.
    - Told multiple times I'd be banned from the store for minor issues such as not telling other colleagues who don't work for the same brand to stop talking around me. Even though I have no authority.

Advice to Management

Stop hiring power hungry floor managers. Actually, employ HOF staff instead of relying on concession staff to do all there work.

9. "Good Place to Work"

Former Employee - Sales Assistant in Manchester, England (UK)
    Former Employee - Sales Assistant in Manchester, England (UK)

I worked at House of Fraser (More than a year)

Pros

I really enjoyed my two years + at HOF, whilst in my later years we had a floor manager who wasn't the nicest, she was soon replaced and it went back to being a fun working environment. We always had a laugh, hard work was appreciated, you get certain discounts for uniform and there was room for training etc. I trained as a first aider and thus felt even more like I was contributing to the team. The managers were always flexible with rotas (I was at uni at the time) and deputy floor managers were helpful!

Cons

My only con was one of the floor managers who was the least people friendly person I have ever met - she was soon replaced (although just went to a different floor), and the other 2 managers I had there were great. There was also a mix-up with holidays which wasn't alerted to me by HR, so ended up having a hefty amount taken out of my last wage.

Advice to Management

Keep appreciating your staff, keep an eye on concession managers as they were sometimes extremely clicky and got away with stuff, but all in all just keep doing a great job! I was really sad to leave.

10. "Poor , management do not listen and drive great employees away"

Former Employee - Online Team Member in London, England (UK)
    Former Employee - Online Team Member in London, England (UK)

I worked at House of Fraser full-time (More than a year)

Pros

Exposure to an archaic business who are trying (but failing) to keep up with the times, many businesses still like this so good to get this exposure.

Cons

Had serious issues with a senior manager for a long period, raised this internally and was ignored despite people not wanting to come into work due to rollercoaster and bullying behaviour. Massive blame culture, limited career opportunities, but some people accelerate through ranks with no clear indication as to why.

Advice to Management

Listen to the team. Stop being a boys club. Majority of staff are female but not represented at the board level.