Housing Opportunities Commission Reviews | Glassdoor

Housing Opportunities Commission Executive Director STACY L. SPANN
STACY L. SPANN
1 Rating

Sort: PopularRatingDate

1. "Accounting Payable/Receivable Clerk"

Current Employee - Accounting Payable/Receivable Clerk in Kensington, MD
    Current Employee - Accounting Payable/Receivable Clerk in Kensington, MD

Pros

• Maintains accounting ledgers by posting account transactions.
    • Verifies accounts by reconciling statements and transactions.
    • Resolves account discrepancies by investigating documentation; issuing stop-payments, payments or adjustments.
    • Maintains financial security by following internal accounting controls.
    • Secures financial information by completing data base backups.
    • Maintains financial historical records by filing accounting documents.
    • Contributes to team effort by accomplishing related results as needed.
    • Enter expense reports daily
    • Direct calls and respond to inquiries.
    • Receiving and organizing and coding incoming mail.
    • Issues and maintains Certificates of Insurance for the company.
    • Prepare vendor requests for mailing.
    • Prepare formal evaluations recommend promotions, awards and selections for vacancies resolve informal military soldier’s complaints.
    • Implement and administer field policies for programs to include all actions pertaining to
    • Concerning military employees in accordance with regulation.
    • Established guidelines and performance expectations for military members, which are communicated through the formal employee performance management system.

Cons

Opportunities is only giving to a few

Advice to Management

If I can get that opportunity I will take it. there not that much at the Housing Opportunities Commission

2. "Great Company"

Former Employee - Anonymous Employee in Elkridge, MD
    Former Employee - Anonymous Employee in Elkridge, MD

I worked at Housing Opportunities Commission (More than a year)

Pros

One of my best jobs ever. ED is an amazing leader and has really turned the agency around.

Cons

Promotional opportunities is very limited

Advice to Management

No comment

3. "You've been warned"

Former Employee - Anonymous Employee in Kensington, MD
    Former Employee - Anonymous Employee in Kensington, MD

I worked at Housing Opportunities Commission full-time (More than 5 years)

Pros

The benefits are good. It is a good mission and HOC is more innovative than it used to be. They throw tailgate parties and have a really nice staff appreciation event every year. They play music in the hallways and the main office is close to 495.

Cons

Some members of the executive team are incompetent and shouldn't be leading anyone. A few even manage like a high-school click or with a bully mentality and it is very unprofessional. Pay is terrible and unless you are part of the "in-crowd" you can forget about a promotion. Hard work doesn't even matter. The environment is toxic. No one trusts management and employees will backstab you to get ahead. Morale is the worst it has ever been in the seven years I was there. You especially don't want to work in finance, IT or HR. The Kensington building is over crowded and there isn't good parking.

Advice to Management

Pay more attention to how directors, managers and supervisors treat staff. Be more transparent. Don't tolerate employees bullying each other.

4. "Manager"

Former Employee - Anonymous Employee in Montgomery Knolls, Montgomery, MD
    Former Employee - Anonymous Employee in Montgomery Knolls, Montgomery, MD

I worked at Housing Opportunities Commission full-time (More than 10 years)

Pros

HOC is well established company with lonks to Federal dollars. Programs are fully funded and not subject to grant cycles.

Cons

Programs are undergoing program review and consolidation. New management interested in bottom line and jobs are being lost and shifted

Advice to Management

Consider ompact on entire community oncluding staff families when making decisions.

"Not great but could be worse"

Current Employee - Anonymous Employee in Kensington, MD

I have been working at Housing Opportunities Commission full-time (Less than a year)

Pros

Great benefits, rewarding mission to serve low income families. Good team spirit, best supervisor I've ever had. Emphasis on cutting edge technology and innovation.

Cons

Flex schedules are hard to come by. Many employees seem to be Kind of lazy. Inconsistent performance standards and office space is overcrowded.

Advice to Management

Keep the innovative ideas coming. Pay a little more.

"Ex Employee"

Former Employee - Senior Property Manager in Kensington, MD
    Former Employee - Senior Property Manager in Kensington, MD

Pros

Fellow employees and their loyalty.

Cons

They do not keep up with industry standards in management practices.
    They do not follow fair practices in handling issues between residents and employees, leaving employees in jeopardy.

Advice to Management

They need to have an outside consultant come in and reorganize the bureaucracy.

7. "Great place to work!"

Current Employee - Anonymous Employee in Kensington, MD

Pros

Speaking about my department & boss, the work schedule is flexible, which allows for good work life balance. The workload is consistently pretty heavy, but people are generally cooperative and friendly, which makes things better, especially since much of my work intersects with other departments. I understand that the agency once had a reputation as sluggish, and that many people were let go a few years ago. The (relatively new) Executive Director is dynamic and personable, as far as my interactions.
      Coming here out of school, I appreciate the balance between structure and independence in my responsibilities. I've been getting excellent experience and exposure in my field. The work is also very meaningful, which to me is a big plus. So far, I'm happy with my decision to take this job, last year.

Cons

Definitely, the pay could be better. That's probably my only complaint. But as a local, quasi- government agency, this is kind of expected.

Advice to Management

Continue to be dynamic, creative, and showing car for your workers. Also, consider a review of salaries for increases.

"A positive experience for the first 8 years."

Former Employee - Management in Kensington, MD
    Former Employee - Management in Kensington, MD

I worked at Housing Opportunities Commission full-time (More than 8 years)

Pros

HOC was a good place to work for 8 years. The pay is less than the private market but the benefits make up the difference.

Cons

In 2012 the Commission decided to go in a new direction and brought in an Executive Director who gut the agency to save money.

9. "Would Be great, with a raise and better employees to work with"

Current Employee - Anonymous Employee in North Kensington, MD
    Current Employee - Anonymous Employee in North Kensington, MD

I have been working at Housing Opportunities Commission full-time (More than 3 years)

Pros

Stability in State Gov't position, convenient locations, good people to work with depending your department, Ability to work a flexible schedule.

Cons

Rude people, no raise in the last 3 yrs, a union that does nothing for you, but takes your money biweekly. While they offer tuition reimbursement there is no opportunity for training, or promotions unless someone leaves you can then advance into their space.

Advice to Management

Value workers, give training and raises.

10. "The best job ever"

I worked at Housing Opportunities Commission full-time

Pros

Fast paced that provides a public service. Great learning opportunities, opportunities for growth and promotion. Awesome benefits.

Cons

Long working hours. Don't end up on the black ball list.