Houston Community Newspapers Reviews | Glassdoor

Sort: PopularRatingDate

1. "Account Executive"

Current Employee - Anonymous Employee in The Woodlands, TX
    Current Employee - Anonymous Employee in The Woodlands, TX

I have been working at Houston Community Newspapers (More than 3 years)

Pros

Great clients & great products to offer

Cons

Difficult to make money year to year

Advice to Management

Raise pay across the board

2. "Newspaper Life"

Former Employee - Editor in Houston, TX
    Former Employee - Editor in Houston, TX

I worked at Houston Community Newspapers full-time (More than 3 years)

Pros

Writing for a community paper and managing it can be a lot of fun. The communities are great and a wonderful chance for cub reporters to get experience.

Cons

Overall company management is lacking when it comes to resources to make the vision happen. Also, furloughs as a way to keep things on the up and up destroys work morale.

3. "Lacking Pay"

Former Employee - Anonymous Employee in Houston, TX
    Former Employee - Anonymous Employee in Houston, TX

I worked at Houston Community Newspapers (More than 5 years)

Pros

Employees are great to work with.

Cons

Salaries are extremely low.

Advice to Management

Pay your staff comparable wages and offer better benefits.

4. "Not surprised They Got Bought by Chronicle"

Former Employee - Account Executive in Houston, TX
    Former Employee - Account Executive in Houston, TX

I worked at Houston Community Newspapers full-time

Pros

Good local content for readers, many people want to support you succeed.

Cons

Pay too low. Some managers too unrealistic or greedy. Also some managers are not empathetic or fair to sales people.

5. "Multimedia Consultant"

Current Employee - Multimedia Consultant in Houston, TX
    Current Employee - Multimedia Consultant in Houston, TX

I have been working at Houston Community Newspapers full-time (More than a year)

Pros

Great sales team and manager. Decent benefits. Access to multiple lead services. Long standing history within the communities.

Cons

Very low salary with high expectations. Behind the times in technology. Location of the office was not desirable.

Advice to Management

Invest in decent equipment for your sales team to succeed. Raise the low salary for sales up to market standard.

6. "Sales Postition"

Former Employee - Multimedia Specialist in The Woodlands, TX
    Former Employee - Multimedia Specialist in The Woodlands, TX

I worked at Houston Community Newspapers full-time (More than a year)

Pros

It was located close to my home, which made the commute very easy. The territory is within a five mile radius as well.

Cons

The con with working there was the medium which it uses...Newspaper. That market is declining and one has to use the community approach for it to sell

Advice to Management

Well, if it's the same people still there, I wish them nothing but the best of luck.

7. "HCN Life"

Current Employee - Graphic Artist in Houston, TX
    Current Employee - Graphic Artist in Houston, TX

I have been working at Houston Community Newspapers (More than 8 years)

Pros

good co-workers, clean environement & relaxed atmosphere

Cons

conroe is a bad location to have head quarters

Advice to Management

move

"Account Executive"

Current Employee - Account Executive in Houston, TX
    Current Employee - Account Executive in Houston, TX

I have been working at Houston Community Newspapers full-time

Pros

Some great people work here. Best graphic artists I have ever worked with. Able to sell both print and digital products.

Cons

Though able to sell both print and digital products, there is no support for the digital side of things. We need more support and training but they can't keep any staff except for the manager and she can't be everywhere at the same time. Poor pay for staff and benefits are extremely high with the employer hardly paying anything toward them. Not investing in the talent they have on staff. Hard to keep good people. Corporate office in Conroe makes HCN look like a "hick" company when we are trying to sell to larger companies. BAD location.

Advice to Management

1. Move your corporate office from Conroe.
    2. Invest in your current good employees with higher pay and pay more of a portion of the benefits.
    3. Add other options for employees like Aflac has.
    4. Promote your good employees instead of hiring from outside if they have the qualifications. I have seen great people leave due to not being promoted and it was bad for the company's revenue.
    5. PTO is ridiculous. No sick days. Only 2 weeks vacation. Most companies have at least 2 weeks vacation and at least 3-6 sick days per year that can be used in hourly increments for doctor appointments.

9. "Very Good company to work for"

Pros

I have been with this company 5 years and the current owners for 2 1/2.
    There is a very large difference between the current management staff and the old management staff.
    The current management staff cares! Yes, they expect everyone to do their job, they push employees to do their best at all times, but don't all company's do that.
     I feel sorry for the employees that gripe about every little thing they can, they should look elsewhere for a job, every employer has rules. I personally can't stand listening to those type of co-workers. I avoid being around them. I have worked for 4 different company's in Houston and there always seems to be a few whiners. This company has worked hard to rebuild a company that was going down hill. I am lucky to have a good group of co-workers to work with, most are willing to help at all times and also care deeply about each other. it is a friendly place to work. This company does a lot of promoting from within, I know of at least 3 promotions this year. Each year they have a special day for all the employees, 1013 day, it is a day of fun and really good food usually held at a place like Main Event, with games and team building activities. It is great to meet all the employees, there are multiple offices within the company and until 1013 took over I had never met some people at other offices, I talked to them on the phone for years but never met. them.
    Overall I think it is a great place to work with good leadership and desires to make it a good company.

Cons

Benefits aren't great, insurance rates are high, especially for a family. Singles rate isn't too bad.
    My husbands employers rates are very close to our rates.
    Pay is a little lower than some company's in Houston for comparable jobs.

Advice to Management

work on pay and benefits, add some benefits like disability insurance and 401k.

10. "Good Place to Work"

I have been working at Houston Community Newspapers full-time (More than 3 years)

Pros

Everyone at this company works hard and puts in the effort to get work done and that includes managers. The company appreciates its employees and does what it can to remind employees of that. Most managers make an attempt to thank and praise us. Once a year the company does an employee appreciation day where it is a paid day for us and we go play games, eat and drink. They are flexible with schedules and understanding and supportive about uncontrollable circumstances. The newspaper was purchased a a few years back and since then the work environment has completely changed from the corporate lifestyle it used to be This is a pleasant place to work if you are willing and eager to work.

Cons

Work loads can be a lot at times and this requires some planning. Yes there are a few debbie downers but you would find that at any job

Advice to Management

Most managers have an open door policy but maybe they should actively seek out employees opinions and ideas.