Houston Housing Authority Reviews | Glassdoor

Houston Housing Authority President & CEO Tory Gunsolley
Tory Gunsolley

1. "Housing Specialist"

Current Employee - Housing Specialist in Houston, TX

I have been working at Houston Housing Authority full-time (Less than a year)

Pros

The HR team was awesome. The recruiter was very helpful throughout the hiring process and everyone has been so nice. They offer great benefits and flex schedule. The pay is not the best but you are given the opportunity to help someone and make their lives better.

Cons

At this time I do not have any cons because I'm fairly new, but the construction in the parking lot makes it hard to find a parking spot. Also the traffic getting there because it is on Westheimer the traffic can be bad in the mornings.

2. "SQL Developer"

Former Employee - SQL Developor in Chicago, IL
    Former Employee - SQL Developor in Chicago, IL

I worked at Houston Housing Authority (Less than a year)

Pros

Great nice IT team,junior level ,Hiring decision based on the HR ,HR called the references with her voice as debt collector and left a voice mail,and had the IT manger call and leave his name as debt collector too.I called back she demanded hang up.and I lost the junior level because she took it its confirm to her conclusions!!!!!!!

Cons

lost the junior level and great IT team,finding such opportunity not easy,but what to say for such HR lady

Advice to Management

please dont call our references as debt collectors with your voice and calling back to question what is that all about should make you discuss and question not just draw conclusions

"A great Housing Authority"

Current Employee - Coordinator in Houston, TX
    Current Employee - Coordinator in Houston, TX

I have been working at Houston Housing Authority (More than a year)

Pros

Supportive work environment. Consistent and predictable work.

Cons

Work can be monotonous, but really depends on department. Job hoarding and secrecy rampant.

Advice to Management

Work harder at engaging staff in meaningful work and try to eliminate the silo effect

"The need new managemant"

I worked at Houston Housing Authority (Less than a year)

Pros

Benefits offered, paid holidays, PTO and decent co-workers.

Cons

Like being in High School, more mess than work being done. Horrible management, you are on your own during and after training. I met a few good people who have worked there past 5 years. The have tough skin and stay to their selves. I followed that example until I couldn't stand it. I took a new position elsewhere with better pay and no stress. People like me with 2 or more degrees were definitely low-balled in pay.

Advice to Management

Promote the employees who are knowledgeable about procedures as TEAM LEADS, newbies can not lead on topics they are learning as well. Stop making employees feel bad for not knowing. Turnover rate is so high, has anyone sat down and thought why!!

"Work company Ever"

Current Employee - Housing Specialist in Houston, TX

I have been working at Houston Housing Authority (More than a year)

Pros

I tried hard to think of something so I'd say, 15 minute grace period to CLOCK IN to work. Also, I like working close to where I live.

Cons

Morale is horrible here. My first week of work my boss and other employees were discussing other job interviews. I have been late on several occasions due to having to circle the parking lot. Management is aware of the problem, and said there's nothing they can do about it while construction is underway. Meanwhile all top level staff have reserved parking spots. The amount of reserved spots has tripled since construction started making it nearly impossible for normal staff to park when the agency has events almost weekly.

The benefits are EXPENSIVE. And HR messed mine up when I first started and it took awhile to fix my information. I have to check my clock ins and outs daily as well as my paychecks every other week to make sure my time was inputted correctly. It has been incorrect NUMEROUS times. At least 2-3 times a month.

The air was broken for at least a month (IN MAY). We'd work with the lights off to try and cool the room off. When it was working, I called the building supervisor to say it was scorching hot and she said that was because an executive was cold in their area, so they turned the air down. It took everything for me not to quit that day.

For your own sake, do not take a job here. This is a horrible place. I am currently looking for another job. I'd rather work at the mall than work here.

Advice to Management

An executive's temperature comforts shouldn't trump all other employees, parking issues aren't addressed by giving all the 'important' staff reserved parking spots and forcing the rest to fend for themselves.
    Dressing up and taking pictures once a month in the lobby won't fix the morale problem.

"Housing Specialist"

I worked at Houston Housing Authority (Less than a year)

Pros

Good starting pay for fresh college grad.
    Benefits are excellent.

Cons

Stressful, not for everyone.
    Unorganized and turnover is extremely high.

Advice to Management

New system, listen to your staff!!

"Horrible Pay."

Former Employee - Housing Analyst in Houston, TX
    Former Employee - Housing Analyst in Houston, TX

I worked at Houston Housing Authority full-time (More than a year)

Pros

Being able to assist and encourage clients / families that were genuinely in need of housing assistance was very rewarding. Flexible work schedules

Cons

Most caseworkers were trying to live off of a $24,000 annual salary. The morale of the dept was very low because many of the caseworkers housing clients brought in more annual income than the housing authority employees. There was no real sense of urgency to address client issues....Phone access horrible (thousands of housing clients with maybe 10 call center workers) -----I could go on and on

"Housing Specialist"

Current Employee - Housing Specialist in Houston, TX

I have been working at Houston Housing Authority (Less than a year)

Pros

you get your own office, your work schedule is pretty decent

Cons

lots of work, little pay

"Madness"

Current Employee - Housing Specialist in Houston, TX

I have been working at Houston Housing Authority full-time (More than a year)

Pros

Client contact, helping families with housing, business casual dress code

Cons

No advancement, employees overworked, under paid, unappreciated. No proper training. Horrible computer program. High turnover.

Advice to Management

Listen to your employees. New management needed. Pay more. Stop being a dictatorship.

"Horrible place to work! Low pay. Completely ruled by politics. VP of Housing/ Director lie to the employees."

Former Employee - Worker in Houston, TX
    Former Employee - Worker in Houston, TX

I worked at Houston Housing Authority full-time (More than 3 years)

Pros

Scope of job and feeling of giving back.

Cons

Pay is awful. Company policies and politics. Management is always looking to leave. Building conditions are deplorable. High turn over rate and lawsuits. Terminates strong employees. Keeps substandard employees.

Advice to Management

Too much to list.