Houston Methodist Reviews | Glassdoor

Rating Trends Rating Trends
Houston Methodist President & CEO Marc Boom
Marc Boom

1. Featured Review

"11 years, multiple promotions, plenty of pay increases, love it here!"

Pros

What sets Houston Methodist apart from other organizations is the culture. The I CARE values of Integrity, Compassion, Accountability, Respect and Excellence permeate everything we do. We do strive to be the best - the best employer, the best patient care provider, the best patient experience provider - and sometimes that push for excellence is overwhelming to new people. But for those of us who thrive an setting and achieving high expectations, it is incredibly rewarding. I started as a non-management employee and have worked my way up through a few promotions. My salary has increased proportionate with the new challenges I have taken on and my benefits continue to grow with tenure. The benefits package is so rich for tenured employees it is hard to even consider making a change. Good pay, good benefits, a flexible schedule, opportunities for growth - what is not to love? Oh yeah - $millions in investment of extra PTO when we flooded in May - what other company does that? None that I know of!

Cons

If you want a job where you can just show up and exist, but not contribute with passion and expertise, you will not survive here. Parking in the med center is a known challenge not just for Methodist, and is a tradeoff you have to live with to work in the world's most innovative medical center. But parking is free, which is better than a lot of companies in the Houston area's condensed business centers.

Advice to Management

Treat your team as you want your boss to treat you. Take advantage of leadership development opportunities.

Houston Methodist Response

Oct 11, 2016 – Houston Methodist Representative

Thank you for your review! Houston Methodist dedicates itself to service excellence and leading medicine. Our success is driven by our I-CARE platform and is embraced and practiced by all employees.

"Great company to work for!!!"

Current Employee - Pharmacy Technician in Houston, TX
    Current Employee - Pharmacy Technician in Houston, TX

Pros

Management respects the employees. Benefits are awsome!!!

Cons

Very large, sometimes employees can get "lost" in the shuffle.

Advice to Management

Keep up the great work!

3. "Biomedical - Cellular biochemistry Job"

Former Employee - Research Associate I in Indianapolis, IN
    Former Employee - Research Associate I in Indianapolis, IN

Pros

Good experience for starting career
    Nice peolpe

Overall all a good experience, however, it could have been better if manager was cooperative.

Cons

Unorganized Managment
    Funding - project issues

Good medical research experience. Management does not completely support employee which could be discouraging. High turnover rate

Advice to Management

Take Methodist Research as a viable group

5. "great environment to work in"

Current Employee - Transporter in Houston, TX
    Current Employee - Transporter in Houston, TX

Pros

help people get better as quickly as a]possible

Cons

alot of walking. pushin someone up hill

"Excellent company to work for with excellent benefits and core values."

Current Employee - Research Assistant in Houston, TX
    Current Employee - Research Assistant in Houston, TX

Pros

Excellent benefits and resources. Provides great support to employees and have good company core values. Company is focused on becoming one of the best in the business.

Cons

There is not a lot of negative things I can say. I have limited opportunities to advance, but this is atypical at this institution and more job specific to my field.

Advice to Management

Management at the Hospital in general does an excellent job of providing feedback to employees as well as getting feedback from employees.

7. "It has been very satisfying."

Current Employee - Senior Applications Analyst in Houston, TX
    Current Employee - Senior Applications Analyst in Houston, TX

Pros

Nice people, great culture, good management.,

Cons

Work very hard and sometimes long hours.

8. "The Methodist Hospital is the best hospital in the world in many specialties and operates as such."

Former Employee - Credentialing Coordinator in Houston, TX
    Former Employee - Credentialing Coordinator in Houston, TX

Pros

Methodist centers itself on values. It's in the heart of the medical center in Houston where cost of living is low.

Cons

The Methodist Hospital can be competitive because the hospital is very high profile. Medicine has it's ups and downs no matter where you work.

Advice to Management

The Methodist hospital was a wonderful place to work. I am so thrilled for Marc Boom to be taking over for Ron Girotto. I truly believe he will make wonderful things happen for the hospital.

9. "That is very wonderful"

Current Employee - Postdoctoral Fellow V in Houston, TX
    Current Employee - Postdoctoral Fellow V in Houston, TX

Pros

take it easy
    good job environment

Cons

If I order something, I need to wait for too long time

Advice to Management

improve the salary

"Very focused on employee and patient satisfaction, but lacking teamwork at the Director and VP levels."

Former Employee - Director in Houston, TX
    Former Employee - Director in Houston, TX

I worked at Houston Methodist full-time (More than 5 years)

Pros

Great benefits, very competitive pay, and a large system if you are looking for promotion. Frequent bonuses for performance.

Cons

Poor cooperation among Director-level employees. Cut-throat tactics are rewarded - or ignored, but never addressed. This often leads to stress and issues at the worker-bee level.

Advice to Management

Address the hyper-competitive and destructive attitudes of Vice Presidents and Directors. This behavior has a very negative effect on morale.

11. "Educational, Committed to Patients and It's employees."

Current Employee - Cardiac Tech II in Houston, TX
    Current Employee - Cardiac Tech II in Houston, TX

I have been working at Houston Methodist part-time (More than a year)

Pros

I Care Values help to structure your growth with the company. Methodist creates a direction for creativity and action. The energy that flows through this hospital system is goal and vision generated. ASK, Believe, and Receive.

Cons

I don't have one, but would like to continue being lifed through this company.

Advice to Management

I know right now that the hospital state of mind has put limitations on Medical Institutions, around our country. My belief is that : what every you project in your mind to be sound and good ground business choices believe that and the rest of us will follow. Love working for this company.....