Houston Texas Consulting Reviews | Glassdoor

Sort: PopularRatingDate

1. "Fundamentals"

Current Employee - Account Manager in Houston, TX
    Current Employee - Account Manager in Houston, TX

Pros

Mentor. Some of the greatest minds in the world had mentors and that is what this "program" or company does for you.
    Work long hours (teaches you tenacity), work till you hit your goal (teaches you decipline), This company structures you so you can become a better sales man, business man, or entrepreneur .
    I worked there for Mike Payne. I worked for about 5-6 months. Mike Payne has continued to mentor me while I now have my own business unrelated to his.
    -Rob Gonzalez

Cons

After 3 years of leaving the company, I come back to realize there were no cons. They teach you the fundamentals you need to become a better business man.

Advice to Management

I know Mike moved on but my experiences with John were professional. He maybe hard, trust me you won't understand the reasoning, but once you start your own business you will learn the reason.

"Good Concept, Bad Management"

Former Employee - Account Manager in Houston, TX
    Former Employee - Account Manager in Houston, TX

I worked at Houston Texas Consulting full-time (Less than a year)

Pros

Opportunity for personal development, experience training and managing a team, as well as interviewing. It's a fun, fast paced work environment that forces the employee to improve in some facet of their life.

Cons

100% Commission is the only way to make real money but most won't tell you that during initial interview. My biggest issue was the training that was that some of the tactics used by higher ups, (successful reps and managers) contradicted the training given to new hires.

Advice to Management

Set proper expectations for employees and be forward with any additional sales methods rather than have them figure them out 6 months down the line when sales could've been had if all the information was given from the beginning

""Expect old school sales- Door to Door""

I worked at Houston Texas Consulting full-time

Pros

They make it seem fun- lots of after hour time together in your "team". That is mostly drinking time. To be frank- there are little pro's to working here. you may as well go sell Cutco knives. Its the same "life-coaching" mentality. John preaches stability and the ability to gain "wealth" but wealthy stable people own their homes and do not have one of their employees drive them to work every morning instead of having a car.

Cons

Pay sucks- all commission. They give you the option for flat rate but thats like $300 weekly. Don't waste your time somewhere like this unless you like door to door sales when you have so many other options out there where you make consistent money. I like to be able to pay my bills-

"Fun culture"

I worked at Houston Texas Consulting full-time

Pros

Worked with a lot of cool people, learned a lot about sales, got to meet interesting people out in the field.

Cons

Being purely commission based, it was very hard to sustain during the down weeks. There is a high turnover because the commission is so low for entry level employees. It is better for people who build teams and get promoted to management.

Advice to Management

Focus on incentives to keep the employees who are working hard to build a team. The job is just not sustainable for most.

"Account Manager"

I worked at Houston Texas Consulting full-time

Pros

The people were nice, but most were fake. They want you to stay so they take you out to dinner and social hour, which was hard to have fun at because the pay was so bad.

Cons

The biggest is definitely when an owner for a business I visited attacked me and the company response was not good. I was sexually assaulted when at a business. When I told the manager, they said that going to the police would be a bad idea because it was technically my fault and would make us look bad. I was crying and freaked out because that had never happened to me and I didn't expect to be victim-blamed for a situation I didn't cause. I quit a week later.

The pay is terrible, especially if the weeks are slow or the customers back out on a sale. When I worked there you had to make it back to the office by a certain time (6, I think) in order to retain weekly benefits towards pay. My territory was in Baytown, which made that goal only achievable if I left at 4pm, but that would harm the amount of stops I could make, which would also harm my goal. It was a catch-22 and if the pay wasn't commission based, the job would be much less stressful.

Advice to Management

Make the job safer and more financially viable for new grads. Also, you should probably be clearer in what the job entails when interviewing, because the job description and pay promises during interviews do not match with what you actually will receive.

"Sales Consultant"

Former Employee - Anonymous in Houston, TX
    Former Employee - Anonymous in Houston, TX

Pros

Even though I had the worst experience at this company with long hours and no pay for the time lack of sleep and hard word i put in I learned there are companies out there you have to watch out for such as this one and I will spread the word.

Cons

I had a terrible work experience here as I worked many hours and did not get paid. This was a scam with nothing but ruthless people.

Advice to Management

Improve yourself or you will sued.

"It's okay"

Former Employee - Account Manager
    Former Employee - Account Manager

I worked at Houston Texas Consulting full-time (Less than a year)

Pros

My skills have definitely sharpened in my very short time here. Everyone in the office is quick to answer any of your questions or if you have any concerns and the entire office is very friendly. The games played in the morning really puts everyone in the mood to tackle the day, but honestly, there were a lot of college kids doing this job. There is a lot of training put into this position too, and if you're a girl, you have to be careful about what territory the give you. I did not know this was a B2B position until my first day at the company. However, they do promote clean sales and they train really well.

Cons

There are days that you'll work really hard but not make any money, since it's all commission. If you're promoted and you begin training others, you don't get compensated or receive any bonuses. If one of your sales fall through because of the technician or the customer changes their mind later, you don't get paid. There's a lot of instability in the financial aspect, especially since they expect so much from you. Some work days go from 7 am to 8:30 pm. They say they compensate for gas, but they only compensate half of gas when you reach a ridiculous goal of 8 sales in a week, which I haven't seen anyone do.

Advice to Management

Be CLEAR about what the job entails on your website and during the first interview, maybe then the retention rate will be a little higher and your employees won't have to waste so much time training people who did not know about what responsibilities of the job.

8. "Full Time Employee"

Former Employee - Anonymous Employee in Houston, TX

Pros

Great leadership training, and coaching. There are constant opportunities for development and growth within the company.

Cons

Some of the sales territories were in parts of town that weren't completely safe.

"This is a scam! Fraudulent company with zero compensation. Don't work here."

I worked at Houston Texas Consulting full-time (Less than a year)

Pros

None. I dreaded going to work every day.

Cons

This is one of those companies that is extremely vague with their job description. They call themselves a "consulting firm" and I still have no idea what that is. This is door-to-door sales all based on commission, so you are not even guaranteed to make anything after a long days work of being out on the streets selling office supplies or AT&T services. They sent me to the sketchiest area in Houston without doing any research on it and I had to beg Mexican tire shop owners to buy a roll of toilet paper from me to make 28% commission. I had store owners in the neighborhood tell me to leave the area immediately because they feared for my safety. Sometimes after getting rejected time after time after time, I would just sit in my car and cry. I couldn't believe that was my life. They expected you to see 60 businesses per day. They would try to brainwash you with all these theories and lessons about the law of averages or the gumball theory or use some other tactic to try to lift your spirits. I left the company a while ago and still have only received one pay check from them after contacting the manager several times. They promise bonuses and great training and moving up the corporate ladder quickly, but it is a scam. Besides, who solicits door to door anymore? If people want office supplies, they go to Office Depot, they don't want somebody knocking on their trying to sell them something they can get themselves. I am not exaggerating anything; it is really as bad as I have described. I just don't want people to fall for the same trick that I did.

Advice to Management

In about a year, I bet Quill won't need you guys anymore because the general public will know about it. My advice is to find another career now, before it's too late.

"Depends on your manager"

Former Employee - Account Man in Houston, TX
    Former Employee - Account Man in Houston, TX

I worked at Houston Texas Consulting full-time (More than a year)

Pros

John soukas is great manager

Cons

Tough job. Selling door to door. All cold calling and 100% commission

Advice to Management

Not much you can do