Houston Zoo Reviews | Glassdoor

Sort: PopularRatingDate

1. "Camp Guide"

Former Employee - Camp Guide in Houston, TX
    Former Employee - Camp Guide in Houston, TX

I worked at Houston Zoo part-time (More than a year)

Pros

Was a great time working with such great people. Wonderful environment, people eager to help if needed, play games with kids, great ways to learn how to improve with lead reviews.

Cons

too short since the kids go back to school

Advice to Management

None was a great experience had a wonderful time

2. "Management Issues"

Current Employee - Keeper in The Woodlands, TX
    Current Employee - Keeper in The Woodlands, TX

I have been working at Houston Zoo full-time (More than 5 years)

Pros

Good Benefits, plenty of hours and friendly co-workers. Being a keeper is a good job and animal department is run well, good leadership and challenging work.

Cons

Senior Management has serious issues here like no other job I’ve had. New CEO has run off or fired the better leaders and brought in robots that nod yes.

Advice to Management

Stop running off the good leaders. CEO should come out of his office occasionally. All focus is on spending money.

3. "the worse job ever"

Former Employee - Sales Associate in Houston, TX
    Former Employee - Sales Associate in Houston, TX

I worked at Houston Zoo part-time (More than a year)

Pros

other people are nice in other positions

Cons

the managers are mean and so disrespectful who ever want to work i the giftshop they will blame you for no reason so dont work there not even
    once im giving you a warning all she cares is the money and the supervisors as a co worker they wont treat you right thats is why i did not show up anymore and i quit so that and dont belive is 9$ an hour they wont give us non than 25 cent raises and no more just careles👎

Advice to Management

if the gift shop is a choise dont recomended go apply somewere else because the manager blame people for no reason she is a lyer and wont be nice to the people just the supervisors because she has trust issues with everybody 👎

4. "Needs better leaders"

Current Employee - Anonymous Employee in Houston, TX
    Current Employee - Anonymous Employee in Houston, TX

I have been working at Houston Zoo full-time (More than 3 years)

Pros

The animal keepers are awesome. Decent pay and hours

Cons

The leaders seem to get rid of people with influence. There is a revolving door.

Advice to Management

Identify toxic leadership.

5. "GSA"

I worked at Houston Zoo full-time

Pros

Loved working at the zoo! Walked around and helped guests, would love to go back as a part time gig

Cons

Working outside all day took some getting used to

6. "Gift Shop Staff"

Former Employee - GIFT SHOP STAFF in Houston, TX
    Former Employee - GIFT SHOP STAFF in Houston, TX

I worked at Houston Zoo part-time (Less than a year)

Pros

Great environment, awesome coworkers! I loved eating lunch by the giraffes

Cons

Hours are unpredictable and not flexible. Had to stand at the door of the gift shop for hours and hours and not allowed to sit down when my feet hurt. I wanted to be on the register just to make it more entertaining every day but they pick favorites to be on the register.

Advice to Management

More organization and be friendly! When the managers come out of the back, all the employees hide from them.

7. "Great work environment- Summer camp teacher"

I worked at Houston Zoo full-time

Pros

People are very positive and you get to interact with animals daily.

Cons

Heat can be exhausting and can be physically demanding for some.

Advice to Management

Keep up the good work in the education department

8. "Summer Camp Teacher in Education Department"

Pros

Great opportunity for working with both children and animals.

Cons

The heat can be a lot to handle but its worth it!

"Has Potential"

Pros

Lots of great people work there with the animals. They have passion for their jobs and for the animals they care for. There are many different species represented at this zoo. The grounds are beautiful. The Houston public is very supportive of the zoo and attendance numbers continue to climb. This is a good place to start your career in the animal field or get an internship under your belt. Benefits are good, not sure why others are complaining. Now the pay isn't the greatest. Union zoos are the only places the pay well.

Cons

After reading other recent reviews in the cons it's all singing the same tone. Management is horrible and there's a large disconnect from them and the people on the bottom. Unfortunately the zoo has also become one the the most political and country club systems I've ever seen. The worst part is as another review said, HR is apart of that system, so there is no support for anyone with issues towards management. HR is there to protect management and bully the rest. So if your having issues you really have no where to go, your boss's boss mostly likely brought your boss here from a previous job and HR is there to cover any issues up. I've personally witnessed several unprofessional acts as well as sexual harassment and the victims are to scared to report it because it deals with managers.

Advice to Management

Deborah is no longer the CEO and it's currently Lee Ehmke and has been for almost a year now. (Please update) You never see him, he doesn't interact with the employees. The zoo is in a phase right now where management is having ego identities trying to show who's more cool, it's weird. I think this is a fair assessment, yes there are some negatives but no where is perfect. Keep an eye on the job board this year, lots of positions open because a lot of people are trying to get out. Now if you read this review and still want to apply that's great. There are great things there but you just need to be aware of the negatives before going in so that your better prepared. I got my experience, met some great people, and moved onto the next step of my career. I have no advice for management, it's nothing they haven't already heard from the surveys they asked the staff to fill out.

"Dont Stick up for self"

I have been working at Houston Zoo (Less than a year)

Pros

nice place to start out. great place if you fall into the lifestyle.

Cons

Does not pay to have an opinion or disagree or be strong willed. Forget if you are somewhat aggressive.

Advice to Management

accept more personalities and grow a back bone.