Houston's Restaurant Reviews | Glassdoor

Updated November 19, 2018

Full-timePart-time

CEO

Sort: PopularRatingDate

"Not a bad place to work!!"

I have been working at Houston's Restaurant part-time

Pros

Fun and insightful managers
    Team oriented
    Learned many new skills

Cons

The training process is rigorous
    Impossible to get the biggest server sections because of people who have been working there for years
    Certain side-works at the end of the night can keep you there for hours after the restaurant closes

2. "Good money, corporate culture"

I worked at Houston's Restaurant full-time

Pros

The money is good and there always seems to be business. If you work hard and follow the guidelines, you'll be fine.

Cons

Culture is very corporate, anyone is expendable or replaceable.

3. "I would not wish for my worst enemy to work here"

Former Employee - Food Server in North Miami, FL
    Former Employee - Food Server in North Miami, FL

I worked at Houston's Restaurant part-time

Pros

You make very good money

Cons

The managers are horrible human beings, they will talk about you in front of your face and they think they work at goldman sachs......... You work in a ...... restaurant LOL Oh, also be prepared to be blamed for various things that you didn't do and if a manager doesn't like you they'll go out of their way to make your life hell so you quit in stead of having to pay you severance. There is a reason there are so many lawsuits against Hillstone corporation. Everything will eventually catch up to you.

Advice to Management

Stop being terrible people. What would you do if someone treated you child the way you treat people?

4. "Although stressful I really liked my co-workers and the pay was good"

Former Employee - Server in Santa Monica, CA
    Former Employee - Server in Santa Monica, CA

I worked at Houston's Restaurant part-time (More than 3 years)

Pros

You really have to be a certain type of person to work here. It's very fast paced and at times stressful. Good pay, great food.

Cons

Very corporate. When I worked there they were still doing the ranking system. Not sure if they still do it.

"There's an obvious reason why they're always understaffed"

Current Employee - Server in Manhattan Beach, CA
    Current Employee - Server in Manhattan Beach, CA

I have been working at Houston's Restaurant full-time (More than a year)

Pros

Consistent money. Set schedule (unless management decides to change it without asking or letting you know). AMAZING coworkers.

Cons

I have been forced to skip breaks on doubles before because it "slows them down". My coworkers who have been incredibly sick and have had doctors notes have been suspended for a week for not being able to get their shifts covered. Senior management is incredibly unprofessional in the way they treat their employees- they use intimidation to get what they want. Management is completely inconsistent with their customer service (I.e.: sometimes buys a salad for a table if it takes too long to hit BUT will make a table pay for a salad they didn't order if the management drops it there on accident...). There is zero mutual respect between management and employees- management demands respect bur treats employees like they're dispensable and then wonders why they can't keep anyone in the work place. They're oblivious to their own flaws and like it that way. if you work here, you are always in the wrong (according to management).

I would love to give this location a better rating because I've heard the company itself is great to work for, but it seems that corporate also doesn't care about the conditions at Manhattan Beach considering they've never done anything to change the management style.

Advice to Management

Mutual respect would be a good place to start.

6. "Server"

I worked at Houston's Restaurant part-time

Pros

Very fast paced restaurant but the employees are great and very helpful. Great money as well

Cons

I have none at the moment

"Server"

Former Employee - Server in Peachtree, GA
    Former Employee - Server in Peachtree, GA

I worked at Houston's Restaurant full-time (Less than a year)

Pros

The pay is great. You will make at least 200 per night and get paid every week.
    The schedule is consistent. Shifts rarely change and it is easy to pick up and give away shifts on Hot Schedules.

Cons

No cutting. You are there for 8-9 hours every shift. Period.
    The work is hard. No bussers or Server Assistants so you are constantly running. ( I thought this was manageable but you really have to love the job to work here)
    It is always high volume meaning tables will be sat right up until close.
    You have to work a minimum of 4-5 shifts per week and they do not allow requested time off.
    Basically, this is only a place for a career server. Not good for students or someone looking for a part time serving job.

8. "Not worth the stress!"

Current Employee - Server/Waitress in Pompano Beach, FL
    Current Employee - Server/Waitress in Pompano Beach, FL

I have been working at Houston's Restaurant part-time (More than a year)

Pros

Decent money
    Looks good on your résumé
    There is a system which genuinely works to ensure everything gets done in a proper manner.
    Co workers are willing to help you
    Half price on food

Cons

Management is absolutely terrible, they micromanage you and they belittle you for minor issues.
    Management plays favorites and gossips
    Hard to get a good section as a new server, seniority plays a major role on what section you get assigned (3 tables minimum).
    Hard to get time off
    Rude, entitled customers who are used to getting things for free, if they complain.
    Management candy and will write you up if you receive any guest complaint or blacklash, or if they feel like you handled a situation wrong.
    Co workers tell you what to do like a dictatorship.
    Lots of side work that keeps you at work late.
    Dreaded working with certain managers.
    Very critical of appearance (you must wear a full face of make up everyday).
    Ladies your nail polish must be pink or red, that's it!
    Management makes up new rules all the time, that you must follow or you will get in trouble.
    Lots of gossip!
    Stressful and toxic environment!
    Long hours, no (or short) breaks on doubles
    Must work on weekends.
    You do all of the work for yourself and often times your neighbor (take orders, run food, bus tables, seat tables), yet you still must tip out greeters and bartenders because Houston's doesn't want to pay them.

Advice to Management

Literally lay off a little bit, give your employees some room to breathe without micromanaging them.
    Try giving some positive feedback and constructive criticism, it would go a long way!
    Stop playing favorites based on seniority, we notice it.

"Waitress (part-time)"

Current Employee - Server/Waitress in Buckhead, GA
    Current Employee - Server/Waitress in Buckhead, GA

Pros

Great atmosphere and friendly staffs.

Cons

There are not too many cons.

Advice to Management

Staffs should have a short break.

"Waitress!"

Former Employee - Server/Waiter in Stockbridge, GA
    Former Employee - Server/Waiter in Stockbridge, GA

I worked at Houston's Restaurant (Less than a year)

Pros

I made great money every time that I worked! Everyone was so nice! I learned so much about fine dining.

Cons

I didn't have any cons while working with this company!

Advice to Management

You guys do a wonderful job! I would come back if the commute wasn't so far!