Cover image for Houzz
Logo

Engaged Employer

Add a Review

Houzz Employee Reviews about "fully stocked kitchen"

Updated Nov 5, 2021

77 Comments

Tech

573.6K Members

Ask candid career questions

-1 - https://www.fishbowlapp.com/bowl/technology/posts?cf=gd&utm_medium=Glassdoor&utm_source=glassdoor.com&utm_campaign=Reviews&utm_content=Industry-content-prominent-Reviews&utm_term=Houzz~716331
Join the conversation on

Got a burning question about Houzz? Just ask!

On Fishbowl, you can share insights and advice anonymously with Houzz employees and get real answers from people on the inside.

What's Fishbowl
Ask a Question

Top Review Highlights by Sentiment

Pros
  • "The best part about this job is that you work with some truly great people.(in 154 reviews)
  • "Houzz has a great culture and values that many at the company truly believe in(in 96 reviews)
  • "Great benefits and always new oppurtunities for promotions.(in 73 reviews)
  • "Beautiful office in downtown San Diego with a look over the ballpark(in 58 reviews)
  • "Great team(in 57 reviews)
Cons
Pros & Cons are excerpts from user reviews. They are not authored by Glassdoor.

Ratings by Demographics

This rating reflects the overall rating of Houzz and is not affected by filters.

Want more demographic options?

Reviews about "fully stocked kitchen"

Return to all Reviews
  1. 1.0
    Former Employee

Haunted Houzz

May 5, 2016 - Associate Buyer in Irvine, CA
    Business Outlook

Pros

Houzz has an amazing environment where you are surrounded by not just intelligent and friendly people but a group of young professionals who really support each other. Its near impossible to leave Houzz without building really strong friendships and relationships with the people around you. Fully stocked kitchen and free Friday lunches are nice too.

Cons

Despite all the incredible reviews about how much people love their jobs, a change is definitely needed within the organization. It is widely known throughout the office that employees are asked to leave raving reviews on Glassdoor to offset the negative. You’ll probably notice that for every bad review almost immediately there are 4-5 raving reviews that sound nearly identical. It’s nearly impossible to get an accurate response to a question from management, seeing that every decision has to go through one head manager. While things seem logical or obvious no changes will ever be made without the approval of one key person in charge who has no idea how some of the departments are actually ran. The Marketplace department is often referred to as a “startup within a startup” but the only real reason for that is management is so far removed from what actually happens that growth is unobtainable. Upper management is so focused on hitting unrealistic goals set from the CEO who spends nearly no time with the teams that they end up not just micromanaging, but putting their efforts towards growing a large site with no quality content. Selling products on Houzz is pitched as an incredible opportunity for a new online platform, when in reality the company puts zero focus on actually growing the business or sales; their only priority is to get as many products as possible so they are worth more…not actually building anything of value. If you can deal with all of the micromanagement and secrecy within the company, you should probably know that you can’t expect consistent pay either. Many employees were “promoted” into the new Marketplace department being told there would be lots of room for growth and expansion, when in reality even management doesn’t know the path for many positions & you will receive a pay cut. Shortly after I moved into a position within MP and realized commission structures not just changed but were significantly less than what had ever been before. I reached out to management with confusion on how I could be given a promotion, yet not have the opportunity to even make as much as I did in an entry level position and I was told “are you here for the money, or the opportunity to work for a company like Houzz”….I’m here to make money, if I wanted great opportunities I would be traveling the world, not sitting in a lime green call center. They also said things such as "You were never supposed to make that much money in that role." due to the teams ability to over exceed goals.

85 people found this review helpful
  2. 1.0
    Former Employee

Trade Account Manager

Sep 20, 2018 - Anonymous Employee
    Business Outlook

Pros

The office is really cool and the kitchen is fully stocked.

Cons

They lied about the job description and the pay. Everyone I 'shadowed' during my training was very negative about the company. During the interview they told be the average TAM sales and when I got hired I saw the average and it was $130,000 less than what they told me.

6 people found this review helpful
  3. Join the Houzz team
    See Our Latest Jobs
  4. 1.0
    Former Employee, less than 1 year

Empty Promises

Dec 29, 2017 - Account Coordinator
    Business Outlook

Pros

- Free food and fully stocked kitchen. - Laidback atmosphere. - Great co-workers, life-long friends. - Apple computers and products.

Cons

- Terrible pay. Atrocious pay. If the pay is indicative of your worth, you are worthless to Houzz. - You are expendable. They are not afraid to fire you or even just do away with your job. You are not cared for or provided for. - Your job description changes constantly. Your pay changes constantly. Your targets change constantly. - Benefits are outrageously expensive if you are not single. - Management is a joke. Literally, if you are not a tall, skinny, blonde woman who only cares about your appearance, don’t expect to be promoted to management.

18 people found this review helpful
  5. 5.0
    Current Employee, less than 1 year

Best Work Environment

Sep 13, 2017 - Team Lead in Tempe, AZ
    Business Outlook

Pros

I have been working at Houzz for almost a year and it's been the best work environment I've ever been apart of. The incentives for sales people are amazing and the leadership team is always encouraging. -The work life balance is so great -The opportunity for growth is amazing, I've already been promoted -The kitchen is fully stocked so I don't ever have to spend money on breakfast/lunch -My Manager is extremely supportive of the path I want to grow towards here at Houzz. She helped me get this first promotion and works hard with me to help me get to where I want to be. -The people that work at Houzz are just great. I've met some of the best friends I've ever had here. -Our office has a beautiful view -PTO is extremely generous and the health benefits are amazing. They even let my partner be on my insurance (we aren't married).

Cons

No cons. We are currently in a temporary office while they build out our permanent office, so I'm just excited to get situated in the new office.

6 people found this review helpful
  6. 4.0
    Former Employee, less than 1 year

I wish they stayed open

Sep 5, 2020 - Learning And Development Specialist in Nashville, TN
    Business Outlook

Pros

Pro's working at Houzz comes with many perks and pros, if you will. They had a fully stocked kitchen, coffee on tap, free health, vision and dental! It was a pretty sweet set up. The training department is amazing. I have never worked for a department that is as hardworking and creative. My direct manager and director invested in me, gave me opportunities and pushed me to do my very best.

Cons

I don't have cons for working there. Some suggestions I have for continued growth are the following: - There is no 401k match - Stock options were only given to sales reps not support

Be the first to find this review helpful

Houzz on Glassdoor

First, thank you for the kind review! As you are aware, due to COVID we were forced to make some adjustments, and that included closing our physical office in Nashville. This was not a decision that was made lightly, as any decision that involves separating from employees is so very difficult. Thank you so much for your contributions and we wish you nothing but the best as you move forward. Ana Harris, Head of People, ana.harris@houzz.com

7. 5.0
    Former Intern, less than 1 year

Merchandising Intern

Aug 29, 2015 - Merchandising Intern in Irvine, CA
    Business Outlook

Pros

Houzz is a great place to intern! Not only are they flexible with scheduling, but its a perfect environment for college students. Some benefits include- free food (A fully stocked kitchen as well as catered meals twice a week), casual business attire, and a fun office environment. Working with both the Sales Planning team and the Operations team is great for any student looking to pursue either sales, or other business related opportunities!

Cons

Its a fast pace company so often work can change quickly- but other than that, its always full of new exciting work!

Be the first to find this review helpful
  8. 5.0
    Current Employee

A Truly Phenomenal and Fulfilling Place to Work!

Jan 29, 2019 - Anonymous Employee in San Diego, CA
    Business Outlook

Pros

I immediately felt at home here and am consistently amazed by the connections I continue to make every day. Houzz has successfully obtained a stellar group of employees and I know many will be lifelong friends. Positive, fun atmosphere- supportive & friendly coworkers and tons of fun activities in the office Catered breakfast on Mondays and lunch on Fridays, along with a fully stocked kitchen Quarterly birthday parties with each person's favorite dessert for everyone to try Random surprises like an espresso bar on National Coffee Day Completely covered health/vision/dental insurance and pet insurance as well Every Wednesday is Workout Wednesday and you can wear your workout gear which is awesome- office attire is already very casual and laid back Monthly Healthy at Houzz events- Past events have been aerial yoga, pilates, barre, krav maga, sparkcycle Multiple patios overlooking Petco Park- beautiful 360 windows all around the office with views of downtown Paid parking right by the office- a big win for DT SD Cold brew, kombucha on tap, nespresso machine This office is almost completely sales so you constantly hear reps cheering on each other's sales and encouraging each other to succeed- there are also lots of incentives and contests on top of the uncapped commission structure In my interview process, I was promised development and I have seen much of that take effect from a very early point. I respect and trust my manager and know he is committed to helping both me and the team succeed Work-life balance is definitely valued as all of the sales team members are hourly and never work more than a 40 hour work week and the salaried team members are also strongly encouraged to only work their 40 hours as well I am so excited to be a part of this company and can't wait to be a part of our many successes to come!

Cons

Frequent desk moves, that is really it

11 people found this review helpful

Houzz on Glassdoor

I’m glad you found your home at Houzz. Thanks for sharing about your experience here in San Diego. This month we’re rolling out additional development courses as part of our BUILD training. I think you’ll be excited to see that too. We’re excited to be part of your success as well! Jenn Meyer, San Diego Regional Sales Manager

9. 3.0
    Former Employee, more than 1 year

Pretty on the outside, ugly on the inside.

Jul 15, 2019 - Customer Service Specialist - Level II in Nashville, TN
    Business Outlook

Pros

- Free food (fully stocked kitchen that's usually picked over, breakfast on Mondays, lunch on Friday's) - 'Fun' work environment - the people you work with are young and lively (there are downsides to this). - Company pays for parking (at Nissan Stadium and you have to shuttle over to UBS... there is also a downside to this) - 'Wellness (i.e. Workout) Wednesday's' - Summer and Winter Party (there's a downside) - Technically proficient office - everyone work's on Mac's (no Windows, no Microsoft Office Suite), dual computer screens, limited use of printers, 'click to call' system (i.e. no dial phones). - You're whole job doesn't rely solely on you - if you go out of town or get sick and are out, other reps are there to support you/ pull the weight. - Wonderful managers - they will be like your family and they do truly care. - 'Task Us' - Overseas call center representatives (pros and cons) significantly lowered the average amount of calls you get per day. - 'Cool' office setting - not that you get to enjoy it, you sit in a cubical all day. - 'Gifts' - Houzz 'gear' (honestly, i'd rather have a raise)

Cons

- You will never grow - sure you might get a "promotion" but 99% of the time its a "lateral move" (i.e. no raise) or you'll get a joke of a raise - Internal positions very rarely come up and if they do, its a vertical move monetary wise. - You will never be compensated for the hard work you do. - Customer service is on the bottom of the totem pole of importance (you will be last to get anything, last to be thought of, last to be cared about, etc.) - they call our floor "the forgotten floor" - This is many people's first job out of college and you can tell - a lot of unprofessionalism, immature whiny attitudes, temper tantrums, etc. - Your PTO is your sick days, so I hope you're a healthy person. - When applying for an internal position, they don't care how qualified you are. All they care about is if you interview well. Great people have been looked over for internal positions and given to people who are garbage at their jobs. - No yearly raises (this may have changed, but I was there for almost 2 years and never got a penny more for my tenure). - New (and lower level) representatives were getting paid more than the reps who have been in the office longer/ higher level - in one case management's "fix" to this problem was to give someone a pay cut. - No security - massive lay-offs (entire departments were required to "re-apply" for their own jobs or leave and take severance. Some didn't have that choice). - You live an die by your bonus stats (average handle time, average customer satisfaction score, "schedule adherence") - Your Quality Assurance team (who checks your calls, reviews your "tickets" and gives you a score based on how they think you did) are under qualified and don't understand what each position does that their scoring for. - "Task Us" - Overseas call center representatives (pros and cons) - to put it lightly, they don't know what they're doing. Examples: Customer spoke to one who informed her that he "doesn't know English". They would keep "tickets" until the customer issue was so escalated that by the time it was transferred to you, it was an absolute mess. Incorrect call transfers (because what customer doesn't love being transferred 20 times). - Higher level management could give two craps about you - they'll "show face" when it doesn't matter (i.e. monthly meetings), but when it does (i.e. employees being laid off), they are nowhere to be found. - Required to take lunches and breaks at specific times or you get penalized - have fun rushing to the bathroom and eating alone. - Management's excuse for any complaint or issue you have is, "well, we are a new company and still figuring things out" - Summer and Winter Party (2-3 drink max - because they like to treat us like children) - Working weekends (not all the time, but you do. They claim everyone works the same amount of weekends a month, but in the beginning that was not true). - You're opinion doesn't matter - your manager will listen to your concerns, but if you are looking for change, trust me it will never happen and management doesn't care what you think. - Don't be fooled by the "fluff" - Houzz thinks by giving you goodies you'll be content enough where you are at and will never want to move up.

17 people found this review helpful

Houzz on Glassdoor

Thanks for sharing your experience. There’s quite a lot here, though first and foremost I want to let you know that our management team is listening and I agree with you that we do have a great group of managers who really care. I’m not sure when you left Houzz, but we’ve recently made some changes to our compensation structure which has been well received by the team. We also have annual performance appraisals and potential for merit increases. We do have entry level roles in Customer Support, and it is also important to note that we provide many opportunities for advancement. For example, 15% of the Customer Support team received a promotion during the first 6 months of 2019 and 80% of the Customer Support Managers were promoted from within. Houzz has a number of great benefits which you listed and our PTO plan is one of them. Having a single pool of PTO hours provides our team members greater flexibility and control of their time off. I must be honest that I disagree with your assessment of the importance of the Customer Support organization - it receives significant attention, focus and resources. We recently made a significant investment in our CRM and knowledge tools that enhance our team members’ ability to provide consistent, great service. I wish that your outcome had been different. Wishing you best of luck in the future. Dale Sahs, Director of Customer Support (dale.sahs@houzz.com)

10. 1.0
    Current Employee, less than 1 year

Stay away

Aug 6, 2018 - Trade Account Manager in Nashville, TN
    Business Outlook

Pros

Fully stocked kitchen and free breakfast on Monday

Cons

No growth, under paid and overworked, a lot of empty promises. Very deceiving in the Nashville office. There was only one person there that I can truly say loved their job and her name is Zoe. Do not work in the trade department. Nothing but a bunch of clueless people who screw up your pay.

14 people found this review helpful
  11. 5.0
    Current Employee

Good First Job

Aug 20, 2019 - Sales Development Representative
    Business Outlook

Pros

Fun place to work, hire young people, fully stocked kitchen

Cons

Only a 30 min break for lunch so you can’t really leave the office

1 person found this review helpful