Houzz Employee Reviews about "fully stocked kitchen"

Updated Jan 20, 2021

Found 95 of over 1K reviews

4.1
Houzz Chief Executive Officer Adi Tatarko
Adi Tatarko
Pros
  • "There is a fully stocked kitchen and fun activities that the have for employees(in 95 reviews)

• "The kitchen was always fully stocked and I had great communication with my manager(in 92 reviews)

• Cons
  • "I might have had a different answer prior to COVID, but I've been super impressed with how upper management has handled the transition from home(in 37 reviews)

• "low pay compares to other companies in the same city(in 20 reviews)

• More Pros and Cons
    Pros & Cons are excerpts from user reviews. They are not authored by Glassdoor.

Reviews about "fully stocked kitchen"

Return to all Reviews
    1. 5.0
      Current Employee, more than 5 years

The people make the place!

Nov 10, 2020 - Marketplace in Irvine, CA
      Business Outlook

Pros

When I joined, Houzz was still in its very early stages and the first few years were explosive. We were in growth mode and pioneers within our industry. With that came the opportunity for quick career growth as new teams and positions became necessary, most notably within the Marketplace department. As of the last few years, I would say that Houzz has entered a more stabilized state. No longer considered a startup, we’ve more or less established our inner structure and departments. Career progression has normalized, with more time to deeply develop within a role. Pros: Very strong female leadership (and leadership in general). Great office perks, PTO, and health benefits. The culture and people are unparalleled. Prior to COVID-19 and work from home, coming into the office meant a fully stocked kitchen, ergonomic desk setup, and the friendly faces of those who, over the years, have become family. Having worked at other corporate companies, something that still strikes me today is how hard Houzzers pull for each others’ success. I feel this support from the top down.

Cons

Historically Houzz has been pretty against remote work, but that may be changing now. Opportunities for career growth at higher levels are less available. Individuals have been spreading themselves pretty thin for well over a year, but with COVID-19 that has been greatly exacerbated.

Houzz on Glassdoor

Thank you for sharing this! You’ve seen so much in your time with Houzz, and your perspective is greatly appreciated. I completely agree that the people at Houzz are the number one thing that make it such a special place, and in particular I appreciate your call out of our leadership team with such strong female representation. COVID-19 certainly required a shift in thinking and accommodation for working from home, and our teams have been incredible in adapting to this new paradigm. It is very likely that we will see continued creativity and flexibility in office and remote work moving forward as a result. Lastly, if you think there is more we can be doing to better support Houzzers in finding balance, I’d love to hear your feedback - I know the team works incredibly hard and their wellbeing is important to me. If you have more to share, please reach out any time! Lisa Rambo, Vice President of Marketplace Operations (lisa.rambo@houzz.com)

2. 5.0
      Current Employee, more than 3 years

We are a family

Sep 21, 2020 - Sales Manager
      Business Outlook

Pros

I would say the vast majority of the employees at Houzz would agree with me that one of the best parts about working for Houzz is the PEOPLE. I have met some of the most hardworking, caring, intelligent, and passionate individuals at Houzz...many who I would consider to be life long friends. Houzz is also extremely innovative, we care about providing the best technology for our customers and are constantly leading the charge in our industry which is exciting...there's never a dull moment when it comes to product updates (this could be a challenge for some - see cons section). We have a leadership team that truly cares and values their customers - both internal (employees) and external (website users) and they demonstrate this through transparent communication, great perks/contests, quality training programs and conditioned education, and more. As our world has changed and offices are now WFH, many employees have missed some of the perks of working in a Houzz office ( beautiful office space, catered lunch, stocked kitchen, celebrating wins with co-workers, etc.), however, the reality is that you don't work for a company just for the perks (which there are still plenty in a remote environment!), you work for a company because you believe in the product, enjoy the people you work with, and you feel connected to the heartbeat of the mission...and for me, there has never been a shortage of that!

Cons

Houzz is a very innovative tech company, constantly updating product and streamlining systems/processes, which requires a high level of adaptability from employees. To me, this is absolutely a pro, but for anyone who doesn't prefer a fast-paced environment it could be seen or experienced as a con.

1 person found this review helpful

Houzz on Glassdoor

Thank you for this! I 100% agree with you that the best part of Houzz is the people. I feel very lucky to be surrounded by such amazing colleagues. I also agree with you that we can innovate quickly to improve our product and processes to help set up both our own teams and the communities we serve for success in business. If you have feedback on how we can do better in this area, please feel free to shoot me an email! Joey Nalevka, VP of Sales (joey.nalevka@houzz.com)

3. 3.0
      Former Employee, more than 1 year

Pros and Cons of Houzz

Dec 7, 2020 - Senior Sales Executive in Irvine, CA
      Business Outlook

Pros

Before Covid a very fun place to work with alot of perks. Stocked kitchen of food, good coffee and amazing catered lunches on fridays. Sadly those days are over with Covid and I don't think it will ever go back to the way it was. Very good insurance.

Cons

Low salary for Orange County, commisions are very up and down depending on the economy. If you crush goal you can make solid money but if you don't like right now its pitiful pay. sine the pay is low and the perks are zero now that everyone is working from home they have lost half of their sales force to better paying companies. Shares are passed out if you promote only, not if you hit goal or work there for years. ESU Shares only have value after years of vesting and they are only worth something if Houzz goes public which isn't happening anytime soon.

Houzz on Glassdoor

Thank you for your comments. I miss the perks of being in our office too, especially being face to face with our amazing sales teams. Unfortunately, office life did have to take a backseat with the events of this year, though our teams have been outstanding in maintaining sales and our culture while working from home. I am blown away by our amazing team every day. I hear you on the impact that external economic forces can have in a sales career, and we have been lucky that the home improvement industry as a whole has done so incredibly well during the pandemic. I’m sorry your experience did not end more positively, but I wish you the best in your current role. Joey Nalevka, VP of Sales (joey.nalevka@houzz.com)

4. 2.0
      Current Employee, more than 1 year

I ignored the bad reviews..

Dec 2, 2020 - Sales Development Representative (SDR) in Phoenix, AZ
      Business Outlook

Pros

when in office: breakfast on mondays and lunch on Fridays (provided) fully stocked kitchen (pro and cons since it wasn't sanitary--100 people and one kitchen can only handle so much) excellent benefits (PTO/paid sick leave/maternity leave/WFH reimbursement)

Cons

micromanaging, favoritism, managers are not open to feedback or open discussion, 'i'm the manager, we are doing it this way because I said so' energy

5. 4.0
      Former Employee, less than 1 year

Houzz Makes Office Life Fun!

Jan 20, 2021 - Sales Representative in Nashville, TN
      Business Outlook

Pros

Fully stocked kitchen, amazing office, catered breakfast every Monday and lunch every Friday, awesome new hire orientation and training, office celebrations for every single holiday, management is super supportive.

Cons

The only con is, since Houzz is an online company, you occasionally have to work on weekends and holidays to meet business needs. However, management spreads these days out well by taking surveys of which days everybody would prefer to work. Also, salary isn't the highest but it is decent for recent college grads.

Be the first to find this review helpful

Houzz on Glassdoor

Thank you for sharing your experience! Our new hire training has been a huge priority for us, so it is great to see it called out here. We want to provide the tools necessary for success to everyone that joins Houzz, and the ongoing leadership training offered is also meant to help our managers effectively lead their teams. It sounds like it is working! If you would like to share more about your time with us and how we can do better, please reach out! Peter Hoyt, Regional Sales Manager, (peter.hoyt@houzz.com)

6. 2.0

Less than ideal.

Jan 14, 2020 - Sales Development Representative in Nashville, TN
      Business Outlook

Pros

They have a fully stocked kitchen, and good benefits. The people there are the best part of the job, and the direct management team, as in direct sales managers were great.

Cons

To begin, I have never felt more expendable than I did with this job. Upper management, as in management anywhere above the regional manager, is completely out of touch with the Nashville office, more specifically the SDRs. No matter how well you do, or how far above goal you are, it’s never enough. They lie to you during the interview process. Many of us were told it was a salary job with capless commission. It is not salary, and once you start the job you realize that you don’t get any commission unless you get promoted to an AE. Essentially as an SDR you don’t feel like the company sees any value in what you bring to the table. They just had a mass lay off of SDRs, and this is the second mass lay off they have had within the last year. If you want any sense of job security, stay far, far away from Houzz. Also any positive review you see about Houzz, I can guarantee is someone from the management team or recruiting.

6 people found this review helpful

Houzz on Glassdoor

First, let me say how sorry I am that you felt the way that you did. That is not how I want anyone to feel on my team or at Houzz. Second, we take compensation transparency very seriously and make sure it is listed on the offer letter and clearly communicated. If this was not the case with you, please do reach out to me directly so that I can understand what happened and ensure it doesn’t happen again. I believe in our Sales Development Rep (SDR) role as a wonderful entry point into Houzz to start a career as a sales professional and will continue to hire for this role. As the leader of the sales channel, it’s my job is to ensure that our business is set up for success, which means that we are organized in a way that best serves our customers, our employees, and drives results for the business. As part of this, I’m constantly evaluating performance across our global sales offices and wide range of departments. I believe in the Nashville office and in what our Nashville team can achieve. Our Account Executive team has doubled in size, and we are hiring. While I wish your experience with us had been better, I am really happy to read your feedback on our managers, who I agree are among the best out there. Thank you for your contributions to Houzz, I wish you the best on your next chapter. Joey Nalevka, VP of Sales (joey.nalevka@houzz.com)

7. 1.0
      Former Employee, more than 1 year

Stay away.

Mar 16, 2020 - Sales Development Representative in Nashville, TN
      Business Outlook

Pros

-Lunch on Friday -Fully Stocked Kitchen -Benefits start day one

Cons

Well I don't have to say much because all the reviews have said it for me. Take them all into deep consideration while researching Houzz as they are spot on!! I'll try to keep it short, I don't want to take up too much of my time. Houzz has done me and others wrong in so many twisted and different ways. I started to lose hope and think all sales jobs were like that until I got laid off at Houzz, along with many others, and started working elsewhere, with better pay and commission. Did I mention as an SDR at Houzz you don't get paid commission? Which is in itself absurd. Most of the times, they have given me a little treat (a mini sample size of candy/chocolate for an appointment I've set.) The pay isn't the only thing that's terrible, the undignified treatment, the constant changing of goals, and the micromanagement make it extremely difficult to succeed. Managers will literally sit behind you in a rolling desk and watch over your shoulder for no reason and scold you like high school teachers if you talk for a little bit with your team mates. I can assure you this is not normal and not how it should be. Management has a superiority complex and likes to talk about "transparency" all the time, but don't practice it at all. It's all fake rainbows and sunshine. Beware.

6 people found this review helpful

Houzz on Glassdoor

Thanks for the feedback. Our Sales Development Rep (SDR) role is a great entry point into Houzz to start a career as a sales professional, which I understand is not for everyone. Changes that involve people are never easy and we do our best to support employees through any transition. I wish you all the best on your next chapter. Peter Hoyt, Regional Sales Manager, Nashville (peter.hoyt@houzz.com)

8. 4.0

I wish they stayed open

Sep 5, 2020 - Learning and Development Specialist in Nashville, TN
      Business Outlook

Pros

Pro's working at Houzz comes with many perks and pros, if you will. They had a fully stocked kitchen, coffee on tap, free health, vision and dental! It was a pretty sweet set up. The training department is amazing. I have never worked for a department that is as hardworking and creative. My direct manager and director invested in me, gave me opportunities and pushed me to do my very best.

Cons

I don't have cons for working there. Some suggestions I have for continued growth are the following: - There is no 401k match - Stock options were only given to sales reps not support

Be the first to find this review helpful

Houzz on Glassdoor

First, thank you for the kind review! As you are aware, due to COVID we were forced to make some adjustments, and that included closing our physical office in Nashville. This was not a decision that was made lightly, as any decision that involves separating from employees is so very difficult. Thank you so much for your contributions and we wish you nothing but the best as you move forward. Ana Harris, Head of People, ana.harris@houzz.com

9. 5.0
      Current Employee, less than 1 year

Happy New-Hire

Jun 22, 2019 - Account Executive in San Diego, CA
      Business Outlook

Pros

Fully stocked kitchen Office Culture Work/Life Balance Benefits Catered breakfasts, lunches, and treats

Cons

401K-match - but I think that will change when Houzz goes public.

5 people found this review helpful
    10. 2.0
      Former Employee, more than 3 years

Time To Get Out, Not In

Apr 18, 2019 - Anonymous Employee in Irvine, CA
      Business Outlook

Pros

Stocked kitchen, great medical benefits, pretty good maternity/paternity leave policy, and typically surrounded by nice, fun coworkers. Pretty good PTO plan (although many people were told unlimited PTO was a cornerstone of the company, only to find out this was not true once they accepted their role).

Cons

I worked at Houzz for more than four years, in multiple roles across different departments in the company. I started my career at Houzz completely enthralled by the website, its vision, the company culture, and what I saw as a huge opportunity for career growth. My naiveté was shattered pretty quickly, as I started to get into the actual job. Houzz has great promises, but ultimately cannot keep them. Management's organization and long term plans seems to not exist. Goals (and compensation) shift almost quarterly, communication from upper management is minimal, and the focus of the company changes regularly. Additionally, while "We are a family" is a tagline that Houzz likes to employ, employees are treated more like Cinderella was treated by her step-family. Many employees who were in at Houzz at the right time were promoted quickly, and allowed to coast there without growing, leading, or innovating. Their main purpose seems to be to cheer on Houzz, talk about how incredibly we're doing (while results do not support that), and leave disingenuous reviews online to combat the realistic ones. At the same time many hardworking employees are taken advantage of, told that if you just are willing to work hard at Houzz you can succeed, and then are treated as expendable when the whim of upper management changes and we need to "refocus".

23 people found this review helpful

Houzz on Glassdoor

First, thank you for taking a moment to provide feedback. It looks like you were with us for quite some time, and I’m sorry that time did not end more positively for you. I am glad to see some large pros listed, despite that. I do want to mention that we have put several programs in place to help with employee development, including an extensive training program for new hires, leadership training, and annual reviews focusing on employee growth. Additionally, in the last year we have put in more stable commission plans, and have invested resources and time into improving communication to all our employees. It sounds like your perspective is that these efforts aren’t bearing fruit, so I’d appreciate feedback on how we can do better. Please feel free to get in touch anytime. Joey Nalevka, VP of Industry Solutions (joey.nalevka@houzz.com)

Viewing 1 - 10 of 95 Reviews