Cover image for Houzz
Logo

Engaged Employer

Add a Review

Houzz Employee Reviews about "upper management"

Updated Sep 2, 2021

77 Comments

Tech

632.6K Members

Ask candid career questions

-1 - https://www.fishbowlapp.com/bowl/technology/posts?cf=gd&utm_medium=Glassdoor&utm_source=glassdoor.com&utm_campaign=Reviews&utm_content=Industry-content-prominent-Reviews&utm_term=Houzz~716331
Join the conversation on

Got a burning question about Houzz? Just ask!

On Fishbowl, you can share insights and advice anonymously with Houzz employees and get real answers from people on the inside.

What's Fishbowl
Ask a Question

Top Review Highlights by Sentiment

Pros
  • "The best part about this job is that you work with some truly great people.(in 147 reviews)
  • "Houzz has a great culture and values that many at the company truly believe in(in 97 reviews)
  • "Great benefits and always new oppurtunities for promotions.(in 76 reviews)
  • "Beautiful office in downtown San Diego(in 61 reviews)
  • "Like many people said below really great team with supportive colleagues.(in 60 reviews)
Cons
Pros & Cons are excerpts from user reviews. They are not authored by Glassdoor.

Ratings by Demographics

This rating reflects the overall rating of Houzz and is not affected by filters.

Want more demographic options?

Reviews about "upper management"

Return to all Reviews
  1. 1.0
    Former Employee, more than 3 years

Your Everyday Corporation

Jan 15, 2020 - Anonymous Employee in Irvine, CA
    Business Outlook

Pros

- I met some of the most amazing people I have ever known. Houzz does a great job at hiring intelligent, friendly, and like-minded people (only to kick them to the curb later, but I digress). - In my position, I believe I was fairly paid. I do think many positions are underpaid, but luckily my former role allowed me to earn a what is necessary to live in Orange County. - Always felt respected and cared for by my direct team leads and managers. - Stocked kitchen, you won't go hungry. - Friday lunches, holiday parties, and team bonding events were well-planned and enjoyable.

Cons

- No room for upward mobility. Career growth is a pipe-dream at this company. - Zero transparency. Massive decisions are made for the company with no communication. Sometimes, we were not even told of changes to software, policies, etc. ahead of time and would only know once we ran into an issue. - False promises left and right from upper management. - Upper management (by this, I mean people you most likely will never talk to or hardly see in your whole time working here) do not care about you in the slightest. I truly mean, not at all. Do not think in the long run this company cares about anything you have to say or you even you having a job. To continue on my last point, the true kicker is going to work every day and hearing 'we are a family' from upper management non-stop. Sweetie, this is not the Brady Bunch. If I could compare this to any family, it would be the family from the movie 'Hereditary'. Why you may ask? Simply because they had no problem cutting off the heads of almost every employee. I state this figuratively, but they were the pole and I was the Charlie sticking my darn head out the window. If you have not seen the movie that will make no sense. To explain it better, hundreds of us gave Houzz all of our energy, our sanity, and years of our lives to be laid off with no reasoning or explanation. This is common in many corporations, but I find that Houzz tries to pride themselves on being different. Houzz is no different than any other corporation and you are only a cog in the machine. If you are looking to be treated well in the long run and grow in your career, please do not apply.

7 people found this review helpful

Houzz on Glassdoor

Thank you for taking the time to share your feedback. I’m glad to read the pros you listed here, especially how you felt treated by your team leads and managers. I agree that we have amazing people at Houzz. I’m sorry to read that what looked to have been a pretty positive experience in many areas did not end more positively for you. Changes that involve people are never easy and we do our best to support employees through any transition. I truly wish the best for you in your next chapter. Ana Harris-Padley, Head of People (ana.harris@houzz.com)

2. 2.0
    Current Employee, more than 1 year

A Genuinely Honest Review of Houzz

Mar 20, 2017 - Anonymous Employee in Irvine, CA
    Business Outlook

Pros

Working at Houzz definitely has some upsides to it. The atmosphere and the people around you are what make working at Houzz somewhat enjoyable. The office is filled with exceptionally smart, young, and talented employees. The fully stocked kitchen as well as catered breakfast Monday’s and lunch Friday’s are always nice. It is a great first job right after college, but only for a few months.

Cons

It looks fantastic from the outside, but just wait until you get it in. Employees are promoted internally to management positions, which can be great in some cases, and disastrous in others. Just because an employee has been able to hit a quota does not mean they should be able to run a team. In some cases, managers are completely clueless about their position and only act as a support coach and cheerleader. The office is ran by two people who have complete control over everything. These two people have so much work on their plate that approval for anything can take multiple months. The word transparency does not exist at Houzz. Upper management is always working on something much different than the employees underneath them. Instead of keeping them informed, employees will find out about a big project by reading it in the news or hearing it through office gossip. Be prepared to have your compensation plan changed on a monthly basis. Upper management is always trying to find a way to increase your goals while decreasing your commission. Notice how all the five star reviews are almost identical? Am I the only one that thinks it’s a bit unsettling that management will post these reviews without actually addressing any concers in the office? I’m sure there will be another one following this, so just be prepared.

34 people found this review helpful
  3. Join the Houzz team
    See Our Latest Jobs
  4. 2.0
    Former Employee, more than 3 years

Structural problems and uncompetitive pay

May 7, 2021 - Marketing in Irvine, CA
    Business Outlook

Pros

Great people and great middle managers Culture was great pre-pandemic Amazing health insurance Learned a ton from different projects and great mentors I got good pay raises for a few years before it plateaued Ivy acquisition was a strong business move

Cons

Houzz has poor project planning and doesn't listen to the expertise of even their director level hires. Things moved too fast where new ideas would come up and people would work crazy hours to get things in motion instead of scheduling new initiatives for a few weeks out. The upper management often ignores data and they'll make decisions that are contrary to what customers and potential customers have said that they want. Houzz was unwilling to invest in external pro marketing for years and it impacted them in terms of SEO and a slowdown in warm leads - initiatives that my former manager proposed in 2017 didn't get up and running until 2021. Houzz tries to operate on too lean of a team, meaning that often you are the only person that can do your job which makes it nearly impossible to take like a week off any time that isn't around the winter holidays, so it can be hard to travel. Layoffs every year. I got really good at saving my money because you can never feel safe about your job. There was definitely a divide too between the older managers who earned enough to own homes and renovate and younger renters who couldn't afford to participate in the renovation industry and I always felt a little embarrassed to just live in an apartment. My last pay raise was may 2019 and in 2020 they only gave us RSUs. But RSUs can't help me pay my bills today. When they were finally hiring another person for my team with the same title, the pay ranged from $2500-$12500 more than what I made and they were willing to hire someone remote who lives in a lower cost of living area than Orange county. Also the UK team members got way more maternity leave than US team members which always felt like a point of jealousy even though I never went on mat leave myself, and they would get temp workers to fill the gap because they are gone for up to a year but that didn't happen in the US They talked about career pathing in 2017 but it must not have applied to marketing because my manager had no idea what it was when I asked about it, and when I left in 2021 the leveling for marketing was still in the works after being revisited in late 2020.

7 people found this review helpful

Houzz on Glassdoor

Thank you for sharing. I’m sorry to read that your overall experience was not more positive, though you have listed some incredibly strong pros here as well, which I appreciate. Things definitely move quickly at Houzz, and our teams are incredibly scrappy, iterating on new ideas to make an impact, and as with most startups, prioritizing different initiatives with available resources can mean some tough choices. Those decisions that impact our people are never made easily or lightly, and have thankfully been quite limited. To address the maternity leave comment, Houzz offers leave competitive with other US companies. As an international company, we also follow international regulations where our offices are located for our international employees - some of those countries do specify different requirements for a variety of situations, including parental leave. If you are comfortable talking more in depth about your time with us and how we can do better, please reach out. Feedback like this is always appreciated so we can continually improve the experience for current and future Houzzers. Ana Harris-Padley, VP People, (ana.harris@houzz.com)

5. 1.0
    Current Employee, more than 5 years

Houzz as a whole & at its core....problems are company wide & start at the top

Jun 24, 2019 - Anonymous Employee in Palo Alto, CA
    Business Outlook

Pros

The best thing at Houzz is definitely the people I’ve gotten to know and work with. One of the few things they started out doing right is that they hired really great, smart people on the front lines. These people have not only become life long friends, but have been the support and the reason to continue to stay so long, and put up with the daily mishaps that come from the CEO and upper management’s poor decision making and leadership. The other great part about the people, is that an increasing amount of employees have reached their breaking point, realizing that Houzz will continue to make the same poor decisions that negatively impact their employees/morale, and have left to better companies and opportunities. They then become great references for you to join them. So many people at Houzz have jumped ship to amazing neighboring companies together. Salesforce did a huge sweep a few years back, then Amazon, and now many are leaving for WeWork. You’ll bond over the Houzz dysfunction together, and help each other get out.

Cons

To preface, I have been at Houzz for 5 years, and have experienced extensive time working on different revenue channels and with plenty of teams at the company. In these 5 years, I’ve learned that the same frustrations and problems run company wide, no matter what team you’re on, and it is because it all starts at the top with the CEO. Some blame gets improperly placed on middle management, because employees don’t realize that middle management’s hands are tied, as it is the CEO who is not willing to make the needed changes. The “needed changes” I’m referring to are anything ranging from proper salaries (most teams are ridiculously underpaid, but people take jobs to pay their dues or get experience in a new role, and later realize that they won’t be rewarded with a raise, and then leave)….to leadership problems (lots of managers are completely checked out, take advantage of the seniority by coming in late and leaving early, and don’t support their teams) ...to company strategy changing literally every quarter. The ever changing strategy is probably the most frustrating, as teams will have their comp plans, tasks, and work load constantly change. You’re also put in an awkward position with the home professionals, vendors, sellers, etc. you work with, because you hard sell them on the growth and opportunity of a strategy, and then look like a fool when that strategy is no longer in play after a few months. Job security also becomes a worry as you constantly wonder if your job is relevant in the next strategy. Several teams have gone through huge layoffs (almost 200 people total in the past year) due to strategies changing. More and more people, especially those who have been there 3, 4, 5 years or more, have finally reached their limits and left. My advice to any experienced, worthy professional who is considering working at Houzz at the company's current stage, is to look elsewhere. First of all, Houzz is incredibly cheap, and you likely won’t get what you could get at another tech company. So many of those veterans who have left, have been getting significant salary increases to do the same job they have been doing at Houzz. Most open executive or senior level positions have been unsuccessfully filled for almost a year, most likely because the offers are so terrible and can’t compete. The standard excuse upper management communicates is that they cannot find someone who fits with the “Houzz culture”. Just so you know, the “Houzz culture” that is so often referred to, is basically being willing to be taken advantage of. Sometimes Houzz will miraculously score a great outside senior hire, because they promise them growth and opportunity. Those people quickly experience regret once they realize how empty that promise is, and how the executives are in over their head and don’t know how to make the right calls. Not only that, but they’ll realize how much they’ll be micromanaged. The smallest, most ridiculous things require approval from the CEO. Literally, there was one point where requests for business cards needed to be approved by the CEO. Also…PSA: Houzz has a strict NO working from home policy. They supposedly are looking into starting a policy (after years of extensive employee complaints…and yes, I really mean years because that’s how much it takes for the CEO to give in to what employees want) but the policy is going to start out as 2 work from home days a QUARTER. If you’re not an entry level applicant, chances are, Houzz won’t be the best place for you long term. Aside from the poor business aspects of the company, it’s important to know that the company is a total fraud when it comes to personal company values they pretend to be in line with. Different publications have praised the CEO for being an immigrant and female CEO, and therefore an advocate for women in business, diversity, etc. That image couldn’t be more of a joke. On the women in business aspect, aside from the CEO, there are no women on the board of directors. There are only a couple women holding VP titles. International is even worse where there was only 1 female country director among the 7 male country directors for many years. The pay discrepancies between men and women are so sad and embarrassing...there has been knowledge about some male employees earning more than their female managers. Worst of all, one of their main former male executives remained at his position for over 5 YEARS, despite his long and well known reputation of sexual indiscretions in the workplace throughout his entire tenure. I recommend any doubters to ask former and current Houzzers about this. Where there is that much smoke, there is probably a forest fire…and to me, the CEO is a total disgrace for allowing it to continue for so long. In regards to diversity or inclusion, the company makes little to no effort to celebrate or support those things. Black history month was never acknowledged in past years…this year, they last minute acknowledged it on the very last day of the month. Pride month is also not really celebrated. Last year, they gave out shirts with a rainbow colored Houzz logo, but never outwardly associated it with pride. Sorry, but if you’re gonna support something, support it all the way. It’s so crazy to see so many companies and CEOs take public stands against the different human rights issues going on today by making public donations or supporting on social media. Houzz and their CEO on the other hand, remain silent. They try to run with the other tech companies who actually take REAL stands for or against political issues, but realistically, they choose to remain silent because they are more concerned with their image and money. The “we are a family” core value is constantly mocked by everyone at the company.

37 people found this review helpful

Houzz on Glassdoor

I’m sorry to read that you feel your experience has been such a poor one. I do want to address a couple of points you have included. We move quickly, and while there is a lot of information we share during our company and channel meetings and across teams globally, it can be frustrating to not always immediately understand the “why” and we are working on that. To address some of your concerns, we have instituted an annual review process across all of our offices that may include compensation increases as well as career pathing help to build the strong leaders we need from within. As for work from home, we strongly believe -- and have always said -- that the best collaboration happens when people are together, and collaboration has always been an important part of our culture. We have also always said that we understand things happen in life outside of work, and are flexible on this front -- all we ask is that people inform their managers. While we continue to explore our policy here, there simply are some functions that require people to be in the office. We are extremely proud to say our workplace stands out among our peers as among the most gender balanced in tech. As you may or may not be aware, Houzz has well over 50 percent female employees worldwide, represented in all levels of management - from our aforementioned CEO to nearly half of our VPs, and senior leaders in all areas of our organization. International leaders across many functions from editorial to finance to people services -- and countries, which you mention -- are women. We continue to support our women leaders by making it clear that they are seen and celebrated. On a final note, it is disappointing to read that our company celebrations around diversity at Houzz have not resonated with you. Could we do more? Yes! And we’re working on it. We believe these efforts are important and they will continue. Sam Veazey, VP Finance, (sam@houzz.com)

6. 3.0
    Former Employee

People are amazing/ Upper management is horrible

Jan 17, 2020 - SDR in Nashville, TN
    Business Outlook

Pros

The people on my team and my manager were the most encouraging and supportive people that I have met throughout the company. There is a fully stocked kitchen and fun activities that the have for employees

Cons

The job can get really repetative. A whole bunch of us were laid off, and the way that it was done was in the most unprofessional manner. It was so unpersonal and without any real good reason why. This was super disappointing since most of us just started working in end of September, early October. We weren't even given the chance to really show upper management what we were capable of. The salary is way too low for how much work we were doing. It was very large let down and I am happy I do not work for a company like this anymore

6 people found this review helpful

Houzz on Glassdoor

Thank you for sharing your feedback. I am so glad to hear your experience with your team and manager, as we want people to feel supported and encouraged. Our Sales Development Rep (SDR) role is a starting point for a career as a sales professional at Houzz and I am truly sorry that it did not work out for you. Thank you for contributing to our team. I wish you the best on your next chapter. Peter Hoyt, Regional Sales Manager, Nashville (peter.hoyt@houzz.com)

7. 3.0
    Former Employee

Employee for 2+ Years

Feb 4, 2022 - Anonymous Employee
    Business Outlook

Pros

- Culture - Resources for help - PTO & Benefits

Cons

- Lack of Communication between Upper Management and Sales Floor - Lack of legitimate leads - Recycled leads - No clear vision on goals - Constant change of systems we use

Be the first to find this review helpful

Houzz on Glassdoor

Thank you for the feedback. I am glad to see the Houzz culture, resources and benefits made an impact for you, though I wish your overall experience had been more positive. I appreciate your feedback on the leads. I see that you are a former employee and are no longer here, but we have put many actions in place to dramatically improve the quantity and quality of opportunity for our AEs and have received really positive feedback. I would like to learn more about your time with us, if you are comfortable sharing more specifics. Please reach out to me. Joey Nalevka, SVP Sales and Operations (joey.nalevka@houzz.com)

8. 2.0
    Former Employee, more than 1 year

Best people ever, pretty much the worst company ever

Dec 4, 2018 - E-commerce Sales Representative in Nashville, TN
    Business Outlook

Pros

AMAZING coworkers and great office and office perks

Cons

Upper management hands down initiatives with no prep to either employees or our direct managers. I personally watched them over hire for three departments (including my own) and then slash wages or layoff people. Job satisfaction and morale get super low because nobody feels in the loop or like there is any real plan for the company.

20 people found this review helpful
  9. 2.0
    Current Employee, more than 3 years

Not what it used to be

Mar 12, 2018 - Client Success Manager, Prev Account Executive in Irvine, CA
    Business Outlook

Pros

The friends I’ve made are incredible (tho most have quit by now). Stocked fridge, flexible hours, great benefits (medical, dental)

Cons

Recently restructured everyone’s compensation and even top performers are struggling to make any money. I used to make so much money and loved that I worked at such an employee-centered company but you can tell there’s been a shift and all upper management cares about is the bottom line. People are quitting left and right and finding other sales jobs. The company has lost so much talent and doesn’t seem to care in the slightest. Not transparent at all with how stock options are distributed. Seems to be no rhyme or reason to why some people have more or less or how long it takes to vest.

17 people found this review helpful

Houzz on Glassdoor

I appreciate you taking the time to write this review and for your feedback regarding compensation and the reorganization of some of our sales roles. We take great pride in our team and it is important to us to take care of them as best we can. We would be happy to speak with you regarding any specific feedback you would like to share and encourage you to set up some time with your manager and/or senior leader to discuss more in depth. I also welcome you to reach out to People Services or your leadership team with any questions about your compensation plan or stock options. Thank you again for your feedback. Renee Ross, Director of Sales (renee.ross@houzz.com)

10. 2.0
    Current Employee, more than 1 year

Brilliant Business - Poor Culture

Dec 4, 2015 - AMPD in Irvine, CA
    Business Outlook

Pros

- Houzz Employees – Nothing but great things to say! You’re surrounded by talented, respectful, smart, and fun people. - The Product – It works! It’s very rewarding selling a product to a business and seeing that business grow. - Kitchen – It’s in every review..it’s free and fully stocked. But, all the free food in the world won’t make up for the Con’s of working for this company. - Benefits - Excellent! Better than any previous employer.

Cons

- Culture – Yes, we still celebrate birthdays and baby's monthly. We still have a Holiday party and company picnic. But sadly, the culture and environment have changed for the worse. - PTO – 15 days, which is decent. The downsides - #1 Taking more than 1-2 days off in a week will actually hurt you because of the way accounts are distributed. #2 - Expect to use PTO if you leave an hour early to pick up children from school, have a doctor appointment, etc. #3 Of course you get Holiday's off, but they also encourage you to work through them. - Compensation – Making good money isn’t sustainable. You won’t make enough to live comfortably in Orange County…. unless you have roommates or live with parents. If you’re 20-something, this is a great 1st or 2nd job. If you have sales experience and are looking for career growth/high earning potential, I wouldn’t recommend this. - Incentives - In the past, there were a few per year. Now they happen multiple times per week. You'd think it was motivating, but I'd rather have a better compensation plan, or higher base. - Upper Management - Poor communication from upper management (which is really only 1 person in the Irvine office) and lacks leadership qualities. There has been a tremendous amount of growth (which was expected) and it seems like management makes quick/rash decisions, which negatively impacts the culture. When I started with Houzz, I thought it would be a long-term career. I’m now seriously considering leaving.

38 people found this review helpful
  11. 1.0
    Former Employee, more than 1 year

Overpromise Underdeliver

Oct 5, 2019 - Senior Account Executive in Irvine, CA
    Business Outlook

Pros

Some people are great The peripheral stuff: free food, coffee, catered breakfast on Monday, catered lunch on Friday, casual dress code, workout Wednesdays, can leave at 3pm, they got that good ice.

Cons

Over promise under deliver, it’s the same whether you’re an employee or an advertiser. There’s no accountability from upper management who brought in a team of senior account executives promising the world. Most of these people have left, and there were some really talented salespeople among the group. Despite the failure of this no one at the top is held accountable, yet these talented people were. Half of the floor is on blueprint(performance plan) and like 20% of the floor actually hits their quarterly quota. They even had to lower quotas by 25-33% to try to create a winning culture. What growth company lowers goals? They’re hiring a ton and might as well turn the doors into those revolving ones like hotels have. The churn among AEs is absurdly high, management doesn’t seem to care about this, but hey “We’re a Family.” They give you the leads, which sounds great until you realize they’re terribly vetted. A total crapshoot unless you the top performer who spends her time hanging around the sales planning team. Sales planning is useless, leads come in from profiles created on Houzz which can include accident lawyers or escorts, it’s not hard to vet this garbage. Have fun making 100 dials/day to the same 400 prospects. They want one call closes so bad and offer same day incentives for signing right now by negotiating prices down just to sign up a pro, not holding any value to the product. Once a pro gets off that call and does research of their own they won’t take another call from a Houzz rep. Basically shut down the co-op program, which should really be a focus to bring in growth of national brands and help small businesses launch their online exposure. Product is terrible, It won’t work for the majority of pros. The reason most renew is because they’re auto-renewed without notice for another 12 month term, without an early termination clause now. This isn’t really communicated on the front end and they most likely aren’t reading the fine print on their contract. Check out the BBB reviews, these reviews paint a really good picture of the pros experience. CEO is uninspiring, gives the same quarterly speech to show what she thinks is transparency. They’re conflicted trying to IPO, focus only on bringing new pros into a saturated platform without growing the actual user base who will bring business to those paying pros. Their revenue is based on selling marketing but they can’t effectively market their own company. When have you seen or heard a commercial for Houzz? I’m sure you’ve heard them for Home Advisor or Angie’s List. I mean, for a growing company you’ve been touting 40million users for over 2 years, where the homeowner growth???

23 people found this review helpful

Houzz on Glassdoor

There’s a lot to unpack here, so I will focus on a few points. I’m glad to see some very strong pros listed, despite what sounds like a disappointing experience. In terms of our sales leadership, we’ve invested a great deal in new training over the last couple years to help grow strong managers and provide them the tools to help their teams succeed, and we are seeing great results. Our goals now also take seasonality into account, which is likely responsible for the adjustments you noted here. We do believe in creating a winning culture with our sales teams with realistic and achievable goals, and working with seasonality is part of that. Communication can be challenging within a company that has grown as fast as Houzz, and we continue to work on ways to make sure people understand the product and what other teams are involved in - including ongoing large brand advertising initiatives, that it sounds like you may not have been aware of. That’s on us! I do appreciate the feedback, and if you are comfortable talking one-on-one, please do reach out. I would love to hear more about your personal experience with us. Joey Nalevka, VP of Sales (joey.nalevka@houzz.com)

Viewing 1 - 10 of 75 Reviews