Houzz Employee Reviews about "upper management"

Updated Dec 30, 2020

Found 37 of over 1K reviews

4.1
Houzz Chief Executive Officer Adi Tatarko
Adi Tatarko
Pros
  • "There is a fully stocked kitchen and fun activities that the have for employees(in 95 reviews)

• "The kitchen was always fully stocked and I had great communication with my manager(in 92 reviews)

• Cons
  • "I might have had a different answer prior to COVID, but I've been super impressed with how upper management has handled the transition from home(in 37 reviews)

• "low pay compares to other companies in the same city(in 20 reviews)

• More Pros and Cons
    Pros & Cons are excerpts from user reviews. They are not authored by Glassdoor.

Reviews about "upper management"

Return to all Reviews
    1. 5.0
      Current Employee, more than 5 years

Proud to Work Here

Apr 23, 2020 - Anonymous Employee
      Business Outlook

Pros

As it has been said time and time again, the people at Houzz are truly a joy to work with everyday. I am consistently surprised by the amount of talented, driven, innovative, supportive, and intelligent people that I am surrounded by. Just like in any company, people can become overly critical of their leaders and others in general. Reading some of the reviews written on here are surprising, but I think a lot of it comes from the fact that individuals fail to put themselves in other's shoes and lack empathy. Just because someone higher up than you makes a decision that you disagree with, it doesn't mean they don't care about you/only care about the money. A lot of this comes from a lack of maturity, but people will learn over time. I'm actually very impressed with how the company has handled the COVID-19 situation. While some may be critical of the length of time it took for the entire company to go into a full work from home mode, I honestly think the company was doing the best they could. It's not as if Houzz saw this coming, this entire situation is so out of left field. They scrambled as quick as possible to scale everything, so I appreciate that. I can only imagine how much of a logistical nightmare that was. This week was obviously very tough for the company, as they had to lay off the largest number of Houzzers at once that I've ever seen. I have been fortunate enough to have worked in several departments, so I have various connections/friends and it is sad yet also encouraging to see how this week's layoffs have affected people. It is amazing to see the level of empathy that my peers have had for our friends that were let go, and I think that speaks to the family culture we have all helped build over the years. It is truly heartbreaking to see my friends who have also been here for 5, 6, 7, years be forced to go, and people are shocked/sad/upset, but everyone understands this was unavoidable. It's not as if we are the only company dealing with circumstances out of our control. I am especially proud of how the leaders of our company handled this situation...things were well communicated, people were met with privately when told it was their last day, and people are being given generous packages. I have had my fair share of frustrations with decisions in the past, but I have nothing critical to share in regards to this. I truly just have respect and compassion for the people who had to make these tough decisions and lead these conversations. The day after this all happened, our CEO addressed the company in a live video call to provide context on how they came to this decision. She was concise, direct, and gave us only the necessary information as well as a plan to move forward. You could tell she was visibly upset by having to have made the call to let go of people, as she choked up multiple times. I have been with Houzz for a long time, and have never seen this level of emotion from her. It made the video call feel much more intimate and that we were all in this together. It truly meant a lot to see that she was also as equally upset as we were. There are many obvious perks to working at Houzz: the snacks/food, modern office space, fun events, AMAZING health benefits....but times like these remind me why I've stuck around. At our core I know that the company cares about each of us individually, wants us to succeed, and wants to us champion the Houzz mission.

Cons

Every company has its areas of opportunity. My "cons" at Houzz are lack of career advancement/promotion opportunities (which I understand is complicated, you can't just make up a role so that someone can get promoted and it speaks to the company that people in higher positions don't want to leave); a lot of people in upper management happened to be "in at the right time" and lack leadership skills and I know it would be widely appreciated if those individuals worked with their own leaders to develop those skills more; and I do feel that many individuals aren't being properly compensated for the amount of work they are doing/the massive contribution they are making to the company.

5 people found this review helpful
    2. 3.0
      Former Employee, less than 1 year

Could be worse, could be better

Dec 30, 2020 - Sales Development Representative in Nashville, TN
      Business Outlook

Pros

Good people, friendly culture, benefits

Cons

Upper management, job security, pay is lower than comparable roles at competing companies, high turnover rate

Be the first to find this review helpful
    3. 2.0

Less than ideal.

Jan 14, 2020 - Sales Development Representative in Nashville, TN
      Business Outlook

Pros

They have a fully stocked kitchen, and good benefits. The people there are the best part of the job, and the direct management team, as in direct sales managers were great.

Cons

To begin, I have never felt more expendable than I did with this job. Upper management, as in management anywhere above the regional manager, is completely out of touch with the Nashville office, more specifically the SDRs. No matter how well you do, or how far above goal you are, it’s never enough. They lie to you during the interview process. Many of us were told it was a salary job with capless commission. It is not salary, and once you start the job you realize that you don’t get any commission unless you get promoted to an AE. Essentially as an SDR you don’t feel like the company sees any value in what you bring to the table. They just had a mass lay off of SDRs, and this is the second mass lay off they have had within the last year. If you want any sense of job security, stay far, far away from Houzz. Also any positive review you see about Houzz, I can guarantee is someone from the management team or recruiting.

Houzz on Glassdoor

First, let me say how sorry I am that you felt the way that you did. That is not how I want anyone to feel on my team or at Houzz. Second, we take compensation transparency very seriously and make sure it is listed on the offer letter and clearly communicated. If this was not the case with you, please do reach out to me directly so that I can understand what happened and ensure it doesn’t happen again. I believe in our Sales Development Rep (SDR) role as a wonderful entry point into Houzz to start a career as a sales professional and will continue to hire for this role. As the leader of the sales channel, it’s my job is to ensure that our business is set up for success, which means that we are organized in a way that best serves our customers, our employees, and drives results for the business. As part of this, I’m constantly evaluating performance across our global sales offices and wide range of departments. I believe in the Nashville office and in what our Nashville team can achieve. Our Account Executive team has doubled in size, and we are hiring. While I wish your experience with us had been better, I am really happy to read your feedback on our managers, who I agree are among the best out there. Thank you for your contributions to Houzz, I wish you the best on your next chapter. Joey Nalevka, VP of Sales (joey.nalevka@houzz.com)

4. 2.0
      Former Employee, more than 3 years

Time To Get Out, Not In

Apr 18, 2019 - Anonymous Employee in Irvine, CA
      Business Outlook

Pros

Stocked kitchen, great medical benefits, pretty good maternity/paternity leave policy, and typically surrounded by nice, fun coworkers. Pretty good PTO plan (although many people were told unlimited PTO was a cornerstone of the company, only to find out this was not true once they accepted their role).

Cons

I worked at Houzz for more than four years, in multiple roles across different departments in the company. I started my career at Houzz completely enthralled by the website, its vision, the company culture, and what I saw as a huge opportunity for career growth. My naiveté was shattered pretty quickly, as I started to get into the actual job. Houzz has great promises, but ultimately cannot keep them. Management's organization and long term plans seems to not exist. Goals (and compensation) shift almost quarterly, communication from upper management is minimal, and the focus of the company changes regularly. Additionally, while "We are a family" is a tagline that Houzz likes to employ, employees are treated more like Cinderella was treated by her step-family. Many employees who were in at Houzz at the right time were promoted quickly, and allowed to coast there without growing, leading, or innovating. Their main purpose seems to be to cheer on Houzz, talk about how incredibly we're doing (while results do not support that), and leave disingenuous reviews online to combat the realistic ones. At the same time many hardworking employees are taken advantage of, told that if you just are willing to work hard at Houzz you can succeed, and then are treated as expendable when the whim of upper management changes and we need to "refocus".

23 people found this review helpful

Houzz on Glassdoor

First, thank you for taking a moment to provide feedback. It looks like you were with us for quite some time, and I’m sorry that time did not end more positively for you. I am glad to see some large pros listed, despite that. I do want to mention that we have put several programs in place to help with employee development, including an extensive training program for new hires, leadership training, and annual reviews focusing on employee growth. Additionally, in the last year we have put in more stable commission plans, and have invested resources and time into improving communication to all our employees. It sounds like your perspective is that these efforts aren’t bearing fruit, so I’d appreciate feedback on how we can do better. Please feel free to get in touch anytime. Joey Nalevka, VP of Industry Solutions (joey.nalevka@houzz.com)

5. 1.0

Worst company culture

Oct 8, 2020 - Sales Representative
      Business Outlook

Pros

Snacks, coffee, and Friday Lunch

Cons

Micro-management Treat you like you’re a kid in school No incentives for working hard in this role Upper management was so focused on $$$ they couldn’t see how toxic the environment was They make you use your personal phone to authenticate that it’s you signing into work each day

2 people found this review helpful

Houzz on Glassdoor

I’m sorry to hear your experience with us was not more positive. I’m not sure when you were with us, but I do want to emphasize that we have a large focus on training our sales team both when they join us and on an ongoing basis to make sure they have the best tools to be successful in their roles. Along with that, there are incentive programs for our Sales teams, of course, so I’m surprised by the comment that there are not. If you would like to share more about how we can do better, please reach out to me directly. Joey Nalevka, VP of Sales (joey.nalevka@houzz.com)

6. 3.0
      Former Employee

People are amazing/ Upper management is horrible

Jan 17, 2020 - SDR in Nashville, TN
      Business Outlook

Pros

The people on my team and my manager were the most encouraging and supportive people that I have met throughout the company. There is a fully stocked kitchen and fun activities that the have for employees

Cons

The job can get really repetative. A whole bunch of us were laid off, and the way that it was done was in the most unprofessional manner. It was so unpersonal and without any real good reason why. This was super disappointing since most of us just started working in end of September, early October. We weren't even given the chance to really show upper management what we were capable of. The salary is way too low for how much work we were doing. It was very large let down and I am happy I do not work for a company like this anymore

Houzz on Glassdoor

Thank you for sharing your feedback. I am so glad to hear your experience with your team and manager, as we want people to feel supported and encouraged. Our Sales Development Rep (SDR) role is a starting point for a career as a sales professional at Houzz and I am truly sorry that it did not work out for you. Thank you for contributing to our team. I wish you the best on your next chapter. Peter Hoyt, Regional Sales Manager, Nashville (peter.hoyt@houzz.com)

7. 1.0
      Former Employee, less than 1 year

READ THIS BEFORE APPLYING! Don't let the benefits and office fool you.

Feb 6, 2019 - Account Executive in San Diego, CA
      Business Outlook

Pros

You will meet amazing people and create lasting friendships. Your colleagues are supportive and help to relieve the stress that comes from the job and management. Immediate Benefits

Cons

- Upper Management doesn't care about the relationship of Managers & Employees - You will 100% be micromanaged (Your manager will be listening to your every word as you dial and will look for every opportunity to peek at your screen) - They look for mistakes with little thought to achievement and improvement - You are subject to termination even while in training and ramp up - They will tell you that they care but they're just empty words - NO SICK LEAVE : You're expected to use your PTO - While there are many good managers that work here there are a few (And they know who they are) that have no business leading a team. Between being on power trips, creating intimidating work environments, & not caring about the people on their team. - They don't understand the sales environment at all. It ebb's and flows and you'll be held accountable no matter what.

16 people found this review helpful

Houzz on Glassdoor

Thanks for sharing, though I will say that I am surprised about the way you described the environment, as that is not in any way aligned with the one I’m cultivating here in San Diego, or in any of our offices. Please do reach out if you’d like to talk more. I did want to clarify the use of Paid Time Off (PTO). PTO is combined time away from Houzz to use however an employee needs - whether vacation time or sick time - which is in addition to paid Personal Days and Holidays. All together our offering allows for greater flexibility for employees to use their time away. Thanks again for your review and best of luck in the future. Jenn Meyer, San Diego Regional Sales Manager

8. 1.0
      Former Employee, more than 3 years

Your Everyday Corporation

Jan 15, 2020 - Anonymous Employee in Irvine, CA
      Business Outlook

Pros

- I met some of the most amazing people I have ever known. Houzz does a great job at hiring intelligent, friendly, and like-minded people (only to kick them to the curb later, but I digress). - In my position, I believe I was fairly paid. I do think many positions are underpaid, but luckily my former role allowed me to earn a what is necessary to live in Orange County. - Always felt respected and cared for by my direct team leads and managers. - Stocked kitchen, you won't go hungry. - Friday lunches, holiday parties, and team bonding events were well-planned and enjoyable.

Cons

- No room for upward mobility. Career growth is a pipe-dream at this company. - Zero transparency. Massive decisions are made for the company with no communication. Sometimes, we were not even told of changes to software, policies, etc. ahead of time and would only know once we ran into an issue. - False promises left and right from upper management. - Upper management (by this, I mean people you most likely will never talk to or hardly see in your whole time working here) do not care about you in the slightest. I truly mean, not at all. Do not think in the long run this company cares about anything you have to say or you even you having a job. To continue on my last point, the true kicker is going to work every day and hearing "we are a family" from upper management non-stop. Sweetie, this is not the Brady Bunch. If I could compare this to any family, it would be the family from the movie "Hereditary". Why you may ask? Simply because they had no problem cutting off the heads of almost every employee. I state this figuratively, but they were the pole and I was the Charlie sticking my darn head out the window. If you have not seen the movie that will make no sense. To explain it better, hundreds of us gave Houzz all of our energy, our sanity, and years of our lives to be laid off with no reasoning or explanation. This is common in many corporations, but I find that Houzz tries to pride themselves on being different. Houzz is no different than any other corporation and you are only a cog in the machine. If you are looking to be treated well in the long run and grow in your career, please do not apply.

Houzz on Glassdoor

Thank you for taking the time to share your feedback. I’m glad to read the pros you listed here, especially how you felt treated by your team leads and managers. I agree that we have amazing people at Houzz. I’m sorry to read that what looked to have been a pretty positive experience in many areas did not end more positively for you. Changes that involve people are never easy and we do our best to support employees through any transition. I truly wish the best for you in your next chapter. Ana Harris-Padley, Head of People (ana.harris@houzz.com)

9. 1.0
      Former Employee

Trash

Jan 15, 2020 - Sales Development Representative in Nashville, TN
      Business Outlook

Pros

You’ll make friends for a life time here

Cons

I don’t even know where to begin. For starters, you could probably make more money working full time at McDonald’s. Upper management doesn’t care enough about you to learn your name. The job is as repetitive as it gets. Your day to day includes calling 135+ people a day. Yes everyday. Your goals change probably twice a month, nothing is consistent. And to top it off, they have a history of laying people off without any sort of notice.

5 people found this review helpful

Houzz on Glassdoor

Our Sales Development Rep (SDR) role is a great entry point into Houzz to start a career as a sales professional, which I understand is not for everyone, and does involve a lot of time on the phone. Our goals take seasonality into account, which is likely responsible for the adjustments you noted here. I am sorry this was not a great fit in the end, and wish you the best of luck going forward. Peter Hoyt, Regional Sales Manager, Nashville (peter.hoyt@houzz.com)

10. 3.0
      Current Employee, more than 1 year

Great place to work if you are ok with not making money

Sep 26, 2018 - Trade Account Manager in Irvine, CA
      Business Outlook

Pros

Tons of office perks. Stocked kitchen, catered breakfast and lunch once a week, team outings, birthday and baby shower celebrations, great holiday party, you will make amazing friends here.

Cons

The role I am in is constantly changing, including the commission plan. We don’t have enough resources to do our job to the best of our ability and management only acts like they want feedback from us. No one in upper management really knows what they are doing and they are not qualified to manage this part of Houzz. There is no way to be promoted currently. It is incredibly hard to find products on our marketplace and the quality of the products sold is really bad and no one is doing anything about it. The Trade Program is failing and everyone is just acting like everything is fine. No one wants to buy from somewhere that has cheap products and has people calling them weekly to try to get them to advertise on Houzz. The pros I work with all tell me they get way better products and pricing through other trade programs. No one in this department is making anywhere near what they were told they would make. Living in Orange County is expensive and we are paid very minimally. Most people working here have jobs on the side so they can afford rent and food.

7 people found this review helpful

Houzz on Glassdoor

Thank you for taking a moment to provide a review. Providing great office environments and perks is important and I’m glad to hear you enjoy that as much as I do. I’m sorry to hear you have been frustrated in your role, and I do want to let you know that we have begun regular training for our leadership teams to make sure they have the tools to help their teams grow and be successful in their roles. Our product team and leaders have been having round tables with experienced team members to gain feedback on improvements we can make as well. If you are open to providing more feedback about your experience, please feel free to reach out to me directly. Lisa Rambo, VP of Marketplace Operations (lisa.rambo@houzz.com)

Viewing 1 - 10 of 37 Reviews