Hoveround Reviews | Glassdoor

Full-time Part-time

2.5
Rating Trends Rating Trends
Tom Kruse

1. "Good company if you can take the stress"

Former Employee - Appeals Specialist in Sarasota, FL
    Former Employee - Appeals Specialist in Sarasota, FL

I worked at Hoveround full-time (More than a year)

Pros

Great co-workers, owner seems to care

Cons

Highly stressful, never know when company will have a mass layoff

"rts"

Pros

helping customers helping them to get around again

Cons

they do not care about customers or the employees all they care about now is $$$$ it was not like that before
    now they would have you work 7 days a week 12-14 hrs a day

Advice to Management

get in touch with the people who make you the money like customers and employees

"Look elsewhere for employment!"

Former Employee - Office in Sarasota, FL
    Former Employee - Office in Sarasota, FL

Pros

I received a paycheck on time.

Cons

Went into work every day and gave my all. Hiring and firing is like a revolving door. No one is exempt from losing their job for no reason. The work environment is tense. Management is clueless as to how to keep the company going and employees happy to work for them. Wish I had never given up what I had to accept the job with Hoveround. They ruined my livelihood.

Advice to Management

One word: KHARMA

"Great a long time ago. Not really the last 10 years. ."

I worked at Hoveround full-time (More than 10 years)

Pros

I was in the field and it was an excellent job. I was My Own Boss pretty much.

Cons

The upper management due to lack of knowledge , experience ran the company into the ground. The CEO has no clue what upper management did to his company. The field position is great except now you are forced to work 6 days a week. I would never refer anybody to work inside HQ. They use Scare Tactics with all of their employees. They hire a bunch of people when it gets busy in March and then lay everybody off around the holidays Thanksgiving and Christmas. The company is a sinking ship and you are better off going somewhere else.

Advice to Management

I won't share advice to upper management because they don't care. I will share advice with Tom. Your employees are the ones who make or break your company. I stayed with your company for such a long time because you were really good to your employees. Your regional managers have no say and do anything they can to not get fired. Your upper management made it that way. I would start listening to your employees if you want your company to stop going under. I honestly think it's too late.

"Field/ RehabTech"

Former Employee - Rehabilitative Technology Supplier in Mesa, AZ
    Former Employee - Rehabilitative Technology Supplier in Mesa, AZ

I worked at Hoveround (More than 8 years)

Pros

They hired me! I did meet some great people whom of course were incredible customers and some of the other Field People as well. And one Regional Operations Manger who no longer is there, they know who they are. But I believe I will miss them all.

Cons

They closed my site, and laid me off! And then there are those whom I will not miss at all. And you know as well...... who you are! I still want to believe Tom Kruse does care about the customers. However I am truly concerned for the customers who will need service in the future.

Advice to Management

Sell out what is left. Don't employ anyone with the last name of the family who started the company. Try to find American manufacturers who can supply the parts of the chairs. Say a prayer, plug the holes, but row for shore.

"A love-hate relationship"

Former Employee - Anonymous Employee in Dallas, TX
    Former Employee - Anonymous Employee in Dallas, TX

Pros

Decent pay, benefits average. Ability to self-schedule..high flexibility, as long as you are productive. Regional manager was not a micro-manager. Start your day early or start it later...as long as you are putting in an honest day's work, you have no problems. I often came in early to avoid rush-hour traffic to/from work. Lots of windshield time, covering an increasingly large territory. If you enjoy driving (often in rural areas) this is nice.

Cons

Hoveround is a microcosm of how government works. Everything is managed from the central offices in Sarasota, Fla. This might not be so bad if there were competent people there. The company operates field offices/warehouses/shops nationwide, employing a large number of staff.

Sarasota has no interest in feedback from field staff. Emails/calls to HQ were frequently unanswered. This was especially true when dealing with the materials department. My shop was never well-stocked with parts that were frequently used, and getting them was very difficult much of the time. This resulted in numerous cancelled service calls, and irate clients.

There is a culture of cronyism, with the CEO placing family members and friends in the upper echelon of the company. Bad decisions have been made, with the resulting waste of money.

When Medicare claimed that Hoveround had engaged in fraudulent activity last year...to the tune of many millions of dollars, the axe fell. Large-scale closure of field offices ensued, with the loss of many jobs, including mine. With Medicare being managed as poorly as it is, the truth in these allegations probably lies somewhere in the middle. Hoveround's existence depends on the government, as the vast majority of it's revenue is derived from medicare claims. This is a dangerous position for a company to be in, as your viability comes at the whim of bureaucrats.

Hoveround was making boatloads of money early on, but over the years, medicare has paid less and less for their product. The company operates on very slim margins now, as do most companies, especially those in the DME business. Combined with the ever-increasing compliance costs in dealing with the federal government, I do not see a favorable outlook for this company going forward.

Opportunities for advancement...slim at best.

Advice to Management

The CEO needs to get out of the way. Replace cronies with competent professionals to run what is left of the company. Re-assess company goals. Consider alternative strategies to reduce dependence on government programs which you are currently tethered to.

"Hoveround"

Pros

Pay at the time was more then average. Work/life balance very good minimal overtime. Full time 40 hrs a week. with optional overtime.

Cons

Management or lack Need greater direct management direction. Lack of company direction and company goals.

Advice to Management

Reconstruction from the ground up needed complete reboot of direction goals of company. Company needs more employee benefits raises bonus programs better sales program

9. "Call center"

I have been working at Hoveround full-time

Pros

Close to home and clean work environment. Management is flexible with staff at least at my department and offers lots of overtime opportunities.

Cons

average pay for the area. Seasonality of work causes concern for job certain times of the year. Lots of changes hard to keep up.

Advice to Management

Diversify the products you offer and spend more time investing in the staff retention should result in better results.

10. "CAD Engineer"

Former Employee - CAD Designer in Sarasota, FL
    Former Employee - CAD Designer in Sarasota, FL

I worked at Hoveround full-time (More than 10 years)

Pros

Great company fabulous manufacturing ethics and everyone works for the sole purpose of serving the customer.

Cons

They are a younger company still having growing pains but that makes it easier to get involved because it's a loose structure.

Advice to Management

New products

"Worst management ever"

Former Employee - Script Processor in Sarasota, FL
    Former Employee - Script Processor in Sarasota, FL

Pros

None that I can think of.

Cons

I HATED working for these people! Extremely cut throat and unprofessional. Treat their employees like children and want you to brown nose or you're out the door. I found better work elsewhere and you can too.

Advice to Management

Retire.