Hoveround Reviews | Glassdoor

Tom Kruse

"Field/ RehabTech"

Former Employee - Rehabilitative Technology Supplier in Mesa, AZ
    Former Employee - Rehabilitative Technology Supplier in Mesa, AZ

I worked at Hoveround (More than 8 years)

Pros

They hired me! I did meet some great people whom of course were incredible customers and some of the other Field People as well. And one Regional Operations Manger who no longer is there, they know who they are. But I believe I will miss them all.

Cons

They closed my site, and laid me off! And then there are those whom I will not miss at all. And you know as well...... who you are! I still want to believe Tom Kruse does care about the customers. However I am truly concerned for the customers who will need service in the future.

Advice to Management

Sell out what is left. Don't employ anyone with the last name of the family who started the company. Try to find American manufacturers who can supply the parts of the chairs. Say a prayer, plug the holes, but row for shore.

"A love-hate relationship"

Former Employee - Anonymous Employee in Dallas, TX
    Former Employee - Anonymous Employee in Dallas, TX

Pros

Decent pay, benefits average. Ability to self-schedule..high flexibility, as long as you are productive. Regional manager was not a micro-manager. Start your day early or start it later...as long as you are putting in an honest day's work, you have no problems. I often came in early to avoid rush-hour traffic to/from work. Lots of windshield time, covering an increasingly large territory. If you enjoy driving (often in rural areas) this is nice.

Cons

Hoveround is a microcosm of how government works. Everything is managed from the central offices in Sarasota, Fla. This might not be so bad if there were competent people there. The company operates field offices/warehouses/shops nationwide, employing a large number of staff.

Sarasota has no interest in feedback from field staff. Emails/calls to HQ were frequently unanswered. This was especially true when dealing with the materials department. My shop was never well-stocked with parts that were frequently used, and getting them was very difficult much of the time. This resulted in numerous cancelled service calls, and irate clients.

There is a culture of cronyism, with the CEO placing family members and friends in the upper echelon of the company. Bad decisions have been made, with the resulting waste of money.

When Medicare claimed that Hoveround had engaged in fraudulent activity last year...to the tune of many millions of dollars, the axe fell. Large-scale closure of field offices ensued, with the loss of many jobs, including mine. With Medicare being managed as poorly as it is, the truth in these allegations probably lies somewhere in the middle. Hoveround's existence depends on the government, as the vast majority of it's revenue is derived from medicare claims. This is a dangerous position for a company to be in, as your viability comes at the whim of bureaucrats.

Hoveround was making boatloads of money early on, but over the years, medicare has paid less and less for their product. The company operates on very slim margins now, as do most companies, especially those in the DME business. Combined with the ever-increasing compliance costs in dealing with the federal government, I do not see a favorable outlook for this company going forward.

Opportunities for advancement...slim at best.

Advice to Management

The CEO needs to get out of the way. Replace cronies with competent professionals to run what is left of the company. Re-assess company goals. Consider alternative strategies to reduce dependence on government programs which you are currently tethered to.

"Worked there for close to three years"

Former Employee - Anonymous in Sarasota, FL
    Former Employee - Anonymous in Sarasota, FL

I worked at Hoveround full-time (More than 3 years)

Pros

CEO has heart and great idea to help people. He comes to visit the company making appearances but doesn't actually "see what is going on" within his company. If he knew he'd restructure all the departments

Cons

I liked it when I started there, took two years to wake up. Found that from director/management/team leads/supervisors have very poor attitudes. Not concerned for the client's needs at all. Just get the client off the phone and move on to next calls in or outbound call. Supervisor has worst attitude of all expressing how he hates the job to the people that work under him. He's taking care of personal business or playing with the manager more than helping his employees under him to help the hoveround client's needs. They just don't care about anything at all but the "Almighty Dollar". If client's Medicare is still paying for the chair then Hoveround will listen. If medicare's 13 month rental is up then forget it. the client can wait sometimes 6-8 weeks before anything gets done. They only care for the clients that Medicare is still paying for their chairs. I thought Tom Kruse did care when I started there but then wonder if he's same as his people that work for him and/or are in charge. He needs to take time to research "client reviews" on the internet some time because when I read them I could relate to everyone of them. He'll see he has MANY DISSATISFIED CLIENTS. And as far as employees .. don't ever think you'll get a pat on the back for good job done. Poor moral there and no chance to advance. Not even in pay because raises are held back.

Advice to Management

Care about the people that keep your money coming in....if you care about Money then you should care about your Customers/Clients' needs. Talk will make you or break you.

"Good experience"

Former Employee - Mobility Specialist in Sarasota, FL
    Former Employee - Mobility Specialist in Sarasota, FL

I worked at Hoveround full-time (More than 8 years)

Pros

Competitive Pay scale, decent benefits

Cons

Intimidating, high-stress work environment. Corporation has no value to their employees. After being with the company for 5+ years, being moved to an entry-level position for "business needs" and left there was insulting. Restructuring of the company meant that no matter what your experience or how valuable an employee you are, where they put you is where you end up. If you like military-like micromanaging, you will fit right in. There is no work/life balance...they want OT volunteers and once you do, they want more of your time.

Advice to Management

Ease off the micromanaging. trust in your employees and they will get the job done. Stop treating everyone like a child in a daycare-they are ADULTS.

"Can't recommend working here"

Former Employee - Anonymous Employee in Sarasota, FL
    Former Employee - Anonymous Employee in Sarasota, FL

Pros

-We definitely make the best power chairs on the market and it's nice to know a quality product is going out the door to our customers.

Cons

-Management has no interest in spending money on necessary infrastructure, especially in the area of technology
    -Stagnant working environment where progressivism isn't allowed to exist, let alone flourish.
    -CEO rules with somewhat of an iron fist and his subordinates are hamstringed in their efforts to implement change.

Advice to Management

-Take the advice of those people who have an understanding of their respective field: We're only trying to make Hoveround a better place to work and a more profitable company

"Great a long time ago. Not really the last 10 years. ."

I worked at Hoveround full-time (More than 10 years)

Pros

I was in the field and it was an excellent job. I was My Own Boss pretty much.

Cons

The upper management due to lack of knowledge , experience ran the company into the ground. The CEO has no clue what upper management did to his company. The field position is great except now you are forced to work 6 days a week. I would never refer anybody to work inside HQ. They use Scare Tactics with all of their employees. They hire a bunch of people when it gets busy in March and then lay everybody off around the holidays Thanksgiving and Christmas. The company is a sinking ship and you are better off going somewhere else.

Advice to Management

I won't share advice to upper management because they don't care. I will share advice with Tom. Your employees are the ones who make or break your company. I stayed with your company for such a long time because you were really good to your employees. Your regional managers have no say and do anything they can to not get fired. Your upper management made it that way. I would start listening to your employees if you want your company to stop going under. I honestly think it's too late.

"Very negative work environment"

I have been working at Hoveround full-time (More than a year)

Pros

Nice cafeteria. My manager is very flexible with regard time off.

Cons

Upper management is unapproachable and unavailable. Poor salary increases, so get your money going in the door. Horrible response time to individuals needing repair for their wheelchairs. No accountability for work done wrong, especially if you are a "favorite". Zero chance for advancement.

Advice to Management

Start listening to your employees and show them they are valued.

"Hard work does not pay off."

Pros

Hoveround has a friendly, clean environment and appear to regarding health issues for employees. They have a great work schedule, and pay scale.

Cons

They clean house all the time and you better be a RN, or family member to have longevity. I have seen them dismiss very professional agents. They have ridiculously poor training sessions and antiquated educated business managers and practices.

Advice to Management

Maybe some people have hidden talents and managers should do more educating of all workers evenly.