Howard County Public Schools Reviews | Glassdoor

Full-timePart-time

3.6
Michael J. Martirano

Sort: PopularRatingDate

Pros
  • Diverse district with lots of professional development opportunities to explore and expand upon (in 8 reviews)

• Great county, supportive staff, great benefits (in 5 reviews)

Cons
  • The central office seems to be in the business of running (in 5 reviews)

• NEW COMMON CORE EVALUATION SYSTEM (in 3 reviews)

1. "World Language Teacher"

Current Employee - Anonymous Employee in Ellicott City, MD
    Current Employee - Anonymous Employee in Ellicott City, MD

I have been working at Howard County Public Schools full-time (More than 10 years)

Pros

Great place to work, supportive staff and administration, great benefits.

Cons

Teachers may encounters students with challenging behaviors in the classroom and if there is not a Special Educator teacher or para educator in class to provide support, it would make it hard to teach.

2. "Flexible and overall a decent work environment."

I worked at Howard County Public Schools part-time (More than 3 years)

Pros

Flexible work schedule and most of the employees.

Cons

Some of the work environments were not professional because they engaged in the stereotypical negative HS clique behavior.

3. "School Nurse"

Current Employee - School Nurse in Elkridge, MD
    Current Employee - School Nurse in Elkridge, MD

I have been working at Howard County Public Schools full-time (More than a year)

Pros

Great hours. Supportive management. Friendly staff.

Cons

Due to nature of job, you're "on" from beginning to end of day without a true break.

4. "Great for Educators, Terrible for Operational/Administrative Staff"

Former Employee - Non-Instructional Administrative/Technical Staff in Ellicott City, MD

I worked at Howard County Public Schools full-time (More than a year)

Pros

State retirement and decent health benefits. Good pay for administrative staff. HR staff are very responsive and do as much as possible to help employees. Most of the Curriculum and School Administration areas really care about the students and show concern for people who work for them.

Cons

I really wish I had read some of the warnings on this site before I started working for HCPSS. Management staff in non-instructional areas don't support or train their staff. The new board members elected in 2016 are also openly hostile to staff, so you really end up taking abuse from both sides.

Also, if you notice that many people have the same last name - it's not a coincidence. Nepotism is rampant and it's definitely a "not what you know, but who you know" environment. Family members and those who spend time together outside of work tend to be promoted rapidly.

Advice to Management

Demand that ALL employees and Board members conduct themselves in the same manner that we expect from our students. Ethical behavior and transparency from all levels of management should be mandatory, not optional.

5. "It Is All It Where You Work"

Former Employee - Teacher, Secondary School in Clarksville, MD
    Former Employee - Teacher, Secondary School in Clarksville, MD

I worked at Howard County Public Schools (More than 10 years)

Pros

If there is good leadership in the school, this is an excellent system in which to work. They provide good professional development for new teachers.

Cons

There is a great deal of nepotism in this school system. It is all in who you know. Sometimes, depending on the school where you work, you will be singled out and picked on for the smallest reason.

Advice to Management

Monitor principals more carefully.

6. "the good, the bad on the job."

Current Employee - Custodian in Howard, CO
    Current Employee - Custodian in Howard, CO

Pros

you don't have to worry about getting laid off from work. the school system has been around for a long time and isn't going anywhere The pay is okay.

Cons

The class rooms are left dirty every day . Teachers do very little to help keep class rooms clean. the custodians have a weak Union, they're yes men to the school board members. Supervisors harass staff all the time.

Advice to Management

stop making an easy job Hard.

7. "Fantastic"

Current Employee - Paraeducator in Laurel, MD
    Current Employee - Paraeducator in Laurel, MD

Pros

Helpful coworkers and quick processes.
    Great kids
    High diversity
    Lots of room for growth and transfers to fit your changing life.

Cons

I've heard from several coworkers that occasionally certain branches of central office can be slow, but I have yet to experience this.

Advice to Management

I have nothing but good things to say. Keep doing what you've been doing

8. "teacher"

I have been working at Howard County Public Schools full-time (More than 8 years)

Pros

We have a very good school system.

Cons

There are very few cons.

Advice to Management

n/a

9. "Tiring after a while"

Current Employee - Substitute Teacher in Columbia, MD
    Current Employee - Substitute Teacher in Columbia, MD

I have been working at Howard County Public Schools part-time (More than 3 years)

Pros

I have a job everyday. I can pick what schools I want to go to, grades I want to teach. I control my schedule. If you want to become a teacher, it's great experience. I can sub at my kids school. If your a stay at home parent and just need spending money or be more involved with your kids, it's great.

Cons

Pay is very low. No benefits. I don't feel "part of" the school system. Some schools work you the entire day. If the teacher has 2 free planning periods, some schools will assign you to cover other classes. You could be asked to file or sharpen 500 pencils. Those schools don't understand that a person needs more than a 25 min lunch break. Being assigned to different classes makes it more stressful. I have gone from science teacher to music teacher to P.E teacher in one day. The students start losing respect for you or get confused. Sometimes a teacher leaves lame sub plans or none. I feel like a babysitter. I've tried to get permanent positions, but get passed over.

Advice to Management

Look into increasing pay to get quality substitute teachers. We need more than a 25 minute break. At least one planning period. Can we have benefits? Is there a way you can make substitute teachers feel part of the school system and not the step child of the school system? I feel used a lot of the time

10. "Great employers"

Former Employee - Anonymous Employee in Columbia, MD
    Former Employee - Anonymous Employee in Columbia, MD

I worked at Howard County Public Schools full-time (More than a year)

Pros

Employees are treated very well.

Cons

Promotions are harder to get,