Howard Fischer Associates Reviews

Updated Apr 27, 2021

4.1
Howard Fischer Associates President and CEO Howard Fischer (no image)
Howard Fischer
  1. 5.0
    Current Employee, more than 8 years

Love it !

Apr 27, 2021 - Director in Philadelphia, PA
    Business Outlook

Pros

Ability to work from home.

Cons

Looking forward to a return to the office.

2. 5.0
    Current Employee, more than 1 year

Great place to work

Nov 13, 2019 - Research Analyst
    Business Outlook

Pros

Unparalleled work/life balance and flexible vacation time. Friendly, smart coworkers. Great culture, not a competitive atmosphere. Diverse searches/projects. Partners/management are invested in everyone's career growth

Cons

Great training ground, so we have lost some people to top VCs and startups

3. 5.0
    Current Employee, more than 5 years

A great place to learn how to be approach search the right way and become a respected Executive Recruiter

Nov 14, 2014 - Anonymous Employee
    Business Outlook

Pros

+ Approaches search as an apprenticeship without the pressures of BD early in career + The focus of the firm is all about finding a great candidate for the client. + Instills a strong process and discipline in every recruiter from how to make the initial call to how to reference, to the best way to facilitate a close + Culture of collaboration, team work and low ego + With rare exceptions, everyone rolls up their sleeves and calls candidates + Early and direct involvement with clients ... even as a Consultant + The place to build a foundational expertise that is held in high regard by the VC community throughout Silicon Valley. + HFA Alumni can be found as leading members of VC recruiting teams at Andreessen Horowitz, Greylock, Accel, KPC&B and Norwest.

Cons

+ Have to be comfortable with a black-box bonus model

4. 5.0

Great home over the last 10 years

Dec 18, 2017 - Anonymous Employee in Cupertino, CA
    Business Outlook

Pros

Over the last 10 years, I've had the opportunity and good fortune to lead, work on and contribute to searches that cover literally every functional leadership area from CEO, engineering, product, sales, marketing, finance, operations, and HR and across every technical sector from enterprise software, to social media, to semiconductors. Short of working in an analyst or venture capacity, it's the best education and exposure to the world of silicon valley technology I could imagine. More importantly, I've had the opportunity to do all of this with people who I consider family and personal friends, in a supportive and thoughtful culture. We also have more than our fair share of fun around the office.

Cons

We make decisions carefully. In the end that reduces a lot of churn and waste which is a good thing, however, I'd still like to see us push the envelope more.

5. 3.0
    Current Employee, more than 5 years

Great Place To Learn Executive Search, Bad Culture

Nov 7, 2017 - Consultant
    Business Outlook

Pros

Great place to learn executive search. Very thorough process that teaches you how to execute and do best in class executive search work. Collaborative culture with your peer group. No in fighting since it's not a commission structure. Work with top companies in F500 and VC/PE world. Access to C-suite executives.

Cons

The two owners are challenging people to work for. They have a nasty way about them. Edgy, sometimes mean, mercurial. One owner doesn't do any work but grills you if you don't have candidates for his searches. If you're willing to put up with their nonsense, it's fine. Compensation will never align to market rate. Bonuses tend to be based on company profitability and target budgets (which are pulled out of thin air by ownership), even if you have a great year compared to others in firm or other offices.

1 person found this review helpful
  6. 5.0
    Current Employee, more than 1 year

HFA - great place to work!

Mar 4, 2014 - Executive Recruiter in Los Gatos, CA
    Business Outlook

Pros

I explored a broad spectrum of companies to join when I was exploring making the transition from an operating exec role to that of executive recruiter and decided on HFA because the culture and the level of integrity here was exceptional. I've had the opportunity to work on great searches from SpaceX, GitHub, Cloudera, Couchbase...and we have a lot of fun here (I've laughed more and harder here than in any other place I've worked in the past). Culture, integrity and quality of searches have been exceptional.

Cons

Career pathing - not a con, just figuring it out

7. 2.0
    Former Employee, less than 1 year

Research Associate

Sep 16, 2017 - Anonymous Employee
    Business Outlook

Pros

Thorough process and best in class in evaluating candidates. Many HFA alumni have gone on to top VCs and firms

Cons

Bad culture that refuses to adapt to modern times - still do paper updates in a tech-driven sector. Overstaff projects and too many pointless internal meetings. Terrible management. I saw countless things that could have been a lawsuit if someone wanted to pursue. Determination for consultants to be generalists means more ramp up time per search compared to specializing and creating a network, leading to a less ideal client experience than specialization.

8. 4.0
    Former Employee, more than 1 year

I thought I did, but in reality - I didn't know what search was, until I worked here

Nov 2, 2017 - Current Or Past
    Business Outlook

Pros

Some of the best, most dedicated minds in the industry. Culture is completely collaborative and focused on the client and doing great search work for the client company. Period. It's all repeat and referral business because of that. The people are fun, don't take themselves too seriously and move fast but you don't come here to play Foosball and drink IPAs.. you come here to build a career. And the exposure you get to do just that is just not possible at those other 'bullpen' firms.

Cons

you need to put the time in and work hard.

1 person found this review helpful
  9. 4.0
    Current Employee, less than 1 year

Great place to learn, execute and thrive as a world class Executive Recruiter.

Dec 7, 2017 - Anonymous Employee
    Business Outlook

Pros

Amazing organization to learn best in class fundamentals of executive search and then be able to execute at the highest levels within established F500, Venture Capital & P/E and Board searches. Ability to engage and be part of all aspects of search dealing with C-Suite and Board no matter what level you are at the firm. Highly Collaborate across all three offices (Philadelphia, Boston & CA). Hard working and smart culture where you will constantly learn about new industries, sectors and functions no matter what level you are at the firm.

Cons

could make internal decisions quicker.

10. 5.0
    Current Employee, less than 1 year

Exceptionally talented recruiters across the board

Mar 6, 2014 - Anonymous Employee
    Business Outlook

Pros

I have worked for several search firms, but none with this caliber of cross-the-board great recruiters. There isn't a weak link to be found here. Great teamwork, relentless effort put towards searches, and low to zero corporate politics.

Cons

Really nothing negative at all.

Viewing 1 - 10 of 15 Reviews