Cover image for Howard Hughes Medical Institute

4 stars

3 stars

2 stars

1 star

What are your colleagues talking about?

Find your exclusive Company Bowl™ on Community. Join the hottest conversation with your colleagues anonymously.
Join the Conversation

Top Review Highlights by Sentiment

Excerpts from user reviews, not authored by Glassdoor

Pros
  • "The benefits and amenities of the facility are great.(in 84 reviews)
  • "Great people that care deeply about what they do and are happy to share their expertise with you.(in 17 reviews)
  • "Campus is beautiful and people are intelligent and easy to work with(in 16 reviews)
  • "Great culture and people.(in 12 reviews)
  • "competitive pay by academic research standards(in 10 reviews)
Cons

Ratings by Demographics

Want more options?

This rating reflects the overall rating of Howard Hughes Medical Institute and is not affected by filters.

Verify your email to use filters. Having problems? Resend email

Found 386 of over 413 reviews

Updated Dec 1, 2023

FEATURED REVIEW
      Sep 14, 2023
      Lab Manager
      Current Employee, less than 1 year
      Business Outlook

Pros

I was looking to relocate to the Bay area from the East Coast for a while and had been applying to different institutions in the Bay for several months with no success. I had heard of HHMI from a past colleague at Harvard who attested to the great benefits and career opportunities offered at HHMI so I submitted my application under the Laboratory Manager - San Francisco Bay Area (Evergreen) listing. Shortly after, I was contacted by the HHMI recruiter Leann Lee who let me know of a position in San Francisco that had just opened up. She got the ball rolling quickly and in less than a week I was interviewing with my now boss. I have HHMI recruiting and of course Leann to thank for assisting me in this process. I am extremely happy as an HHMI employee and would recommend working here to anyone.

Cons

I don't have any cons to report.

Nov 30, 2023
        Recruiter
        Chevy Chase, MD
        Business Outlook

Pros

Great people! Love the culture and work life balance

Cons

I don't have any negatives

2. Join the Howard Hughes Medical Institute team
        See Our Latest Jobs
        1. 4.0
          Dec 1, 2023
          Research Technician
          Boston, MA
          Business Outlook

Pros

Will depend on the PI and research lab you're working with.

Cons

Solid benefit coverage but could be more.

Oct 20, 2023
            Manager
            Current Employee, more than 1 year
            Business Outlook

Pros

-Take good care of their employees. -Surrounded by passionate, brilliant colleagues. -Amazing mission.

Cons

-Can't really think of one.

Oct 10, 2023
              Research Assistant
              Former Employee
              New York, NY
              Business Outlook

Pros

Fantastic stuff being done at these labs

Cons

Processes can be slow sometimes

Oct 7, 2023
                Research Specialist I
                Current Employee, more than 3 years
                Business Outlook

Pros

All about people and providing support and career improvement tools.

Cons

Distance from the headquarters and main research campus

1. 3.0
                  Mar 29, 2023
                  Laboratory Manager I
                  Current Employee, more than 3 years
                  Boston, MA
                  Business Outlook

Pros

The organization does some excellent science. Working under some of the field's leading PIs on important and meaningful work is what brought me here. I also enjoy the autonomy I have in performing my day to day duties.

Cons

Much of what the organization does with respect to employee advancement and promotion is reactive. There is no clearly defined scope of work for a lab manager so you are the 'catch-all' for everything in the lab. As time passes, the scope of your work continues to creep wider and wider while the recognition from management or the organization does not seem comparable. The disconnect between the expanding duties/ effort/ responsibility/ scope of work and clear path or requirements for advancement are what leads to a feeling of burnout and disengagement.

Jun 26, 2023
                    Technology Support Specialist II
                    Former Employee
                    Chevy Chase, MD
                    Business Outlook

Pros

Although I moved onto much higher paying jobs in the years since I worked at HHMI, they are still #1 on my list of best places I've worked, and I know it will be hard to find a match in the future. They are extremely generous in just about every aspect of employment and benefits. Every employee, from the C-level executives to the kitchen staff, are treated with utmost dignity and respect, demonstrated by a clear commitment to err on the side of overstaffing to ensure quality of work and low employee stress. The cafeteria food was better than many restaurants. Just about every valuable benefit you can think of was available - generous retirement matching, tuition and education reimbursement, discounted travel, a modern, well-equipped gym, a beautiful campus where employees were encourages to take walks, frequent parties and team outings, generous equipment budgets, high-end furniture, access to mentors, generous PTO, and best of all - truly wonderful people at every desk and office who were happy to share their corner of the organization's operations, which was very enlightening and helpful for someone like me who was still becoming acquainted with the working world. It was not uncommon to meet employees who had been with HHMI for over 30 years. It was also very fulfilling to know that working for HHMI was contributing towards a noble cause that is helping humanity at large. I am very grateful for the short time I spent at HHMI, and owe a great deal of gratitude for the free education I was able to receive while I was there, which led to major advancements in my career later on.

Cons

It follows that such an amazing workplace is hard to leave, and well-staffed teams create a situation where competition is low, and higher positions and promotions were extremely rare - even in IT, which is a notoriously high-turnover industry, many of the team members had been in their positions for 7+ years with no intention of leaving, and you can't blame them! This is what unfortunately led to my announcing my exit - which prompted a very touching response of an attempt by my manager to find me any other higher-paying role in the organization, even in other teams/campuses, just so that I wouldn't have to leave HHMI. One genuine con (which I wouldn't be surprised if it were resolved by now) was that some employees abused some of the generous budgets or tried to "game the system" by taking some liberties with narratives and stretching business justifications for expenses to an extent that was a bit beyond what I was comfortable with seeing, but this was isolated to a select few employees with different mindsets about what is acceptable.

Jun 30, 2023
                      Research Technician
                      Former Employee, more than 3 years
                      Seattle, WA
                      Business Outlook

Pros

They offer generous PTO; a week off during the summer and a week off at the end of the year on top of other regular PTOs you get.

Cons

Overall benefit coverage you get as a HHMI employee is great but it sometimes causes conflict with the host institute (where you physically work).

Jul 27, 2023
                        Postdoctoral Researcher
                        Business Outlook

Pros

Great benefits and higher pay compared to many other academic postdoc positions

Cons

One downside: no IRA contribution matching

Viewing 1 - 10 of 386 Reviews
                      </>Embed

Howard Hughes Medical Institute Reviews FAQs

Howard Hughes Medical Institute has an overall rating of 4.4 out of 5, based on over 413 reviews left anonymously by employees. 89% of employees would recommend working at Howard Hughes Medical Institute to a friend and 86% have a positive outlook for the business. This rating has improved by 2% over the last 12 months.

According to anonymously submitted Glassdoor reviews, Howard Hughes Medical Institute employees rate their compensation and benefits as 4.5 out of 5. Find out more about salaries and benefits at Howard Hughes Medical Institute. This rating has improved by 2% over the last 12 months.

89% of Howard Hughes Medical Institute employees would recommend working there to a friend based on Glassdoor reviews. Employees also rated Howard Hughes Medical Institute 4.2 out of 5 for work life balance, 4.3 for culture and values and 3.9 for career opportunities.

According to reviews on Glassdoor, employees commonly mention the pros of working at Howard Hughes Medical Institute to be career development, culture, benefits and the cons to be senior leadership, management.

Popular Careers with Howard Hughes Medical Institute Job Seekers

JobsSalariesInterviews

Popular Conversations

Interview Tips

Data Analyst

I’m new to this data analyst part of tech. I’m trying to break in but it’s been difficult. Can anyone help me with what to expect for interview questions for my position?

0 Comments

Digital Strategy Consultant

Is there an ‘active job seeker’ icon for recruiters on LinkedIn the way there is an ‘actively recruiting’ icon for job seekers?

5 Comments

Senior Resource Manager

Last Thursday and Friday I interviewed with 2 hiring managers for 2 different companies. Both of them said they’d like me to progress to the next interview and the recruiter would reach out. One company said they wanted a offer out this month so it would be a quick process. I sent thank you emails and references. I haven’t heard from either recruiter. I had the recruiter screening and hiring manager interview just days apart, I thought I’d hear back by now. Thoughts?!

3 Comments

Glassdoor has 413 Howard Hughes Medical Institute reviews submitted anonymously by Howard Hughes Medical Institute employees. Read employee reviews and ratings on Glassdoor to decide if Howard Hughes Medical Institute is right for you.