Hu-Friedy Reviews | Glassdoor

3.2
Ron Saslow

Sort: PopularRatingDate

1. "Good"

Pros

Friendly culture and supportive management

Cons

does not sponsor H1B visa

2. "great place to work"

Former Employee - Customer Service Representative in Chicago, IL
    Former Employee - Customer Service Representative in Chicago, IL

I worked at Hu-Friedy (More than a year)

Pros

Nice friendly people
    great work environment
    room for growth
    flexible work hours
    great benefits

Cons

Sometimes people complain too much about small stuff
    work load can be heavy at times
    upper management sometimes seems disconnected
    Sometimes it can be stressful
    don't make too many mistakes

Advice to Management

keep doing a great job

"Good for manufacturing."

Pros

Innovative product development
    Strong brand power and industry leader
    Soild science-based engineering

Cons

Stubborn leadership
    Negative attitudes by complacent employees
    Ineffective communication from top down and accross channels

Advice to Management

Take talent reviews seriously. Trim the fat and hire people stronger candidates. Chicago has a very deep talent pool.

"Great place to work"

I worked at Hu-Friedy full-time

Pros

Great people, very knowledgeable. Embrace new technologies.

Cons

Some of the higher levels of management are a bit out of touch with regular people in the company

"Friendly staff, plenty of work to do"

Former Employee - Anonymous Employee in Des Plaines, IL
    Former Employee - Anonymous Employee in Des Plaines, IL

I worked at Hu-Friedy full-time

Pros

Friendly, laid back environment, lots of work in the summer

Cons

Can be slow during winter months

"Sales Leader"

Current Employee - Sales Leader
    Current Employee - Sales Leader

I have been working at Hu-Friedy full-time (More than 3 years)

Pros

Hu-Friedy is the exception to the rule when it comes to "large companies" in dental. Over my years in dental/medical, I had never worked for such an incredible company like Hu-Friedy. From the moment I stepped through the front door, I was welcomed as family. Working at other large companies (Fortune 500) and being a part of their leadership, I can tell you first-hand, Hu-Friedy is the ONLY choice in manufacturing. Leading from the bottom up, this company prides itself on their TRIERS core values, making sure their integrity or highest quality standard ever get compromised.

From a visionary stand-point, Hu-Friedy is the most methodical, research-first, not afraid to act, company I have also ever worked for. We are constantly challenging the status quo and looking for new ways to align our clinicians to perform at their best. When you go into an office and do not see Hu-Friedy.. I would recommend seeing a different doctor. Being on the inside, I would only trust my health to the real professionals – the engineers at Hu-Friedy. When Hu-Friedy puts their stamp on it, that means something. There are many moves we could make to earn a quick dollar, but we don’t take the easy route. We make sure that when we roll out a new product or strategy, it is in the best interest of our stakeholders… most importantly, our customers.

I spend a great deal of time with our leadership team. I not only trust them as a company, leader(s), manager(s), but as a group I look up to. We are changing the way clinicians practice dentistry each and every day, and THAT is something you need to be a part of. There are other companies out there who claim they are the best, they are the sharpest, they are xwy, but they are not – and believe me when I tell you, I knew that before I even started working here. Hu-Friedy is the gold standard – they are second to none.

Cons

Cons? Every company has areas to work on. We are human – we make mistakes, but we learn from them and boy do we grow from them. In respects to a career at Hu-Friedy, there are no cons. This company, time after time will work to make you a better person. And since we are being honest, if you feel that nothing is being done, you need to look in the mirror. YOU and you alone are in charge of your career. No manager is going to do it for you. They will guide you, help you, motivate you, but at the end of the day, it is up to you. Once you make the decision to proceed with your career at Hu-Friedy, the company will be there every step of the way, making it happen for you. They believe in YOU.

Advice to Management

Advice to Management? Keep it up. The direction we are heading is so empowering, and I have the humble and grateful opportunity to be part of this team. I will leave you with this.. “In baseball and in business, there are three types of people. Those who make it happen, those who watch it happen, and those who wonder what happened.” – Tommy Lasorda. Hu-Friedy makes it happen. Period.

"Boys Club- Save yourself the headache"

Former Employee - Anonymous Employee in Chicago, IL
    Former Employee - Anonymous Employee in Chicago, IL

I worked at Hu-Friedy full-time (More than 8 years)

Pros

Wellness Program, flexible schedules, good place to get work experience

Cons

No opportunities for advancement, hardworking employees are not appreciated. If you are a male and well-liked by corporate or upper management you will advance. They make up positions that make no sense just to promote those who are favored. HR contributes to the problem by supporting management's lies. HR cannot be trusted for anything. When I started at the company HR was trustworthy now that department is full of people who only work to cover up for the president and managements requests. Not an ethical company to work for. Many good employees have left because of the lack of opportunities and the corrupt work environment.

Advice to Management

Stop the favoritism towards the "elite". You are contributing to discriminatory practices towards hard working people who deserve a chance and not be lied to. The people you continue to promote with no good reason are taking advantage of the corrupt environment and are not working and taking advantage of the hard working employees who don't get the benefits and rewards. Maybe then you will see a decrease in voluntary turnover.

"Product Manager"

Pros

Buttoned-up company with a real and actionable global growth strategy that positions the company for continued long term growth. A strong competitor. Not afraid to take business risks, but does their homework first. Exceptional smart and seasoned leadership dedication to the industry, the company, and new product development. Great team work ethic and core values. Opportunities to excel, learn and advance. The type of market leader you want to work for. Not to big, not to small. Values it's brand and works hard to make keep it in the forefront of it's end users.

Cons

None. This is an exceptional company.

Advice to Management

Keep it up! Competition move aside!

"Major HR disasters"

I worked at Hu-Friedy full-time

Pros

Some of the people I worked with were nice

Cons

Upper management C-Suite incredibly corrupt and acts like a fraternity
    Company does not spend the money on people who know what they are doing

"Solid company with strong history and pride"

Current Employee - Anonymous Employee in Chicago, IL
    Current Employee - Anonymous Employee in Chicago, IL

I have been working at Hu-Friedy full-time (More than 3 years)

Pros

There is a company focus on wellness and the company consistently performs well. There is a strong sense of pride from many of the employees.

Cons

The general office area has stained carpets, cheap posters, and pests are a consistent problem. Meanwhile, the C-suite has a huge salt water fish tank, fine art, and a $10,000 coffee machine. It's also a culture where the highest paid person's opinion rules, whether or not that person knows the most about the situation at hand.

Advice to Management

Show some appreciation to your employees by giving them a pleasing working environment.