Huawei Technologies Reviews | Glassdoor

Rating Trends Rating Trends
Huawei Technologies President and CEO Ren Zhengfei
Ren Zhengfei

Pros
Cons
  • Work-life-balance" is not really a topic to even consider (in 350 reviews)

• No work-life balance, complicated business structure (in 146 reviews)

1. "good"

Current Employee - Technical Support in San Francisco, CA
    Current Employee - Technical Support in San Francisco, CA

I have been working at Huawei Technologies full-time (Less than a year)

Pros

Great Environment very good pay

Cons

Heavy duty tasks
    Management very inconsiderate

Advice to Management

Pay more attention to you employees

2. "Great to work for a successful market leader"

Current Employee - Anonymous Employee in Santa Clara, CA
    Current Employee - Anonymous Employee in Santa Clara, CA

I have been working at Huawei Technologies full-time

Pros

Huawei is giant in the telecom industry. The company is doing all the right things to emerge as the market leader in multiple market segments. This is possible largely by attracting, rewarding and retaining top talent, which Huawei is very good at managing. Being part of Huawei presents so many opportunities for continued learning and growth. I like the prospect of working for a successful company where performance is the yardstick for reward, but budgets never are a constraint. The culture and core value of Huawei put the customer at the helm. Huawei is also an equal opportunity employer with a very competitive compensation and benefits.

Cons

This is applicable to the US divisions: even though there is enough local autonomy, HQ can be intrusive in creating operational hurdles and bottlenecks. This is probably true of all US-headquarter global companies, but difficult to digest when at the receiving end.

Advice to Management

To attract local talent, especially the millenials, it is critical to focus on brand equity. The Huawei brand lacks presence in the US, so pay attention to enhance image perception in order to become a desirable employer.

3. "Senior Product Engineer"

Former Employee - Transmission Network Engineer in Clifton Park, NY
    Former Employee - Transmission Network Engineer in Clifton Park, NY

I worked at Huawei Technologies (More than 3 years)

Pros

Good work environment,
    Self improvement chance,
    nice team

Cons

sometime the family will be overlook.
    and work is overload

Advice to Management

Work is not the whole life, advice people spend some more time on family life, take care of family.

"Technological challenges, demanding customers, recognition & family values never give you an ordinary moment."

Former Employee - Senior Project Manager in Chicago, IL
    Former Employee - Senior Project Manager in Chicago, IL

I worked at Huawei Technologies full-time (Less than a year)

Pros

At Huwaei Technologies - Pakistan, we never missed the opportunities of meeting commitments and celebrating the success stories:
    1. A customer-centric company – this was the one of the most enjoyable part where we have to make sure that we are keeping the balance of what customers want and what our commitments are.
    2. Working for an international company made individual accountability an important factor where we have to deal with diversified customers in different countries. Mandatory training and awareness program, such as, Cyber Security, protection of data, working in customer environments etc. were given to all employees. As a Project Manager, I was responsible for ensuring the team is aware and following-up to these rules.
    3. Career build-up path for all employees, a unique competency program (categorized by professional areas) handled by a dedicated team to ensure all employees follow the plan. The expertise level was divided – each level represented the level of expertise (Solution Architecture, Business Analysis, Project Management, etc.). In order to qualify for the next level, examination, on-line test, and experience in subject matter areas were counted in addition to the final interview by the expert committee who then recommended whether a person remains at the same level or moves to the next level.
    4. Team-building sessions where not only you have fun but also working relationships were enhanced. This was held in a big auditorium or a resort – usually an all day activity with lunch, snacks, rides, swimming - a fun day to be away from the normal routine.
    5. Success stories – of course a major milestone or project closure stories including lessons learned were shared via email and web. This was always followed by a big dinner for the team.
    6. A special happy birthday note sent via email and a cake celebration with a gift for that lucky person.
    7. Recognition Award ceremony for outstanding effort and influence – an Outstanding Performer and Future Stars for individual and Outstanding performance for the team. The project manager and department manager were responsible for the selection based on the effort, contribution and feedback.
    8. Bonus – this is a sweet word – bonuses were given on yearly basis and they were based on your utilization on the project, project success, and department contribution. Sometimes, the total amount of bonus was twice or thrice your monthly salary.
    9. Outstanding Employees of the month – each functional department manager across the organization selected an employee of the month person and that person name/picture was published company-wide via the newsletter.
    10. Occasionally the company announced special monetary awards for the money won via legal cases due to the internal or external cases.
    11. Working with international teams gave us the opportunity to learn new cultures and adapt to new ways for working together. As a Project Manager, it was critical for me that as a team we worked cohesively.
    12. The integrated delivery service for the project was the most challenging part as you have to communicate with several internal parties plus the customer to ensure the project delivery is a success.
    13. All of the above points made Huawei Technologies Pakistan an exciting place to work where not only I enjoyed the work but at the same time I also had fun.

Cons

1. Lack of a good insurance as compared to other leading companies in Pakistan – the company provided only the employee insurance and it didn’t include the employee’s family. Huawei is one of the leading telecom solutions providers in Pakistan and despite of having several meetings with the management, there was no agreement.
    2. Language barrier – in Pakistan the business language is English – it was difficult to talk directly to the Chinese staff at HQ (mostly speak Chinese) in China and always required some kind of intervention from the Chinese staff in Pakistan.
    3. Mandatory E-Timecard was also a nuisance -- since the company is projectized, there was no need for a time card, and rather the completion of the project commitment should have been looked into.
    4. Pre-sales over commitment with the customer always caused the project delivery a costly endeavor. We always found conflicting statements at the time of requirement gathering where customer interpretation was different than the Pre-sales staff commitment.
    5. Although we had a centralized portfolio management, the project always found a mismanagement of resources causing delay and a lot of negotiations were negatively impacting the project.
    6. Management over-commitment with the customer also caused delay and the project cost overrun. Specifically, the strategic projects always impacted the on-going projects because of the heavy resource manipulation.
    7. The email publicized the name of the individual and the crime (taking bribe from customer, illegal use of company property etc.) the person committed to all worldwide employees. The name of the person should not be mentioned in the email.
    8. Relocation also caused anguish among employees – turnover was high when relocation is considered by the company.
    9. The diverse location (different countries) of the staff felt that the location where the staff management is located has the upper hand as compared to their location.
    10. Per Diem to the staff that belonged to different countries felt the policy should be the same rather than depending on the economic conditions of the country. A team coming from different countries to project the country should receive the same compensation instead of it being based on the country where the staff is coming from.

Advice to Management

As you know Huawei is the leading telco solution company in Pakistan and I would advice to the Management that the insurance policy should match with the other telco companies in Pakistan. Currently the insurance policy is not balance with the reputation of the Huawei name itself.

6. "Everyone works hard, every one can find his position at Huawei."

Current Employee - Senior Software Engineer in Redwood City, CA
    Current Employee - Senior Software Engineer in Redwood City, CA

I have been working at Huawei Technologies full-time (More than 10 years)

Pros

Just work hard, the other things you need not take care about.

Cons

Everyone works so hard, so you can not by lazy.

"network engineer intern"

Current Employee - Network Engineer in Santa Clara, CA
    Current Employee - Network Engineer in Santa Clara, CA

I have been working at Huawei Technologies part-time (Less than a year)

Pros

A good team. Nice people here. Nice team building. Nice working environment and a nice gym.

Cons

Most people are Chinese so most of the leisure time they speaks mandarin, hard to understand for foreign people.

Advice to Management

Hire more foreign people to make Huawei more international and open.

"It is the largest telecommunications equipment manufacturer in the world, having overtaken Ericsson in 2012"

Former Employee - Software Engineer in Berkeley, CA
    Former Employee - Software Engineer in Berkeley, CA

I worked at Huawei Technologies (Less than a year)

Pros

Huawei Global Services provides telecommunications operators with equipment to build and operate networks as well as consulting and engineering services to improve operational efficiencies.

Cons

Huawei offers a variety of network technologies and solutions to help telecommunications operators expand the capacity of their mobile broadband networks.

"A good company for mid-career technical people who look for a break-out role"

Current Employee - Director in Santa Clara, CA
    Current Employee - Director in Santa Clara, CA

I have been working at Huawei Technologies full-time (More than 3 years)

Pros

- A growth company w/ a lot of room for seasoned technical people.

Huawei America research lab is rapidly growing and gaining more and more influence inside the company. Huawei is going through a stage of becoming leaders in its technical fields but has some catch-up to do. The higher-ups have realized the importance of technical expertise (especially from US) and put a lot of efforts in attracting and supporting technical leaders. For technically strong people from other established but more over-crowded companies, Huawei can be a good choice for a break-out role.

- The company's financial is very strong and the overall morale is high.

Don't underestimate the importance of a company's financial. It feels really differently when working for a company that grows in revenue vs. one that shrinks. Trust me as I've worked for more than a decade at one of the major IT company w/ 10+ consecutive quarters of revenue loss before joining Huawei. The difference is very distinct.

- The company has a very effective way of execution.

This could be a double-edged sword as wrong decisions can be done quickly too :), but overall I found it very satisfying to work where the culture is to get things done. I am especially impressed by the work ethics of the colleagues in China and marvel at the execution style (where nothing is left out of the loop). In contrast, during my years at a major industry research lab, I see all these brilliant people brainstorming new ideas but takes forever to put an idea into a prototype or to production.

Cons

- Huawei fundamentally still operates/manages like a Chinese company where centralized decisions were made and sometimes abrupt changes of policies. That could be hard for people who are used to the American company culture.

I would say if you are not flexible enough you may not survive the first year of Huawei.

- Working experiences may vary a great deal across groups

There is no uniform high standard of work satisfaction across different groups. It really depends. Some group may have high turn over, others may be thriving. It really depends on the leader of the group, how well he/she is able to align the group's work w/ company's business interests and can proactively weather the storm. So before joining Huawei, make sure to assess your leader and group well, there could be a high fluctuation of experiences.

- Negative branding/PR issue

Before I joined Huawei, I was scared by the negative PR of Huawei. So if you decide to join Huawei, there may not be the kind of Halo effect of joining some prestigious companies (but if you ever get stuck in a "prestigious" company, you know how worthless "prestige" can be unless you get out of the company). Now having worked at Huawei for over two years, overall I really like the company and couldn't care less about the negative PR.

- How long would Huawei's boom last?

Huawei is clearly going through a window of rapid growth w/ expansions into new domains such as smart devices, IoT, 5G, etc. The last couple of years have been very good (thanks to the booming smartphone business). But how long would that last (given the volatility of cellphone business and the outlook of China's economy)? Nobody can tell. I'd say join Huawei now before the boom goes away and make sure you grow on the job so that you have more career assets to move on when things go bad.

- Lack of diversity

I'd say 80% of technical people are Chinese-speaking. So it could be hard for non-Chinese speaking employee to fit in. But in general colleagues are very nice and go out of the way to help our non-Chinese speaking colleagues.

Advice to Management

- Improve the IT environment (so much productivity has been wasted)
    - Strengten the external image of Huawei (not just branding & PR, but also relationship w/ external communities, recruiting, etc)
    - Improve the diversity (we don't want to hire for the sake of diversity, but lack of diversity sometimes make us lose really valuable candidates)

"Great Place to work"

Former Employee - Logistics Manager in Plano, TX
    Former Employee - Logistics Manager in Plano, TX

I worked at Huawei Technologies full-time (More than a year)

Pros

Top pay and benefits. Must know what you are doing. Great team atmosphere

Cons

Government does not play fair with the company in the US. Got laid off due to government intervention.

Advice to Management

Bring back some of us that were dedicated to making the company a success.

11. "The best place I've worked"

Current Employee - Software Engineer in Santa Clara, CA
    Current Employee - Software Engineer in Santa Clara, CA

I have been working at Huawei Technologies full-time (Less than a year)

Pros

Work life balance was surprisingly good. Good pay. The largest and best company in telecommunications industry.

Cons

Bay area is very expensive

Showing 269 of 2,629 reviews