Huawei Technologies Reviews | Glassdoor

2,351 reviews

Full-time Part-time

2,351 Employee Reviews

Pros
Cons
  • Work-life-balance" is not really a topic to even consider (in 350 reviews)

• No work-life balance, complicated business structure (in 146 reviews)

"A good company for mid-career technical people who look for a break-out role"

Current Employee - Director in Santa Clara, CA
    Current Employee - Director in Santa Clara, CA

I have been working at Huawei Technologies full-time (More than 3 years)

Pros

- A growth company w/ a lot of room for seasoned technical people.

Huawei America research lab is rapidly growing and gaining more and more influence inside the company. Huawei is going through a stage of becoming leaders in its technical fields but has some catch-up to do. The higher-ups have realized the importance of technical expertise (especially from US) and put a lot of efforts in attracting and supporting technical leaders. For technically strong people from other established but more over-crowded companies, Huawei can be a good choice for a break-out role.

- The company's financial is very strong and the overall morale is high.

Don't underestimate the importance of a company's financial. It feels really differently when working for a company that grows in revenue vs. one that shrinks. Trust me as I've worked for more than a decade at one of the major IT company w/ 10+ consecutive quarters of revenue loss before joining Huawei. The difference is very distinct.

- The company has a very effective way of execution.

This could be a double-edged sword as wrong decisions can be done quickly too :), but overall I found it very satisfying to work where the culture is to get things done. I am especially impressed by the work ethics of the colleagues in China and marvel at the execution style (where nothing is left out of the loop). In contrast, during my years at a major industry research lab, I see all these brilliant people brainstorming new ideas but takes forever to put an idea into a prototype or to production.

Cons

- Huawei fundamentally still operates/manages like a Chinese company where centralized decisions were made and sometimes abrupt changes of policies. That could be hard for people who are used to the American company culture.

I would say if you are not flexible enough you may not survive the first year of Huawei.

- Working experiences may vary a great deal across groups

There is no uniform high standard of work satisfaction across different groups. It really depends. Some group may have high turn over, others may be thriving. It really depends on the leader of the group, how well he/she is able to align the group's work w/ company's business interests and can proactively weather the storm. So before joining Huawei, make sure to assess your leader and group well, there could be a high fluctuation of experiences.

- Negative branding/PR issue

Before I joined Huawei, I was scared by the negative PR of Huawei. So if you decide to join Huawei, there may not be the kind of Halo effect of joining some prestigious companies (but if you ever get stuck in a "prestigious" company, you know how worthless "prestige" can be unless you get out of the company). Now having worked at Huawei for over two years, overall I really like the company and couldn't care less about the negative PR.

- How long would Huawei's boom last?

Huawei is clearly going through a window of rapid growth w/ expansions into new domains such as smart devices, IoT, 5G, etc. The last couple of years have been very good (thanks to the booming smartphone business). But how long would that last (given the volatility of cellphone business and the outlook of China's economy)? Nobody can tell. I'd say join Huawei now before the boom goes away and make sure you grow on the job so that you have more career assets to move on when things go bad.

- Lack of diversity

I'd say 80% of technical people are Chinese-speaking. So it could be hard for non-Chinese speaking employee to fit in. But in general colleagues are very nice and go out of the way to help our non-Chinese speaking colleagues.

Advice to Management

- Improve the IT environment (so much productivity has been wasted)
    - Strengten the external image of Huawei (not just branding & PR, but also relationship w/ external communities, recruiting, etc)
    - Improve the diversity (we don't want to hire for the sake of diversity, but lack of diversity sometimes make us lose really valuable candidates)

"Recruiting"

Former Employee - Anonymous Employee in Santa Clara, CA
    Former Employee - Anonymous Employee in Santa Clara, CA

I worked at Huawei Technologies full-time (Less than a year)

Pros

They pay well - seriously that is the only pro.

Cons

This is probably one of the worst companies to work for. They treated us poorly, shouted, and had unrealistic demands. Processes were seriously complex with many layers of approvals. It took sometimes months to get an offer approved.

"Great Place to work"

Former Employee - Logistics Manager in Plano, TX
    Former Employee - Logistics Manager in Plano, TX

I worked at Huawei Technologies full-time (More than a year)

Pros

Top pay and benefits. Must know what you are doing. Great team atmosphere

Cons

Government does not play fair with the company in the US. Got laid off due to government intervention.

Advice to Management

Bring back some of us that were dedicated to making the company a success.

"Overlook planning, purchasing, logistics, manufacture and order management of Miami HUB."

Current Employee - Senior Supply Chain Manager in Miami, FL
    Current Employee - Senior Supply Chain Manager in Miami, FL

I have been working at Huawei Technologies full-time (More than 10 years)

Pros

Many development opportunities in this fast-growing company, which is already the Top 1 telecommunication equipment provider, and Top 3 in cellphone field, only next to Apple and Samsung.
    You can also work globally since it's already a global company since it set up the branch offices of sales, R&D centers and supply centers all over the world.
    It's also a very generous company in paying employee since most employees can share the benefit of the growth of company. It has been the most creative company in China, even one of the most creative in the world in past years.

Cons

You need work very hard. not work-life balanced very well. Not teamwork-oriented enough internally.
    Kind of out-dated HR policies.

Advice to Management

Improve out-dated HR policies ASAP and provide better employee benefit program since benefit package doesn't include income alone.

"Management with no values"

Current Employee - Solution Architect in Cupertino, CA
    Current Employee - Solution Architect in Cupertino, CA

I have been working at Huawei Technologies full-time (More than a year)

Pros

Engaged in many projects, technologies, able to meet CxOs and key decision makers.

Cons

Poor management (technical guy with some success promoted to people leading position without skills at all), narcissistic, huge amount of politics, only promoting people he can 'control' despite lack of business success compared to others. Atmosphere of fear ('how to survive skills list'). No career path for those ethical and with values unless you leave them behind.

"Manager"

Current Employee - Anonymous Employee in Dallas, TX
    Current Employee - Anonymous Employee in Dallas, TX

I have been working at Huawei Technologies full-time (More than 5 years)

Pros

Good bonus, good benefits and good coworkers

Cons

lack of management sense. Policy changes all the time.

Advice to Management

Be equal to your employees, don't treat certain colored people better than the others.

"Americans should not work for this company"

Current Employee - Marketing Manager in Plano, TX
    Current Employee - Marketing Manager in Plano, TX

Pros

Successful global company
    Pays well
    Large amount of brainless jobs in the U.S.

Cons

Not a successful U.S. company
    Poor leadership
    100% run out of China

Advice to Management

If you want to succeed in the U.S. , you need to have U.S. management or at least listen to your American employees

9. "The best place I've worked"

Current Employee - Software Engineer in Santa Clara, CA
    Current Employee - Software Engineer in Santa Clara, CA

I have been working at Huawei Technologies full-time (Less than a year)

Pros

Work life balance was surprisingly good. Good pay. The largest and best company in telecommunications industry.

Cons

Bay area is very expensive

10. "Project Manager"

Former Employee - Fiber Optic Engineer in Houston, TX
    Former Employee - Fiber Optic Engineer in Houston, TX

I worked at Huawei Technologies (More than 5 years)

Pros

a company full of new challenges where you can build up your career.

Cons

their system very strict however it's just like pushing and keep pushing environment.

11. "Intern"

Former Employee - Software Developer in Edison, NJ
    Former Employee - Software Developer in Edison, NJ

I worked at Huawei Technologies (Less than a year)

Pros

good experience and gain a lot

Cons

nothing but work too much

Showing 2,351 of 2,629 reviews