Huawei Technologies Reviews in Santa Clara, CA | Glassdoor

Rating Trends Rating Trends
Huawei Technologies President and CEO Ren Zhengfei
Ren Zhengfei

Pros
Cons
  • Work-life-balance" is not really a topic to even consider (in 338 reviews)

• No work-life balance, complicated business structure (in 140 reviews)

1. "Great to work for a successful market leader"

Current Employee - Anonymous Employee in Santa Clara, CA
    Current Employee - Anonymous Employee in Santa Clara, CA

I have been working at Huawei Technologies full-time

Pros

Huawei is giant in the telecom industry. The company is doing all the right things to emerge as the market leader in multiple market segments. This is possible largely by attracting, rewarding and retaining top talent, which Huawei is very good at managing. Being part of Huawei presents so many opportunities for continued learning and growth. I like the prospect of working for a successful company where performance is the yardstick for reward, but budgets never are a constraint. The culture and core value of Huawei put the customer at the helm. Huawei is also an equal opportunity employer with a very competitive compensation and benefits.

Cons

This is applicable to the US divisions: even though there is enough local autonomy, HQ can be intrusive in creating operational hurdles and bottlenecks. This is probably true of all US-headquarter global companies, but difficult to digest when at the receiving end.

Advice to Management

To attract local talent, especially the millenials, it is critical to focus on brand equity. The Huawei brand lacks presence in the US, so pay attention to enhance image perception in order to become a desirable employer.

"Engineer"

Current Employee - Engineer in Santa Clara, CA
    Current Employee - Engineer in Santa Clara, CA

I have been working at Huawei Technologies full-time (More than a year)

Pros

1. Pay is good
    2. HR is helpful

Cons

1. DO NOT join this company in USA, especially if you are on H1B. They have a history of hiring people and firing them once the project is done. If you are on H1B, it can jeopardize your career. For GC and US Citizens, only reason you can work for this company is if they pay you well above the market compensation levels, but even then it is not worth it because of reasons stated below. Many companies are paying similar and not abusing their employees.
    2. Poor Management. No peer technical discussion. Managers will ask you to create a project plan assuming multiple resources available. Then they will not provide the resource, and use the project plan that you created to track you back, under totally unrealistic deadlines. Managers will provide wrong directions and hold you responsible for their incorrect decision making.
    3. Lack of work ethics/decorum: Managers will pretend that they are doing you a favor by paying you more than people employed in China. They openly say in meetings that “you are paid 5x compared to Chinese employees so you should work 5x more”. No effort estimate will be done for the work. You will go to meetings and they will review the items not done and humiliate you for what is not done. Again, I have been told, “I don’t care how it will be done or how many hours is needed, it needs to be done in 2 days”. They will formally track your progress against an unrealistic schedule, probably because they would need this documentation for legal purposes when people are fired
    4. Lack of power in US: Most decisions are made in China HQ. So your manager will blame you if your group missed a bug. Everyone higher up blames people down the hierarchy to save their jobs . Your manager will expose your weakness and hide your strength, so that if some thing wrong happens, they can blame and fire you while retaining their own job. This is true whether you are a manager or an employee.
    5. Poor infrastructure: IT infrastructure is poor. Compute resource is limited. Too much restriction in accessing documents etc causes loss in productivity.
    6. Zero Training: Forget about training sessions. You will not learn anything because there are no training videos, poor documentation and even zero discussion.
    7. Competition over co-operation: Managers here promote a culture of competition over co-operation. China folks don’t trust US folks and vice versa. Everyone in US wants to be manager, no one wants to work
    8. Communication problem + time zone issues: You will have to work with China folks starting from 7pm. Most of them don’t understand English properly
    9. Lack of diversity: Practically zero female engineers and less than 10% non-chinese people
    10. Cafeteria: food sucks

"Issues with organization, culture, language & support"

Former Employee - Anonymous Employee in Santa Clara, CA

I worked at Huawei Technologies (More than a year)

Pros

Company looking to develop leading technology and advance their global standing.

Cons

Some business rules made little sense and often get in the way of progress.
    Significant culture class and in some cases English language challenges.
    Large complex organization with US operations lacking support from upper and middle management.
    Business Units compete with each other, instead of working together to solve customer problems.
    Discrimination - only Chinese can participate in company stock or equity.

Advice to Management

Learn how to develop internal innovation or how to acquire and successfully integrate it.

"Senior Software Engineer"

Former Contractor - Senior Software Engineer in Santa Clara, CA
    Former Contractor - Senior Software Engineer in Santa Clara, CA

I worked at Huawei Technologies as a contractor (Less than a year)

Pros

hard to find good points

Cons

The manager never trust any team member, he want us work over time but would not like pay us. he do not know the technical details, he do not know the time need to get things done and think it fro granted and push us every day by false deadline, he is not honest man. his solution in mose case does not work. but he do not care how we implement it, he only want it in a impossible limited time. the workstation is very old 2010 bought only 2G memory.
    Not all managers in Huawei are same like this one. This project started 3 years ago. but before I left the team still has not be build up. None would like work there for more that 3 months. 3 members had left before I left. I am the last engineer there.

"Anything But An Equal Opportunity Employer"

Former Employee - Anonymous Employee in Santa Clara, CA

I worked at Huawei Technologies full-time (More than a year)

Pros

Biggest brand in the market
    Pay is good, way above average
    Locations tend to be very good worldwide
    Attracted a lot of Cisco's previous employees due to their recent lay off, so some smart people there

Cons

Let's start with a previous review stating that Huawei is an equal opportunity employer. Whoever wrote that probably is now struggling to hire talents for the company so he/she had to say nice things about this company...

All recruitment plans are controlled by the HQ in China, and they are the most racist, sexist, and ageist I've ever encountered in my career. Denying any application of colored people has been their usual practice even in London and Santa Clara. There are some Indians working here in Santa Clara, but they are trying very hard to hire as few as possible going forward.

Local Chinese who work in HQ are very good at playing a game called: 'ohhh I'm so busy this job is killing me but first, let me take a 2 hour nap after lunch. ' If you want to know the full picture of what locals they tend to hire, go to Quora. Sadly, they're also the ones more valued by the company.

If you're younger than 40, and still aspired to make a career for yourself, do not join this company.

If you're older than 40, providing for a family of 4-5, income matters a lot and you don't mind office politics in a Chinese company, and good at being a 'yes-man', then might as well. After all, the pay is alright. Although be aware, they also can find any reason to fire you in a blink of an eye.

Advice to Management

None. Guess that's how it's supposed to be done. So called wolf culture. Did I mention that when you join, you also need to 'study' the CEO's speeches? Yep, that's your orientation right there. Idolize him or you're out.

"Intern"

Former Intern - Anonymous Intern in Santa Clara, CA
    Former Intern - Anonymous Intern in Santa Clara, CA

I worked at Huawei Technologies as an intern (Less than a year)

Pros

The hourly pay is decent as compared to the bay area companies. You also get to work on some latest technologies.

Cons

Lack of teamwork and communication within the team.
    Need more focused goals for the team. Poor facilities in terms of food.

"strong Chinese culture"

Former Employee - Anonymous Employee in Santa Clara, CA

I worked at Huawei Technologies (Less than a year)

Pros

good co-workers, good reputation in China

Cons

headquarter controls almost everything, local managers need to improve a lot on management skills, long working hours

9. "openstack engineer"

Current Contractor - OpenStack Engineer in Santa Clara, CA
    Current Contractor - OpenStack Engineer in Santa Clara, CA

I have been working at Huawei Technologies as a contractor (Less than a year)

Pros

Friendly environment, They treat employees like grown-ups. They share information with employees, listen to their ideas (or better yet, actively seek out and act upon their ideas) and assume they are responsible enough to manage their own time.

Cons

Prefers chinies, project deadlines, work timings

Advice to Management

To give more full time opertunities

"network engineer intern"

Current Employee - Network Engineer in Santa Clara, CA
    Current Employee - Network Engineer in Santa Clara, CA

I have been working at Huawei Technologies part-time (Less than a year)

Pros

A good team. Nice people here. Nice team building. Nice working environment and a nice gym.

Cons

Most people are Chinese so most of the leisure time they speaks mandarin, hard to understand for foreign people.

Advice to Management

Hire more foreign people to make Huawei more international and open.

"A good company for mid-career technical people who look for a break-out role"

Current Employee - Director in Santa Clara, CA
    Current Employee - Director in Santa Clara, CA

I have been working at Huawei Technologies full-time (More than 3 years)

Pros

- A growth company w/ a lot of room for seasoned technical people.

Huawei America research lab is rapidly growing and gaining more and more influence inside the company. Huawei is going through a stage of becoming leaders in its technical fields but has some catch-up to do. The higher-ups have realized the importance of technical expertise (especially from US) and put a lot of efforts in attracting and supporting technical leaders. For technically strong people from other established but more over-crowded companies, Huawei can be a good choice for a break-out role.

- The company's financial is very strong and the overall morale is high.

Don't underestimate the importance of a company's financial. It feels really differently when working for a company that grows in revenue vs. one that shrinks. Trust me as I've worked for more than a decade at one of the major IT company w/ 10+ consecutive quarters of revenue loss before joining Huawei. The difference is very distinct.

- The company has a very effective way of execution.

This could be a double-edged sword as wrong decisions can be done quickly too :), but overall I found it very satisfying to work where the culture is to get things done. I am especially impressed by the work ethics of the colleagues in China and marvel at the execution style (where nothing is left out of the loop). In contrast, during my years at a major industry research lab, I see all these brilliant people brainstorming new ideas but takes forever to put an idea into a prototype or to production.

Cons

- Huawei fundamentally still operates/manages like a Chinese company where centralized decisions were made and sometimes abrupt changes of policies. That could be hard for people who are used to the American company culture.

I would say if you are not flexible enough you may not survive the first year of Huawei.

- Working experiences may vary a great deal across groups

There is no uniform high standard of work satisfaction across different groups. It really depends. Some group may have high turn over, others may be thriving. It really depends on the leader of the group, how well he/she is able to align the group's work w/ company's business interests and can proactively weather the storm. So before joining Huawei, make sure to assess your leader and group well, there could be a high fluctuation of experiences.

- Negative branding/PR issue

Before I joined Huawei, I was scared by the negative PR of Huawei. So if you decide to join Huawei, there may not be the kind of Halo effect of joining some prestigious companies (but if you ever get stuck in a "prestigious" company, you know how worthless "prestige" can be unless you get out of the company). Now having worked at Huawei for over two years, overall I really like the company and couldn't care less about the negative PR.

- How long would Huawei's boom last?

Huawei is clearly going through a window of rapid growth w/ expansions into new domains such as smart devices, IoT, 5G, etc. The last couple of years have been very good (thanks to the booming smartphone business). But how long would that last (given the volatility of cellphone business and the outlook of China's economy)? Nobody can tell. I'd say join Huawei now before the boom goes away and make sure you grow on the job so that you have more career assets to move on when things go bad.

- Lack of diversity

I'd say 80% of technical people are Chinese-speaking. So it could be hard for non-Chinese speaking employee to fit in. But in general colleagues are very nice and go out of the way to help our non-Chinese speaking colleagues.

Advice to Management

- Improve the IT environment (so much productivity has been wasted)
    - Strengten the external image of Huawei (not just branding & PR, but also relationship w/ external communities, recruiting, etc)
    - Improve the diversity (we don't want to hire for the sake of diversity, but lack of diversity sometimes make us lose really valuable candidates)

Showing 47 of 2,563 reviews