Hudl Reviews | Glassdoor

Updated February 10, 2019

3.9
David Graff

Sort: PopularRatingDate

Pros
  • "Flexible with your school schedule, free lunch, snacks and coffee" (in 18 reviews)

• "There's great benefits that come along with being a hudlie and the trust you're given to do your job and do it well is very freeing" (in 9 reviews)

Cons
  • "The values seem to be great values that work for the upper management (who have known each other for 15" (in 4 reviews)

• "Typical growing pains with startup" (in 3 reviews)

1. "The Perfect Combo of Sport+Tech"

Current Employee - Product Consultant in Lincoln, NE
    Current Employee - Product Consultant in Lincoln, NE

I have been working at Hudl full-time (More than 3 years)

Pros

Incredible benefits, family friendly, involved in the community, helps grow your career through professional development.

Cons

Not many, can be difficult to get "high-end" salary with the great benefits package.

2. "Good Place, Good People, Good Perks"

I have been working at Hudl full-time

Pros

- Amazing benefits (unlimited vacation, daily lunch provided in certain offices, generous continuous learning stipend, stipend to see one of Hudl's professional customer's games, flexible hours, etc.)
    - Constant collaboration with team members
    - Definitely valued as an employee and team member
    - Every employee has a voice and your opinion and views are wanted
    - Culture is work hard, play hard
    - Employees become very close friends and family
    - Fun work atmosphere
    - HQ office is one of the most astounding work offices available in Lincoln, if not the best
    - It's awesome working with coaches who speak the same language as those who are creating the products and services they are using on a daily basis
    - The products are top-notch

Cons

- Many changes occur over short periods of time
    - Processes are difficult to implement and hold people accountable for
    - Accountability can lack in certain departments
    - Young professional atmosphere leads to the company lacking seasoned and experienced management and leadership
    - Difficult to prioritize many pieces and parts often moving at once
    - Transparency into other department initiatives that might affect your team is not always clear

Advice to Management

Hudl could benefit from hiring more seasoned professionals who can bring experience and processes to Hudl, which we currently lack. Moving people around often within the company rather than hiring from the outside means there is a lack of expertise brought in from experience in other companies..

3. "Great place - finding scale"

I worked at Hudl full-time

Pros

Great people that are genuinely fun, smart and good to work alongside. A clear mission with great perks and a really good atmosphere. They're tackling the challenges and investing in their people.

Cons

Middle management doesn't always have the experience it should for a company of that size. They're learning but need support and accountability.

Advice to Management

- Continue investing in your people. You're doing great work.
    - Train, support and hold middle management accountable.

Jan 8, 2019 – Director, Talent & Culture

Thanks for this review. I agree with many of your points and glad to hear you had a good experience while working at Hudl. As you likely know, we are always looking at ways to improve and appreciate... More

"The people, the product, the industry, the mission - tons of reasons to love working at Hudl"

Current Employee - Anonymous Employee in Boston, MA
    Current Employee - Anonymous Employee in Boston, MA

I have been working at Hudl full-time (More than 3 years)

Pros

I never meet someone at Hudl and think "How did you get a job here?" We have really smart people who care a ton about the work they're doing. Something unique to Hudl is everyones' willingness to teach and help each other learn and get better. We're global so we have the challenges you'd expect with distributed teams but we're set up with the tools we need to build genuine relationships with people across all geographies. My entire team sits in different cities but we have really strong relationships nonetheless.

Cons

We move really fast which brings frequent change. Sometimes the rate at which we make big decisions can be dizzying.

Nov 12, 2018

Thank you so much for your review! You're right - we move quickly and we're really focused on ensuring that we have the right strategy and communication behind our decisions, so we appreciate your... More

"Fun place to work with some gotchas"

Current Employee - Software Engineer in Provo, UT
    Current Employee - Software Engineer in Provo, UT

I have been working at Hudl full-time (More than a year)

Pros

* I'm a sports enthusiast, so I find the work really interesting! I love what I do.
    * There are some really talented people working here at Hudl, and I enjoy getting to work with them.
    * Unlimited vacation hours - essentially you take off what you need and don't have to worry about keeping track of vacation days. They still monitor how much time you take off to make sure it doesn't go over an unknown threshold (they haven't publicized the threshold), but most responsible people are just fine.
    * Really generous paid maternity / paternity leave.
    * Free meals are provided to some of the office locations.

Cons

* The pay is in the middle. When they hire you they tell you that they try to keep their salaries within the 75% percentile of market wages. In my experience, this has not been true. Their wages tend to be closer to the 50% percentile. It's a fun place to work, but the fun-ness of the workplace can't make up for a significant pay cut.
    * Upper management always says that they are listening, but generally never do. One of Hudl's core principles is real talk - meaning respectful, straightforward, productive talk that cuts out the BS and gets to the point in a respectful way. They tout this principle like it's gospel, and for the most part lower and mid-level employees respect it, but it doesn't work with anyone that's higher up. You can tell them what you think in a respectfully blunt manner, but nothing changes. I understand that this is common at a lot of companies with bureaucracy, but I thought it would be fixed at Hudl since they seemed to focus on this type of clear communication so much.

Aug 27, 2018

Thank you so much for your review! We sincerely appreciate your feedback and will take it to heart!

6. "Hudl Review"

Current Employee - Support Specialist in Lincoln, NE
    Current Employee - Support Specialist in Lincoln, NE

I have been working at Hudl full-time (More than a year)

Pros

Unlimited Vacation
    Professional Development Fund
    Technology Stipend
    Amazing Team
    Free Lunch

Cons

A Little Stressful During Season

Aug 27, 2018

Thank you for your review! We're thrilled that you're happy to be a part of the Hudl Family!

7. "Awesome Company"

Current Employee - Territory Manager in Lincoln, NE
    Current Employee - Territory Manager in Lincoln, NE

I have been working at Hudl full-time (More than 5 years)

Pros

Free lunch, unlimited vacation, pro-day

Cons

I don't have a negative thing to say about Hudl.

Advice to Management

None

Aug 27, 2018

Thank you so much for your review! We're thankful to have you as part of the Hudl Family!

"Great company to work for!"

Current Employee - Anonymous Employee in Lincoln, NE

I have been working at Hudl full-time (Less than a year)

Pros

-Benefits (the basics for low premiums including retirement plans)
    -Perks (Free lunch daily, HQ building, Trip stipends, department and company outings, unlimited (truly) vacation, flexibility)
    -Always encouraged to keep learning, growing and advancing in what you are passionate about
    -Relaxed atmosphere with the ability to sit and work anywhere in the office, we don't have assigned desks

Cons

Salary--could be a lot more competitive

Aug 27, 2018

Thank you so much for your review! We're happy to have you as part of the Hudl Family! We appreciate your feedback and will take it to heart!

"A great reason to get of of bed everyday....."

I have been working at Hudl full-time (More than 3 years)

Pros

- People are amazing
    - Opportunity to move to different areas and find what you are good at and passionate about
    - When you are tasked with a problem you are trusted to solve them
    -Everyday is something new and challenging in the very best way

Cons

- Sometimes your suggestions go ignored until someone else higher up has the exact same idea 3 months too late.
    - Sales team can go rouge and sell promises we havent made yet, then that puts the dev team in a tight spot

Advice to Management

Promote the most qualified people not just those who are here longest.

May 8, 2018

Thank you so much for your review! We appreciate your honest assessment of where we can get better and we'll definitely take this insight to heart!!

"Incredible Supportive Environment"

I have been working at Hudl full-time (Less than a year)

Pros

-Huge amount of support for growth through apprenticeships, "Hudl Works Smarter" funding that can be used for conferences/classes, understanding and encouragement around moves to other roles/departments, and internal mentorship.
    -Very women-friendly environment. Solid parental leave policies, flexibility and understanding for parents. There is a task force focused inclusivity efforts. Women's contributions and opinions on the product team are respected and valued.
    -Interesting problems to solve, and a deep focus on the user.
    -Ongoing desire to improve and grow both as a company and as individuals.
    -You'll work with some of the smartest and most talented people you've ever met, who want you to succeed as well.
    -Accountability and transparency around leadership decisions.
    -Unlimited PTO.

Cons

-Health and fitness of employees isn't as much of a focus as one would expect at a company that serves sports and athletes. Lunch nutritional information isn't available, no fitness related benefits. (Monthly health insurance premiums are an exception to this con, those are covered.)

May 8, 2018

Thank you so much for your review! This is really helpful insight and we're thankful you shared your perspective!