Hudl Reviews | Glassdoor

Full-timePart-time

3.9
David Graff

Sort: PopularRatingDate

Pros
  • "free lunch, coffee and drinks, a computer, working at HQ in downtown Lincoln, and a flexible schedule with the ability to work from home" (in 15 reviews)

• "There's great benefits that come along with being a hudlie and the trust you're given to do your job and do it well is very freeing" (in 7 reviews)

Cons
  • "Upper management always says that they are listening, but generally never do" (in 4 reviews)

• "If you're looking to convert to full-time, it's easy to end up overworking yourself, but this is true for any company" (in 3 reviews)

1. "Hudl Review"

Current Employee - Support Specialist in Lincoln, NE
    Current Employee - Support Specialist in Lincoln, NE

I have been working at Hudl full-time (More than a year)

Pros

Unlimited Vacation
    Professional Development Fund
    Technology Stipend
    Amazing Team
    Free Lunch

Cons

A Little Stressful During Season

Aug 27, 2018

Thank you for your review! We're thrilled that you're happy to be a part of the Hudl Family!

"Real Talk"

Former Employee - Sales
    Former Employee - Sales

I worked at Hudl full-time

Pros

--Lunch is factored into your overall compensation (around $2,100 in value). It is not “free,” but it is something you can count on each day. Food was diverse and usually good.

--Healthcare premiums are covered for employees and subsidized for the employee's family.

--Pro trip offers a unique experience to watch a client's game/match. Hudl pays $400 for a flight and cover $150 in ticket fees.

--A majority of people are mature and want the best for you - and encourage your development (although it will fall on deaf ears if they are not in your management tree)

Cons

--Nepotism permeates most departments, although this may have been hard to avoid considering the company's beginnings. However, continued elevation of employees who fail to meet basic expectations of their current role is a concern.

With regards to the sales department specifically, there are red flags to make known for people considering applying or joining Hudl.

--It's clear the team is afraid and fearful of senior leadership - who seem more concerned with inflating titles than developing their people.

--Job expectations are not clear/defined. The best way to describe it is aiming for a moving target.

--Raising valid concerns surrounding sales team processes or suggesting a more efficient way of doing things will put a target on your back - even if your direct manager agrees with your ideas. "Real talk" (a Hudl value) will be detrimental to you if you say it to the wrong person. The timid advocacy from sales managers for their team members is worrying - and frankly, it's absent.

--Decisions are made hastily with a mindset of "we will fix it/cover it up later if this causes issues."

--Most sales teams in companies have a "we keep the lights on" mentality. And to a certain degree that is true - but every department can make a version of that claim. Within Hudl sales however, this mindset has morphed into a delusion of grandeur that drives an arrogance the rest of the company feels. And it damages crucial relationships between sales and other departments.

--Team members are encouraged to have a "keep your head down" mentality if you aren't friends with senior leadership.

Hudl will serve you as a place to learn what you do and don't want out of a career. You will meet great, hard-working people from various departments. I can recommend Hudl with a strong disclaimer: the sales side of Hudl is toxic and they do not adhere to the same core values as the rest of the company. Unfortunately, that department is led by inducing fear and ambiguity to try and steer behavior. And that is why talented people are leaving.

Oct 22, 2018

Thank you so much for taking the time to write this review. As you're likely aware, we've grown quickly and that growth has been exciting. We've been focused on maintaining the spirit and culture of... More

"Fun place to work with some gotchas"

Current Employee - Software Engineer in Provo, UT
    Current Employee - Software Engineer in Provo, UT

I have been working at Hudl full-time (More than a year)

Pros

* I'm a sports enthusiast, so I find the work really interesting! I love what I do.
    * There are some really talented people working here at Hudl, and I enjoy getting to work with them.
    * Unlimited vacation hours - essentially you take off what you need and don't have to worry about keeping track of vacation days. They still monitor how much time you take off to make sure it doesn't go over an unknown threshold (they haven't publicized the threshold), but most responsible people are just fine.
    * Really generous paid maternity / paternity leave.
    * Free meals are provided to some of the office locations.

Cons

* The pay is in the middle. When they hire you they tell you that they try to keep their salaries within the 75% percentile of market wages. In my experience, this has not been true. Their wages tend to be closer to the 50% percentile. It's a fun place to work, but the fun-ness of the workplace can't make up for a significant pay cut.
    * Upper management always says that they are listening, but generally never do. One of Hudl's core principles is real talk - meaning respectful, straightforward, productive talk that cuts out the BS and gets to the point in a respectful way. They tout this principle like it's gospel, and for the most part lower and mid-level employees respect it, but it doesn't work with anyone that's higher up. You can tell them what you think in a respectfully blunt manner, but nothing changes. I understand that this is common at a lot of companies with bureaucracy, but I thought it would be fixed at Hudl since they seemed to focus on this type of clear communication so much.

Aug 27, 2018

Thank you so much for your review! We sincerely appreciate your feedback and will take it to heart!

4. "Awesome Company"

Current Employee - Territory Manager in Lincoln, NE
    Current Employee - Territory Manager in Lincoln, NE

I have been working at Hudl full-time (More than 5 years)

Pros

Free lunch, unlimited vacation, pro-day

Cons

I don't have a negative thing to say about Hudl.

Advice to Management

None

Aug 27, 2018

Thank you so much for your review! We're thankful to have you as part of the Hudl Family!

5. "Great company to work for!"

Current Employee - Anonymous Employee in Lincoln, NE

I have been working at Hudl full-time (Less than a year)

Pros

-Benefits (the basics for low premiums including retirement plans)
    -Perks (Free lunch daily, HQ building, Trip stipends, department and company outings, unlimited (truly) vacation, flexibility)
    -Always encouraged to keep learning, growing and advancing in what you are passionate about
    -Relaxed atmosphere with the ability to sit and work anywhere in the office, we don't have assigned desks

Cons

Salary--could be a lot more competitive

Aug 27, 2018

Thank you so much for your review! We're happy to have you as part of the Hudl Family! We appreciate your feedback and will take it to heart!

"A great reason to get of of bed everyday....."

Current Employee - Anonymous Employee in Lincoln, NE

I have been working at Hudl full-time (More than 3 years)

Pros

- People are amazing
    - Opportunity to move to different areas and find what you are good at and passionate about
    - When you are tasked with a problem you are trusted to solve them
    -Everyday is something new and challenging in the very best way

Cons

- Sometimes your suggestions go ignored until someone else higher up has the exact same idea 3 months too late.
    - Sales team can go rouge and sell promises we havent made yet, then that puts the dev team in a tight spot

Advice to Management

Promote the most qualified people not just those who are here longest.

May 8, 2018

Thank you so much for your review! We appreciate your honest assessment of where we can get better and we'll definitely take this insight to heart!!

"Incredible Supportive Environment"

I have been working at Hudl full-time (Less than a year)

Pros

-Huge amount of support for growth through apprenticeships, "Hudl Works Smarter" funding that can be used for conferences/classes, understanding and encouragement around moves to other roles/departments, and internal mentorship.
    -Very women-friendly environment. Solid parental leave policies, flexibility and understanding for parents. There is a task force focused inclusivity efforts. Women's contributions and opinions on the product team are respected and valued.
    -Interesting problems to solve, and a deep focus on the user.
    -Ongoing desire to improve and grow both as a company and as individuals.
    -You'll work with some of the smartest and most talented people you've ever met, who want you to succeed as well.
    -Accountability and transparency around leadership decisions.
    -Unlimited PTO.

Cons

-Health and fitness of employees isn't as much of a focus as one would expect at a company that serves sports and athletes. Lunch nutritional information isn't available, no fitness related benefits. (Monthly health insurance premiums are an exception to this con, those are covered.)

May 8, 2018

Thank you so much for your review! This is really helpful insight and we're thankful you shared your perspective!

"Hudl Review"

Current Employee - Video Content Producer in Lincoln, NE
    Current Employee - Video Content Producer in Lincoln, NE

I have been working at Hudl full-time (More than a year)

Pros

The people at Hudl are what makes it so special. As we continue to grow and assess our core values, they align very well with creating a fun, competitive, satisfying workplace that you find yourself very thankful to be in. There's great benefits that come along with being a hudlie and the trust you're given to do your job and do it well is very freeing.

Cons

At some positions the pay can seem low, but give all of the benefits you receive it should make up for some of that. Hudl is growing quickly and it becomes increasingly harder to feel like you're noticed in this large community. But there's a friendly face waiting to talk to you wherever you go and someone willing to help your career develop.

Advice to Management

Don't let growth, success, and industry standards dictate how you want to run the company. We've been successful because we want to raise the standard, not follow it. Stay connected with us and we'll continue to do our part.

May 8, 2018 – Snr. Recruiter

Thank you so much for this review and phenomenal advice! We agree that we strive to be a leader and will continue to put Hudlies at the center of the decisions we make. Leah

9. "Great place to work in the Sports Tech Industry!"

I have been working at Hudl full-time

Pros

Free lunch
    Good environment
    Flexible schedule

Cons

Not much. There are a lot going on at Hudl so things might get overwhelming sometimes

May 8, 2018 – Marketing Project Manager

Thank you so much for this review! We definitely move quickly, but never want Hudlies to feel overwhelmed. This is really helpful insight, so thank you for sharing your perspective.

10. "sales"

I worked at Hudl full-time

Pros

Laid back culture, nice office

Cons

unorganized, on boarding was not good, a lot of miscommunication

May 8, 2018 – Marketing Project Manager

Thank you so much for your review! We appreciate the insight you've shared and will be sure to pass it on in an effort to get better.