Hudl Employee Reviews about "hudl"

Updated Nov 9, 2021

Found 25 of over 493 reviews

3.9
Hudl CEO David Graff (no image)
David Graff

57 Comments

Tech

204.3K Members

Ask candid career questions

-1 - https://www.fishbowlapp.com/bowl/technology/posts?cf=gd&utm_medium=Glassdoor&utm_source=glassdoor.com&utm_campaign=Reviews&utm_content=Industry-content-prominent-Reviews&utm_term=Hudl~826705
Join the conversation on

Top Review Highlights by Sentiment

Pros
Cons
Pros & Cons are excerpts from user reviews. They are not authored by Glassdoor.

Ratings by Demographics

This rating reflects the overall rating of Hudl and is not affected by filters.

Want more demographic options?

Reviews about "hudl"

Return to all Reviews
  1. 5.0
    Current Employee

We're a Family

Nov 9, 2021 - Talent Acquisition in Lincoln, NE
    Business Outlook

Pros

Here at Hudl we have a few values that we live by. 'Dominate', 'We Listen', 'We're a Family', 'We Thrive on the Front Lines' and 'We're Respectfully Blunt'. While I love each of these, my favorite is 'We're a Family' and I'm lucky to be able to see it lived out every day across all of the departments that I work with. I've been at Hudl for almost four years and having such an amazing culture that is built on this value truly makes me excited to go into work everyday. Knowing that whenever I go into a meeting, am working or simply grabbing (free!) lunch with my co-workers, I know that I am valued amongst my peers. We've got a lot of awesome benefits and perks here, but at the end of the day, it's the people that make Hudl a special place to work.

Cons

At Hudl we can move at a really fast pace across all of our departments. While some people really thrive in that environment, I could see how it might not be for everyone.

2. 4.0
    Current Employee, more than 3 years

Solid company, exciting atmosphere, really good people, lots of change

Nov 8, 2021 - Education Specialist
    Business Outlook

Pros

I think Hudl is in good hands, as far as senior leadership and the board is concerned. They don't get everything right, but they're incredibly earnest. They listen and want to do the right thing. When they realize they've done something that wasn't the right thing, they don't hide it. They apologize and are willing to take the necessary steps to right their wrongs. There is a strong emphasis placed on transparency. They value their people. Hudl has an exciting atmosphere, even remotely. They've really leaned into their hybrid in-office/work from home structure, and I think they're doing a great job of keeping employees connected, even if physically apart.

Cons

As is probably true of any company its size, things at Hudl are always changing. In some ways that can be nice. Recently it has felt exhausting. Structural changes happen frequently. It has been this way the entire four years I've worked at Hudl.

3. 5.0

Work Hard Pays Off

Jul 19, 2021 - Accounte Executive in Lincoln, NE
    Business Outlook

Pros

1. Great leadership on top (CEO, COO. CPO, CFO) they are friendly and truly care for this customers. You can feel their energy when they present, they have a midwest mindset to life: work hard and welcome everyone. 2. Amazing coworkers and work environment. Very flexible during covid and they truly treat you like an adult in sales. Get your work done and you won't be micromanaged. 3. ^ Unlimited vacation, it's true. If you work hard and exceed your goals, you won't feel as guilting taking off as much time as you want. 4. Benefits are very solid. Hudl is always looking at ways to offer more to their employees. 5. Room to grow (promotions or career change within Hudl).

Cons

1. Surprised pay is not more competitive when Hudl is a top SaaS company in a market (sports market). 2. Quota gets higher and higher every year, and sometimes territory gets smaller. Less opportunities but you are expected to sell more. Guess that might be life in sales??

4. 5.0
    Current Employee, more than 3 years

Great culture, poor compensation structure

Jun 19, 2017 - Software Engineer
    Business Outlook

Pros

Hudl is a fantastic place to work, we move with real purpose towards clearly defined long term goals. Management are comfortable making bold adjustments to structure and process if it better positions us to make strides forward. By far the best thing about working at Hudl is the team of people you will get to work with. This is really a credit to hiring processes and team behind it. On top of sourcing great people, Hudl provides enough structure and support to continuously challenge yourself with short and long term goals.

Cons

Perks and generally okay but have been stripped back year on year since I started at Hudl. Compensation varies wildly between employees. Anecdotally from speaking to colleagues there seems to be around 5X pay difference for similarly experience designers in different locations and at least 3X for engineers but probably more. Pay rises and bonuses are calculated as a percentage of salary which will only widen this gap over time. Napkin math puts some full-time engineers at the lower end of the scale <$50K with a number of year exp on a pretty even footing with better interns ($22/hr * 40 hour week pro rata + accommodation) which should tell you something isn't quite right here.

10 people found this review helpful

Hudl Response

Thank you so much for your review! Your perspective is appreciated in helping us focus on the right things. We are committed to ensuring that Hudlies feel rewarded and recognized for the amazing work they do and take your comments to heart.

5. 3.0
    Current Employee, more than 1 year

Fun place to work with some gotchas

Aug 24, 2018 - Software Engineer in Provo, UT
    Business Outlook

Pros

* I'm a sports enthusiast, so I find the work really interesting! I love what I do. * There are some really talented people working here at Hudl, and I enjoy getting to work with them. * Unlimited vacation hours - essentially you take off what you need and don't have to worry about keeping track of vacation days. They still monitor how much time you take off to make sure it doesn't go over an unknown threshold (they haven't publicized the threshold), but most responsible people are just fine. * Really generous paid maternity / paternity leave. * Free meals are provided to some of the office locations.

Cons

* The pay is in the middle. When they hire you they tell you that they try to keep their salaries within the 75% percentile of market wages. In my experience, this has not been true. Their wages tend to be closer to the 50% percentile. It's a fun place to work, but the fun-ness of the workplace can't make up for a significant pay cut. * Upper management always says that they are listening, but generally never do. One of Hudl's core principles is real talk - meaning respectful, straightforward, productive talk that cuts out the BS and gets to the point in a respectful way. They tout this principle like it's gospel, and for the most part lower and mid-level employees respect it, but it doesn't work with anyone that's higher up. You can tell them what you think in a respectfully blunt manner, but nothing changes. I understand that this is common at a lot of companies with bureaucracy, but I thought it would be fixed at Hudl since they seemed to focus on this type of clear communication so much.

9 people found this review helpful

Hudl Response

Thank you so much for your review! We sincerely appreciate your feedback and will take it to heart!

6. 5.0
    Current Intern, less than 1 year

Hudl - Intern

Apr 25, 2018 - Intern in Lincoln, NE
    Business Outlook

Pros

Couldn't ask for a better pace to work as a college student here in Lincoln. Working at hudl has provided me endless opportunities to grow as a professional as well as an individual. There's not a day I've come into work feeling like I was doing "interns work" - my voice has always been heard and my opinion on new projects, different workflows, and ideas in general have always been taken into consideration. Aside from a great job the environment is incredible! I'm surrounded by people who treat me like family and challenge me day in and day out whether it be with a new project I'm taking on or rooting for me in my ping pong league game this week. Don't forget about the perks...free lunch, coffee and drinks, a computer, working at HQ in downtown Lincoln, and a flexible schedule with the ability to work from home. 10/10 would recommend.

Cons

The only downside...I kinda shot myself in the foot getting all these perks as a college student. I haven't found another company that can compete with the competitive pay, knowledge gained, employee benefits and friendly environment like Hudl does.

Director, Talent & Culture

Thanks for taking the time to write a review. We are glad to hear you are having a good internship experience filled with real-world experience.

7. 5.0
    Current Employee, more than 1 year

Hudl Review

Apr 25, 2018 - Video Content Producer in Lincoln, NE
    Business Outlook

Pros

The people at Hudl are what makes it so special. As we continue to grow and assess our core values, they align very well with creating a fun, competitive, satisfying workplace that you find yourself very thankful to be in. There's great benefits that come along with being a hudlie and the trust you're given to do your job and do it well is very freeing.

Cons

At some positions the pay can seem low, but give all of the benefits you receive it should make up for some of that. Hudl is growing quickly and it becomes increasingly harder to feel like you're noticed in this large community. But there's a friendly face waiting to talk to you wherever you go and someone willing to help your career develop.

1 person found this review helpful

Snr. Recruiter

Thank you so much for this review and phenomenal advice! We agree that we strive to be a leader and will continue to put Hudlies at the center of the decisions we make. Leah

8. 2.0
    Former Employee, more than 1 year

Don't ignore culture fit when job searching

Mar 30, 2018 - Anonymous Employee
    Business Outlook

Pros

Everyone is really at the top of their game at whichever role they're in. This is because their hiring process is the best I've ever seen. You're not going to be able to just cruise through it by getting the interviewer(s) to like you.

Cons

I hated most every day I came into Hudl because I didn't fit in culturally. The culture is great for tech bros and people just wanting to extend college into their late 30s. The culture revolves around drinking, video games, partying, and food. It wasn't really my scene. They don't seem to actually believe the values that the constantly profess. #realtalk can cross some unknown line and you can be punished for it. They definitely don't treat every one like a family. The values seem to be great values that work for the upper management (who have known each other for 15+ years) but they don't realize that they can't be implemented the same way for everyone else. Maybe it's gotten better since I was there, but their response to getting a more diverse workforce was pretty poor. Just saying "it was a pipeline problem" and not doing enough to improve it.

8 people found this review helpful

Hudl Response

Thank you so much for your review. We are so sorry you didn't enjoy your experience at Hudl. We are committed to our values and believe in living them every day. Our culture is grounded in creating a fun, energetic environment to create and sell amazing products. While we do have video games and sometimes have beer at the office, those things are not central to who we are. We are always committed to getting better and we appreciate you sharing your perspective so we can focus on ensuring every Hudlie feels like part of our Hudlie family.

9. 3.0
    Former Employee, more than 1 year

Great benefits and environment but poor pay.

Apr 9, 2019 - Customer Support Specialist in Lincoln, NE
    Business Outlook

Pros

The benefits is definitely what gets talent through the door at Hudl. They have unlimited vacation, amazing healthcare, 401k matching up to 4%, a yearly pro trip on the companies dime, great work environment and the product that they produce is very cool.

Cons

Despite the the great benefits and environment to work on, Hudl is one of the worst paying jobs in Nebraska. They used these benefit perks to justify the lower pay. Recently, they have been expanding tremendously and with that, profitability has taken over the need to value their employees. Especially in the sales department, they are expanding and such a great pace to try and take over the market, it gets to the point where they don't care who is with them when they achieve their goals, but as long as they get there.

5 people found this review helpful

Director, Talent & Culture

Thank you for the honest feedback, we will take it to heart as we continue to grow as a company. We are happy to hear that you enjoyed the benefits that we provide for our employees and that you are a fan of our product!

10. 5.0
    Current Employee

1 year in, still having the time of my life.

Aug 16, 2015 -
    Business Outlook

Pros

A truly product-focused company w/ a big vision and a lot of work being done to make working here awesome. There are a lot of things companies can throw at you (salary, stock, crazy benefits, etc), but they all eventually loose their luster. What attracts and keeps top talent is working with amazing people, working on challenging problems, and being trusted to solve them(no micro-managing). I get all of those here.

Cons

Growing pains. Sometimes as we add new roles/divisions, there is little process around it. This is a problem that isn't unique to Hudl, it's just part of hypergrowth.

7 people found this review helpful

Hudl Response

Thank you so much for your review. We are incredibly thankful you're loving your time at Hudl and hope you have a long and successful career here!!

Viewing 1 - 10 of 25 Reviews