Hudson Group Reviews | Glassdoor

2.5
Rating Trends Rating Trends
Joseph (Joe) DiDomizio

Pros
Cons
  • low pay in comparison to requirements (in 7 reviews)

• Upper management has no idea what all the employees do (in 7 reviews)

1. "My Experience at Hudson Group"

Current Employee - Stock/Cashier in Morrisville, NC
    Current Employee - Stock/Cashier in Morrisville, NC

Pros

The people and fellow co-workers are helpful, understanding, and nice. My friend was able to help me get a job at Hudson, so your connections are definitely a useful tool if you want to join this company.

Cons

Management and communication on part of the employees can be improved. It is good, but it can be better. Staffing issues are a problem and there are work days in which the stores are under-staffed and employees do not show up. Communication and business cohesion can be improved, but it must come from both sides.

Advice to Management

I would say keep up the good work! The company is growing and becoming more important. It is definitely important to keep growing and hiring more employees who are qualified and competent enough to complete essential tasks.

Also, be more upfront with the employees about their concerns, mostly in one-on-one dialogue. It is better to confront issues face-to-face instead of email or text message. Directness between employees and supervisor is definitely a priority.

"Very Outdated"

Current Employee - Sales Associate/Cashier in Los Angeles, CA
    Current Employee - Sales Associate/Cashier in Los Angeles, CA

I have been working at Hudson Group full-time (More than 3 years)

Pros

Secure job for being in retail

Cons

--Company uses outdated technology. You have to manually (by hand) count out your cash drawers and write the totals on a piece of paper ..who does that anymore?
    --If a customer wants to exchange an item, a manager has to fully return an item (no such thing as exchanges).
    --Scheduling changes constantly without proper communication that your schedule was changed (a manager will just randomly post a new schedule on the wall and assume you will know that it changed).
    --Manager schedules are not posted so you never know when managers are at work so that you may talk to them. Don't know why the company practices this policy. It seems to be a secret.
    --For being a multibillion dollar company you would think they would purchase name brand quality cleaning supplies for their stores but they don't. Cheap, generic supplies (not even industrial strength).
    --Constantly understaffed by employees calling out on a daily basis which always makes us understaffed and stressed out.
    --Company frowns on taking time off if you don't have enough vacation accrued. If you don't have enough vacation hours you can pretty much assume you won't be able to go on vacation even if it's unpaid time off.

Advice to Management

--Hire more employees. Even if your over on payroll it pays off because productivity decreases when you don't have enough workers. When this happens then you make less money. Hence you don't loose money in the airport world by overstaffing. Work smarter, not harder.
    --Update your register systems and technology. This is 2017 not 1999. Just because the technology works doesn't mean that there isn't opportunity to upgrade.
    --Stop being so frugal with expenses and invest in your employees.

"Mis - Managed and favoritism uck! Otherwise fun.."

Current Employee - Sales Associate in Los Angeles, CA
    Current Employee - Sales Associate in Los Angeles, CA

I have been working at Hudson Group full-time (More than 5 years)

Pros

pay ok
    benefits
    family like co workers
    vacation
    meet people from everywhere

Cons

Management lies to make it in their favor.
    parking
    standing all day
    shortage of employee help
    support from management

Advice to Management

Be honest and fair. Dont try to make it HRs fault.

4. "Hudson employe review on date"

Current Employee - Retail Sales Representative in Fort Lauderdale, FL
    Current Employee - Retail Sales Representative in Fort Lauderdale, FL

I have been working at Hudson Group full-time

Pros

Health insurance, 1 week paid vacations

Cons

parking, schedule, managment (almost none of them know what they are doing), messy work place

5. "Worst management ever"

Current Employee - Cashier in North Las Vegas, NV
    Current Employee - Cashier in North Las Vegas, NV

I have been working at Hudson Group full-time (Less than a year)

Pros

none even the managers complain all the time

Cons

No communication, inexperienced HR who wines about being overwhelmed. No interview skills. HR and store manager just complain about company non stop.

Advice to Management

get some experienced management out here who can do the job and set a stronger example to lead by

"Great Company But,,,,,,"

Former Employee - Electronics Sales Associate/Merchandiser in Las Vegas, NV
    Former Employee - Electronics Sales Associate/Merchandiser in Las Vegas, NV

I worked at Hudson Group full-time (More than 3 years)

Pros

Great company to work for!
    Union (depends on location)
    Benefits
    Full-Time
    Diversity

Cons

The only reason why I left was because I couldn't get any opportunity to move after 4 almost 5 years being with the company.
    Work/Life Balance is horrible
    Favoritism should NEVER HAPPEN!
    Hard work get you nowhere

Advice to Management

1.I would advise the management to really pay attention and allow people to move up in the company I personally came across a few of my Co-Worker that have some amazing ideas and truly hard workers.
    2.Avoid manager's that ACT like they care about the company (only when the big bosses come around) but truly they really don't care at all about the organization at all.
    3.To keep it simple better leadership when it comes to store management.

7. "Cashier"

Current Employee - Anonymous Employee in Phoenix, AZ
    Current Employee - Anonymous Employee in Phoenix, AZ

I have been working at Hudson Group full-time (More than 8 years)

Pros

Regular hours, benefits offered, bus/train reimbursement if needed. Nice co-workers. Busy airport atmosphere.

Cons

Busy airport atmosphere. No bonuses. Not the concern for employees like what undercover boss leads you to believe. Lost vacation/sick time. Small raises, it's like they don't want to keep employees for too too long. Co-workers are always getting sick.

Advice to Management

GM at PHX could be a bit more respectful to employees, less condescending, more nice!!!

"Too much stress for the money"

Former Employee - Shift Supervisor in Charleston, SC
    Former Employee - Shift Supervisor in Charleston, SC

I worked at Hudson Group full-time (More than 8 years)

Pros

Vacation, health benefits, getting to meet people from all over, 20% discount, five sick days a year, lots of experiences good and bad

Cons

Long hours, short staffed, call outs, you may or may not get to take your vacation "due to business" or whoever decides to take it off first, can't always use your sick days

Advice to Management

My advice to corporate management would be to take more of an active interest in their locations more than they do and appreciate their employees more than they do. People were hired after I was that came in making more than I did, more than I was when I was a supervisor, that's highly unfair and causes unnecessary drama in the work place. Management (at store level) a lot of times were too busy doing other, unneeded paperwork to appease their bosses and couldn't be on the floor or in the location like they needed. Not only that, they rarely got support from the corporate office because they were too busy trying to make everyone happy and failing in most areas. There's too much favoritism and hardly any enforcement of anything. If a location or their GM was the favorite, it was obvious and they were treated as such. I was employed there for a lot of years and I saw a lot of things, most of it would be avoidable if corporate management took a more active and less of an attacking role in their locations.

The hiring pool in a lot of areas isn't the best in the world, so in order to fully staff stores you have to hire and keep people that don't want to work, they just want a paycheck. And depending on the situation, they flaunt that attitude openly and freely without care. Management at store level tends to shy away from rectifying the problem because they are afraid of retaliation either on the part of the employee or the corporate office. The whole organization from the top down is disorganized. It would be a wonderful place to work if instead of pointing fingers and blaming, the highest levels of management would take a look at themselves first and realize that the entire thing trickles down from them.

"Worse management ever"

Former Employee - Sales Supervisor in Tampa, FL
    Former Employee - Sales Supervisor in Tampa, FL

I worked at Hudson Group full-time (Less than a year)

Pros

None worse company to work for get out while you can
    Not a good company to work for. Bad experience all around

Cons

They fire you with out any reason, no communication
    Worse company to work for. The whole company needs to be restructured. From top to bottom

Advice to Management

Start treating people with respect. How could you give
    Great customer service when you don't even care about
    Your employees

"Sale associate"

Former Employee - Anonymous Employee in East Elmhurst, NY
    Former Employee - Anonymous Employee in East Elmhurst, NY

I worked at Hudson Group full-time (Less than a year)

Pros

20% of all items
    Weekly pay
    Learn to be a leader and work alone
    You meet new people
    Learn to self train and train

Cons

Poor management
    Favoritism with manager and employee
    Not a lot of perks
    Bad attitude
    No team work
    Early hours and late hours going home
    Work overtime not worth it they dont pay good with overtime
    All the new people you train or see leave less than 3 months or before a year

Advice to Management

Hire more diverse people