Huffington Post Reviews | Glassdoor

3.6
Rating Trends Rating Trends
Jared Grusd
1 Rating

Pros
  • Great freelance rate, free food and drinks- high quality work environment (in 7 reviews)

• Competitive salaries, free bagels, nap rooms, tech environment (in 5 reviews)

Cons
  • Pile a lot on your plate, often doing work on weekends, low pay for high amount of work (24 hrs/wk) (in 7 reviews)

• There are many arbitrary changes happening all the time and there is no work-life balance (in 4 reviews)

1. "Strong Engineering Team"

Current Employee - Director of Engineering in New York, NY
    Current Employee - Director of Engineering in New York, NY

I have been working at Huffington Post full-time (More than 3 years)

Pros

Highly skilled team of engineers works quickly to deliver and iterate on offerings.

Cons

compensation is not as competitive as other companies in the industry

2. "Good"

I worked at Huffington Post full-time

Pros

lots of flexibility in the work place

Cons

no cons that I can think of

3. "Editor"

Former Employee - Editor in New York, NY
    Former Employee - Editor in New York, NY

I worked at Huffington Post full-time (Less than a year)

Pros

Dynamic projects; some editors were great to work with; opportunities to expand your own network; the chance to work on social media strategies; etc.

Cons

Management is awful and the amount of passive aggression from people in higher power is very difficult to navigate and gain any concrete lessons in, apart from learning that passive aggressive people can't be worked with efficiently. Work-life balance is off.

Advice to Management

Hire people who know how to manage others without becoming exasperated.

5. "I'd give 3.5 stars if it was an option b/c 3 is too few and 4 is too many"

I worked at Huffington Post full-time

Pros

They're on the cutting edge of social journalism (or at least they were until recently, they've slid down a few notches in the past couple years to places like BuzzFeed, etc). They're also very flexible when it comes to letting you pursue your passions within the company. Last but not least, you have a HUGE readership for your work. Literally millions of people a month will see what you produce. That's flattering--and great experience.

Cons

The pay has historically been very low. The young, ambitious folks who make the site run get paid pretty lame salaries while the fancy big-name execs the company brings in from other places like the NYT or Bloomberg get paid HUGE salaries for doing half the work. Also the work environment can be pretty toxic, a lot of people there are very liberal in a judgmental way (i.e. if you disagree with them you're WRONG and they'll hold it against you). There were also a lot of overly-ambitious types who would flaunt themselves in the newsroom and distract the rest of us; they tended to fizzle out pretty quickly but it was a constant source of annoyance for those of us who put our heads down and worked rather than showing off. Lastly, the direction that the site began to take in 2014/5 was a disappointment to someone like me who joined Huffpo to do real journalism. The execs took it in a New Agey direction; suddenly they wanted articles about "how to unplug" or sleep well or how meditation makes you smarter. It seemed to be increasingly a vehicle for Arianna's career as an author and wellness guru rather than a real news organization.

Advice to Management

Stay true to your journalistic roots and spread the wealth around a little more. The guys and gals on the bottom rung work their butts off and aren't appreciated enough.

6. "Inside the Aggregation Turbine"

Former Employee - Anonymous Employee in New York, NY
    Former Employee - Anonymous Employee in New York, NY

Pros

Extremely friendly and welcoming environment. Fun, active newsroom. Lots of distractions, but also lots of highly motivated well-meaning people. Not competitive, from my perspective.

Cons

Big open office is difficult for many people.

Company strategies were rapidly changing when I left. For months the long-term direction of my (small) content team was unclear. Our capabilities were limited by funds, in the hands of extremely busy managers struggling to keep up with day to day, unable to look more than a few months down the road.

Advice to Management

More operations staff, spread out across editorial teams, to help with: payments, invoices, accounts, expenses, meeting schedules, booking stuff, faxing this form to that vendor, getting this signature from that person.

7. "Video"

I have been working at Huffington Post full-time

Pros

Great people and work environment, fun projects

Cons

Disorganized people in charge and lots of layoffs done inappropriately

8. "Good"

Pros

Learned a lot in a relaxed atmosphere

Cons

Not enough structure to program

9. "A Media Career Stepping Stone"

Former Employee - Associate Editor in New York, NY
    Former Employee - Associate Editor in New York, NY

I worked at Huffington Post full-time (More than a year)

Pros

Semi-flexible work hours, opportunity for many bylines

Cons

More focused on traffic than the content itself, little upward mobility, mediocre salary

10. "A good experience for a young journalist"

Former Employee - Editorial Fellowship in New York, NY
    Former Employee - Editorial Fellowship in New York, NY

I worked at Huffington Post (Less than a year)

Pros

I was given serious responsibility in terms of helping to manage the vertical I was assigned to, and I was encouraged to write often and to develop my own story ideas. My editors were friendly and collegial and seemed genuinely concerned with helping me improve.

Cons

There seemed to be no real opportunity for internal advancement, at least in my case. Although my work was praised and I made clear that I wanted to continue working at the organization after my fellowship, I was discouraged from applying to more fellowships at the company, and when one of my editors (the next level up from me) departed for a new job, her position was left unfilled.

Advice to Management

Make the preferred path for internal advancement clearer, if such a thing exists. Be more transparent about how hiring decisions are reached.

11. "Good if you're comfortable with near-constant change"

Pros

* Every new week was different than the last one.
    * Tons of creative, ambitious, and very smart people.
    * Casual vibe. Good snacks. Nap room.

Cons

* The vision started to evaporate over time.
    * Cross-team communication was a challenge, because everyone was working so fast.
    * Team members were often rewarded/promoted for butt-kissing and not for hard work.

Advice to Management

Changing direction is ok, as long as the new goals are clear and understandable. Just decreeing "it is so" isn't a reason to do something.