Huge Reviews | Glassdoor

Rating Trends Rating Trends
Huge CEO Aaron Shapiro
Aaron Shapiro

Pros
Cons
  • The learning curve is steep (sink or swim, people) and leadership is still pretty much male-dominated (in 9 reviews)

• Depending on project/timeline, it can be long hours (in 11 reviews)

1. "NA"

Current Employee - Director in Atlanta, GA
    Current Employee - Director in Atlanta, GA

I have been working at Huge full-time (Less than a year)

Pros

Great company thus far and awesome people.

Cons

It is too soon to tell.

"Uhhhhh"

Current Employee - Anonymous Employee in Brooklyn, NY
    Current Employee - Anonymous Employee in Brooklyn, NY

Pros

Some (I'd say about 5) rad people.

Dogs are chill.

The ventilation unit is loud enough to drown out the bullspit (can't swear on here)

Productivity is at it's max on free sweatshirt day.

Bananas are ripe.

The office people such as the folks at the front desk and the folks that maintain the office (aka, clean up after the large amounts of pseudo-adolescent people that "work" here) are the real Gs.

They paid me well enough to put up with this crud.

Cons

I've worked in my fair share of agencies and have had run ins with a lot of different types of agencies but this one is probably the strangest pink (or is it magenta?) colored Kool Aid cult I've encountered yet.

They speak of their culture being "about the people" however, if someone gets fired then the company puts them on full blast " So and so was 'aight but we had to cut them loose... but look at this cool stuff they made for us!" KPIs! ROIs! GI JOES!

They say that they strive in a "chaotic" environment and position it to where those who will last are the ones who can work with the chaos but in reality, it's their way of saying that they in no way have their spit together. Replace "chaotic" with unorganized drowning episode gargling small bits of doodie while neck deep in sewage water while being held down by bricks and you've got yourself a better idea of what's going on.

They seem to accept that their staff members known as "leads" are folks who don't necessarily have to lift a finger to make the big bucks. Lead that doesn't know how to use necessary programs or know how the project works and functions and wants to dump all everything on the mid staff? Forgetaboutit. They have the cool-talk dictionary accompanied by a beanie, longboard, and Doc Martens so they're solid. Who needs all that other stuff anyway?

In short, this place is "hella" weird.

Advice to Management

I don't even know, you guys seem to know what you want. No advice here. Maybe chill on the pink and ego choking? y'all eat that stuff up way too hard.

"A Disaster"

I worked at Huge full-time (More than a year)

Pros

Great place to work if you're a UX designer or Visual Designer.

Cons

They don't know how to do anything else besides UX design. They're unorganized. They have no process. And Creative Leadership and the CEO do NOT share the same goals, which is very frustrating. They also have some really bad creative leadership in the New York Office.

Advice to Management

Some of your creative leadership needs to leave. They're beyond disrespectful to your creative talent and it's toxic.

"Great people on the ground, but the leadership's a mess"

Current Employee - Web Engineer in Brooklyn, NY
    Current Employee - Web Engineer in Brooklyn, NY

I have been working at Huge full-time (More than a year)

Pros

Skilled developers, some skilled designers, looks good on the resume, you'll get to work on high-profile clients, and they're *usually* pretty good about being flexible, not demanding too many hours, etc. Depends a lot on the client, though.

Cons

Lots of corporate red tape, management seems self-absorbed and unresponsive to the sincere and repeated requests of its employees. Free beer and similar perks are prioritized over salaries or interesting work. Large clients are often dull, technologically out-of-date, and/or ethically objectionable; the office keeps reorganizing, which has streamlined nothing and just creates confusion and overhead. Tech people are expected to become managers to move up, even if that's not their skillset or interest. Lots of lip service to "agile" but implementation is spotty.

Advice to Management

Everyone constantly tells you the people are the best part of being here, so maybe treat them better? All the engineers I've known and respected here have left, and I can't blame them.

"No Respect For Talents"

I worked at Huge full-time (More than a year)

Pros

Dogs everywhere. Good snacks. Nice location.

Cons

Poor leadership skills and no one cares about you. You're stuck to your title and you cannot get promoted unless you are part a clique. They won't let you experiment, if you want to do commerical but your job doesn't entitle - you are not allowed to be allocated. There's too many creative directors, too many presidents, too many people with high titles that don't do anything.

Advice to Management

Stop being so toxic and stop hiring presidents who were fired from their last jobs. Treat your employees better and start communicating with them. Enough with the lies.

"Copy Director"

Former Employee - Creative Director in Brooklyn, NY
    Former Employee - Creative Director in Brooklyn, NY

I worked at Huge full-time (More than a year)

Pros

Looks good on a cv
    The view of the city is amazing
    There are some good people
    Free food d

Cons

The environment is SO toxic, beware! I have never seen such an unorganized agency, and I've been around for some time. If you are not part of a clique you are kept on the outside. They also fire people massively, and then don't communicate that to the teams. I'm glad I left. The work is average to be honest, mostly financial. Lastly they say they are all about the people, but that's a lot of white noise. People are mostly unhappy and leaving. Stay away!

7. "Best culture. All about pushing groundbreaking work."

Current Employee - Group Creative Director in Brooklyn, NY
    Current Employee - Group Creative Director in Brooklyn, NY

I have been working at Huge (More than a year)

Pros

Phenomenal people- the smartest I've had the pleasure of working with. Design-led and user-centric. Always delivering ground breaking work whilst keeping things real!

Cons

Growing pains- as the company looks to evolution within 3-5 years, staying true to core values will be key. Also, non-competitive salary bands.

Advice to Management

Keep good communication top priority.

"Get on your resume, then leave ASAP to get away from the egos"

Current Employee - Senior Visual Designer in Brooklyn, NY
    Current Employee - Senior Visual Designer in Brooklyn, NY

I have been working at Huge full-time (More than a year)

Pros

All of the stuff that doesn't actually matter, Huge does those things right. Looking cool. Having a cool office location in Dumbo. Working for cool brands. Free beer, free food, dog-friendly office. Young, good looking yuppies with "curated" wardrobes everywhere. I mean it FEELS really cool to work here. Except....

Cons

I was super disappointed to realize: it's just another agency. You're doing the same poorly planned, over-promised, prepare-for-the-terrible-client-review work you'd get to do anywhere else. The only thing different is the facade.

At the end of the day you're working to help IPG deliver a good quarter to investors. Except, you're getting paid a smaller slice of the billable hour and the people/egos are terrible to work with. I've run across some of the worst humans I've ever met here. It's amazing that they fit all the egos in through the door in the morning. I stuck it out for 2 years thinking maybe it was just the team I was on, but as I've worked with more Huge folk I've noticed a consistent pattern of sociopathic and narcissistic behavior. It seems the people self-select for similar types when hiring.

I'd much rather work towards improving IPG's quarterly numbers at one of their many other agencies. I've worked at numerous shops where there wasn't so many emotionally-stunted man children throwing temper tantrums all day over web designs that will become outdated within a year.

Advice to Management

You're growing...so who cares? That's the only thing that matters in a publicly traded company so you're gonna keep doing what you're doing. I know you'll never pay better because you have a constant stream of financially-retarded, wannabe-cool-kids lining up to work here at your current salary curves. You sure duped me. Keep doing what you're doing! IPG made a solid investment in you guys.

...but I'm gonna go improve MY quarterly numbers elsewhere using your name on my resume while it's still "cool." Hopefully not too many of the cool kiddies wise up like I did. To all my former sociopathic co-workers: Have fun yelling at each other all day! Just remember, if you were actually as smart and as talented as you think you are, you'd be running a successful business yourself.

"from temp to senior by the time I left"

Former Employee - QA Analyst in Brooklyn, NY
    Former Employee - QA Analyst in Brooklyn, NY

I worked at Huge full-time (More than 3 years)

Pros

The atmosphere is very chill. Beautiful design, stocked kitchen, beer for the taking. Its a cool place in theory.
    Also, having them on your resume is a HUGE deal. When people see that they seem to be excited because HUGE DOES hire some of the best talent out there.

Cons

They pay nowhere near market value. They treat you like a number rather than a person. Work/ life balance isnt a thing unless youre in upper management. The projects are NEVER organized and everything is a mad rush. I personally ended up working a minimum of 12 hrs a day, weekends included on a particular project for 2 years. The culture is quite abusive once you see through all of their "perks"
    Its INCREDIBLY clique-y and raises and praise seem to be based on nepotism and not hard work. Its as if thats where tech-bros go to be tech-bros. And if youre not "in," youre no one. And god forbid youre a woman in the tech department. Good luck being taken seriously. They only take you seriously if your leaving would tank a project. Leaving there was painful because of how hard I worked for them but ended up being one of best decisions of my life. Gratitude and repeat go a long way. And let us not forget the money. Leaving there got me an immediate $40k raise. Huge will never pay you what youre worth unless you have a big timer title or are friends w. the right people.

Advice to Management

If you have someone working at the capacity of a title that is above their own, pay them accordingly.
    Appreciate your employees and treat them like human beings. the occasional picnic and free beer is not enough.
    Treat the departments with the same level of respect
    Give raises because people do their job properly, not because they in your "boys club"
    Stop taking advantage of people who dont know you're lowballing the hell out of them
    Plan your projects better. *ahem* MUCH better
    QA is incredibly important, stop pretending it isn't
    The design process doesn't need to be stretched out week when we have a deadline. It leaves very little wiggle room for tech to actually BUILD the thing, which I'd venture to say is the most important part.
    Stop treating tech like the redheaded step child. I understand HUGE started as a design firm but now youre a full service agency and have been for some time now. Without tech you're not HUGE. you should behave that way.
    If you have someone who has been accused of sexual harassment more than once, maybe get rid of them? 1 is enough, but several? Have some respect for the women who work for you. And the guy wasnt even good at his job.

"You're either lucky, or you aren't."

Former Employee - Strategic Planning, Director in Brooklyn, NY
    Former Employee - Strategic Planning, Director in Brooklyn, NY

I worked at Huge full-time (More than 3 years)

Pros

Lots of added bonuses with extra curricular stuff. Great brand to have on your resume. If you're lucky enough to get on the "golden egg" project, you'll go places. Some really cool people.

Cons

SO MANY LAYERS. so much bloat. Constantly price themselves out of interesting work. Very very political - if you're not part of executive leadership or have a strong advocate who is, you won't get far. The only people who succeed are the people who have exec leaderships' ear - regardless of merit. The most money you'll ever make there is when you're first hired - pay way below market because they're "Huge." Their non-HQ offices (DC, Atlanta, LA) are way better off than Brooklyn at the moment.

Advice to Management

It feels like you're riding on the coat tails of the "old Huge" reputation. Stop trying to hold onto that and redefine yourselves in a way that supports your people holistically.