Hughes Network Systems Reviews | Glassdoor

Found 243 reviews

3.1
Hughes Network Systems CEO Pradman P. Kaul
Pradman P. Kaul
  1. "Monolith of a company"

Member of Technical Staff II in Gaithersburg, MD

I have been working at Hughes Network Systems for more than a year

Pros

Very smart coworkers. Work on software that is used worldwide and has great potential.

Cons

Unit testing is not complete for all projects, change is extremely slow to come if at all, and internal tools/software is outdated.

Advice to Management

Communicate better, be open to newer/improved ideas, and care for those working beneath you.

Hughes Network Systems2018-08-29

"Good learning for first year, then pretty much down the hill"

Former Employee - Anonymous Employee in Gaithersburg, MD

I worked at Hughes Network Systems full-time for more than 3 years

Pros

Good work life balance, umm actually more life I would say. Some of the managers are really knowledgeable, there are at least 2 per group no more, no less. Laid back. Mostly people have forgotten about such technical things, but you'll work on them here. It might be good or bad.

Cons

• Rampant illegal use of paid software/ebook. • The worse manager to employee ratio. I had 3-4 managers (2-3 being a very common phenomenon) asking me to attend daily meetings/reporting and had separate tasks assigned too! • In my group, more than 70% of managers have no technical knowledge (they hold titles of Senior Technical Director), what a joke! Many of them just keep repeating/asking things over and over so... that they sound knowledgeable. The rest 30% are super-amazingly forward thinking people. Unfortunately, majority wins in this case too, they would keep bringing you and your ideas down and do everything possible. • I thought of giving them one month's notice before quitting so as to do a proper knowledge transfer. Really bad idea, please do not do that, these people do not deserve it. In a few meetings, I was referred to as "The Problem who was about to leave" by my manager (and I was colleagues favorite). Shame on you! • I haven't seen a more regressive group of people. Do not suggest automation to these people, you will instantly become there enemies. I have seen people (they are considered to be real gurus) copy 1 million lines from a CSV, paste it in another file and draw some stupid graphs manually. I have seen people compare hex codes by two guys singing them out loud. The Horror! • Favoritism, you'll see it. The aforementioned geniuses are considered the best they've got. • Nepotism: Many managers hire people who are related to them. Many just work with people who are from their states back from India. • Once I complained about a guy who was "getting his work done" from somewhere to HR, and the HR in-turn complained to my manager that I went directly to them instead of him. He sat me down and told me to be "political" and come to him if I have any issues. • I have seen women being treated as a "prized possession". They won't let them go to different projects/groups even is they know their forte is something that other groups really need. • Benefits are so bad they should be called sufferings.

Advice to Management

Learn to manage projects, technical skills and people.

Hughes Network Systems2018-08-20

"Stepping stone company"

Former Employee - Member of Technical Staff

I worked at Hughes Network Systems full-time for more than 3 years

Pros

- ESPP is great. 15% discount and the purchase is quarterly - Decent place to work for a few years in the 1) early stages of the career or2) if you need a visa/GC or 3) both - Smart engineers but a lot of them are prejudiced - Good work life balance

Cons

- Nickel and dime everything - No company RSUs - Salary nowhere close to the market - Dated technology in certain teams but that is slowly changing - Atleast at the location where I worked, workplace is set in its ways. - Wearing shorts/printed T-shirts/flip flops is frowned upon - 401k just average. 5 yr vesting! - Vacation is 15 days a year. But no sick days. Before it used to be 10 vacation days and 5 sick... days. So if you fall sick, no vacation that year for you. - Certain products in the product line are obsolete. If you are in one of those teams, jump ship as soon as you can.

Hughes Network Systems2018-08-14
  4. "Hardware"

I have been working at Hughes Network Systems full-time

Pros

Everyone is very nice, easily a friendly environment to be in while working and flexible hours

Cons

some of the unused equipment cannot be taken home for experimentation

Hughes Network Systems2018-08-07

"Excellent First Internship"

Current Employee - Software Engineer(Internship) in Germantown, MD

I have been working at Hughes Network Systems full-time for less than a year

Pros

Good pay for the first internship Selective criteria are pretty mild Caring management, who are ready to help No micromanaging Interesting projects

Cons

No free food, or discounts at the cafeteria Depending on your office location, not much social interaction with anyone really At the times it can get boring, because all you do is read and learn something, which can also be a pros More events for the interns would also be nice

Advice to Management

None really, depending on the team it might vary. However, I really do love working with my supervisor and his team. He is one of the most intelligent people I've ever met in my whole life expirience. (Ganeshan R)

Hughes Network Systems2018-07-26

"No personal growth. Good work life balance"

I worked at Hughes Network Systems full-time

Pros

1. Good work life balance 2. Stable product

Cons

1. No growth opportunities if you are fairly inexperienced

Hughes Network Systems2018-05-26
  7. "Great plattform."

I have been working at Hughes Network Systems full-time for more than 3 years

Pros

One of the impactful firms in the industry.

Cons

Not compensated properly as per industry standards.

Hughes Network Systems2018-05-20
  8. "Good Company"

I worked at Hughes Network Systems full-time

Pros

Small company making it easier to deliver projects. Lots if long term staff. When you start you are allowed to pick your end and start time eg 8-4, 8:30-4:30 or 9-5.

Cons

Little chance of progression as staff rarely left. Small company with some responsibilities not clearly defined.

Advice to Management

Keep in touch with the staff dealing with the companies customers on a daily basis, check what is actually happening.

Hughes Network Systems2018-04-17

"Good company, lots of tech"

Former Employee - Principal Software Engineer in Germantown, MD

I worked at Hughes Network Systems full-time for more than 10 years

Pros

Good variety of technology. Lots of opportunities for challenging work & growth. This company has survived through A Lot of challenges & keeps producing/surviving.

Cons

Your work/life balance varied greatly depending on which VP you were under/project you were on. Tool support for embedded SW was sub-par for most of my 20 years with them. Aside from grad school tuition help, the company was historically not good about promoting technical staff's technical development.

Advice to Management

Given the ups & downs this company has survived, I can't fault them for anything specifically at C-suite level. If I were still there as an embedded developer, I would like to see more tool support for debugging & analysis work.

Hughes Network Systems2018-03-17

"Bad place to work - a sweatshop"

Current Employee - Member of Technical Staff II -software in Gaithersburg, MD

I have been working at Hughes Network Systems full-time for more than 3 years

Pros

- Nothing really good about this company

Cons

- Bad management - HR is the worst i have seen so far - Lot of managers i have seen have no managerial skills so far - Hostile work environment - Many managers micro-manage - No concern towards employees - bad benefits - low pay

Advice to Management

- Management has to address many concerns but if they want to run the place like a sweatshop, at least pay the employees well and give better benefits

Hughes Network Systems2018-03-08