Hughes Network Systems "top heavy" Reviews | Glassdoor

Hughes Network Systems Employee Reviews about "top heavy"

Updated Sep 16, 2019

Found 243 reviews

3.1
Hughes Network Systems CEO Pradman P. Kaul
Pradman P. Kaul
Pros
  • "Very smart and talented people - Management is open and promotes positive work-life balance(in 26 reviews)

• "Work environment is okay but not great(in 15 reviews)

Cons
  • "constantly facing situations that I knew were neither professional or acceptable in a work environment(in 14 reviews)

• "Waayyyy too top heavy in management(in 9 reviews)

Reviews about "top heavy"

Return to all Reviews

"If They Made Some Changes, It Would Be Better...."

Current Employee - Software Engineer in Germantown, MD

I have been working at Hughes Network Systems full-time for more than 3 years

Pros

Company leads the way in Satellite, and supports innovation on some truly amazing platforms driving the telecom space towards the future...One-Web, Jupiter 2, Mobile Backhaul to name a few Decent offices, really friendly co-workers, and lots of on-site amenities Okay location for the area; right off the highway and plenty of downtown amenities Tech in-house is plentiful; laptop provided when you join, and... more

Cons

Archaic internal growth layout, that does not properly support career expansion, or quality salary increases. The organization is top heavy with massive gaps in the middle, and no support to help younger engineers/employees grow from within. Very much tenured, but almost to the point where you feel management has lost touch with modern day work environments... Internal growth is supported laterally ONLY, which is... a very odd policy to have, as I do not believe any other company I have worked at has had this policy in place (see not supportive of growth above). Internal promotion is slow, with the top heaviness of the organization pulling in most of the money, and I have seen multiple people leave on my team to at least get the "bump" in pay they deserve... Additionally, the organization is terrified to support remote work, flexibility for employees, or even a modern day PTO policy. The current PTO program for example only provides 3 weeks (including your sick leave), with minimal increases at 5 years, and then (absurdly) 20 years! Word of warning, the company also does not close during winter storms either...with an automated message that "offers you the option to use PTO if you do not feel safe to come in". Politics get in the way of just about everything, with a lot of closed door conversations across the board.

Advice to Management

Really consider if you want to be a technology player in the modern future. Look at your company policies in place, support internal growth, and lighten up a bit on the stringent factors around flexibility being the devil. I have lost 3 colleagues in this year alone to better paying salaries, remote work, and companies that support them internally. I think I speak for most that have a good view of Hughes, but really... think you need to consider changing a few things to bring us forward to modern day (I am tired of losing colleagues due to compensation or better benefits).

Hughes Network Systems2018-10-11
  2. "Still new to company but great so far"

I have been working at Hughes Network Systems full-time

Pros

Able to Move up friendly work environments

Cons

Benefits Leave Accrual Top Heavy Political

Hughes Network Systems2017-08-29
  3. "Was a great company..."

I worked at Hughes Network Systems full-time for more than 10 years

Pros

Very cool technology and opportunities to work on cutting edge systems. By the time I left there were still a few "fun" events - quarterly parties, the annual sales meeting the holiday party, etc.

Cons

Managers who are not properly trained. It's crunch time all the time. Hughes was a great company to work for before the takeover by EchoStar. A lot of the perks, benefits and "fun times" disappeared with EchoStar - especially for people who traveled. Waayyyy too top heavy in management.

Hughes Network Systems2016-11-14

"Pleasantly satisfied after many years"

Current Employee - Senior Principal Hardware Engineer in Germantown, MD

I have been working at Hughes Network Systems full-time for more than 10 years

Pros

If you perform you will be recognized. Very engineering centric work pace, very tight schedules during the product development and launch phase and very relaxed during the off cycle. Overall a very good place to work with room for your growth with creative ideas, good perks and reasonable time off policies

Cons

Could send employees to periodic system tools training and subject matter conferences. Very top heavy management, I anticipate a change coming in the next 3-5 years with a lot of the senior management retiring.

Advice to Management

Grow your mid level management more effectively and do not promote people for loyalties only.

Hughes Network Systems2014-04-19

"Company provides great opportunity to learn the entire system and diversify experience."

Current Employee - Senior Director Technical in Germantown, MD

I have been working at Hughes Network Systems full-time for more than 10 years

Pros

Lot of encouragement to contribute original ideas.

Cons

Very slow growth as it is a top heavy company. Lot of people with 15yrs or more experience in Hughes and still at Hughes. You will still be coding even after becoming a middle level manager.

Advice to Management

Should provide growth opportunities and expansion of work area.

Hughes Network Systems2014-01-21
  6. "Software development practices need a rewrite..."

Current Employee - Senior Principal Software Engineer in Germantown, MD

I have been working at Hughes Network Systems full-time for more than 10 years

Pros

Stable work, people are not laid off to cut costs, pretty large company, lots of varying opportunities in many technical areas are available and you can move around to get into differing work for career development, CEO seems to really care about the people and keeping them for long term vs. cutting staff to make the numbers for Wall Street

Cons

Development practices are dated, too much focus on fire fighting problems, too top heavy with entrenched management, a lot of management comes from hardware backgrounds and that though pattern is not well suited to software development life cycles. I never see the CEO, ever, except at the quarterly tent review. We seem to loose a lot of younger talent making the company even more top heavy and culturally entrenched... in old practices.

Advice to Management

Let more junior engineers take much more responsibility and hold them accountable (in a positive way) to spur their career growth and ownership in the company and products they develop. CEO should walk around the place and pop in on people for adhoc encounters,

Hughes Network Systems2013-10-19

"Used to be much better"

Current Employee - Senior Engineer in Germantown, MD

I have been working at Hughes Network Systems full-time for more than 5 years

Pros

There are ample opportunities for you to tinker with things in the lab. Management doesn't have a set of guidelines on how things should be done, so you have a lot of freedom to be creative, just like back in grad school. Sometimes, these new ideas lead to patentable inventions and other cool things. Also, work-life balance isn't too bad. I haven't had to work late or on weekends in at least 3 years.

Cons

The company is very top heavy. There are more managers than employees, or at least it seems. The younger engineers don't like this, because they don't get promoted, so they leave.

Advice to Management

It's time to re-balance your workforce. The company is losing too much young talent to keep this up. In a few years, all Hughes has left is management and fresh recruits. An entire generation of mid ranking engineers is gone.

Hughes Network Systems2013-03-17
  8. "Goog technical learning ex;perience but not for long term carreer"

in Germantown, MD

I worked at Hughes Network Systems

Pros

Hughes has a very deep technical talent pool, espcially in area of satellite and wireless communications. A new grad or junior engineer can learn a lot quickly from just being immersed in the enviroment.

Cons

Hughes' business has so far been niched in commerical satellite business. Several attempts to breakout into other adjacent area such as cellar or goverment are were not very successful. Hughes is top heavy in term of management structure and has a rather large mid-management and lots of politics between them.

Advice to Management

Hughes has good technical reserves and good processes. However, these expertise and processes, and the culture may be preventing Hughes from being successful in non-satellite and non-comerical business area.

Hughes Network Systems2009-08-29