Hughes Network Systems "work life balance" Reviews | Glassdoor

Hughes Network Systems Employee Reviews about "work life balance"

Updated Sep 16, 2019

Found 243 reviews

3.1
Hughes Network Systems CEO Pradman P. Kaul
Pradman P. Kaul
Pros
  • "Very smart and talented people - Management is open and promotes positive work-life balance(in 26 reviews)

• "Work environment is okay but not great(in 15 reviews)

Cons
  • "constantly facing situations that I knew were neither professional or acceptable in a work environment(in 14 reviews)

• "Waayyyy too top heavy in management(in 9 reviews)

Reviews about "work life balance"

Return to all Reviews

"Enjoyable Co-Workers but Mediocre Compensation"

Current Employee - Software Engineer in Germantown, MD

I have been working at Hughes Network Systems full-time for more than 5 years

Pros

Many good co-workers. I have a good work/life balance with my manager almost never asking me to work overtime (only twice in my five years) and always willing to let me take time off for a variety of reasons (even on short notice provided there isn't an important deadline coming up). Hughes provides the opportunity for engineers to either move into a management path or a technical expertise path, and both are... highly valued within the company. This decision is entirely up to the employee and you can dabble a bit in both before making it final. Was willing to work with me to increase my compensation package when I asked (I did have another offer in hand from another company that they beat).

Cons

Compensation seems slightly lower compared to other companies in the area (I base this off of the reports of co-workers who have left Hughes). I know for a fact that Hughes doesn't take a government security clearance into account when calculating pay, so if you have a clearance, you can get better offers at other companies. Limited amount of leave (15 days for first 5 years, 20 for next 15, then 25, no sick... leave) "Flexible work hours" means you can arrive between 7:00 and 9:00 and leave 9 hours later (with one hour unpaid lunch) at your manager's discretion. There is no policy for working extra time for part of the pay period in order to take extra time off during the pay period. HR doesn't allow employees to input actual time worked, but requires that you put in 8 hours per day worked, even if you work 10 hours. You are also not allowed to put in hours for weekend work. Since there is no overtime pay for salaried employees, you aren't losing any compensation. However, Hughes is losing access to data that could be used to better plan deadlines. Outside of my sub-group, I know of at least a few teams that expect decently regular overtime work. Again, this is without compensation, or even records, so management cannot better plan future deadlines, which means that the next deadline will likely require overtime work as well. No telework option

Advice to Management

Allow employees to record the actual number of hours worked, at least so management can properly calculated man-hours needed for a project. Allow telework as an official option at manager discretion. Provide an alternative health care option with a lower deductible and lower out-of-pocket maximum. Provide better compensation package that is comparable to other companies in the area.

Hughes Network Systems2019-06-21
  2. "Not a happy work place"

Current Employee - S/W Developer in Germantown, MD

I have been working at Hughes Network Systems full-time for more than 3 years

Pros

The company does provides stability

Cons

The work environment is not productive, work-life balance is disrupted with lot of overtime depending of the team you would work for. Micro Management can be expected .Development environment is not great. Benefits are not that great, fewer PTOs and no WFH option.

Advice to Management

I do not have any advice to the management

Hughes Network Systems2019-06-05
  3. "Review"

Former Employee - Member of Technical Staff III Hardware Engineer in Germantown, MD

I worked at Hughes Network Systems full-time for more than a year

Pros

Fast paced environment, knowledgeable people

Cons

Terrible work life balance, worst managerial skills, and very little PTO

Advice to Management

Look in and introspect before your best run away

Hughes Network Systems2019-04-09
  4. "Good to start your career. Lot of learning opportunities."

Current Employee - Network Engineer in Germantown, MD

I have been working at Hughes Network Systems full-time for more than 3 years

Pros

Lot of good college crowd and some of them in the upper management are really good and get the best out of their employees.

Cons

Work life balance sucks as we are always understaffed due to high attrition rate.

Advice to Management

Pay your employees what they deserve so that you can retain them.

Hughes Network Systems2018-09-08

"Just Okay"

Current Employee - MTS-2 in Germantown, MD

I have been working at Hughes Network Systems full-time for more than 3 years

Pros

Good work life balance (depending on department) Lots of opportunities for younger employees Decent Salary & ESPP Intelligent, friendly coworkers (again, depending on the department) Flu Shots/Wellness Screenings free every year

Cons

401k is just okay PTO is odd, jumps from 3 weeks to 4 weeks at year 5 but doesn't jump again until year 19.... Keep bad employees around far too long Odd promotions, certain people seem to be overpromoted A LOT of politics, seems like every "team" is working for themselves and not the overall good of the company "Flexible Hours" feel more like slave labor--won't let you leave for a doctors appointment (even on... salary) but will make you stay late 3+ hours if the work requires it

Advice to Management

Pay attention to your employees and recognize real talent Catch up to the rest of the world with PTO--not everyone stays at companies for 20+ years anymore Be more flexible with hours--the only concern should be that goals are met--People will work harder. Get rid of terrible, lazy employees and promote hard working employees

Hughes Network Systems2018-08-30

"Stepping stone company"

Former Employee - Member of Technical Staff

I worked at Hughes Network Systems full-time for more than 3 years

Pros

- ESPP is great. 15% discount and the purchase is quarterly - Decent place to work for a few years in the 1) early stages of the career or2) if you need a visa/GC or 3) both - Smart engineers but a lot of them are prejudiced - Good work life balance

Cons

- Nickel and dime everything - No company RSUs - Salary nowhere close to the market - Dated technology in certain teams but that is slowly changing - Atleast at the location where I worked, workplace is set in its ways. - Wearing shorts/printed T-shirts/flip flops is frowned upon - 401k just average. 5 yr vesting! - Vacation is 15 days a year. But no sick days. Before it used to be 10 vacation days and 5 sick... days. So if you fall sick, no vacation that year for you. - Certain products in the product line are obsolete. If you are in one of those teams, jump ship as soon as you can.

Hughes Network Systems2018-08-14

"Good learning for first year, then pretty much down the hill"

Former Employee - Anonymous Employee in Gaithersburg, MD

I worked at Hughes Network Systems full-time for more than 3 years

Pros

Good work life balance, umm actually more life I would say. Some of the managers are really knowledgeable, there are at least 2 per group no more, no less. Laid back. Mostly people have forgotten about such technical things, but you'll work on them here. It might be good or bad.

Cons

• Rampant illegal use of paid software/ebook. • The worse manager to employee ratio. I had 3-4 managers (2-3 being a very common phenomenon) asking me to attend daily meetings/reporting and had separate tasks assigned too! • In my group, more than 70% of managers have no technical knowledge (they hold titles of Senior Technical Director), what a joke! Many of them just keep repeating/asking things over and over so... that they sound knowledgeable. The rest 30% are super-amazingly forward thinking people. Unfortunately, majority wins in this case too, they would keep bringing you and your ideas down and do everything possible. • I thought of giving them one month's notice before quitting so as to do a proper knowledge transfer. Really bad idea, please do not do that, these people do not deserve it. In a few meetings, I was referred to as "The Problem who was about to leave" by my manager (and I was colleagues favorite). Shame on you! • I haven't seen a more regressive group of people. Do not suggest automation to these people, you will instantly become there enemies. I have seen people (they are considered to be real gurus) copy 1 million lines from a CSV, paste it in another file and draw some stupid graphs manually. I have seen people compare hex codes by two guys singing them out loud. The Horror! • Favoritism, you'll see it. The aforementioned geniuses are considered the best they've got. • Nepotism: Many managers hire people who are related to them. Many just work with people who are from their states back from India. • Once I complained about a guy who was "getting his work done" from somewhere to HR, and the HR in-turn complained to my manager that I went directly to them instead of him. He sat me down and told me to be "political" and come to him if I have any issues. • I have seen women being treated as a "prized possession". They won't let them go to different projects/groups even is they know their forte is something that other groups really need. • Benefits are so bad they should be called sufferings.

Advice to Management

Learn to manage projects, technical skills and people.

Hughes Network Systems2018-08-20

"Good company, lots of tech"

Former Employee - Principal Software Engineer in Germantown, MD

I worked at Hughes Network Systems full-time for more than 10 years

Pros

Good variety of technology. Lots of opportunities for challenging work & growth. This company has survived through A Lot of challenges & keeps producing/surviving.

Cons

Your work/life balance varied greatly depending on which VP you were under/project you were on. Tool support for embedded SW was sub-par for most of my 20 years with them. Aside from grad school tuition help, the company was historically not good about promoting technical staff's technical development.

Advice to Management

Given the ups & downs this company has survived, I can't fault them for anything specifically at C-suite level. If I were still there as an embedded developer, I would like to see more tool support for debugging & analysis work.

Hughes Network Systems2018-03-17

"Large Company, good distance location."

I have been working at Hughes Network Systems full-time

Pros

Flexible, work life balance, good pay.

Cons

Paid time off is short.

Hughes Network Systems2018-01-28
  10. "Great Company"

Current Employee - Anonymous Employee in Germantown, MD

I have been working at Hughes Network Systems full-time for more than 3 years

Pros

Great culture Open Communication Have room to be creative Great Benefits Great work life balance

Cons

Hard to move up unless you really fight Location

Hughes Network Systems2017-11-15