Hulsey Reviews | Glassdoor

3.3
Hulsey Principal Bill Hulsey
Bill Hulsey

Sort: PopularRatingDate

1. "Good Experience for One Who Likes Work to Be Interesting"

Former Employee - Administrative Assistant in Austin, TX
    Former Employee - Administrative Assistant in Austin, TX

I worked at Hulsey part-time (More than a year)

Pros

Creative people, good communication skills, never boring

Cons

Parking (But they moved to a better location after I left.)

Advice to Management

Keep teaching staff what you know and learn.

2. "Good place to work with great people"

I worked at Hulsey as a contractor

Pros

A lot of autonomy if you are equipped to handle it. Everyone at the firm is friendly and cares about doing good work and developing trusting relationships with clients.

Cons

The size of the firm and heavy workflow makes internal communication a challenge sometimes.

Advice to Management

Improve expectations for internal communications and implement guidelines for the same. It will help improve workflow management.

3. "Boutique firm with passionate attorneys"

I worked at Hulsey as a contractor

Pros

I came in to do some contract work for HulseyIP, mostly organizational and billing. I found the people I worked with to be focused and engaged. The small-company atmosphere seemed to allow employees a great deal of autonomy (which is also a great responsibility). A good environment if you thrive on a fast pace.

Cons

Any cons are just the flip side of the pros-- being a small company means that employees are expected to self-manage to a large degree, and that projects and deadlines can come in waves that are more or less intense. Not necessarily bad things-- it really depends on what kind of environment you're looking for.

Advice to Management

Invest in infrastructure and organization; because the firm does use contractors often, having solid, up to date IT and communication practices can make things smoother and more efficient.

4. "It's experience on the resume"

I worked at Hulsey full-time

Pros

It starts off good, but beware. It's a salary and experience on your resume.

Cons

There is no training and support from the principal attorney. You are expected to meet unrealistic deadlines. There is no true concern for the client. The firm is only interested in selling a product, rather than building a healthy portfolio. There is no true communication between the staff, which leads to balls being dropped and missed deadlines. No one truly works for the firm, contractors, so there isn't really a true concern for the clients, just get the paper written type of work.

When interviewing with other firms, they look down on the experience from this firm.

Advice to Management

Invest more time in training since recruitment is from entry level associates. Change the mindset of selling a product to protection of the client.

5. "A Blight on Your Resume"

I worked at Hulsey full-time

Pros

Decent salaries, hires recent graduates

Cons

Always rushing to meet deadlines, patent prosecution methods do not adhere to typical industry practices, high turnover, lacks any level of respect in the IP community.

Advice to Management

Practicing well is more important than practicing a lot.

Hulsey Response

Dec 18, 2017 – Principal

This is the same individual who wrote the Feb 2017 review. She departed in July 2016.

"All show, no substance"

I worked at Hulsey full-time

Pros

I enjoyed working with some of the other employees that were there.

The firm hires directly out of school.

Cons

MASSIVE employee turnover (about 15 people in 3 years for a company of about 8 employees)

Abysmal management.

This law firm is more interested in selling the client a product that they don't need rather than providing advice to help the client succeed. I believe this to be the antithesis of how a law firm should operate.

I was told in an offer letter that there was an established 401k, but when I got there I found out not only that it didn't exist, but that there were no benefits plans, nor was there any desire to create any.

Very minimal if any employee training.

PS: I wouldn't trust all of the previous reviews as I know at least one (the one on Christmas of 2015) is by the owner.

Advice to Management

Stop playing with marketing and instead focus on providing ACTUAL VALUE to your clients.

A healthy work relationship, like any healthy relationship, requires mutual respect. You will not get that respect if you don't give it to the people that you work with and value.

Hulsey Response

Dec 18, 2017 – Principal

This individual's relationship with the firm terminated in July 2106.

7. "IP Law Firm Great Team Environment"

Current Employee - Principal in Austin, TX
    Current Employee - Principal in Austin, TX

I have been working at Hulsey full-time (More than a year)

Pros

Hulsey Hunt & Parks is a pioneering Intellectual Property boutique law firm based in the growing Austin, Texas technopolis. The firm opened a new office to serve the developing Memphis technology business community. Hulsey has re-envisioned the practice of Intellectual Property law, establishing a unique, collegial team environment that encourages personal growth and work-life balance for administrative staff and legal professionals, to deliver consistent high quality services and legal advice for clients. Hulsey promotes from within and nurtures the valued members of our teams.

Cons

Hulsey is consistently growing, and at heart is a law firm, so personal drive, professionalism and consistency are necessary for success. The firm is quite informal and relaxed for a law firm. The demands of continued growth require flexibility, unlike more standardized positions in large law firms and corporations. You must expect to dive in and get your hands dirty, because this is still a smallish law firm environment.

Advice to Management

Keep refining internal processes and developing the competencies of all staff. Be sure to communicate.

"Amazing Work Environment"

Current Employee - Intellectual Property Paralegal in Austin, TX
    Current Employee - Intellectual Property Paralegal in Austin, TX

I have been working at Hulsey full-time

Pros

Hulsey Hunt is an amazing work environment. The management strongly encourages our teamwork and for the employees to foster strong relationships among themselves. There are many opportunities for personal and professional growth as well as to have an active role in the firm growth. There is also the added benefit of working closely with many inventors and entrepreneurs as they begin their journey to protecting their creations and ideas.

Cons

Honestly, I have no negative comments regarding the company, employees, or location.

Advice to Management

My advice to the management would be to continue to encourage us in our teamwork and building relationships among ourselves and with our clients.

9. "Great Growing Company"

Pros

The employees are great to work with and the pay is well structured for the industry. The principal and management staff are willing to work with you and listen to your ideas and suggestions. The leadership team works well together and makes strong efforts to make the best choices for the employees. Job education and training is encouraged for all levels and they will even assist you with it any way possible.

Cons

The company has grown rapidly which has created some growing pains, however the growth has created more jobs. The parking downtown is very challenging along with the daily traffic depending on your commuting direction.

"Bad environment."

Former Employee - Anonymous Employee in Austin, TX
    Former Employee - Anonymous Employee in Austin, TX

I worked at Hulsey full-time

Pros

Pay is okay, and the firm is located on congress just a few blocks away from the capitol. Parking is expensive though.

Cons

The environment is very negative and the firm always seems behind and scrambling. There is very high turnover in all positions, including accountant, paralegals, and attorneys. Raises and bonuses are rare even when promised.

Advice to Management

Treat employees better and focus on doing things right.