Hult International Business School Reviews in United Kingdom | Glassdoor

Hult International Business School President Stephen Hodges
Stephen Hodges

Sort: PopularRatingDate

Pros
Cons
  • Very fast work pace, difficult work/life balance (in 29 reviews)

• Low pay, no work-life balance, no direction and bully management (in 10 reviews)

1. "Lots of Opportunity, but it is what you make it."

Former Employee - Regional Marketing and Services Manager in London, England (UK)

I worked at Hult International Business School full-time (More than a year)

Pros

Lots of travel, great colleagues, lots of opportunity for advancement.

Cons

Long working hours, flat Swede-style corporate structure means that those who play political games well and build a network often progress faster than those with the most skill.

"Low pay"

Current Employee - Anonymous Employee in London, England (UK)
    Current Employee - Anonymous Employee in London, England (UK)

I have been working at Hult International Business School full-time (Less than a year)

Pros

friendly working environment, young diverse colleagues, great location of campuses in London, fun place , after-work drinks and celebrations. The requirements are not very high and there are opportinities to move within a company

Cons

low pay, swede style corporate structure which means that you are only valueble if you are a friend of someone from the company, noone cares about your qualifications. The job is too relaxed. High turnover of employees

Advice to Management

Increase pay. This will help to keep current employees motivated.

"Campus Technology Manager"

Current Employee - Campus Manager in London, England (UK)
    Current Employee - Campus Manager in London, England (UK)

I have been working at Hult International Business School full-time (More than a year)

Pros

Exposure to lots of different platforms and jobs outside of your role, some good perks - lots of events, trips for students you can join

Cons

Expected to fulfil much more than in your contract. Expected to work longer hours often. Micro managed by senior management. Most senior management have very little people skills and care more about satisfaction statistics than anything else.

Advice to Management

Concentrate more on staff happiness and workloads, find a way to retain talent better

"Applications Manager"

Former Employee - Applications Manager in London, England (UK)
    Former Employee - Applications Manager in London, England (UK)

I worked at Hult International Business School full-time (More than 5 years)

Pros

Fair pay for the role, travel opportunities, pretty office

Cons

Get used to office politics, your manager will throw you under the bus to get a head. Terrible working hours, NO work life balance, expect your work to be your life. If you aren't at 150% happy to be there every day, loving selling executive education not the place for you. They are more focused on meeting their individual sales targets than what is in the best interest for the student.

Advice to Management

Treat your employees with more respect, and realized that they are people first, workers second. Change the hours as that is the most common complaint among all.

"Student Recruitment Coordinator"

Former Employee - Student Recruitment Coordinator in London, England (UK)
    Former Employee - Student Recruitment Coordinator in London, England (UK)

I worked at Hult International Business School (Less than a year)

Pros

Lovely environment, lots of young people, events and free lunches/dinners sometimes.

Cons

The company has a ridiculously high turnover rate and there are clear reasons for it. The role itself is a glorified cold caller. No progression for growth "unless an opportunity arises" ie if someone leaves. You will be making close to 80-100 calls a day, most of which are bad leads they get from things like GoogleAds. Plenty of Voicemails. They say its not cold calling, but it essentially is.

Salary is terrible. Head office in the middle of sloane square, one of the poshest parts of London, yet paying staff as low as 16k a year. Cost of living in London is high so expect to live paycheck to paycheck. I'd rather have more money in my pocket than management spending lots of money on lunches/dinners. Just give your employees slightly more money.

Instead of a standard contract where you are paid a certain amount each month, you end up filling in a timesheet every day to show how many hours you have worked. You will not be paid for lunch either. Shows a lack of commitment to your staff if you dont even offer them proper security. If you are ill and dont work for 1 week - you wont get paid for the week. This is not regarding any probationary period - it is like this even after 6 months.

In the end, you probably get 16k on a full time basis if you work your socks off. Long hours, I used to start 10:30PM -- 7:30PM so it does affect your social life.

Advice to Employees: Don't try so hard. Have fun and take advantage of the buzzing social element of Hult.

Advice to Management

Pay your staff a fair wage. One of your 1 year MBA programmes cost close to £50,000 yet the people doing the legwork can hardly scrape 16,000£ a year. Allow more progression and growth as you have lost lots of great staff members once it becomes blindingly obvious over time that the low pay and monotony of the role outweighs the energetic environment.

6. "Life at Hult"

Current Employee - Enrollment Associate in London, England (UK)
    Current Employee - Enrollment Associate in London, England (UK)

I have been working at Hult International Business School (More than a year)

Pros

Very fun company to work for! A lot of young people with a lot of energy. Responsibility is given to new employees at a very early stage and the whole atmosphere is extremely entrepreneurial even though it is a rather large company. Great company culture. Super international and global workplace, with elegant, modern offices all around the world and with staff from literally almost every country on earth. A lot of opportunity to grow within the company.

Cons

Wages seem to be slightly below industry averages and working hours are often longer. However this is often compensated by making the workplace a nice environment to be in.

Advice to Management

Keep the flat company culture. Keep talent by increasing wages. Listen more in some situations and don't be too stubborn.

7. "Truly global"

Current Employee - Marketing Manager in London, England (UK)

Pros

Super entrepreneurial spirit all around. A great place to develop your ideas within the mission and vision of the company. Being a flat company, it also allows you to freely express your ideas and and test them in the real world. You get to develop also the skills working in an international environment since your colleagues come from many nationalities. Excellent if you are looking into relocating within the company since there are offices literally around the globe.

Cons

Work Life Balance. However, it really depends up to you to be effective and productive at work. I guess it is a test on how you can prioritize your tasks and excel in time management. I am still working on it though

"Hult is an amazing place to work"

Current Employee - Career Development Manager in London, England (UK)
    Current Employee - Career Development Manager in London, England (UK)

Pros

Personally speaking, I feel Hult has a really strong culture which encourages innovative solutions to be implemented rapidly where the student is placed at the very heart of what we do. The drive to ensure students are happy and achieve their goals is boundless and I love that focus.

We never spend ages in meetings talking about stuff which we might do in a few years time, we are much more fast moving than that, thank goodness.

I can see how this might look like I have been asked to write this but I genuinely love working for Hult, I love my job and I feel really engaged in the future of the school. For me, it is a perfect fit. I have been working here a few years now and strongly feel it matches the way I like to work and provides me with a good vehicle for my unusual range of talents and experience.

Cons

Hult has a very special culture and it really is not suitable for everyone. Just because it's education, don't imagine you will just be able to fit in and work here for years because you have worked in other institutions. There is a strong passion for results and the pace moves at an alarming rate at times and not everyone suits that. We have gone through a period of rapid growth over the last couple of years and as a result, like any organisation, we have struggled to maintain clear lines of communication and have at times, gone overboard in creating tiresome processes for business improvement.

A lot of people slate Hult as a place to work and as you would expect, this is generally people who don't fit the culture or whom have been released back into the community for poor performance. This is my way of addressing the imbalance.

Advice to Management

The success of the campuses is down to really strong leadership. We don't always get the right person but on the whole we make really good appointments.

"If for some reason they're hiring, do not apply to work for this company"

Former Employee - Anonymous Employee in London, England (UK)
    Former Employee - Anonymous Employee in London, England (UK)

I worked at Hult International Business School (More than 5 years)

Pros

International environment, fast paced. I guess you could add the staff events that are organised are always fun, the new ED is also a big plus. Fingers crossed he doesn't change.

Cons

Senior management are a huge problem in the company, most staff are paid a disgusting amount but are over-worked. Hult will happily fire certain hard working and loyal working employees to make way for Hult family and friends, who will also inevitable be paid a much healthier salary that most. You might be lucky enough to work with unprofessional managers who slander their staff, relay private conversations and meetings they've had with the ED and Dean and share their departments salaries with other colleagues in their team.

If you work here expect to get pretty much nothing back, with hardly any opportunity to move up the ladder and unprofessionalism from the people you're supposed to learn from. You'll be surround by colleagues desperately trying to find other jobs and notices being handed in left right and centre.

Hult is on a slippery slope to having no staff left as they seldom replace the people leaving, consequently meaning other people are having more work dumped on to them.

Overall they's no sincerity or integrity within this company, it's an awful and draining place to work no matter what department you work in.

Advice to Management

Take a look at how your behaviour is affecting you staff. it's very obvious you're willing to get ahead with no care for the mess you leave behind and the people left to pick the pieces of your mistakes. You bring in family friends who verbally bully their staff and do diddly squat about it. Also it might be worth reviewing what people in specific departments get paid compared to those who actually keep the campus running.

"Fast paced and supportive work environment"

Current Employee - Marketing Manager in London, England (UK)

Pros

I took a big risk on Hult and it is so far paying off. I work in a great team where we have fun and interesting work and are fully supported by a very intelligent manager. The staff are hugely international so everyone is warm and welcoming and you can visit any Hult office in the world and it feels like you are in your usual spot. They pay well for the right people, there is a free gym onsite as well as paying for your phone bill and providing free private health insurance. It is a work hard, play hard culture and there is room to grow.

Cons

Not all teams are fortunate to have great managers and as others have said, decisions are made quickly and not always well communicated. The office hours are long and the pressure to perform is always present.

Advice to Management

Listen to your staff and don't keep someone on just because they are senior. If they aren't good managers & treat people badly, they need to go.