Hulu Reviews | Glassdoor

Hulu CEO Randy Freer
Randy Freer

Sort: PopularRatingDate

Pros
Cons
  • If you have a family forget seeing them because there is no understand of work life balance from the marketing teams (in 17 reviews)

• Just a few growing pains but its also exciting to help have such an impact (in 18 reviews)

1. Featured Review

"Great place to work for Software Engineers"

Current Employee - Software Engineer in Santa Monica, CA

I have been working at Hulu full-time (More than a year)

Pros

Challenging work
    Less bureaucracy so work is easier to get to production
    Coworkers are awesome!
    Opportunities to advance your career
    Great benefits
    Management is transparent with company status and product road map
    Compensation is competitive with other big tech companies
    Work life balance is great whether you're a new parent or new grad
    Vacation policy is flexible

Cons

No cons that I can think of

2. "Excellent Working Environment"

Current Employee - Software Engineer in Santa Monica, CA

I have been working at Hulu full-time (More than 8 years)

Pros

Plenty of opportunities to learn, try new things

Cons

Grew very quickly, trying to develop processes to manage larger workforce, communication issues, etc.

3. "Great company but they’re still figuring things out"

Current Employee - Video Editor in Los Angeles, CA
    Current Employee - Video Editor in Los Angeles, CA

Pros

Fun work environment.
    Competitive pay when you start.
    Collaborative atmosphere.
    They recognize and reward talent.
    There’s a decent work/life balance.

Cons

Unclear job roles that create project ownership problems.
    Approval processes for projects are too long.
    The company is slowly becoming more corporate.

Advice to Management

Learn to trust the people you hire to do their jobs.

4. "Great place to work and constantly improving"

Current Employee - Technical Program Manager in Santa Monica, CA

I have been working at Hulu full-time (More than a year)

Pros

- Management is focussed on team members success
    - Life Work Balance
    -Well defined career path and how to succeed, as well as space to define your own career goals
    - Top down transparency

Cons

- Sometimes we fall down on operational effectiveness
    - Focussed on solving today's issue not on improving the system and building large scale solutions.

Advice to Management

Make sure that we hold internal customer as accountable as we hold the delivery teams, fill participation on both sides is what lead to success.

5. "Good for culture and low stress environment"

Former Employee - Campaign Coordinator in Santa Monica, CA
    Former Employee - Campaign Coordinator in Santa Monica, CA

I worked at Hulu full-time (More than a year)

Pros

Fun, great colleagues, lots of perks

Cons

Good not great pay, at times a bit chaotic

6. "A great environment to learn and flourish"

Current Employee - Technical Program Manager in Santa Monica, CA

I have been working at Hulu full-time (Less than a year)

Pros

Management care!!!. Not just your bosses, but all levels. Work changes often trying new things and even encouraged to fail if it means to push the envelope. Great people, great perks, fun community to work in

Cons

I am not sure I can find any at this time. With the quick growth, there are always some things that can be done better, but process needs to be introduced in such a way to not hinder freedom to explore new boundaries. These processes are the only thing I would try to improve upon

Advice to Management

Keep up the openness and excitement. Love going to work each day

"Software Developer"

Current Employee - Software Developer in Santa Monica, CA
    Current Employee - Software Developer in Santa Monica, CA

I have been working at Hulu full-time (Less than a year)

Pros

Hulu proves to be a hub of strong engineers. Technologies across stacks are done with modern frameworks and best practices, with employees welcomed to give and attend tech talks to encourage adopting new tools and methodologies. My old job was underwhelming to work at, as coworkers worked slowly, stayed with a stack and a given language, and actively refused pursuing better ways (e.g. breaking up monoliths, and at all my demos being told to "slow down"). At Hulu, my prayers have been answered as everyday feels electric - problems being solved via paired debugging, the ease to work on any stack, do project design with your own choices of technologies. It's a great place for developers - which is definitely not a given for any company.
    I don't get micro-managed at all, and I get to meet 1:1 with my boss every two weeks which is great access.

Cons

Opportunities for growth is openly discussed but still rather confusing as to how to go up the ladder. There are rarely chances for any direct exposure to other teams - allowing for this I think would help create a more development community within the company.

Advice to Management

Currently short-staffed in teams to handle our exponential growth in number of subscribers. Teams are currently broken up in small groups which is Great! Hopefully we can keep that in case of rapid hiring.

8. "Great Place to Work"

Former Employee - Viewer Experience Advocate in San Antonio, TX
    Former Employee - Viewer Experience Advocate in San Antonio, TX

I worked at Hulu full-time (Less than a year)

Pros

-Great amenities to help get you through the day.
    -Free food ;)
    -Free Hulu swag
    -Hulu services
    - Awesome Co-Workers so long as they are on your level in the workforce in other words other vxas
    -administrative and senior Management were amazing!!

Cons

-My specific management was terrible. Do your best to not stand out. I had nothing but roadblocks from managers. Hindered my opportunities to move up by influencing my interviewer. Again this is solely my experience.
    - terrible PTO request process. I would see people trying to swap shifts for surgeries because of so many denied requests.
    -pay not enough for de-escalating calls all day

Advice to Management

Consider the impact of an immediate firing. Especially days after the holidays. Also I think if people are trying to schedule surgeries they shouldn't have to trade shifts. Ask why? Ask why people aren't showing up and why people are upset with TMs.

9. "Best Job"

I have been working at Hulu full-time

Pros

Great employees
    Amazing company culture
    Challenging + fulfilling projects
    Perks

Cons

None that I can think of.

"Hulu lives up to their values!"

I have been working at Hulu full-time

Pros

While Hulu is technically not a startup, it has an electrifying startup vibe. The company is in a unique position where multiple entertainment companies own shared portions, making it difficult for Hulu to ever go public. While stocks are often a tantalizing treat for money-hungry job-seekers, Hulu offers something better. Their benefits, pay, diversity, snacks, amenities, and lucrative bonus structure more than make up for the lack of stock options. I’m in the Tech department, so all of my comments are only applicable to my experience there. As someone who has worked for a Silicon Valley company before, I must say that “Silicon Beach” is the place to be!

Hulu’s location is nestled within the heart of Santa Monica’s beach culture. Within a couple miles, you will find everything exciting and alluring about Los Angeles. The employees are diverse, supportive, open-minded, and full of new ideas. The atmosphere is so chill, it often doesn’t feel like work when I show up. When I interviewed with the company, I was so impressed with my future colleagues that I knew the moment I shook the last person’s hand that this was where I wanted to be. Sure enough, after getting hired, I found myself surrounded by passionate leaders and peers who believe in the company’s product. Trust me, this is rare. Since joining Hulu, they have won Emmy’s, launched a live TV service on the web, won awards for innovation and broke their own records for most subscriptions in a single day! I’ve arrived just in time to watch this company grow into something even more spectacular than it already is.

Cons

The first con is the leniency that management exercises in not addressing problems immediately. There have been a few times in team meetings where issues were brought up and not addressed. Part of the problem is young, inexperienced managers. I know that training is in place to level up everyone in charge, but some folks just don’t have the personality to assert themselves and get things done. There needs to be a better balance.

While everyone working there is diverse, open-minded, and full of ideas, there is a general vibe of immaturity. It’s important to have a fun workplace where everyone attends weekly happy hours and spends lunch breaks discussing Game of Thrones, but the professionalism needed to get through difficult challenges and have direct conversations is sometimes lacking.

Advice to Management

Empower everyone with a “Lead”, “Manager”, or “Director” title to assert themselves when necessary. Management should also be encouraging more honest communication within their direct reports. While I value the trust and leniency that managers currently show their employees, people seem to fear direct feedback and conversation. Encourage active listening and empathy between the different departments, since it seems that Product, Design, Tech and Leadership aren’t always on the same page.