Hulu Reviews | Glassdoor

Hulu CEO Randy Freer
Randy Freer

Sort: PopularRatingDate

Pros
Cons
  • "If you have a family forget seeing them because there is no understand of work life balance from the marketing teams" (in 19 reviews)

• "Just a few growing pains but its also exciting to help have such an impact" (in 18 reviews)

1. Featured Review

"The Best Job of My Career"

Current Employee - Anonymous Employee in Santa Monica, CA

I have been working at Hulu full-time (More than 3 years)

Pros

Hulu is what a company should be about. You're surrounded by smart, motivated people who are all working together towards the same end goal: building an unparalleled viewer experience with amazing content. That, coupled with a great culture, growth opportunities and autonomy, and you can see why it's a desired company to work for.

Cons

Some departments still need to be better about communicating, but these are challenges most companies are faced with.

2. "Great Company"

I worked at Hulu full-time

Pros

Great Company and Benefits for all Hulugans

Cons

There are no cons working for Hulu.

3. "Digital Supply Chain Specialist"

I have been working at Hulu full-time

Pros

Great work environment with great staff

Cons

No immediate cons come to mind

4. "Great company, culture and product"

Former Employee - Anonymous Employee in Santa Monica, CA
    Former Employee - Anonymous Employee in Santa Monica, CA

I worked at Hulu full-time (More than 3 years)

Pros

Strong company culture and team that really cares about the products that they ship

Cons

Ownership structure is sometimes helpful, but can also lead to challenging situations.

"1 Year at Hulu Review"

Current Employee - Anonymous Employee in Santa Monica, CA

I have been working at Hulu full-time (More than a year)

Pros

Welcoming Environment
    Plenty of Workplace Perks
    Amenities Galore
    Work Hard, Have Fun

Cons

Constantly Changing Environment, if you aren't good with change, be cautious.

Advice to Management

Having 1:1's with team members is VERY important.

6. "Boom"

I have been working at Hulu full-time

Pros

Good pay and Fun times

Cons

People and management. Perks could be better too.

Advice to Management

Hire some skilled managers please.

7. "Viewer Experience Advocate"

I worked at Hulu full-time

Pros

Working from home was nice but sometimes felt isolated from co-workers.

Cons

Low pay for the position.

"Content"

I worked at Hulu full-time

Pros

- Unlimited PTO
    - Snacks
    - Good manager

Cons

- Lots of reorgs
    - Inexperienced product managers
    - Below industry standard pay and hard to negotiate

"Sorry to say, its true."

Current Employee - Viewer Experience Advocate in San Antonio, TX
    Current Employee - Viewer Experience Advocate in San Antonio, TX

I have been working at Hulu full-time (More than a year)

Pros

-Decent health coverage
    -Nice looking office.
    -Alright starting pay

Cons

Basically everything else as everyone else has stated. I'm a current employee and won't be for much longer. I had very high hopes when starting at this company over a year ago. The office is nice, nice little bonuses here and there if you can get one. Internal promotions happen rarely, and it's not about your stats at all. Favoritism to the max.
    Working on the floor is extremely stressful and negative energy is all around and its not because of your fellow VXA's. All other positions have it easy and like to rag on the front lines. VXA2's get to walk around and monitor our chat room while we're in the weeds, and your TM and OPS are sending out emails all day ignoring our high turnover rate and how understaffed and BADLY scheduled staff we have. Our training is not covering all the issues Hulu has, they don't train you on how we bait and switch our product, our technical issues (there are some that haven't been fixed in 2 years), and our pay is not covering the amount of stress this job will give you. The service always breaks and you will find yourself venting about this job more than praising it. It IS a call center now, and by far one of the worst ones in San Antonio. Nice office, but the compensation for employees is garbage.

You MIGHT be able to scoot into a comfy position in the building if you go for a promotion IMMEDIATELY IF they are hiring for it. Oh and don't get stuck with a bad TM. Because then you have no chance of promotion until you are hopefully removed from their team. There isn't much of a worklife balance here, as you will have managers requesting you to do things on your days off, come in for the shift bids on your days off, etc.
    Oh and just to add, there is no paid lunch. Just two 15 breaks which is honestly not enough for the amount of stress.

Advice to Management

Pay attention to your workers. Give them the compensation or raise that they deserve to be dealing with this stress all day every day. This shouldn't be as expected, because many of us were hired on hearing it "wasn't supposed to be like this".

"Just a paycheck"

Former Employee - Customer Service in San Antonio, TX
    Former Employee - Customer Service in San Antonio, TX

I worked at Hulu full-time

Pros

Paid lunch (one hour). Two 15 minute breaks, unless you have opted into OT.
    Pay was somewhat decent.
    Health insurance benefits & 401k.
    PTO, some sick time
    Free Hulu
    Occassional free swag
    Company
    Raises & quarterly/annual bonuses

Cons

Everything else.
    -PTO process was incredibly frustrating and it was felt through the entire workforce. Requests were denied 99% of the time and managers had to fight their way for their teams to get requests approved. You get a total of 3 sick days (24 hours) to use for the entire year. Attendance policy was strict. Unless you had a doctors note every single time, you were given a warning which went by a verbal, written, & final system. Even then, there were no guarantees it would be excused.
    -Advancement was not based much off of hard work; rather who you knew, how well you knew them, and how much you were willing to "play nice". Favoritism and cliqueness was strong. Don't expect any of your attempts at improving yourself or going above and beyond to be seen nor appreciated.
    -It very much felt like department against department as well. TMs against the WFM team. OMs against everyone else.
    -This is very much a call center environment. Do not expect to have any breaks rather than your 15 minute breaks, one hour lunch, and the 30 minutes MAX per week personal time your allotted. *Keep in mind, using the personal time only hurt you in the long term for shift bids
    -You maybe have 2-3 months out of the entire year to look forward to for a break in calls due to the way TV schedule is designed. This job will suck your soul out. Lots of irate and irrational customers who call in on the daily.
    -Shift bids (every 4-6 months) that have zero transparency of how they're broken down. It's explained on what's taken into consideration, but when the actual shift bids come around; you are just given a number with no explanation as to why you are that rank. You can be told my your direct manager you did an amazing job that shift bid, but you're still given a low ranking. You will likely be stuck with the busiest shifts (mid shifts and the evening shifts).
    -There are more issues happening with the service than good things. This, in turn, causes a high volume in contacts.

Advice to Management

Please look into improving the things you already have before implementing new changes. The base product should work at 100% with little to no flaws before trying to add and implement new features and interfaces. With so many random issues sprouting up each day, this is causing high volume contacts. Contacts that shouldn't be happening for a company that's now been around for a decade. You'll find that the VX department as well as the back end departments, less stressed and more happier. Does it make sense to add new things when the current things don't work perfectly? Please look into a better WFM team. The workforce team, specifically the day team, are causing a massive amount of grief for VXAs and even TMs. It should be ONE TEAM. Culture has definitely changed drastically for this place. The values Hulu once held no longer exist.

If you want your Hulugans to care about not just the product, but the viewers we provide a service to; some big changes would need to happen.