Hulu Reviews | Glassdoor

Hulu CEO Randy Freer
Randy Freer

Sort: PopularRatingDate

Pros
Cons
  • "If you have a family forget seeing them because there is no understand of work life balance from the marketing teams" (in 18 reviews)

• "Just a few growing pains but its also exciting to help have such an impact" (in 18 reviews)

"Hulu"

Current Employee - Anonymous Employee in Santa Monica, CA

I have been working at Hulu (More than a year)

Pros

friendly people. great culture and environment

Cons

there are no cons everything is great.

2. "VX Operations Center Analyst"

I worked at Hulu full-time

Pros

Fun Environment, teamwork, perks, location

Cons

Heavy workload, nights, weekends, unable to WFH

"Great for experience, bad for pay"

I have been working at Hulu full-time

Pros

It appears everybody in multiple departments have the opportunity to get their hands dirty on many different projects. There are always last minute emergencies that sound bad, but help you gain much experience in little time working here. Lastly, the company has monthly "wind downs" where news about the company and upcoming things are shared so the employees are in the loop.

Cons

Things can be sporadic and it's next to impossible to find out who is the right person to go to when you have a question. Also as the title suggest, the pay is relatively low compared to any other similar industry. The worst part is the company knows about this through company surveys, but refuses to seriously acknowledge it. The response management gives is "we're in line with other companies in the industry", which every single person that leaves the company for a similar role at another company confirms is completely false. However, the benefits other than base pay are good.

Advice to Management

I know that content probably costs alot but at least get real when telling people why they're getting underpaid. Don't bold-face lie to them about having the same pay as other companies. It's insulting and it's the always in the top 2 reasons why people leave

"Lack of Strong Central Leadership and No Trust Between Teams"

Former Employee - Marketing in Santa Monica, CA
    Former Employee - Marketing in Santa Monica, CA

I worked at Hulu full-time (More than 3 years)

Pros

-Pay is competitive for people in Creative and Content realms; less competitive in the Tech and Product side
    -Good 401K match
    -Plenty of nice, intelligent, fun people working there
    -Hulu is very support of learning new skills on the job
    -Not very forward thinking with investment in tech

Cons

-No trust between departments and teams within departments. VPs and up are known to try to undermine colleagues
    -Lack of clear direction: Hulu is still a hedge by its owners (ABC/Disney, NBC, Fox, Time Warner) against threats that they don't fully understand. New services can be launched without justification beyond Board desire
    -Senior leadership is afraid of making big decisions that might bother the new CEO
    -CEO wants Hulu to be much more corporate. Great if that's what you're looking for, but don't go in expecting a visionary leader who cares about the employees

Advice to Management

Make decisions and stick to them, then communicate those decisions outwardly. Hulu either lacks a clear plan for its employees or doesn't know how to communicate that plan, both of which are problematic.

Embrace change. It's clear Hulu is becoming more corporate and the traditional "Hulugan" culture means less now -- and that's okay. Accepting that is fine. Paying lip service to old values and spending excessive time on events meant to artificially boost morale (without actually helping employees) is less okay.

5. "A great place to work!"

I have been working at Hulu full-time

Pros

A great place to work!

Cons

Not that I know of

6. "software engineer"

I have been working at Hulu full-time

Pros

good benetif pto vacation off

Cons

management did care about employee

"Great place to grow, learn and explore but still much work to do."

Current Employee - Sales Planner in Santa Monica, CA
    Current Employee - Sales Planner in Santa Monica, CA

I have been working at Hulu full-time (More than 3 years)

Pros

Ever changing landscape and technology
    Benefits galore from student loan payments, find perks, open vacation and health benefits

Cons

Competitive salary
    Vast changes to structure of company so soon and unexpectedly
    1,000 plus employees (hard to get to know everyone)

"Great perks, just wasn't given enough growth opportunities"

I worked at Hulu full-time

Pros

Great benefits. Great office space. Unlimited time off. Free beer and wine. Relaxation room. Good bonus if you stick around for confusing ltip to start stacking. Mostly good work/life balance. Good location in Santa Monica, 10 minutes away from 3rd street.

Cons

Not given enough growth opportunities or promotions even when I pushed for it although I received good annual reviews. For the higher positions that opened up, they would always hire from the outside rather than promoting people from within, at least in my department. The pay gap was huge too between people who had been loyal and stuck with the company vs new people who got hired, as the new hire got sometimes around 10k more. I saw a lot of good, talented employees not being noticed at all and only the people who were loudly marketing themselves got promoted. A lot of people wanted to leave the team I was on including the management, and some did leave for other teams within the company. Long hours at times. A lot of people didn't see a future in the team and were pretty discouraged. A lot of people on my team had problems getting promoted (and had to compete with new hires like it was a new position vs it just being a natural transition in their career track) and soon as they left, they went up to some crazy director level position at another equally big company.

Advice to Management

Appreciate the people who are loyal to your company. I don't k now about now, but that's why the turnover rate was fairly high.

"Viewer Experience Advocate"

I have been working at Hulu full-time

Pros

Free Hulu, no dress code, ability to do homework or anything when not busy

Cons

Management, advancement, PTO, attendance policy , pay

"Software Engineer"

Pros

Great work life balance, excellent teammates.

Cons

Not that busy, the product is already well developed.