Human Longevity Reviews | Glassdoor

Updated May 8, 2019

Found 56 reviews

2.3
David Karow
Pros
  • "With the current leadership, HLI has been more productive in the last 6 months than the company has ever been(in 7 reviews)

• "The company is making new strides within Genetics/Genomics and as such runs into new hurdles that weren't there the day before(in 4 reviews)

Cons
  • "Although past business decisions have been frustrating, I would like to attribute that to HLI trying to be disruptive in the field(in 9 reviews)

• "Insane rate of hiring and growth (probably more than 50 in six months period) leads to very poor management and highly political environment(in 3 reviews)

1. Featured Review

"Energizing work atmosphere with a fantastic vision for healthcare"

I have been working at Human Longevity full-time

Pros

Having been through some ups and downs like any other start-up, HLI will constantly challenge you intellectually and give you a platform to use and improve your skills towards achieving the company's vision to revolutionize human health. I personally have had the the opportunity to work with some of the smartest people and use some of the latest technologies which helps the company be efficient in addition to improving...

Cons

Although past business decisions have been frustrating, I would like to attribute that to HLI trying to be disruptive in the field. Having full transparency of company goals and focussing on them will keep the employees engaged and motivated. Efforts for employee retention can be improved

Advice to Management

To the new management, we are much better off than we were and we hope to achieve the new goals.

Human Longevity2018-12-19

"A real turn around in progress"

Current Employee - Anonymous Employee in San Diego, CA

I have been working at Human Longevity full-time for more than a year

Pros

Real changes are happening to improve what was once a toxic culture. Phenomenally smart people. Real commitment to a common purpose that inspires me and seems to inspire my colleagues.

Cons

Still a fair amount work to do in order to become a viable company.

Advice to Management

Stay the course!

Human Longevity2018-12-21

"Clueless C Level, Narcissistic Culture of Amateurs Protecting Their Gigs"

Former Employee - Anonymous Employee in San Diego, CA

I worked at Human Longevity full-time for more than a year

Pros

Nothing, not even one thing.

Cons

Inept staff and management, the unqualified low intelligent employees are promoted with meaningless titles filling gaps from originally competent employees that resigned, culture misogynistic and HR responds as the useless puppets they are, shameful and dishonest practices, classic scam artists - any employees with integrity and ethics are gone. Totally incapable of fixing this cluster at every turn.

Advice to Management

Go sell used cars, hustlers and swindlers do well in that arena. Protecting your money hemorrhaging gigs - its days are numbered. Investors and partners might be on to you now. Place should be shut down.

Human Longevity2019-05-08

"An unscrupulous money grab and a dead end for your career."

I worked at Human Longevity full-time for more than 3 years

Pros

None, there are absolutely none.

Cons

If you thrive on incompetence, zero work ethic, lack of integrity and unprofessionalism, this is the place for you!

Advice to Management

Find new careers because you lack all the skills needed to manage or lead. Stop the lying, the money grab and find a moral compass.

Human Longevity2019-05-05

"Promising Company Badly Managed"

Former Employee - Scientist

I worked at Human Longevity full-time for more than 3 years

Pros

There are/were some really talented people who were passionate about the stated goals of the company.

Cons

Ultimately HLI didn’t know what it wanted to be: a genomics company, a data company, a healthcare provider, an alternative to 23AndMe. Ultimately, it turned out to be none of those and I doubt their new plan (and there was always a new plan) is any better.

Advice to Management

Hire and retain people who know what they’re doing and take a long hard look at those who don’t.

Human Longevity2019-03-10

"Let's be real"

I have been working at Human Longevity full-time

Pros

With the current leadership, HLI has been more productive in the last 6 months than the company has ever been. Previously, HLI was trying to run five different business at once all completely understaffed. Now, it is focusing on what the company is actually good at, science and technology. The bioinformatics team and machine learning team contain some of the most brilliant minds I have had the pleasure of working with....

Cons

It is a start up, so constant change is something we have all gotten used to here, but I am hoping with our current direction, there will continue be more focus moving forward. By no means is HLI perfect, but it has potential.

Human Longevity2018-12-14

"Clueless people with big egos"

I have been working at Human Longevity full-time

Pros

Craig Venter started the company with a lofty vision

Cons

Craig is gone and whoever still left is incompetent. The company is not likely to be around for another 6 months.

Advice to Management

Just shut it down

Human Longevity2019-01-09

"Employee"

I worked at Human Longevity full-time for more than 3 years

Pros

Started out as something special under Dr. Craig Venters vision. Lots of bright, dynamic, hard working people in the beginning. Esthetically pleasing facility.

Cons

There are so many....CEO/CTO clueless. Every level promotes undeserving people not qualified or skilled for a particular job. Leadership has literally told employees to lie. Political nightmare, in my Life I have NEVER seen so much backstabbing, lying, unprofessional behavior, immaturity, harassment, bullying, lack of respect or authority. Almost daily violations of research protocol with powers at be covering up. I...

Advice to Management

Resign, nothing could help. The smart, honest, talented people are gone, you’re left with puppets that you’ll manipulated. Can you say TITANIC ?? Sinking Ship

Human Longevity2019-01-03

"Would not recommend"

Former Employee - Scientist in La Jolla, CA

I worked at Human Longevity full-time for more than 3 years

Pros

Generous compensation, benefits and free stuff. Great location.

Cons

At every level, managers and leadership is clueless with respect to experience and expertise. Random folks get promoted by fluke because a sudden void was created when able leaders left or were fired. Folks with skill, experience and knowledge are ignored. How do you expect to create a product with folks with lack of experience and knowledge are made in-charge of guiding product development? The result: micro/mis-management,...

Advice to Management

Nothing that can help at this point..

Human Longevity2019-01-02

"Anything positive you see here is written by HR"

I worked at Human Longevity full-time for more than 3 years

Pros

Nothing. Not one thing.

Cons

Just Google them. Don't rely on a bogus job board that is manipulated by HR to try and hide what is really going on. The company has dwindled down from a powerhouse to nothing. That's not "exciting" and "lots of opportunity", its a sinking ship.

Advice to Management

You had a great team and you swept them all out. I guarantee everyone else left is just waiting for their job offer.

Human Longevity2018-12-21