Human Made Reviews | Glassdoor

Human Made Reviews

Updated Jul 22, 2019

Found 10 reviews

4.8
Human Made CEO Tom Willmot (no image)
Tom Willmot
  1. "Amazing, people-first, transparent and progressive remote work"

Current Employee - Product Support Engineer in Lebanon, IN

I have been working at Human Made full-time for more than 3 years

Pros

The Human Made culture is open and accepting; Human Made is exceedingly flexible; they work with your personal skills and family needs, and encourage growth in and beyond your role with the company

Cons

If you aren't used to working remotely, there is an adjustment period. Even when you are used to working remotely, it can sometimes be challenging.

Human Made2019-07-22
  2. "Challenging Work and Engaged Management"

Current Employee - Senior Engineer in Fort Collins, CO

I have been working at Human Made full-time for more than 3 years

Pros

Human Made provides the opportunity to work on some truly massive enterprise clients and an employer that really cares about you as a person. The culture and benefits are distinctly European in quality and values, but the work ethic of employees and management is un-matched worldwide. The company is fully remote, which creates an environment that matches and supports you as a remote employee. It's also quite fun... to work with co-workers from 4 different continents that all bring their own cultural values and nuance to the conversation. Overall, Human Made is a fantastic place to work and I would highly recommend it to anyone looking for work in this field.

Cons

Due to the fully-remote nature of the company, you have to be quite independent and willing to go long stretches without seeing your co-workers in person. This is a failing of working remotely more than a reflection on Human Made, but important to remember when looking at a job of this type.

Human Made2018-10-17
  3. "Great place to work"

Current Employee - Senior Web Engineer in Salt Lake City, UT

I have been working at Human Made full-time for more than a year

Pros

I've been working at Human Made for just about 2 years and everything, from the top down, is a breath of fresh air in the world of enterprise-level WordPress development agencies. Executives are open, honest and transparent, the culture is actively trying to foster personal growth, empowerment and diverse interests and ideas and the work is cutting edge, engaging, challenging and forward-thinking. I used to have a... list of companies I might like to work at, now I just have one.

Cons

Because Human Made empowers you to think for yourself and take initiative and responsibility for your own work, it's not the sort of place that would work well if you are someone who needs direction or regular check-ins. As a Human Made employee, you need to be willing, and eager, to take initiative, speak for yourself, and solve problems on your own rather than waiting for direction. The company is entirely... remote, which can feel isolating, especially if you are not used to remote work.

Human Made2018-10-15
  4. "Reinvigorated my passion for technology"

Current Employee - Systems Engineer in Vacaville, CA

I have been working at Human Made full-time for more than a year

Pros

As someone who's been a freelancer for most of their career, working at Human Made has been awesome. It's provided me the same level of flexibility and freedom of being a contractor with the stability of working for a company. Before coming to work for Human Made, I was making plans to exit technology, but since working my desire to stay in the industry has been renewed and I am very thankful. I was getting sick of... the culture surrounding tech and they have been so refreshing to be around and work with. HM has an extremely generous vacation policy and has been very understanding when family issues arise that need immediate attention. I also have never felt so confident working _for_ someone as I do here. They consistently seek feedback from everyone on how they can improve and put the feedback into practice consistently. For instance, we have a company-wide feedback survey that gets issued out twice a year, so we're constantly working on how we can improve. One of the other things I greatly enjoy about working here is the significant amount of knowledge that's under our roof. Some of the biggest thinkers and contributors to the WordPress development community is under our roof and it's great to work with that sort of talent on a consistent basis.

Cons

It's not so much a con of working for Human Made as it is one for working remotely: feeling isolated. We do a good job promoting connection, but it can still be easy to feel isolated if you don't know how to mitigate it. We have regular calls, usually one a week or every other week as well as a company wide retreat annually and a team retreat where we get together in person.

Advice to Management

Keep up the good work! I'm proud to work here and thankful for the opportunity!

Human Made2018-10-15
  5. "Great people at a great company"

Current Employee - Senior WordPress Engineer

I have been working at Human Made full-time for more than 3 years

Pros

Strong support from the company for personal well-being. Communication is strong. Company has modern forwarding-thinking attitudes in many areas, including amazing holiday and parental leave policies. Historically varied client base, often with interesting work and interesting clients. I’m not sure if this as a pro or a con, but the company is not afraid of changing the direction of the ship (albeit only about... once a year).

Cons

Underdeveloped personal development and progression processes. Not everyone is held to the same standards, including some of those in leadership roles. Due to the regional nature of work allocations, you tend to work in the same sorts of teams with the same sorts of people. This can feel stale after some time.

Human Made2019-04-03
  6. "A remarkable employer"

Current Employee - Cloud Engineer in Matlock, England

I have been working at Human Made full-time for more than 5 years

Pros

If you want to work with brilliant people, and build cool things, challenge yourself to grow, contribute to a growing company, share ideas, and work in a positive environment than HM's a good place. Leadership are compassionate, thoughtful, and never beyond reach.

Cons

Scaled from 5 to 70 odd people has been a journey, and like all journey's there are twists and turns, but it's all been worth it. The challenges of scaling a company is a good challenge to have!

7. "Dream job"

Current Employee - Senior Project Manager and Certified Scrum Master

I have been working at Human Made full-time for more than a year

Pros

Remote work isn't for everyone, but it was one of my search criteria when I set out to look for employment after 15 years of freelancing, and a total of 20 years of entrepreneurship. Human Made also checked a lot of other boxes: it is, as the name suggests, a company that truly cares about its people first; growth is not only possible but encouraged; we have a high level of autonomy and the trust that goes with; I... am challenged every day; I work with the best and the brightest in the web industry.

Cons

Again, remote work is not for everyone, but the company supports needs to co-work, and if you're keen to travel, it is possible to work from anywhere. If you are not self-organized and autonomous, this may not be the place for you.

Human Made2018-10-15
  8. "Great People, Great Outlook, Great place to work."

Current Employee - IT Senior Project Manager in Melbourne

I have been working at Human Made full-time for more than a year

Pros

The company really cares about its employees; not only in terms of their benefits but in they way they support and encourage them to look after their wellbeing and help support their growth and professional development.

Cons

They're currently experiencing growing pains and sometimes that can be felt 'on the floor'. To be fair they're aware of the challenges and are actively working to ensure that they overcome those and still maintain their awesome company culture and great employee experience.

Human Made2018-10-15
  9. "Incredible people to work with"

Current Employee - Director of Hosting Operations in Hobart

I have been working at Human Made full-time for more than 3 years

Pros

Working with intelligent, thoughtful, generous, and skilled people on meaningful projects, but in an environment that's small enough and close-knit enough to allow for personal input is very rewarding, and not so easy to find.

Cons

Remote work isn't for everyone, though having worked in several remote roles, I can say that Human Made does its best to help newcomers to remote work with acclimating.

Human Made2018-10-16
  10. "A company that puts its employees wellbeing first"

Current Employee - Web Engineer in Manchester, England

I have been working at Human Made full-time for more than 5 years

Pros

Unparalleled flexibility in terms of working hours and holidays, this has been invaluable for me. Projects and colleagues who consistently push you out of your comfort zone. You are expected to continuously learn and improve. The best developers in our space are an instant message away, and we foster a collaborative approach to problem solving. A fresh approach to management which focuses on providing support... and a framework to grow rather than impose arbitrary performance goals.

Cons

As mentioned by others, the hands off approach to management, and need for a self driven, self organised mindset can translate to a feeling of isolation. Although there are initiatives to combat this such as monthly local meetups.

Human Made2018-10-17