Human Rights Campaign Reviews | Glassdoor

Chad Griffin

Sort: PopularRatingDate

1. "Poorly run"

I worked at Human Rights Campaign full-time (More than a year)

Pros

I worked my way up from an intern to full-time employment while I was still a undergrad in DC. I met some great people who I still keep in touch with today.

Cons

Not a great place to grow and they pay very low. Finance Department is all over the place and the people who are running the department obviously do not know what they're doing. If you know someone in the company, you'll definitely get in even if you're not qualified. For a company that is supposed to support equality, many employees are not treated that way.

Advice to Management

Hire on managers and employees that are actually qualified for the job. Also, use the money that is donated to this non-profit towards its mission, not parties.

"HRC does not value it's support staff, & sexist"

Former Employee - Coordinator
    Former Employee - Coordinator

I worked at Human Rights Campaign full-time (More than a year)

Pros

-My immediate supervisor was nice, and it's a pretty building.
    -Sometimes you get free food.
    -Sometimes you do get to see the positive things the org does and it can make it all seem worth it (for a second).

Cons

HRC lives up to it's image as an upper class "gay men's" organization. If you're not "in" with the gay men who run this organization, don't expect any upward mobility. Expect sexism and cliquiness among employees.

There is extremely high support staff turnover here because people continually quit after they are burnt out from being overworked, not taken seriously, and lousy pay. There is little to no onboarding, and most departments are disorganized and strapped. Support staff in general have a negative attitude towards management, which didn't improve in my 2+ years there.

Advice to Management

Work hard to retain employees instead of seeing every position as immediately replacable.

3. "director"

Former Employee - Anonymous Employee in Washington, DC

I worked at Human Rights Campaign (More than a year)

Pros

The support of other people trying to leave the organization was fantastic.

Cons

A very hostile work environment.

"Proceed with extreme caution"

Former Employee - Program Assistant in Washington, DC
    Former Employee - Program Assistant in Washington, DC

I worked at Human Rights Campaign full-time (More than a year)

Pros

- Great for a one year entry-level position right out of college
    - Strong brand recognition
    - Comprehensive benefits

Cons

- Lack of growth opportunites or investment
    - Low employee morale and high turnover
    - Very little diversity
    - Non-competitive salaries

Advice to Management

Clear communication, transparency, and fostering a culture of encouragement and professional development would do wonders for staff morale and reduce turnover. Also, requiring all supervisory staff and executive leadership to take management and diversity training.

5. "Depends on the person"

Former Employee - Canvasser in New York, NY
    Former Employee - Canvasser in New York, NY

Pros

You get to see the city you get to see it while collecting money.

Cons

Boring work standing for eight hours, depends on the person. Not for me for sure, getting paid minimum wage is too little.

Advice to Management

Pay more minimum wage not enough

6. "Challenging environment"

Pros

Solid benefits and technology. Good co-workers. Access to meeting lots of people from across the country.

Cons

Lack of transparency or direction. Poor communication from management. Lots of turnover and burn-out. Little to no room for career growth. Big inequality with salaries.

7. "Bad time overall, they hire anyone immediately"

Former Employee - Canvasser in Washington, DC
    Former Employee - Canvasser in Washington, DC

I worked at Human Rights Campaign full-time (Less than a year)

Pros

For a good cause, some nice people to work with

Cons

Bad pay, bad hours, cult-like mentality, no knowledge that a canvasser is a human

8. "Not worth it."

Current Employee - Coordinator
    Current Employee - Coordinator

I have been working at Human Rights Campaign full-time (More than a year)

Pros

I met some of my favorite people in DC here. Occasionally we get opportunities to do really fun things like Lobby Day on the hill or travel around the country for Pride season or election work.

Cons

Where do i even start...the upper management here, particularly on the VP and SVP level, create an incredibly harmful culture in the office. They treat lower-tier staff as totally expendable and have no respect for anyone that's below the Director level. People are not seen as individuals with lives outside of work, and the higher-ups only care about employees insofar as the work gets done. In my 10+ years in the workforce, I have never been treated so disrespectfully by an employer as I am at HRC. Turnover is very high in lower-level positions because of this, and advancement is nearly impossible because most of the upper-level staff have been here for decades and have no intention of leaving anytime soon. The pay discrepancy between management and support staff is immense, with many entry level staff below the poverty line while upper management all make six figures. As long as the current upper management is in place, I would avoid HRC.

Advice to Management

Cultivate relationships with your employees, and be more respectful. Don't make decisions purely based on your own whims, and consider how you're affecting the people that work for you. Be more transparent with your employees by talking directly to them about your needs and criticisms rather than relying on the chain of command to get the message across. Avoiding direct communication makes employees feel like you think we're below you.

"Stay far away from this nightmare of an organization."

I worked at Human Rights Campaign full-time (More than a year)

Pros

The brand recognition - that's about it. Employers may be impressed because it's an instantly recognizable and large organization, but other than that, there are little pros if you value your worth and sanity.

Cons

Where to even begin? I worked as both an intern and full-time employee. As an intern, I was treated wonderfully. I remember junior level staff telling me about how miserable they were at the time, but didn't believe them or reasoned that it must have just been specific to their department. Nope. There is literally an office culture that encourages misery, overworking, low pay - you name it. It's disappointing as there is so much potential, but the programmatic work appears to be valued far above their employees.

I quickly realized my work and time weren't valued. I was told by my boss that because he only spent a short amount of time with his family each day, I should never expect anything different for myself. In other words, work-life balance is nonexistent. Fair enough for DC, I suppose, but being told in such a way seemed unnecessarily rude.

His personal motto was "save your own self." (He used a different word than "self," but you get the point). And boy, did HRC live up to this motto. There was so much interdepartmental fighting that it became incredibly difficult to get work done (coupled with screaming matches between senior staff in the hallways). Every department was there to "save their own self" and often times flat out refused to work with one another. This made everyone's jobs far more difficult and time consuming than they needed to be. If one department had an issue with the upper level management in another, they'd take it out on junior staff. For instance, I was once told by a senior member of the legal department that "their eight year old child could do a better job" at my position than I could. When my boss asked for an apology, the employee refused.

The high turn over rate across the board leaves massive gaps in training. For instance, I was never onboarded, given no materials from my predecessor, and didn't even have an official boss for the first month of my employment. I was left scrambling to fill in the gaps of my role while the entire department was in flux.

Who knows whether HR ever learns about what goes on. I was strongly discouraged from conducting an exit interview, something I still regret.

To top it all off - HRC, having "learned" from their missteps with certain members of the LGBT community in the past, is very conscious of putting forward a good image. This is sometimes to the detriment of their own staff. It's no fault of the employees themselves, but management chooses to sideline some staff members in order to put their "best face" out into the media. This was a complaint I heard time and time again from employees who had worked diligently only to feel they were sidelined at the end of the day.

Fortunately, I've had the pleasure to work at other places in DC since my time at HRC, and have since learned that not everyone treats their staff this way. It's so unfortunate that there is such a negative culture at this organization, as they really do good work.

Some staff are truly great, but get lost in the shuffle of a group that cares far more about good PR than they do their own employees. It's a shame and so disappointing when you truly do have some staff that care deeply about the work and cause.

Advice to Management

Treat your employees with respect. Value their time, work, and input. Some departments seem better at this than others, but an overall culture where work is appreciated across the board would be helpful. I saw far more time and energy put into the happiness of interns (though perhaps this was the difference in departments) than I did the actual employees.

Likewise, include your staff in meetings when appropriate/ necessary -- shutting staff out (both junior and senior) of meetings they ought to participate in does nothing to build working relationships. It also makes it incredibly difficult to build strategies across departments or even among members of your own team.

10. "Talk to Current and Former Staff before you accept here"

Current Employee - Events Manager in Washington, DC
    Current Employee - Events Manager in Washington, DC

I have been working at Human Rights Campaign full-time (More than 3 years)

Pros

Good cause and good for your resume. People there are good contacts for you and will stay connected to you later on down the road.

Cons

They will haze you the first year and make life or any idea of work/life balance impossible. Proceed with caution.

Advice to Management

Give back to your employees and listen to authentic feedback