Human Rights Campaign Reviews | Glassdoor

Full-timePart-time

2.6
Chad Griffin

Sort: PopularRatingDate

Pros
  • Amazing internship program and great tools provided to us (especially the brown bag lunches (in 4 reviews)

• Work environment wasn't too serious (in 4 reviews)

Cons
  • It was an unpaid internship (this has since changed), which was difficult financially (in 7 reviews)

• In other words, work-life balance is nonexistent (in 3 reviews)

1. "Team Lead - Canvasser"

I worked at Human Rights Campaign full-time

Pros

Awesome employees and amazing people. Workers are very dedicated and they truly care about the work they're performing. If you're great with people and selling it's very easy to get into a groove and continue to make quota.

Cons

It's commission based which creates a quick turn-around. It also feels very sketchy because you're asking for personal information from strangers. The hours are very long and you're standing the entire time flagging people down and pitching to them. It's basically worse than cold calling. You will get rejected and sometimes ridiculed for the work. The "management" usually consists of former canvassers who are very young and immature. The pay is pretty trash unless you're amazing.

Advice to Management

Please make the process more structured and promote based off leadership qualities as opposed to how well one pitches.

2. "Intern"

Pros

Nice work space. Friendly coworkers.

Cons

For a company that is about human rights, they don't pay their interns. Managers have very little faith in your ability to do real work.

Advice to Management

Evaluate the potential of a new intern/hire before making assumptions.

3. "Worthy cause, stressful job as a canvasser"

Former Employee - Canvasser in Chicago, IL
    Former Employee - Canvasser in Chicago, IL

I worked at Human Rights Campaign full-time (Less than a year)

Pros

You get to educate people on the current plights of the LGBTQ+ community and you're pretty much working directly to gain donations for them. A lot of people who aren't in the community aren't really informed, so it's nice to talk to them and interact with people.
    The office is really fun, there are free pizza days and other office events, it's impossible to leave without new friends.

Cons

The quota-based job is really hard sometimes. There are definitely niches that most people have and there will be a couple of days that you don't make quota. You don't get to decide the location so after a few bad sites, you're in trouble.
    Disorganized, there wasn't a lot of communication between the higher ups and canvassers.
    Directors work 60 hours a week and are salaried (not a high one).
    On hot or humid days it was horrible and you will get people who will yell at you.

4. "Nice culture but commission based jobs are almost always stressful"

Former Employee - Canvasser in New York, NY
    Former Employee - Canvasser in New York, NY

I worked at Human Rights Campaign full-time (More than a year)

Pros

The team, getting to travel to different locations, personal satisfaction from working on political rights.

Cons

A lot of pressure to meet quotas, no real benefits, salary was low, can be a very physically exhausting job if you're canvassing in NYC in summer!

Advice to Management

Offer more incentives for employees

"Many Senior Managers Lack Basic Skills"

I worked at Human Rights Campaign full-time (More than 5 years)

Pros

Most employees are passionate about the HRC's goals

Cons

Many senior managers sorely lack basic skills in managing, supporting, and communicating with, their employees.
    Those managers who excel in self-promotion, internally and externally, are rewarded. There is little, if any, oversight of how they treat those who report to them.

6. "Culture"

I have been working at Human Rights Campaign full-time (More than a year)

Pros

Great people in the organization that work there.

Cons

Leadership constantly acts as if they are hiding something.

"Stay far away from this nightmare of an organization."

Former Employee - Anonymous Employee in Washington, DC
    Former Employee - Anonymous Employee in Washington, DC

I worked at Human Rights Campaign full-time (More than a year)

Pros

The brand recognition - that's about it. Employers may be impressed because it's an instantly recognizable and large organization, but other than that, there are little pros if you value your worth and sanity.

Cons

Where to even begin? I worked as both an intern and full-time employee. As an intern, I was treated wonderfully. I remember junior level staff telling me about how miserable they were at the time, but didn't believe them or reasoned that it must have just been specific to their department. Nope. There is literally an office culture that encourages misery, overworking, low pay - you name it. It's disappointing as there is so much potential, but the programmatic work appears to be valued far above their employees.

I quickly realized my work and time weren't valued. I was told by my boss that because he only spent a short amount of time with his family each day, I should never expect anything different for myself. In other words, work-life balance is nonexistent. Fair enough for DC, I suppose, but being told in such a way seemed unnecessarily rude.

His personal motto was "save your own self." (He used a different word than "self," but you get the point). And boy, did HRC live up to this motto. There was so much interdepartmental fighting that it became incredibly difficult to get work done (coupled with screaming matches between senior staff in the hallways). Every department was there to "save their own self" and often times flat out refused to work with one another. This made everyone's jobs far more difficult and time consuming than they needed to be. If one department had an issue with the upper level management in another, they'd take it out on junior staff. For instance, I was once told by a senior member of the legal department that "their eight year old child could do a better job" at my position than I could. When my boss asked for an apology, the employee refused.

The high turn over rate across the board leaves massive gaps in training. For instance, I was never onboarded, given no materials from my predecessor, and didn't even have an official boss for the first month of my employment. I was left scrambling to fill in the gaps of my role while the entire department was in flux.

Who knows whether HR ever learns about what goes on. I was strongly discouraged from conducting an exit interview, something I still regret.

To top it all off - HRC, having "learned" from their missteps with certain members of the LGBT community in the past, is very conscious of putting forward a good image. This is sometimes to the detriment of their own staff. It's no fault of the employees themselves, but management chooses to sideline some staff members in order to put their "best face" out into the media. This was a complaint I heard time and time again from employees who had worked diligently only to feel they were sidelined at the end of the day.

Fortunately, I've had the pleasure to work at other places in DC since my time at HRC, and have since learned that not everyone treats their staff this way. It's so unfortunate that there is such a negative culture at this organization, as they really do good work.

Some staff are truly great, but get lost in the shuffle of a group that cares far more about good PR than they do their own employees. It's a shame and so disappointing when you truly do have some staff that care deeply about the work and cause.

Advice to Management

Treat your employees with respect. Value their time, work, and input. Some departments seem better at this than others, but an overall culture where work is appreciated across the board would be helpful. I saw far more time and energy put into the happiness of interns (though perhaps this was the difference in departments) than I did the actual employees.

Likewise, include your staff in meetings when appropriate/ necessary -- shutting staff out (both junior and senior) of meetings they ought to participate in does nothing to build working relationships. It also makes it incredibly difficult to build strategies across departments or even among members of your own team.

8. "Not worth it."

Current Employee - Coordinator
    Current Employee - Coordinator

I have been working at Human Rights Campaign full-time (More than a year)

Pros

I met some of my favorite people in DC here. Occasionally we get opportunities to do really fun things like Lobby Day on the hill or travel around the country for Pride season or election work.

Cons

Where do i even start...the upper management here, particularly on the VP and SVP level, create an incredibly harmful culture in the office. They treat lower-tier staff as totally expendable and have no respect for anyone that's below the Director level. People are not seen as individuals with lives outside of work, and the higher-ups only care about employees insofar as the work gets done. In my 10+ years in the workforce, I have never been treated so disrespectfully by an employer as I am at HRC. Turnover is very high in lower-level positions because of this, and advancement is nearly impossible because most of the upper-level staff have been here for decades and have no intention of leaving anytime soon. The pay discrepancy between management and support staff is immense, with many entry level staff below the poverty line while upper management all make six figures. As long as the current upper management is in place, I would avoid HRC.

Advice to Management

Cultivate relationships with your employees, and be more respectful. Don't make decisions purely based on your own whims, and consider how you're affecting the people that work for you. Be more transparent with your employees by talking directly to them about your needs and criticisms rather than relying on the chain of command to get the message across. Avoiding direct communication makes employees feel like you think we're below you.

9. "Not easy"

Pros

Motivated Canvass Directors. Friendly atmosphere

Cons

Very difficult to. Minimal training

10. "Bad time overall, they hire anyone immediately"

Former Employee - Canvasser in Washington, DC
    Former Employee - Canvasser in Washington, DC

I worked at Human Rights Campaign full-time (Less than a year)

Pros

For a good cause, some nice people to work with

Cons

Bad pay, bad hours, cult-like mentality, no knowledge that a canvasser is a human