Humana Reviews in Cincinnati, OH | Glassdoor

Updated January 9, 2018

Cincinnati, OH Area

Sort: PopularRatingDate

Pros
Cons
  • Offering zero work/life balance due to the nature of the occurrence system (in 62 reviews)

• Health insurance is high deductible only (in 95 reviews)

"Do not work here!"

Current Employee - Certified Pharmacy Technician in Cincinnati, OH
    Current Employee - Certified Pharmacy Technician in Cincinnati, OH

I have been working at Humana full-time (More than a year)

Pros

Benefits are nice and the pay is good. Those are the only perks to working for the place. Otherwise, it's not worth it.

Cons

Retaliation against employees for whistle blowing on unethical work place practices is standard here. It's difficult to be promoted unless you are friends with the right person. They treat employees like bodies in their seats. If you use the restroom while not on a break or lunch they will scold you like a child. This is a healthcare company that does not allow employees to have a few days to call in sick without being written up. If you break your leg and miss a half a day for it they would put that into your record and it would put you one day closer to being written up. They say they take circumstances like this into account but they don't and will include events like this in their reasoning for letting people go. If you get sick while at work they send you home and count it against you. Sexual harassment has been a problem here and they brush it under the rug and just move the offenders around from department to department. All the leaders sleep with one another and they do favors for certain people even if it means they're breaking the law. Avoid this place for your sanity's sake.

Advice to Management

Listen to your employees and value them. Keep it in your pants. Have some integrity and morals or values. Promote people who are best for he job and not your friends.

Humana Response

Aug 21, 2017 – Project Manager

Hello,
    Thank you for your candor in this review. We would like to look into your comments further. Can you send a message to the HR Digital mailbox. You can find us in the company directory. Thanks... More

2. "Great place to work"

Former Employee - Certified Pharmacy Technician in Springdale, OH
    Former Employee - Certified Pharmacy Technician in Springdale, OH

I worked at Humana full-time (More than 3 years)

Pros

great work culture
    great benefits
    great pay

Cons

set hours not much flexibility

3. "Cold call center"

Former Employee - Collector in Cincinnati, OH
    Former Employee - Collector in Cincinnati, OH

I worked at Humana full-time (Less than a year)

Pros

Paid and one good manager in Springdale pharmacy location

Cons

Cold atmosphere most managers cold mean and you couldn't leave your desk
    Terrible job left as soon as I found another job

Advice to Management

More team atmosphere act like you care a little bit treAt employees good and in return they will work harder more freedom

"Personal Health Coach"

Current Employee - Personal Health Coach in Cincinnati, OH
    Current Employee - Personal Health Coach in Cincinnati, OH

I have been working at Humana full-time (More than 3 years)

Pros

Opportunity to grow is great.

Cons

Being a company that appreciates out of the box thinking, it is hard to know when are why your efforts are being appreciated. Longevity, degrees, loyalty does not always add up to getting a raise.

Advice to Management

Help employees understand the big picture, and consider annual cost of living increases and bonuses.

"Personal Health Coach"

Former Employee - Health Care Coordinator in Cincinnati, OH
    Former Employee - Health Care Coordinator in Cincinnati, OH

I worked at Humana full-time (More than 3 years)

Pros

paid volunteer hrs, work from home, no wjnds/holidays

Cons

poor office environment, eavesdropping, very unqualifed coaches and out of touch upper mgmt...typical insurance company..alot of smoke blown but no foundation, very top heavy with way overpaid mgrs

Advice to Management

thin out your upper mgmt and Bruce needs to come on down outta that tower...way too many chiefs who also need to be laid off like the thousands you dumped already

"Personal Health Coordinator"

Current Employee - Anonymous Employee in Cincinnati, OH
    Current Employee - Anonymous Employee in Cincinnati, OH

I have been working at Humana full-time (Less than a year)

Pros

The pay is good and you work from home

Cons

Constant changes, focus is more on numbers than members

Advice to Management

None

"Pharmacy Specialty Dispensing"

Current Employee - Anonymous Employee in West Chester, OH
    Current Employee - Anonymous Employee in West Chester, OH

I have been working at Humana full-time (More than 5 years)

Pros

They have some Great team member. It has a nice laid back atmosphere. Four ten hours
    work days is the best thing, with always having a three day weekend is great.

Cons

Some of management has a lot to be desired. This place seem to be ran on nepotism.
    If you are part of that you can't do wrong. They promote based on nepotism. You can get a
    leaded jobs just because you worked with someone not what you know.

Advice to Management

Management needs to listen to team members. They need to try not to micromanage
    everything. Just because you are part of leadership doesn't mean you are right.

8. "Short term job"

Former Employee - Customer Service in Springdale, OH
    Former Employee - Customer Service in Springdale, OH

I worked at Humana full-time (More than 3 years)

Pros

Entry level short term training

Cons

Very demanding performance driven company people are expendable

Advice to Management

More team approach have realistic goals

"Please, allow me to explain ..."

Current Employee - Pharmacy Technician in Springdale, OH
    Current Employee - Pharmacy Technician in Springdale, OH

I have been working at Humana full-time (More than 3 years)

Pros

Yes, there are certainly cons here. The pay is good compared to other pharmacies. You get plenty of PTO if there are allotted hours remaining for you to be able to use it. Its a big, beautiful building with a gym on site. There are good departments to work for in Humana as a whole that you can really make careers out of.

Cons

Here is why there are so many mixed feelings on Humana from employees. The 4 worst departments to work in, are production based, metric driven, and managed by a no fault occurrence system that several FLLs get yelled at for not following. In my experience, the worst depts are Item Entry, Data Entry, Pharmacy (both trad mail and specialty) and Customer Service (PCC and CSR). Humana is very large and corporate does not have a strong presence here. Most of the time the left hand doesn't know what the right is doing.

In the above listed departments they monitor every tiny thing you do. That means how often you use the restroom, how often you use the chat function to asks questions or collaborate with other depts to fix problems. They monitor the usual call stats, as well as call quality. The occurrence system is no fault, and I've seen people get multiple occurrences for deaths in the family, or even being so sick they feinted at work.

Of course besides that, its the constantly unhappy customers. Humana has a way of gutting their customers and they people they serve are very vocal about it. The company has a constant method of almost shameless brainwashing. They will encourage FLLs to put on food days, or ask people to join charity events, or show some extremely unknown award we received that no one knew existed and that no one cared about. They will have "culture" days. They will have "theme" days. You see, they use the same brainwashing that other successful office workplaces use to make you take a sense of undeserved pride in your job. All the while they sweat and stress you to the max. Offering zero work/life balance due to the nature of the occurrence system. The metrics are out dated and inaccurate. Call quality is extremely biased. Etc. Etc.

That aside, if you get blessed to KNOW THE RIGHT PEOPLE you can end up in a department on the lower level, where they are treated like human beings and can use the bathroom without supervision. They don't get micro-managed with horrendously soul killing metrics and they get to be the person Humana always said they could be. :D.

So you see? Te company as a whole has big problems, but you don't feel them when you are in the cushy departments that let you act like adults. Then, when you are in the departments I mentioned, and there are several other terrible ones trust me, some fall prey to the brainwashing, and ultimately sell their soul for that paycheck. Trust me ... unless u know ur a lucky person ... you do not want to work here.

Advice to Management

No advice. You will allow the positive reviews to completely discount the negative ones, in order to pad your ever fragile egos. This is not a voice to You, but to the people who suffer to work for you. This is a warning ... because its only been downhill since the merger failed and it will continue to be downhill from here.

"Don't do it. Trust me"

Current Employee - Certified Pharmacy Technician in Springdale, OH
    Current Employee - Certified Pharmacy Technician in Springdale, OH

I have been working at Humana full-time (More than 3 years)

Pros

Above average pay for a Pharmacy Technician, insurance benefits are decent, discounts to local attractions, different sites so you are able to transfer out of state and have a job.

Cons

Where do I start....basically it's all about quantity over quality. Corporate sends down metrics they want you to meet which makes it nearly impossible to be able to also make a patient connection- which is another metric. They have surveys constantly pretending they care about you as an employee, but if you have an ethics related issue with your boss and call the ethics hotline, which is supposed to be anonymous, you are fired the next day. I've seen this happen several times in my two years at this company. They claim they welcome internal transfers and they want you to grow your career with Humana but you only get a transfer if you know someone in the department you want to transfer to- not based on your qualifications or work ethic. Attendance policy is the strictest. As a new hire if you are late or have an emergency where you have to call off four times (this includes being late back from break or lunch) within your first 120 days you are fired. They run this business like we are machines. The problem with that is the patients also suffer. I work here and I will not recommend Humana or Humana services to anyone, and I hate that per my insurance benefits I HAVE to use them. Don't. Work. Here. Money isn't everything, get a job at another pharmacy making a few dollars less but where you aren't physically sick at the thought of going in every morning.

Advice to Management

Humana is going in a very bad direction since the merger failed. We are not workhorses, give us our work/life balance back.

Showing 101 of 2,677 reviews