Humana Reviews | Glassdoor

Humana Reviews

Updated May 24, 2017

Pros
Cons
  • Offering zero work/life balance due to the nature of the occurrence system (in 55 reviews)

• health insurance wasnt the best (in 86 reviews)

"Pharmacy representative"

Former Employee - Call Center Representative in Louisville, KY
    Former Employee - Call Center Representative in Louisville, KY

I worked at Humana full-time

Pros

Pay was good and you could always take overtime on a weekend

Cons

Mandatory OT for the first 6 months. Working 50 hours a week sitting in a chair hooked to a phone and computer gets old. Management was disorganized.

Advice to Management

When all the computers are down and you let reps go home early, yet some choose to stay to be paid for the full day. It's not a good environment to have a team leader walk around yelling at people if they are leaving or staying. Or when they push your chair so they can clean out the person's desk next to you bc they have fired them. It makes everyone feel uncomfortable.

"Don't be deceived"

Current Employee - Health Care Coordinator in Clearwater, FL
    Current Employee - Health Care Coordinator in Clearwater, FL

I have been working at Humana full-time

Pros

Generous PTO
    Work from home
    Volunteer time
    Other wellness Perks
    Those are the only pros

Cons

High management turnover
    Disorganized management

When I first started at Humana I truly felt this was the company I could retire from. Wow have things changed. I have been here less than 2 years and am on my 5th manager. I work in the SNP program which is a big mess. Unrealistic productivity expectations and the company does not care for the members only lining their own pockets. A manager who left confided in me that she was asked to do questionable things that challenged her integrity. When you first join you are made to feel like you made the best career choice. It's only when you are in the door you see the mess this company is in. We went through hell with the audits and the company lost many good people. They don't care about retaining good talent they just bring in more cattle when they burn out the first batch.

Advice to Management

Listen to us and care. Stop the ridiculous pass/fail on the chart audits and acknowledge the good work we do. Stop the ridiculous unrealistic productivity expectations. Employee appreciation week was a joke; the card in the mail was ripped up and put in the trash. This is a billion dollar company, spend money on us instead of the top executives. Actually care about retaining people and stop treating us like cattle.

"To much micromanaging"

Former Employee - Pharmacy Technician in Coppell, TX
    Former Employee - Pharmacy Technician in Coppell, TX

I worked at Humana full-time (Less than a year)

Pros

Good and affordable benefits from day 1
    Good atmosphere

Cons

Management micromanages you to the point where the job is not worth it

Advice to Management

Calm down you are scaring new employees

"Consultant"

Former Employee - Anonymous Employee in Glendale, AZ
    Former Employee - Anonymous Employee in Glendale, AZ

Pros

In a changing industry, landscape

Cons

Silos, poor leadership, mis-managed, fractured strategy

"Well Being"

Former Employee - Frontline Leader in Atlantic, VA
    Former Employee - Frontline Leader in Atlantic, VA

I worked at Humana (More than a year)

Pros

Healthcare Industry
    Work at home days

Cons

Well Being - they talk the talk but don't walk the walk. No equal work/homelife balance.
    Culture - All about financials and numbers, they should care more about their members.
    Providers - can't stand Humana and many want out of the network.
    Leadership - bullies and humiliates with constant coaching.

Advice to Management

Learn how to truly care for your employees, providers, and members!

"Analyst"

Former Employee - Analyst in Louisville, KY
    Former Employee - Analyst in Louisville, KY

I worked at Humana full-time (More than 5 years)

Pros

Humana provides the tools to do your job. They demand a lot of you, but if you do your job you're treated well.

Cons

Who you know, is a major problem. It doesn't matter if you can do the job as long as your "Dad" plays golf with the "director".

Advice to Management

Listen more to your employees. Don't "give" jobs to people that have been there for a while. Don't constantly breathe down your employees necks

"Always Changing"

Current Employee - Anonymous Employee in Plano, TX
    Current Employee - Anonymous Employee in Plano, TX

I have been working at Humana full-time (More than a year)

Pros

Paid Time Off, Ability to work from home, most coworkers are friendly

Cons

every thing changes constantly with little explanation, leadership unwilling to receive feedback, very limited growth opportunities, low pay, raises are low and not connected to performance, lack of clear direction, high turn over rate

Advice to Management

more transparency is needs to create a secure work environment, realistic expectation

"Time to slim down. Look to the future of management."

Former Employee - Consultant in Louisville, KY
    Former Employee - Consultant in Louisville, KY

I worked at Humana full-time (More than 3 years)

Pros

Met some great friends from all walks of life.
    Learned how to face adversity, celebrate the wins.

Cons

Unfortunately, we became friends through mutual hardships at Humana.
    Managers and above admitted to being hired by friends after large layoffs at other companies such as GE, LG&E. Even better, some admitted to having no experience in the role they were filling at Humana.
    I moved to Louisville to become part of the Humana culture I was expertly spoon fed during my interviews. As a Millennial, I wanted to be a part of a team, to help create something bigger than myself. Even if it was part of a profitable corporation.
    I quickly learned, Humana hires, fires, moves people in your area everyday and nothing seems "normal" or transparent.
    Get used to CCing everyone you know on each email so you won't be blamed that someone wasn't informed.
    Save every piece of communication and have it in writing. You may spend more time in meetings proving who caused a problem and who should be blamed, rather than innovating and doing what you were hired for.
    Yes, you have 401k match. Isn't vested until at least two years after purchasing the stock.
    Yes you have education reimbursement, it isn't a given. Areas have a budget and it is awarded by management discretion. If you use it, you may be kept from taking an opportunity in another area of the company until management feels you've paid your debt to them.
    PTO is earned as you go. It's use is at managers' discretion. More than 40 hours for exempt associates is a given. Extreme overtime of 14 hours a day during project deadlines have happened.
    Be prepared to come to work and never see, hear, or know about a co-worker again.
    Don't assume you have rights. Immediately read the Human Resources website. Much of what is offered is "at your manager's discretion and can be revoked at any time ".
    This includes flex time. Work at home. Work from home.

Advice to Management

Clearly define roles. Flatten management reporting structure. Truly engage associate talent. Ask us what our ideas are, ask us what would help us meet our goals, what keeps us from meeting our goals. Throwing automated career management software at the issue doesn't instill confidence that you care.
    I heard multiple online statements from Humana executives about changing to adapt to Millennials and it being a positive adaptation.
    Yet, you aren't doing it. You have to. That's your work force of the future.
    Retrain, or remove those who won't or can't manage Millennial associates. Don't cover it up with Human Resources 4U.

"Corporate"

Former Employee - Medical Assistant/Referral Coordinator in Oakland Park, FL
    Former Employee - Medical Assistant/Referral Coordinator in Oakland Park, FL

I worked at Humana (Less than a year)

Pros

Humana Benefits, regular salary increases,

Cons

Corporate run by people that have no idea how a Dr's office runs

Advice to Management

No advise. Hopefully the acquisition of Humana by Aetna will help.

"More concerned with status quo than innovation"

Former Employee - Reporting Analyst in Glendale, AZ
    Former Employee - Reporting Analyst in Glendale, AZ

Pros

Very friendly environment amongst the workers. Pleasant group of coworkers to be around who actually care about the customer. Location in Glendale is very helpful for people who normally have to commute into Phoenix for work. If you are looking for steady work, decent location, and a job that isn't super difficult then this place will work for you. If you want more out of a job, like feeling important, being treated as an adult, and being able to bring recommendations to someone who will actually listen, you may need to look elsewhere.

Cons

Very strict scheduling. Your PTO is not advanced rather it is earned as you go. I got sick the first couple weeks I was there, unfortunately missed 3 days and was written up for having too many unapproved occurrences. You are also expected to stay your full shift even if salary. Getting all necessary work done and leaving early is not an option. I was actually told that I would need to just hang out at my desk and do nothing until it was time to go. Butts in seats is far more important because they are stuck in an old work methodology.

You can tell they have a free flow of money because they throw it around like nothing by flying people back and forth across the country for completely unnecessary things. Eventually someone will have to come in and tighten the belt up a bit ensure money is allocated for innovation and evolution rather than business as usual tactics.

The building in Glendale also leave a lot to be desired. The outside is very nice but the inside has torn up carpet pulling up from the floor all through out the building. The break rooms are very run down and tiny. The cafe they have is terrible as the selections are small and they charge for everything. You have to pay for a cup of water for instance if you do not have a personal cup. No cups for coffee either, you have to bring your own mug...seems small at first until you realize how petty that can be for an employer. The Glendale location also does not do any team events. I was there for about a year and not once was anything done for employee appreciation. Not a catered lunch, or ice cream cart, or sodas, nothing at all.

Even though people do care, their frustration shows as they frequently bad mouth customers after getting off the phone with them. This happens at any call center but when it is done with the frequency that I have seen at Humana and the fact that is in regards to people health and well being, it takes on a whole new despicable meaning.Too many people are checked out at this location and are there just for the paychecks. They can easily be turned around if they were shown some appreciation. The other locations in Cincinnati and Louisville are not like this and do all kinds of great things for employees.

Advice to Management

Don't forget about the Glendale campus. It is full of pleasant and caring people who are just getting burned out for the lack of caring by management. Meaningless and forced thank you's are not enough to show that you do value your employees. Make sure management stops taking them for granted. This isn't just another location, this is part of the Humana family. I unfortunately never felt like part of that family, I only felt like worker number 12345. You have the potential here, this location is not run up to the standards that other Humana locations are.

Showing 285 of 2,324 reviews