Humana Specialist Reviews | Glassdoor

Updated Jan 24, 2020

3.3
Humana President and CEO Bruce  D. Broussard
Bruce D. Broussard
  1. "Hcpr quality auditor"

Current Employee - Quality Specialist in Tempe, AZ

I have been working at Humana full-time for more than 3 years

Pros

Work from home opportunities, good benefits, overtime pay, good team spirit.

Cons

Mandatory overtime can be a bit much to deal with

Humana2019-08-20
  2. "Grueling work after 3 years"

Current Employee - Computer Hardware Specialist in Tempe, AZ

I have been working at Humana full-time for more than 3 years

Pros

The other employees are great and they do little things like bring around treats to try and keep up moral. It pays the bills and the first year wasn't so bad.

Cons

The work is terrible and grueling. After several years I am miserable and would do anything to get out. There is no advancing in position/pay. You are a working bee with no momentum. I get yelled at a lot by people on the phone when I'm doing everything I can to help.

Humana2020-01-16
  3. Create your profile to get personalized information

4. "High Turn over rate"

Former Employee - Medical Billing Specialist in Louisville, KY

I worked at Humana full-time for more than a year

Pros

The pay is wonderful and the perks are endless

Cons

EVERYTHING ELSE, they structure the company to where you basically live there.

Advice to Management

Rehire a whole new management team on the 3rd, 4th, and 5th floors.

Humana2020-01-24
  5. "Grievance and Appeals Specialist"

Former Employee - Grievance and Appeals Specialist

I worked at Humana full-time for more than 3 years

Pros

Very Flexible Schedule Work from home

Cons

Mandatory Overtime during peak season

Humana2019-11-18
  6. "Humana, Inc."

Current Employee - Billing Specialist in Roswell, GA

I have been working at Humana full-time for more than 10 years

Pros

Great place to work to support and listen to Customer in the health journey.

Cons

Great place to learn to support and listen to Customer.

Humana2019-11-10
  7. "Claims"

Current Employee - Work Content Specialist

I have been working at Humana full-time for more than 5 years

Pros

Flexibility to work at home, quarterly bonuses based on work performance, flex schedule

Cons

Unable to advance unless your a "favorite", don't receive annual raises consistently

Advice to Management

Not everyone is meant to be in leadership roles. Good employees don't just leave its the faulty managing that drives them away

Humana2019-10-30

"Nice place"

Former Employee - Billing Specialist in Louisville, KY

I worked at Humana full-time for more than 5 years

Pros

Work from home is a good perk

Cons

Micromanaging and constant changing QA standards per team.

Humana2019-10-11

"Unreasonable write ups. Actually fired due to outsourcing and/or budget cuts."

Former Employee - Grievance and Appeals Specialist

I worked at Humana full-time for more than 5 years

Pros

Great pay. Work from home. Flex schedule.

Cons

There is no benefit to working hard. Promotions are not based on performance. Mass hiring and mass layoffs are a yearly occurrence. Organizational structure is in constant flux resulting in a workforce who barely knows who they report to. Fired on 7 year anniversary. This happened literally 30 minutes after a department meeting where it as announced that 40 new associates in Puerto Rico will be hired on. Termination reasons were true at surface level, but dont tell the full story. Fired for: -Not responding to an email within 24 hours. Which email? one of the 15 sent daily of which it is unclear whether or not a response is required? -Missed production this month. First time in 7 years missing production. Production was only missed because I was working right from a work list provided by management. In fact, this was the first month I said to heck with my own way or doing things and worked strictly from the list they provided. -Idle time too high. I do agree idle time is high, but no matter how consistently work is getting done idle time is always over their expectation. The idle time counter is ill understood by management and is micromanagement at its finest. How can idle time be 3 hours a day, yet production goals are far exceeded? Hours worked are more important than work done. -Case out of compliance. An aged case was found nearing the compliance deadline. Email was sent to management about said case. Management said they would take care of it. This was all documented via email. Case was not taken care of by management. The case eventually aged out of compliance and resulted in a write up. After 7 years of service and never missing a performance bonus or a day of work, there was no acknowledgement of the good. Only mention of the final month where new systems are creating chaos within the department and mistakes were being made.

Advice to Management

-Cut it with the reports and the reports of reports. Cut it with the EXTREME micromanagement. If the work is getting done and is satisfactory, then do not hound associates with emails and report requests. -Drop it with the idle time metric. Its a joke. If you hire the right workers and train them appropriately, then the only metrics that should matter are production and quality. -Do not create opportunities to write associates up just so you can fire them without a compensation package. -Do not release new software that is not ready for service and expect associates to maintain performance. -Your workforce is going to diminish in quality and reliability as you continue to micromanage, squeeze pennies and drive your top associates to work for the other team.

Humana2019-09-17
  10. "Good learning, competitive environment"

Former Employee - Market Specialist in Miami, FL

I worked at Humana full-time for more than a year

Pros

HUMANA offered me the opportunity to learn more about the insurance business specifically the medicare industry. I was part of a team of positive hard working people and we worked well together for the most part.

Cons

Communication did not flow well down to our area and when the company sold part of its medical centers we were laid off without much of a plan in place for next steps.

Advice to Management

It's important to treat your employees with genuine care so they continuously want to give back to you. Communications is key and you have a lot of area for improvement in this area.

Humana2019-08-27

"Present Day Plantation position"

Former Employee - Enrollment Specialist

I worked at Humana full-time for more than 8 years

Pros

If you don't have a life...the hours

Cons

Every person in HR and management positions

Advice to Management

Do Better... Grown people NOT your children to dictate to and threaten punishment

Humana2019-09-03