Humana "upper management" Reviews | Glassdoor

3.5
Humana President and CEO Bruce  D. Broussard
Bruce D. Broussard
1,471 Ratings

"Social Service Care Manager"

Current Employee - Social Service Care Manager in Tampa, FL

I have been working at Humana full-time for more than 3 years

Pros

Pays well. Great 401k matching. WAH, so no commute.

Cons

Humana at Home: Micro Managed to the point of mental health issues for most member facing employees. Work life balance is terrible. Lack of concern about associate wellness from upper management. Health benefits are pretty terrible.

Advice to Management

Make work schedules more flexible. Be more understanding of the fact that daily metrics cannot always be met.. have a heart and care about your employees.

Humana2017-07-05

"Always chaning is a theme"

Former Employee - Case Manager RN in Louisville, KY

I worked at Humana full-time for more than 3 years

Pros

Manager is helpful, lots of training .

Cons

Upper Management is driven by numbers

Advice to Management

Nursing care should not to be manipulated by Wall street

Humana2017-06-16

"RN Clinical Coordinator"

I worked at Humana full-time

Pros

Pay was good although the benefits were horrible for working for an insurance company

Cons

They let previous staff run all over their managers. There is no help from upper management or human resources in fact if you complain to Human Resources you are the one to get targeted from then on. When you finally give up and turn in your notice they kick you out the door not caring that you will have no way to pay your bills and that you were nice enough to give them enough notice.

Advice to Management

Listen to your employees and back them up. If someone complains to Human Resources there is probably a reason and you should try to help them not try to make your life miserable from then on out. Never allow staff to run all over managers and refuse to help them

Humana2017-06-30

"Never work there again!"

Former Employee - Anonymous Employee in Louisville, KY

I worked at Humana full-time for more than a year

Pros

High salaries, decent benefits. Friday casual day

Cons

Constant reorganizations, huge turn over rate, hostile environment tolerated by upper management. Many employees mistreated due to favoritism and nepotism is alive and well within the organization!

Advice to Management

Take responsibility for your actions and stop throwing employees under the bus when changes are implemented and go wrong due to poor management decisions. Learn to respect your employees and they might go the extra mile for you! HR should all be replaced as they contradict one another with explaining company policies and procedures.

Humana2017-06-08

"I have mixed feelings."

Current Employee - Personal Health Coach (PHC)

I have been working at Humana full-time for more than a year

Pros

I have been extremely fortunate to have been placed on two teams that are outstanding and supportive. I have also been blessed with two outstanding Coaches and Clinical Operations Managers. I work from home, I can look ugly if I want, the worst part of the commute is a cat in the hallway. When I turn off the computer at the end of the day, work is done and that is wonderful for me. PTO is generous, my coach is flexible in working with me with school, elderly family members and my own health as long as productivity is met. Work/life balance is encouraged. Lots of health and wellness incentives.

Cons

I don't have many cons. But, the worst would be this: about 6 months after I started there was a distinct culture shift from quality to quantity. Upper management can deny it all they want, but that's what it is. Every position on my side of the telephonic business is having their feet held to the fire to meet incredibly high member "connects" every day, week and month. Not only that, there are elements withing those calls that are being measured as well like talk time for the day and referrals to other departments. So, if my talk time is way up and my number of contacts is down, I may have spent too much time on the phone with the members. Or if I reached a high number of members and my talk time was low my quality may come into question and my calls may be scrutinized. So, saying this you are probably thinking that I am working in customer service and need to stop whining, right?? NO! I work with members regarding their health needs, encouraging health goals, answering questions and providing resources if needed. Yeah. The goal for my day would certainly be attainable IF every person I called answered the phone. I have a coworker that made 45 calls to get only 11 successful connects for the day. They all have to be documented too btw. This doesn't include any anomalies in charts that need to be addressed and passed up the chain either. I can go on but I won't. Bottom line is quality will fall if quantity continues to be the push. All things cycle. I hope this kidney stone passes soon because it hurts like hades!

Advice to Management

Pay attention to what your associates on the front line are saying to you!! You're forming committees to inform committees. Then you're hiring quality review folks which will turn into a hit squad because they will only do what you tell them to do and not defend what is happening that is right. Beware because this will bite you on the hind quarters. If your quality review teams do turn into a hit squad, you will have a mass exodus of good people who do excellent work and are tired of fighting for what is good. Healthcare folks are a different breed. We'll give you a good fight to make things better, but once we're done with you.... Have fun with the mess you've created.

Humana2016-02-12
  6. "Case Management"

I worked at Humana

Pros

The case workers care about the clients and go above and beyond to provide the best care.

Cons

Upper management changes focus and processes frequently. Unrealistic expectations for the paperwork to deadline ratio.

Advice to Management

Shadow experienced case workers for at least a week to examine all processes and deadlines. Develop procedures to assist overwhelmed staff to ensure compliance with the company's expectations.

Humana2017-04-15

"Started out as great opportunity"

Former Employee - Clinical Nurse Manager

I worked at Humana full-time for more than 5 years

Pros

Work at Home opportunities Tuition Assistance Benefits Pay for work at home is good

Cons

Difficult to advance Changing Expectations Poor clinical upper management

Advice to Management

Place more value on building relationships between clinical staff and upper management Try listening to input from those people who are on the front lines of contact with the customer

Humana2017-04-12

"Not recommended"

I worked at Humana full-time

Pros

Severance package after layoff, management company hired to assist after mass layoff

Cons

No pay raises for three years despite good yearly reviews, dismal health insurance coverage, lack of communication from upper management

Advice to Management

Improve overall communication and benefits

Humana2017-04-03

"Care Coach"

Former Employee - Care Coach in Miami, FL

I worked at Humana full-time for more than a year

Pros

Working with the clients. Good stepping stone for individuals without families to attend to. Good networking opportunities.

Cons

The LTSS program may not be reflective of Humana as a whole, however, the depiction of the role responsibilities is very obscure. It sounds great at the interview with decent pay with mileage, however, they really really make you work for it. Although they recently changed to non-exempt, there are care coaches working over 40 hours per week without overtime pay. The culture of the company is fear driven and nothing has changed despite multiple complaints to HR. There have been multiple investigations regarding the unethical practice of the department through the Ethics Line. Upper management employs favoritism and borderline prejudicial hiring practices (they're all the same ethnicity, background and they are all friends). In addition, I was retaliated against when I reported fraudulent issues within the company. Responsbilities are vast and beyond the role expectations presented on paper. They are currently working off of two different documentation systems. Directives are disorganized and change from one day to the next. It is perhaps a good stepping stone for a person without a family, but not a good career choice for a professional. There are work from home opportunities, however, due to the extensive needs and high turn over rate, it is more field based and clerical work than WAH. At times, they push for mandated over time due shortages. I love working with my clients and built a positive working relationship with them as well as the providers. It allows for positive networking opportunities. With that being said, the provider relations department places a lot of responsibility on the care coaches. There is lack of support from that department as well as management. It was not a favorable experience for myself and many others that have left.

Advice to Management

Clean house. Start all over with a new management team. CEO needs to be informed of everything that is going on within his own company.

Humana2017-04-11

"Completely disgusted with Glendale Humana Pharmacy."

Former Employee - Certified Pharmacy Technician in Glendale, AZ

I worked at Humana full-time for more than 8 years

Pros

Good pay and you get to work from home. Recognition exists, but only if you're part of the clique.

Cons

The Glendale office environment and upper management are TOXIC. Your well-being is not their main concern, it's production. "Well-being" has become the butt of many jokes and it has turned many people off to wanting to work in the office or be engaged. If you like fake smiles, wasting time on crafts, or reading your overflowing inbox, this may be the place for you to call home. If given the chance, you will held back from any career path you seek, unless you're romantically involved with a higher-up.

Advice to Management

Stop contributing to the unethical treatment of Associates. Favoritism flows throughout the company and is easy to see; you're not fooling anyone.

Humana2017-03-28