Humana "upper management" Reviews | Glassdoor

Bruce D. Broussard
1,473 Ratings

"Personal Health Coordinator"

I have been working at Humana full-time

Pros

Work from home Decent pay Good wellness incentive program

Cons

Upper management changes Chained to desk Company culture has changed and is negative No advancement opportunities

Advice to Management

Value associates Stop being greedy Focus on building a positive culture

Humana2017-02-27

"HCM RN"

I have been working at Humana full-time

Pros

Being able to work from home

Cons

Worst company I have ever worked for in my 10 years of Nursing. They promise you the world: well-being time, great work/life balance...WRONG! In reality, you work 10 to 12 hours every day in an effort to meet NUMBERS! And some days of no one answers, you don't meet your metrics. Then, you get singled out. Get singled out for asking for more help/resources. You get blessed out for posting how you feel on BUZZ, the company website where employees network. Upper management or HR cares nothing about you. All the care about is the big fat bonuses they get for killing their employees. I have never hated a job more in my life. It is hell. You are given a time limit on how long you can talk to these members, time limit to document. Every call, keystroke, everything is monitored. Coaches are micromanagers. My best advice is do not work here. Save yourself the heartache and misery.

Advice to Management

Listen to your employees concerns

Humana2017-03-21

"Personal Health Coach PHC, work at home"

Current Employee - PHC in Saint Petersburg, FL

I have been working at Humana full-time for more than a year

Pros

Work from home is the only pro

Cons

They make it sound very flexible and that you will have free time for education, "well-being time" and 15 minutes breaks. But once you get past probation, all bets off. You can't meet metrics and have any well-being time and rarely get to take breaks if you want to make your metrics. Management only cares about ROI (return on investment) and it's shareholders. Upper management has recently sold all the stock shares they were legally allowed to sell. There is a huge turnover of executives "retiring" only to go to other companies. The Aetna merger didn't happen and they over-staffed so layoffs are still coming. They do not care about the staff that make direct contact with members. You are just a lightbulb to be screwed in, burnt out, removed and replaced again.

Advice to Management

Take better care of your front-line employees!

Humana2017-03-17

"Disappointed PHC"

Current Employee - Personal Health Coach (PHC) in Cincinnati, OH

I have been working at Humana full-time for less than a year

Pros

Pay, tuition reimbursement, benefits are expensive. Overall, with recent events and being laid off my view of Humana has changed. Disappointed!

Cons

They sell you a dream coming in the door...micromanage, micromanage. No transparency during lay these lay offs. Cold and flat in telling employees and very nonchalant upper management. Humana at home is a joke ! Expectations are unreal...no consistency with Job duties.

Advice to Management

Be up front. Have some compassion for the people who livelihoods your changing.

Humana2017-02-03

"Humana"

Former Employee - Anonymous Employee in Irving, TX

I worked at Humana full-time for more than a year

Pros

Competitive salary. Ability to work from home. Great incentives from company. Friendly co-workers. That's all I have to say about the company.

Cons

HR department has no idea how to handle complaints against upper management. Management sits around all day and talk about employees. Very unprofessional environment. Very catty woman in management roles. They would get upset if you do not want to be a member of their click and try to reprimand you by making up an excuse to fire you.

Humana2016-12-02

"Executive Assistant"

Former Employee - Administrative in Louisville, KY

I worked at Humana full-time for more than 5 years

Pros

None that I can really think of, which is why myself and many, many more talented and experienced individuals are leaving. You can only work so long without recognition and opportunities before you look elsewhere.

Cons

Employee insurance programs are expensive and offer minimal coverage. Had to purchase coverage from a competitor to get better healthcare that we could afford. Management is secretive and does not share future plans, or even encourage that there is a future given the merger is in hold. Any information shared is gained through local media coverage. No faith in CEO and upper management. News reports reflect huge golden parachutes for their futures, but not such a golden futures for those trying hard to keep their jobs and take care of their families.

Advice to Management

Be honest with staff; be available not invisible; Humana was once a world class organization, created to serve those who needed their services, now it's all about the profits and how much management will get paid when the proposed deal closes. It's all work, work, negative culture, everyone is worried about their future.

Humana2017-01-02

"Organized Chaos"

Former Employee - Anonymous Employee in Louisville, KY

I worked at Humana full-time for more than 3 years

Pros

I wish I had some Pros to add here, but Humana is below average on almost every aspect of job satisfaction. I suppose the one Pro is that I met and worked with some very nice people that I have continued to be good friends with over the years. Most of which, are no longer with Humana.

Cons

Micro-management on every level, and most departments don't have a clue what any other departments are doing or why they're doing it. They offer their employees the worst insurance plans. I would have gotten a better rate as a non-employee, so I didn't even use Humana when I worked there. It was cheaper to go on my husband's insurance. There's no excuse for that...if you work at Humana, you should have a platinum insurance plan, not be treated like lesser citizens. Also, the hiring process is deceitful. They will tell you that you can advance in a year....but then at the end of that year, magically their will be a hiring freeze. That freeze will last for a couple more years, too. Meanwhile you will notice new hires arriving downstairs. The only people lucky enough to slip through the "hiring freeze" are the ones who are in the cliques with upper management. They play favorites, and don't promote based on job performance. Also, I witnessed many people telling customers all kinds of misinformation on the phone and then "accidentally" drop the call. Stay far away from this company...they will eventually sink to the ground.

Advice to Management

Learn how to manage. Don't play favorites, empower your employees and take care of them, stop promoting arrogant, power hungry tyrants, and don't lie to your staff.

Humana2016-12-30

"Decent"

I worked at Humana

Pros

Great Vacation package/pto for employees

Cons

Terrible upper management, very controlling

Humana2016-10-18

"Field Case Manager"

Former Employee - RN Field Care Manager in San Antonio, TX

I worked at Humana full-time

Pros

Supportive management and complete workers

Cons

Classic Corporate America Don't care about employees 50+ hours a week only get paid for 40 Constantly changing type job Never feel job security Lack of proper training Upper management really doesn't want you to move up the chain Culture and values are just words on a piece of paper they mean absolutely nothing

Advice to Management

Care about your employees they are the ones on the street making the money by taking excellent care of your member

Humana2016-11-08

"Good thing going bad"

I worked at Humana

Pros

the ability to work from home full time or part and able to flex your schedule most times when needed.

Cons

not transparent of major changes that affect everyone such pending merger with Aetna. they get rid of the wrong people and keep the bad seeds that are willing to kiss up to them no matter what. micro-managed for unnecessary things makes it a drag to work there as of lately. no accountability to upper management for the same circumstances they reprimand other employees about.

Advice to Management

a better screening process needs to be in place for people who are selected to supervisor and managers. annual raises should be across the board not just given to their "friends" in the company.

Humana2016-10-08