Humane Society Of Tampa Bay Reviews | Glassdoor

Updated April 14, 2019

1.6
CEO

Sort: PopularRatingDate

"I'd stay there forever if I could. Bad knees so couldn't continue to do vet tech work."

Former Employee - Anonymous Employee in Tampa, FL
    Former Employee - Anonymous Employee in Tampa, FL

I worked at Humane Society Of Tampa Bay full-time (More than 3 years)

Pros

Very fulfilling work! Great benefits. Surrounded by like minded individuals.

Cons

Prepare to have your heart ripped out. The public does some horrible things to our furry friends so just know you have to help them. Just try not to be overwhelmed by the emotional aspect of shelter work.

2. "Great Place That Cares About Animals"

Former Employee - Adoption Coordinator
    Former Employee - Adoption Coordinator

I worked at Humane Society Of Tampa Bay full-time (Less than a year)

Pros

Animals! Like minded coworkers with many years of experience. Excellent management and collaboration between departments. Very involved CEO. Amazing network of volunteers. Regular pay increase and performance evaluation.

Cons

It's always difficult working in customer service, but it's extra difficult when employees can't use their judgement to deny potential adopters without multiple levels of management being involved.

"No Humanity Here"

Former Employee - Receptionist in Tampa, FL
    Former Employee - Receptionist in Tampa, FL

I worked at Humane Society Of Tampa Bay full-time (Less than a year)

Pros

Great benefits. Enjoyed helping the people and animals in need. Enjoyed all the technicians, doctors and surgery employees.

Cons

Worst place I have ever worked. Pay was an insult. $10 hourly and that was with 6 years experience under my belt with expert knowledge of cornerstone software. No training was provided as THEY stated THEY did not have the time, then if you make a mistake THEY will yell at you then throw you in the phone room as punishment. I was even yelled at in front of clientele. There is favoritism and cliques. No professionalism whatsoever. I witnessed my poor elderly coworker get harassed daily for no reason just to make his life miserable. His wife was supposedly fired because she bumped heads with THEM and was liked more than her. If THEY or the clique doesn't like you, you will be treated horribly, like an outcast and they will look for a way to fire you. The clique who hangs with THEY in check out will literally do nothing except play on their phones, chit chat or act busy meanwhile anyone on check in is busting their butt from the start of the day until lunch nonstop - approximately 4 hours checking patients in, with no help from check out. But yet if check in has nothing to do they are expected to help check out as if their job was so difficult. Absolutely no teamwork and THEY do not care. THEY do not take people's experience into consideration instead promote anyone who is friend's with the "clique" I even went to HR and THEY didn't care. The whole operation is a joke. Also with your schedule pretty much 99% of the time you would never get it the day before it would change and THEY would tell you it was YOUR responsibility to get your schedule but yet you could never find her to ask and if you did ask her she would get bothered. The people who were favored had the same schedules every week but yet the ones who were harassed, their schedule changed as a way as I saw it to try and write you up to eventually fire you. I quit after not even three months. Way too much drama for my liking. Felt like high school all over again.

Advice to Management

Start watching - because THEY obviously do not care what's going on over at the animal health center. Rumor has it these problems were going on long before I ever started there. People who "supposedly" care SO much about animals, don't care one bit about humans.

"Receptionist"

I worked at Humane Society Of Tampa Bay full-time

Pros

Great benefits. Loved helping animals in need.

Cons

Horrible pay, harassment by management, cliques

"Better Watch Your Back"

I worked at Humane Society Of Tampa Bay full-time (More than a year)

Pros

Great coworkers, fast-paced, never bored, no two days are alike, feels good to serve community, nice facility, good medical equipment, fundraisers are fun

Cons

You better hope management doesn't up and decide one day that they don't like you, because if they do they will search for even the tiniest reason to fire you. Sherry is a slave-driver and expects everyone to do her dirty work like little minions. And don't even try to put in an HR complaint- they will fire you at any chance they get if you even mention going to HR! If you don't care about job security- go ahead. Try your luck and see how long you last.

Advice to Management

Do some soul-searching. You only have a finite amount of time on this earth- do you want to spend that time doing evil or doing good? You spit on the community you are supposed to serve and ride on the backs of your poor employees. You guys are taking the "humane" out of the humane society.