Humane Society of Boulder Valley Reviews | Glassdoor

Humane Society of Boulder Valley CEO Lisa Pedersen
Lisa Pedersen
  1. "Events Intern"

I worked at Humane Society of Boulder Valley

Pros

Learned a lot, the employees do a great job at teaching and making sure you understand what it takes to run a non-profit. Great internship experience.

Cons

No Cons overall. It was a great internship experience.

Humane Society of Boulder Valley2016-04-26
  2. "Expect Micromanaging"

Former Employee - Client Service Representative

I worked at Humane Society of Boulder Valley full-time for more than a year

Pros

Mission Driven Transparent Standard benefits Excellent outward facing organization

Cons

Micromanaging from leadership Little support from leadership Little to no recognition for work

Humane Society of Boulder Valley2019-10-11
  3. "DO NOT WORK HERE. GO SOMEWHERE ELSE"

Former Employee - Animal Care

I worked at Humane Society of Boulder Valley full-time for more than 3 years

Pros

Benefits are decent but you can find better elsewhere

Cons

No room for growth unless you are "picked" as a favorite by someone in management. There doesn't seem to be any particular reason behind why they promote people or not. A lot of the harder working individuals end up leaving and moving on to better things because they are not respected and are over looked by management because they aren't friends with management. Management is a joke in the building from downstairs... to admin. They don't take complaints or questions seriously. There are times when animals are adopted to homeless people or pit bulls to people who live in a breed ban city because it is easier to adopt out than tell someone no. If a customer complains they will get anything they want. Even a free adoption of an animal they shouldn't have because of age requirements on children, breed bans or other restrictions on the animals. If a customer doesn’t have money for an expensive medical treatment they will surrender the animal to the shelter, the animal will get fixed and they will give the animal back to the person without charging them for it. Especially if the client complains in any way. The clinic is very busy all the time and staff are burnt out with little or no care from management. Staff in the clinic are not nice. they are rude to clients and other staff in the building. There is a "I'm better than you" attitude because they wear scrubs thing happening. There is a big disconnect from the downstairs operations and upstairs administration. Nobody upstairs knows what is going on downstairs and vice versa. The upstairs staff seem like a sorority and unless you are perfect you are not welcome to join their clubhouse. It's uncomfortable to go in the admin area because you don't feel like you are perfect enough to join their club. While the staff is told they are broke and can't pay their staff a livable wage they spent a lot of money on upgrading the admin office area. This area was not an area that needed upgrades when the rest of the building is literally falling apart. They don’t have their priorities right. If you work here, you will love it for about 3 months, then reality will set in and you will see that you are treated like dirt and want to leave.

Advice to Management

When the new CEO starts she needs to clean house of management in all departments and start fresh. New policies are needed as well.

Humane Society of Boulder Valley2019-10-13

"really mean middle management"

Former Employee - Adoptions Specialist in Boulder, CO

I worked at Humane Society of Boulder Valley part-time for more than a year

Pros

Nice place I just worked for the wrong department and like others have said my boss was really mean when you need help he couldn't give it to you or didn't care enough to give it to you and he wouldn't ever stand up for what the animals need or get people to treat animals write and it made it an awful stressful place to work not at all like what they said it was going to be.

Cons

My supervisor would yell when he was in a bad mood and tell me that I was doing everything wrong without ever telling me the right way to do it and if I asked questions he just treated me like I was dumb.

Advice to Management

The board people seem really nice I just suspect they don't know how the daily running of the shelter happens and it would be a much nicer place if they were more aware. A lot of people act totally different here when the board people are around, my supervisor is a totally good example of that he is really good manager when Lisa or someone is around, but he's awful other times.

Humane Society of Boulder Valley2018-07-25

"Incongruent Values"

Former Employee - Anonymous Employee in Boulder, CO

I worked at Humane Society of Boulder Valley full-time for more than a year

Pros

The listed values of the Humane Society of Boulder Valley are fantastic. The benefits are top notch. And working to provide for the well-being of animals is incredibly rewarding. This is the sort of company I wanted to work (and now am working for).

Cons

Unfortunately, outside of the administrative offices, these values are not adhered to. Middle management is apathetic, disengaged, unaware of what is happening within the shelter, lacking in knowledge of company policies, accustomed to speaking in verbally abusive manners, has little interest in the growth of employees and holds pleasing clients above valuing employee or animal welfare. Managers and... supervisors within the shelter lack the skills, training and support to execute their jobs effectively. As a result those that are worth working for quickly move on and you're left working for a coffee cup holder as your manager.

Advice to Management

Move on! My advice to management would be to move on to an organization that is going to invest in you by giving you the support and training you need to do your job successfully. The Humane Society of Boulder Valley has allowed you to be a manager in name only. Authority comes in many different forms: formal authority, technical authority, moral authority, charismatic authority, and expert authority. ... Look at those around you. What sorts of authority do they utilize? Are they technically proficient? Are they knowledgable? What have they modeled for and taught you? Are these the skills that you would like to shape your career? HSBV could not do a poorer job investing in its people. It is ironic that an institution focused on positive reinforcement with regard to animals treats its' employees as HSBV does.

Humane Society of Boulder Valley2018-03-22

"Terrible place to work"

Former Employee - Adoption Specialist in Boulder, CO

I worked at Humane Society of Boulder Valley full-time for more than a year

Pros

The mission is great, it's a very nice shelter, and you know you are helping a great cause. The people in lower level positions tend to be very passionate about the work. You get to work with cute animals!

Cons

You frequently have to kill the cute animals, and you aren't allowed to question the euthanasia decisions. The management is terrible- only incompetent people pleasers who don't ask questions rise to the top, and they encourage more incompetence. The pay is bad, you aren't allowed to show emotion in a very emotional work environment, and any sort of questions or innovation are frowned upon.

Advice to Management

Stop stifling your employees. Stop discouraging displays of emotion, caring about the animals, and asking questions. Treat your lower level employees with more respect.

Humane Society of Boulder Valley2016-10-31

"Typical non-profit but with a big budget"

in Boulder, CO

I have been working at Humane Society of Boulder Valley for less than a year

Pros

Feel good about what you're doing A few perks in exchange for your low pay The shelter environment is higher quality than your typical animal shelter opportunities to move into different departments

Cons

low pay ok benefits sometimes disorganized or absent management exposure to zoonotic diseases

Advice to Management

Administration needs to be more "on the ground" in the shelter to see what it's really like; sometimes they seem to have lost touch

Humane Society of Boulder Valley2016-07-04
  8. "Great place to work"

Current Employee - Anonymous Employee in Boulder, CO

I have been working at Humane Society of Boulder Valley full-time for more than 3 years

Pros

Great coworkers, a great mission, good benefits

Cons

Low pay (because duh), sad and sometimes complex situations, limited room for growth within the company

Humane Society of Boulder Valley2015-06-13
  9. "Kennel assistant"

Kennel Assistant in Boulder, CO

I have been working at Humane Society of Boulder Valley

Pros

Overall very well run and the shelter has more resources than most others of its size, so you feel like you're really helping animals in the community. Almost everyone who works here seems really excited about working with animals and wants to help out.

Cons

The slave wages for Boulder are pretty appalling. You can make more at McDonald's in this town, and given how difficult and messy shelter work is you'd kind of think they'd pay a bit more.

Advice to Management

There is a large executive staff and board and administrators who I know are making really good money, but flattening out the pay structure a bit and actually paying a living wage to your entry level employees would be a great progressive step forward for the organization.

Humane Society of Boulder Valley2015-06-09

"My experience here was very entertaining, but also meaningful and worthwhile."

Former Intern - Volunteer in Boulder, CO

I worked at Humane Society of Boulder Valley for more than a year

Pros

The reasons why I would work here are that the atmosphere is very friendly, with everyone working there being helpful and willing to assist you in anything you need. Plus, spending time around animals is really rewarding.

Cons

It's not easy work. And it's not always fun. Sure,everyone always wants to spend time walking dogs and petting cats, but there are cages that need to be cleaned and laundry that needs to be run.

Humane Society of Boulder Valley2014-02-28