Huntington Ingalls Industries Reviews in Pascagoula, MS | Glassdoor

3.5
Huntington Ingalls Industries President & CEO Mike Petters
Mike Petters

Sort: PopularRatingDate

Pros
  • Good benefits,mangment,safe environment (in 34 reviews)

• Good pay, lots of oppurtunity to learn new craft and new qualifications (in 31 reviews)

Cons
  • relatively slow work pace, overall bad attitude that trickles down from upper management (in 14 reviews)

• Policies on vacation and sick time are terrible (in 6 reviews)

1. "Working there was the peak of my life thus far."

Former Contractor - General Laborer in Pascagoula, MS
    Former Contractor - General Laborer in Pascagoula, MS

I worked at Huntington Ingalls Industries as a contractor (Less than a year)

Pros

Everything they provide is excellent, So many pros from breakfast to benifits, transportation plus more.

Cons

You wont see me complaining, how could you with the awsome balance between everything.

Advice to Management

I need advice from you guys.

2. "Painter"

Current Employee - Industrial Painter in Pascagoula, MS
    Current Employee - Industrial Painter in Pascagoula, MS

I have been working at Huntington Ingalls Industries full-time (More than a year)

Pros

Good benefits,mangment,safe environment.They take care of there workers

Cons

The walk to and from the job site

3. "Overrated"

Former Employee - Apprentice Electrician in Pascagoula, MS
    Former Employee - Apprentice Electrician in Pascagoula, MS

I worked at Huntington Ingalls Industries full-time (Less than a year)

Pros

Good base pay, good experience

Cons

Parking, lazy workers, little overtime depending on crew. And did I mention parking? Takes an hour to leave work sometimes.

Advice to Management

Manage lazy workers better

"Engineering Manager"

Former Employee - Engineering Manager in Pascagoula, MS
    Former Employee - Engineering Manager in Pascagoula, MS

I worked at Huntington Ingalls Industries full-time (More than 10 years)

Pros

Wages are at or above market value

Cons

too many rice bowls and favoritism

Advice to Management

hire, reward, and promote based on capability vice family and friends

5. "The real scoop at ingalls"

Current Employee - First Class Marine Electrician in Pascagoula, MS

I have been working at Huntington Ingalls Industries full-time (More than 3 years)

Pros

Benefits are great. Plus retirement is a good setup for your future...

Cons

To many chiefs not enuff Indians plus got to many rules. Can't miss time and don't have enuff time off for the work we provide...etc

Advice to Management

YOU don't own Ingalls you have a manager also.

6. "My Ingalls Review"

Current Employee - First Class Marine Electrician in Pascagoula, MS

I have been working at Huntington Ingalls Industries full-time (Less than a year)

Pros

Pay is pretty good, probably the best on the MS coast, along with their benefits. My current foreman is really great compared to my previous two foremen (whom had come from the Avondale shipyard when they closed it).

Cons

Parking, traffic, the long, long, LONG walk from the parking lot to your work station across every type of terrain you can imagine, and the many flights of stairs. As a combo electrician there are a lot of tools and PPE that I have to carry, adding to a lot of weight. All of these combined is what has caused my plantar fasciitis. Plus, the work conditions can be considered dangerous if you're not watching out. (As of this writing, I think that they are in the beginning phases of redoing the road infrastructure in / out of the parking lots to Highway 90... site surveys and new signs went up yesterday.)

Time is also a Con... I spend about 13-14 hours a day between leaving my home in the morning and coming home, but only get paid for 8. I live about an hour away. In order to get a decent parking spot, I leave my home at 3:30am, park my car as close as I can (currently at Gate 2) at around 4:20am, and nap until 5:00am. You have to be in through the gates by a specific time and at your work station at 6am or they dock your pay (even if you got to your work station by 6am, if you're not through the gates by a specific time (which they don't tell you what that time is), you get docked). After work, I make the long, long, LONG trek back to my car and sit in a hot car waiting in traffic for about 20-45 minutes (minimum), then drive the hour back to my home. I could leave home later and get there by 5:30a, but then my walk in / out of work is double the distance.

Advice to Management

Fix the traffic issue (which I think you're just starting to), fix all of the parking lots, and provide shuttles in / out of the yard. Fix the terrain in the yard. Go digital with the drawings, material ordering, payroll, and communications.

7. "Great job for an engineer fresh out of school."

Current Employee - Mechanical Engineer I in Pascagoula, MS
    Current Employee - Mechanical Engineer I in Pascagoula, MS

Pros

Very friendly coworkers, management is friendly, new challenges daily, yearly merit raises, and a great learning environment for new engineers.

Cons

30 minute lunch (the flexible schedule allows for longer break sometimes) and some of the offices could use some updating.

"Shipfitter"

Former Employee - Shipfitter in Pascagoula, MS
    Former Employee - Shipfitter in Pascagoula, MS

I worked at Huntington Ingalls Industries full-time (More than a year)

Pros

Good benefits and pay. Just don't get injured, not use in yard hospital, esp. Placed on workers comp. They say and plaster posters all over about workers comp fraud. But they are the FRAUDSTERS ! the yard will fire you on workers comp. And none of the bought out , paid off attorneys in Mississippi, nor any Federal agency, D O.L., under W.C. or F.M.L.A. will do anything but drag their feet and side with shipyard ! Many injured and left to rot and loose everything . Including last spec if respect for self !

Cons

They post and display like they care about employees. They hire and keep bad employees while good ones carry load, repair their garbage, management is on good ole boy merit system. Union is in - house, and like local lawyers, part of INGALLS team. D.O.L. aides and abets in the yards crushing and grinding injured/wronged employees. And the parking is hellacious, lasts over hour, and vehicles are regularly damaged seriously.

Advice to Management

Do as you say. Support and assist those injured making YOUR PAYCHECKS. Not fire and leave to pain & inevitable financial ruin !
       Look at RE-FITS! WHOSE FIXING, And who's causing/costing. And WHO enables/continues allowing process and employees at fault.
       Enforce lift limits, against supervision.

9. "The shipyard was a very challenging but productive atmosphere."

Former Intern - Quality Engineer in Pascagoula, MS
    Former Intern - Quality Engineer in Pascagoula, MS

I worked at Huntington Ingalls Industries as an intern (Less than a year)

Pros

The opportunity to influence change in the ship building process and the ability to be involved in process improvement initiatives.

Cons

Have to deal with being pulled in multiple directions at one time making it a challenge to focus on one particular issue

Advice to Management

Continue to allow interns to go through rotations within the quality department.

10. "Not too bad."

Current Employee - Sheet Metal Mechanic in Pascagoula, MS
    Current Employee - Sheet Metal Mechanic in Pascagoula, MS

I have been working at Huntington Ingalls Industries (More than a year)

Pros

Pay is steady. Benefits aren't too bad. Great ideas come around every now and then. Really can't say too much more that's positive.

Cons

Too many chiefs, not enough Indians. Management try's to generally intimidate craft to try push production to increase. Parking is a mess. In order to move into management it's all about who you know, not what you can and are willing to do for the company. The unions are a joke.

Advice to Management

Slim down.