Huntington Ingalls Industries Reviews

Updated Aug 6, 2020

3.6
Huntington Ingalls Industries President & CEO Mike Petters
Mike Petters
Pros
  • "Good Pay, Work From home option(in 52 reviews)

• "Good benefits, good pay, on-job-training,(in 41 reviews)

Cons
  • "You can feel the tension between shipyard workers and the Navy personnel(in 23 reviews)

• "Management / upper management can be condradictory at times(in 18 reviews)

1. "Great place to work."

5.0
    Former Employee - Senior Designer

I worked at Huntington Ingalls Industries full-time

Pros

Learning, mentoring, able to advance with the company also being recognized for work completed well.

Cons

Getting really good in your position with keep you in that position long term.

Continue reading
  2. "Good job"

4.0
    Current Employee - Analyst

I have been working at Huntington Ingalls Industries full-time for more than a year

Pros

It's a decent job for the area. You can spend your whole career there if you wanted

Cons

Parking is terrible if you show up late

3. "Decent Company to work for"

Current Employee - Outside Machinist in Newport News, VA

I have been working at Huntington Ingalls Industries full-time

Pros

Decent pay and time off

Cons

Sometimes tough work enviroments, long shifts.

4. "Be up front with the direction you would like to go with your career"

Former Employee - Mechanical Engineer

I worked at Huntington Ingalls Industries full-time

Pros

Opportunities for young engineers to travel Certain Managers are helpful in your growth 2 week shutdown is great for family time raises yearly although minimum (2-3%) Work life balance is great New Orleans is not far

Cons

company culture leaves a lot to be desired upward mobility is limited Education Assistance is minimum Training is basically learning on the fly Overtime pay is virtually non-existent unless working off-site Pay is not great The area is not catered to young professionals

5. COVID-19

"Not A Fulfilling Job"

2.0
    Current Employee - Test Engineer in Newport News, VA

Pros

Flexible Schedule You can certainly move up in this company, but that seems mostly due to attrition. Your advancement is a function of time, not ability. It does seem senior management is making efforts to increase the benefits of working here. I also think their response to COVID-19 has been very appropriate, often implementing changes well before they become requirements. Great job outlook as they have a monopoly on nuclear ship construction.

Cons

Poor management. I have up to eight people that act as a manager that often conflict with on another. One will direct a certain action, while another will interrupt that action and tell you to do something else that they claim has priority. They also fail to invest in new employees. They expect a high turnover and as such will not invest in you until you have been there for some time. In my year as an employee this is the sole reason my coworkers (five) have left the company. Expect to work weekends or second/third shift on short notice. Expect to go into seven day work weeks for 2-4 weeks at a time.

Continue reading
  6. "Great Experience"

4.0
    Former Employee - Industrial Engineering Intern in Pascagoula, MS

I worked at Huntington Ingalls Industries full-time for less than a year

Pros

Great Team Managers worked to help the employees grow

Cons

Not much in the Pascagoula area

7. "OK place to work"

Current Employee - Engineer Systems Test II in Newport News, VA

I have been working at Huntington Ingalls Industries full-time for more than 3 years

Pros

Always plenty of work to do

Cons

Some departments are much better than others to work in.

8. "Don't waste you time here"

2.0
    Current Employee - Welder in Newport News, VA

Pros

If you work night shift you can get away with sleeping on the job and not doing any work because they are no managers on night shift. All they care about is if you clock in. Literally all you have to do is show up. This is the laziest place you'll ever work.

Cons

Does not matter how good of an employee you are, or what you do (nuclear pipe welder vs janitor) you get paid the same based off of how long you've been there.

9. "Decent"

Former Employee - Production Planner and Scheduler I

I worked at Huntington Ingalls Industries full-time

Pros

Pretty good benefits package, including 401k matching and a shutdown between Christmas and New Years, although while I was there the benefits got worse. They moved from an unlimited sick leave policy to taking your vacation when you get sick.

Cons

Parking is not very well managed, and if you do not get to work at least 45 minutes early and just sit in you car for a while, you run the risk of not getting a parking spot. Also this is in a very bad section of town with above average crime.

10. "Good Company"

5.0
    Current Employee - Project Management Analyst II in Philadelphia, PA

I have been working at Huntington Ingalls Industries full-time for less than a year

Pros

Great people. Good pay. Boss is Awesome

Cons

No cons at the moment

Found 546 reviews